The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax

Addressing the new Hacks Showcase changes

You may have questions regarding the changes to the Hacks Showcase forums as of late. This thread aims to address these questions, and any other questions you may have about the structural change to the Hacks Showcase.

Okay, first question. Why?
Over the past few years, the ROM hacking forums have been getting progressively larger. And because of that, we've been getting a lot of hacks. Most hacks submitted to Hacks Showcase have the minimum amount of screenshots, not many changes (just enough to fit in), or are too generic. These may appeal to some people, but not to the crowd of people who browse the forum. There's way too much stuff that's not "good enough", and that's not going to get the attention of people who want decent hacks now, is it?

How does a thread qualify for this forum?
New submissions to the Hacks Showcase must show a significant amount of development. The requirements being discussed at the moment (which temporarily apply now) are:
  • Minimum 10 screenshots.
  • Show a significant amount of development (subject to the discretion of the moderator).
  • Have a playable game.
New changes are being discussed and a rules thread will be put in place soon. The aim of the requirements is to allow hacks of good quality to run through the forum.

Where does my hack start?
All new hacks, unless they meet strict requirements of this forum (see example above), will have to start out in the Progressing Hacks forum, which has the same rules as the original Hacks Showcase. You may request a hack in the Progressing Hacks forum to be moved in the Hacks Showcase if you believe it qualifies.

Doesn't the new "Progressing Hacks" forum make Scrapbox redundant?
No. The Scrapbox will have stricter rules added to it to build around that it is an "ideas" forum, as it was intended to be at the start.

If you have any further questions, here is the place to ask. Stop pestering Britney Spears.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Disturbed
O.o

Heh, you just had to mention that last sentence, didn't you...
fine '

Well, I can't say I support the idea, but I'll adjust to it.
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
Heh, you just had to mention that last sentence, didn't you...
fine -_-'

Well, I can't say I support the idea, but I'll adjust to it.
He didn't name any names, so you really didn't need to make that self-admission.

Curiously, what's to get used to?

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Disturbed
O.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruki Hanai View Post
He didn't name any names, so you really didn't need to make that self-admission.

Curiously, what's to get used to?
Everything.. it's a new feel to this forum now, seeing my favorite section be changed like this

And I intended that self-admission ;D
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Virtual Chatot
Himmelreich

Send a message via AIM to Virtual Chatot
I'm glad the staff has finally decided to impose stricter rules on the Hacking section.
The majority of the projects to hit the scrapbox in the past have never been seen through because the people were to inexperienced and didn't know what they were getting themselves into.
Thanks for finally doing something this mess, hopefully this will clean up the hacking section.

Be careful Haruki, you might get Luke mad for speaking of Brittany Spears XD;
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:38 PM
GKS
Retired Hacker

Nature: Calm
So we need a beta to get it moved from the Progressing Hacks section to the Hack Showcase?
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Virtual Chatot
Himmelreich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium View Post
So we need a beta to get it moved from the Progressing Hacks section to the Hack Showcase?
That's apparently the case, and the scrapbox will be the starting point from which the hack could be developed.
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Black Mage
Master of the Elements
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
He was talking about me. @_@

It's just a better way of organizing the hacks as a whole. The hacks are still there. It's not like one forum is for hacks that are "better." It's just a way of separating the more developed hacks from the ones that are still in the planning/beginning stages of innovation.
+Sneasel™
It's a meeee, itman!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to +Sneasel™
Well, I don't like this very much -_-
Its really just an annoyance, now there are THREE threads to get spammed by hack threads...
The best alternative I would think is to just kill the scrapbox and the progressing hacks sections, and disapprove anything that doesn't belong in the hackshowcase. Less spam, less of a hassle (cause now there is another thread to moderate, i'm sure you guys will really like doing that.)
PLEASE DON'T CRY!
I can't tell you lies...

Don't click this!

PPH - A great hacking forum
linkandzelda
n00b desu ka?

Nature: Careful
i have a question. how come my hack Liquid Crystal is in the hacks showcase when it dosnt have a beta released? i thought that was one of the requirements for it to be there...

link
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Disturbed
O.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Sneasel™ View Post
Well, I don't like this very much
Its really just an annoyance, now there are THREE threads to get spammed by hack threads...
The best alternative I would think is to just kill the scrapbox and the progressing hacks sections, and disapprove anything that doesn't belong in the hackshowcase. Less spam, less of a hassle (cause now there is another thread to moderate, i'm sure you guys will really like doing that.)
That is a brilliant idea, I actually support that all the way.

Please, consider this idea!
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkandzelda View Post
i have a question. how come my hack Liquid Crystal is in the hacks showcase when it dosnt have a beta released? i thought that was one of the requirements for it to be there...

link
Possibly because it seems to have a lot of development planning shown.

Quote:
No, that's no the idea of the reorganisation at all. I think you've just verified what most of the member base thinks - which is false thinking.

That's Our Switch.
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Virtual Chatot
Himmelreich

Quote:
Well, now its technically one section to get spammed by hack threads, but since the majority of those never even last a week anyways, it won't matter.
Which is why a deletion of hack projects in the scrapbox every two weeks or so is a good idea.
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM
TB Pro
Old-timer

Quote:
No, that's no the idea of the reorganisation at all.
Oh really? I do think it would be a good idea. With three sections now, there will be endless spam.
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM
linkandzelda
n00b desu ka?

Nature: Careful
ah. ok well thats true (almost 2 years development counts right? XD) but why is a hack that has a beta still in the progressive hacks showcase? its Pokemon - Top Secret btw. just wondering

link
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Virtual Chatot
Himmelreich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ¿TB Pro™ View Post
Oh really? I do think it would be a good idea. With three sections now, there will be endless spam.
Like I said in the post above yours, there will only be one section that will get the spam
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Megiddo-san
Barium - Summer '12 Return?

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Megiddo-san
It's the mod's decision. It has to have enough dev ito.

Hashire! Asu e tsudzuku shinka no micha wa
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:53 PM
TB Pro
Old-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Chatot View Post
Like I said in the post above yours, there will only be one section that will get the spam
(I didn't see that :O) Not true. Now the n00bs see that they have three areas to spam.
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Quote:
That analogy makes it clear that you don't understand the purpose of the current reorganisation. Go read the first post again.

That's Our Switch.
Old November 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
TB Pro
Old-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruki Hanai View Post
That analogy makes it clear that you don't understand the purpose of the current reorganisation. Go read the first post again.
No it just means I know what's going to happen.
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:01 PM
GKS
Retired Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Chatot View Post
That's apparently the case, and the scrapbox will be the starting point from which the hack could be developed.
My hack was moved from the hack showcase to the Progressing Hacks section. So I got to work on it more.

I think this is a good move, the hack showcase was getting very big, now only the best might get there.
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Virtual Chatot
Himmelreich

Quote:
No it just means I know what's going to happen.
So you haven't realized that the other two sections require a moderator's approval to make a thread in? So then it would be impossible for someone to make a spam thread, eh?
Old November 16th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Quote:
Now the n00bs see that they have three areas to spam.
Regardless, there's no way to stop the "SPAM" that's happening. The changes to the structure aren't aimed at stopping the SPAM to begin with - in fact, the changes have nothing to do with addressing the SPAM.

That's Our Switch.
Old November 16th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Tyrantrum
none pizza with left beef
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
A playable game to get in! :O
Sounds pretty fair, but I better work hard to get my hack in here. o.o;

Nice rules though~

(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Shadows

I hated it that there were hacks that haven't progressed much were in the Showcase so easily.
I'm happy that there is something in the middle now!

Sponsored Links