The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Scripts & Tutorials

Notices

Scripts & Tutorials This forum is for scripts and code, as well as all kinds of tutorials, software, tools and so forth. Remember to give credit!
The thread revival limit does not apply here.

View Poll Results: Should I release the "Region Starter Kit" ?
Yes 22 91.67%
No 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Exiled~Shadow
Once, JJMcay Now Exiled~Shadow

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Exiled~Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Exiled~Shadow
just face it guyz... he's either gone and either isnt coming back for a while or not at all or the idea is dead.... just be patient... if he release's it, he realese's it... how would you feal if you found out his mum died or something and you guys were bugging him to relese it... its a good idea but why dont you just try mapping it yourself?? it makes it more original!

An untold tale of the high seas...
A tale of the dawn of exploration...
A tale that spans time...
A tale, never told before...

Pokémon: Age of Exploration
Coming Soon...

~~~~

Old December 10th, 2008, 07:41 PM
MykehDoom
Team Magma's Entei

Send a message via AIM to MykehDoom Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to MykehDoom Send a message via Yahoo to MykehDoom
Yeah you have a point. I feel bad now.. =/ I'm sorryy..

Old December 10th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Exiled~Shadow

Send a message via Yahoo to Exiled~Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Exiled~Shadow
lol, don't. just be a little more patient...

Coming Soon...

~~~~

Old March 7th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Curt200718
Intermediate Game Developer

Srry for being gone for so long guys and gals...real life got in the way...no worries tho...starting map making again....should be done in a couple weeks hopefully...thanks for those who didnt doubt my return shame on those who did....lol...jk guys...ill keep you guys updated...
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Hall Of Famer
Born as Hall of Famer

I support this project. It looks promising and a lot of game developers will find it helpful for sure.

My sites:
Pokemon Mysidia: http://www.pokemonmysidia.com
Poketube: http://www.pokemonmysidia.org
Pokemon HOF Official site: http://pkmnhalloffame.pokemonmysidia.com
Mysidian's board: www.pokemonmysidia.com/forum

Quote:
Women are beautiful for the simple fact they are women.

Last edited by Hall Of Famer; March 7th, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Exiled~Shadow

Nice to see your back, good luck with the project

Coming Soon...

~~~~

Old March 8th, 2009, 01:53 AM
blueguy
No capitalization required. ;D

Nature: Quirky
Are people so lazy that they can't even map places that have already been mapped for them in the games?
Old March 8th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Soul.//Silver

Nature: Jolly
He is only trying to help people (although I just finished mapping most of overworld Johto a few minutes before I posted this, just need to do the 2 water routes and Cianwood then the inside maps).
But yeah, it will help out a lot of people.
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:06 AM
InMooseWeTrust
Jack of All Trades

Nature: Careful
Send a message via ICQ to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via AIM to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Yahoo to InMooseWeTrust Send a message via Skype™ to InMooseWeTrust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined View Post
He is only trying to help people (although I just finished mapping most of overworld Johto a few minutes before I posted this, just need to do the 2 water routes and Cianwood then the inside maps).
But yeah, it will help out a lot of people.
No, it will just make everyone's games look even more unoriginal.
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Ty 101
Advanced Trainer

I think this idea looks promising.
I was susceptible before I saw your progress.
I think this idea will be very important to pokecommunity if not to many people just use this kit.

Last edited by Ty 101; March 17th, 2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Luka S.J.
S.J.Ware HD

Nature: Adamant
I'm supporting this project to where ever it goes. Although I will be making my own maps, I still think that it's a good idea, since not many people that are making their own games are skilled RPG Maker users. I think that this will bring more people into the custom game making rather than hacking.

PS. By getting the maps, people can use it as layouts for the various areas. If people want to make it more original, they should change the maps at least a little bit to implement their originality
Old March 8th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Curt200718

lol...if you guys dont like the project then dont use it....

I would rather play for hours upon hours going through a new adventure where i can travel to all corners of the Pokemon World and not just restricted to One Region...or some fake region..(Even though some fake regions are looking awsome)

Just to let you guys know I am working on a Custom Region Aswell...not sure if it will be released with this kit or not...

All you guys that dont agree with this project, dont ask me for a download link when im finished...lol

later guys

PS. When I finish I will release the kit in a BETA edition for a couple guys to test out.....I will be looking for some volunteers shortly but not at the moment...

Oh yea, my map's are compatible with RMXP ONLY !
Old March 8th, 2009, 12:15 PM
zingzags
Creator or Pokemon Serenity

It would be good so it can help make ure game longer
Pokemon ebony
and
Xenotime:
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
blueguy
No capitalization required. ;D

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt200718 View Post
lol...if you guys dont like the project then dont use it....

I would rather play for hours upon hours going through a new adventure where i can travel to all corners of the Pokemon World and not just restricted to One Region...or some fake region..(Even though some fake regions are looking awsome)

Just to let you guys know I am working on a Custom Region Aswell...not sure if it will be released with this kit or not...

All you guys that dont agree with this project, dont ask me for a download link when im finished...lol

later guys

PS. When I finish I will release the kit in a BETA edition for a couple guys to test out.....I will be looking for some volunteers shortly but not at the moment...

Oh yea, my map's are compatible with RMXP ONLY !
When's the last time one of these people who can't spell and are eleven, who promise "all teh regionz with all 7000 pokemons," have actually finished their project, or even finished anything but mocking up a couple of screenshots with ****** graphics, no grammar and no common sense?

Of course we'd all like to play a lengthy game with a second region, but what people in this forum need to do is concentrate on their first region, custom or not.
Old March 8th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

I don't see what the problem is with using original ideas. I think I see where people are coming from when they say that there's no originality anymore. And here you are saying that original ideas aren't good, that it is better to just make a crappy game, but if it's long, and contains all the regions, then we've done a good job.

Sorry for the rant, just had to get that out...

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old March 8th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Curt200718

Originally Posted by blueguy View Post
When's the last time one of these people who can't spell and are eleven, who promise "all teh regionz with all 7000 pokemons," have actually finished their project, or even finished anything but mocking up a couple of screenshots with ****** graphics, no grammar and no common sense?

Of course we'd all like to play a lengthy game with a second region, but what people in this forum need to do is concentrate on their first region, custom or not.
lol...ok first off...i see your one of those guys that use perfect grammar while typing huh...lol...well i dont and who cares...i am sure i can spell better than you...i am not a kid...second off all...I have every region done except two routes in Jhoto and the Hoenn Region...the reason being I have to rip alot of the graphics...im on the caves now..about half way done...I still have a few routes to finish as well...and a couple towns..lol...but I am making progress bro...lol...wouldnt it be cool to travel to known areas after yours or someones Else's "Original Region" has been explored ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuoaman View Post
I don't see what the problem is with using original ideas. I think I see where people are coming from when they say that there's no originality anymore. And here you are saying that original ideas aren't good, that it is better to just make a crappy game, but if it's long, and contains all the regions, then we've done a good job.

Sorry for the rant, just had to get that out...
I also dont see the problem with using original ideas....it is actually the best thing to do bro...lol...i dont remember saying anying thing bad about original ideas....and there is nothing wrong with Fake or "Original" Regions....you can impliment your own region into the kit with ease....but I do agree that any noob could put this and essentials and have a crappy game going in days sure....but for the experienced programmers and game developers have almost the entire pokemon world to work with including there own...i have not got any of Sinnoh or other regions not mentioned...

Srry to rant on.....lol...taken a brake from map making...lol...

You guys dont want any screenshots do you ?....let me kno
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Luka S.J.
S.J.Ware HD

Screenshots would be great. I'm sure people are curious what your progress looks like for now.
Old March 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
exteradude
Trainer

Send a message via AIM to exteradude Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to exteradude
I believe that this idea would have both positive and negative aspects to it.

Positive:
-It will make Game Development much easier.
-Those who wish to create new regions would have others already done.
-The regions could be edited as well, making due for a very decent fan-game. This, of course, means that the maps should be able to be accessible from the developer's point of view if he wishes to edit and perhaps add to it. This would require some specific mapping procedures from both you, the creator(s) of this Regional Starter Kit, and those who wish to create the fan-game.
-This would not upper the standards of a good game, as more and more people will get this SK, therefore making it the norm, and adding to the regions already created would be considered not the norm, and it can affect the game positively and negatively (As before).
-This will make it easier for developers to insert a better story, without worrying about mapping and whatnot. At least, not as much, though some people will take it to themselves to edit the maps as much as they can, in which they will be congratulated for their efforts, good or bad.

Negative:
-There will be a lot of users who will create a game only based on those maps. Just add a story and some Pokemon here and there and voila, there's a (then crappy) fan-game. People will frown upon such achievements, and will put to excess the principal of editing the starter kit to the extent that it is considered a more original fan-game. This is, of course, a Starter Kit, which means that it needs to be edited in order to create a game. A mapping SK, like this, requires editing to be original. Therefore, this SK, being a Mapping Starter it, would need to be edited in order to be good.

EDIT: I was away at a doctor's appointment, so let me continue.

Here is some advice.
-After you're finished, go to the Game Creation Resources thread, and post it there. Ask the Mod controlling the main topic if he or she can also put it on the first post, for a decent reference. Of course, create a post on the thread before you ask him/her. You should also wait until the SK is a little more popular.
-Post some screen shots, and try to add as much information as possible. Decorate your post with pictures, colored text and all that. Maybe even pictured headings. This will increase revenue, and more people will be accepting to download it, and thereby see it's awesomeness.
-Create "siggy" images for support and further revenue of users coming to your post.

Something that is a MUST for you to do:
A while back, I opted to expand Blizzy's Starter Kit, which in turn affected me. I did not credit some various benefactors that were primary to the resources that I submitted. Advice: Credits. Lots of them. Create a text file in your project with credits to your supporters, give links to every forum post you've made about the project and credit all who have posted, give credit TO THE GIVERS OF THE RESOURCES, credit Nintendo, credit Poccil if you're using his scripts to create the Starter Kit: Give cred to every single person who has helped you with the project.

I congratulate you on wanting to create a Regional Starter Kit. Keep a lot of things in mind, but this is a great idea.

~Exteradude

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.

Last edited by exteradude; March 10th, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old March 10th, 2009, 06:24 PM
SL1MSHADY
WATCH THE THRONE

Nature: Brave
i support this, but i have a few questions...
1) What tiles will it be using?
2) Is it going to be just the same town, or with your own spin?
3) Can you post up some screenies? cuz i really wanna see some visuals

Old March 11th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Flameguru
Pokemon: Metallic Silver

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt200718 View Post
lol...ok first off...i see your one of those guys that use perfect grammar while typing huh...lol...well i dont and who cares...i am sure i can spell better than you...i am not a kid...second off all...
I care. Would you type up a resume like that? I didn't think so. Second off all? Alright, point proven.

I suggest that you post some screenshots so people know if you are just building hype and are going to just disappear and let all the people who believed and supported this down.
Old March 11th, 2009, 03:28 PM
exteradude
Trainer

Send a message via AIM to exteradude Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to exteradude
Yuoaman does prove a point. But I believe in ya. Just got this feeling.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Curt200718

^THIS IS PIC OF MY PROGRESS -(If you pic its too small for you to read, then save it to your desktop and zoom in it.) That pretty much covers my progress.

Any Maps with "NC" After there name means "Incomplete"....I have more than 80% Percent of the project done....Hoenn is a more detailed region than the others and is taking the longest.

I will show any map you guys want that doesnt have a "NC" beside its name.

Thanks for the Support Everyone !

PS: Thanks for the advice exteradude, also I will be sure to credit everyone who needs to be.

If I have to estimate a First Release date, I would guess one month from now...maybe sooner if I get more time
to work, but like I said im not a kid and I do work....gonna continue on caves...

Last edited by Curt200718; March 11th, 2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:00 PM
exteradude
Trainer

You're doing great! We don't need a release date mainly due to the fact that you're working on it. You're posting, which means that you are.

I would still recommend spicing up the thread a little, however. Also, another piece of advice:

Your project is HUGE. If I were you, I would back it up regularly. I would also put it on a durable flash drive, or perhaps one of the many online storage facilities. (XDrive's closed, but there are so many other options to back up your files without worry.) Also, free web hosts could also host it, depending on the file type.

Also, I'd recommend you releasing the indoor maps from the world. You were wondering about that, correct? Well, it's a Regional Starter Kit, and the indoors are, of course, an essential aspect of the region. It may take a while longer, but it will help the users of your Starter Kit much more.

Also, add midis of the songs for each map, concerning their specific needs. (i.e. Pallet Town music for Pallet Town, et cetera...). Since .mid files are small when compared to the huge .mp3's, it will not only save space, but give the user an idea of what music needs to go where, which will save a lot of research for those who don't know as much about the regions to the point where they have to understand the music to make a game with your SK. They can just add the new music from getting them online, or ripping it, or something along those lines.

Also, post screen-shots of some of the maps. People are really raving for it, and not only will it give people a better chance to download it, but people will be more comfortable when they decide to.

Tell me - Are you using Poccil's Starter Kit for this? If so, are you assigning the maps correctly in the visual editor and providing the World Maps respectively?

Well, that's my advice. XD

~Exteradude
Owner of Many Pies

Old March 12th, 2009, 03:12 PM
swatops
Beginning Trainer

Keep up the good work I support you all the way!
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:17 PM
spike6958
Actor in Training

Nature: Brave
This is interesting, i wasn't sure if a Region Starter Kit would be a good thing or not, what with all the poor projects that have ended up on the forums due to the release of the last starter kit, but this seems like a good idea, in fact if i hadn't have left my Pokémon game in favor of creating a Harry Potter RPG (info on this coming soon to PC) i would be considering using this, if i could come up with a good enough story as for why the Trainer needed/wanted to travel to them

Sponsored Links