The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio

Notices

Hacks Studio Hacks Studio is the go-to destination for browsing our curated collection of ROM hacks, all made by PokéCommunity members! Patch, play and enjoy!
(Made a bit of progress on a ROM hack already? Post your projects in the Progressing Hacks forum!)
ROM Hacks are to subject to moderator approval before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Ripper
The Dark Knight

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ripper
Is there any way we could have some title specifics? What I mean is that each Hack in the Showcase should be named...

Pokemon DNA <- In that style, give or take an acute on the 'e'
Hack of Pokemon FireRed <- The subtitle which isn't in bold.

It means that Hacks Showcase thread looks far neater and more professional. It's frustrating to see...
[B.] LANCE'S QUEST [/B.] popping up when it would be far better with higher standards invoked.
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Madridista

Maybe just make Scrapbox and Progressing Hacks sub-forums for Hack Showcase?
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Yoshimi
☆「GANG-STAR」☆

Unlike some people, i actually like the changes, and welcome them.
Even the hacks showcase was becoming a bit like the scrapbox, because there were more and more threads just barely making it in.
with the hacks showcase being upgraded, we can finally see the games with a lot of potential.
but, may I ask what the exceptions are in the hacks showcase?
does the
Quote:
Have a playable game.
apply if a person refuses to send a beta for reasons, but has a lot of potential?
and if a person is working on a hack for a certain amount of time, can it also be accepted?
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Tyrantrum
none pizza with left beef
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madridista View Post
Maybe just make Scrapbox and Progressing Hacks sub-forums for Hack Showcase?
Actually, that's not a bad idea. :)
Except, leave the scrapbox as is, because those are hacks that don't get enough attention and aren't always progressing.
As for the sub-forum under the hacks showcase for the progressing hacks, that;s a good idea. ;)

(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:31 PM
.Seth
.explorer.

Nature: Quiet
I think the new changes are pretty cool. Although, kind of sudden. :/
Meh.

@.Pichu-kun: Even though I'm not very familiar with vBulletin, I don't think you can add a sub-forum to a sub-forum. Not really sure, but, you know.
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Kaizer-X
RoM HaCkeR

Thanks man, it makes sense now lol. Interestin changes too and it seemed fair to those hacks that have a lot of work put into them.

LINKS:
MY HACK:
Pokemon Twilight: Road to Dreams
MY TEAM:
Rom Tempest Crew
NEWLETTER:
Rom Hacking Newsletter
Credit to Rényui for theme
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
It's a good change. The Hacks Showcase is now a proper "Showcase". Oh man, I just realised how similar to Competitive battling tiers they are.
Showcase hacks are like OU Pokemon, special and all.
Scrapbox hacks are like UU's, not so good.
Progressing ones are like BL's, stuck right in the middle.
xD
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lakitu View Post
Scrapbox hacks are like UU's, not so good.
Correction. Scrapbox will have little do with with actual hacks very soon. Rules will be made to convert it into purely an ideas forum.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Oh. Then we won't need the Quick Storyline thread anymore.

Wait, then we don't have really, really, bad quality hacks anymore?
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Ripper
The Dark Knight

Quick Storyline was more for actual games I thought...
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Thrace
@tion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lakitu View Post
Oh. Then we won't need the Quick Storyline thread anymore.

Wait, then we don't have really, really, bad quality hacks anymore?
Hopefully not, we won't be approving just any hack from now on. It'll have to be up to a certain standard before we approve the thread.
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
So is there going to be an Ideas thread or not?
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:28 AM
TB Pro
Old-timer

Alright, guys. I would like to say that the more I read and hear about the rules, the better they sound. I guess I was just mad to begin, because this is what I've known for ages as the Hacking section, and changing it was kinda a big deal. Sorry for any trouble I caused.
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:05 AM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
The changes are very nice.
although at first I thought that the Progressing Hacks is the place where the awesome hacks are located when I saw my poor hack in the Showcase.

Guess I was a bit confused when I first saw the changes yesterday~

Anyways, so the scrapbox will now have strict rules from then on, huh?
that is really what it needs so we can prevent PC from getting 'full' of unnecessary threads.

anyways, good luck with the changes and new rules and all.
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:26 AM
linkandzelda
n00b desu ka?

Nature: Careful
well i have to say that i dont like the changes for one reason. its making people leave PC and i dont want that. especially when there good hackers :)

link
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Zeikku™
Johto remaker

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Zeikku™
Read my Siggy, i think it explains everything.

Follow me on Twitter by clicking on my signature.
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pounder_Zeikku View Post
Read my Siggy, i think it explains everything.
Real mature, actually.

…get real. I have never seen such a ridiculous form of uproar in this manner to begin with over a semantic change. Is there some refusal to be in "progressing hacks" or something? That's a lame reason to begin with.

Progressing Hacks is the original showcase. Hacks Showcase is for what seems to be hacks with a lot of effort put in them. If you want to move up, make sure your hack isn't the kind that disappears after a few months of you announcing it. Spend the so-called "quality time" you'd generally spend with a hack and it will make it into Hacks Showcase. Prove you've spent this time refining it, even.

Your signature also brings up a point that's still moot. Hack threads have never been approved with "two screenshots" - the process has required four for a matter of years now. These "minimum" requirements allow mediocre hacks to be displayed in the Hacks Showcase. And really? They're bare minimum and they don't show so much effort besides reusing tile set after tile set. And then they eventually disappear.

The changes attempt to address for change. There's not much real changes restricting anyone to begin with.

So I'll address some of your signature's points just because they prove the points of the moderators who decided on the change.

Quote:
I am leaving Pokecommunity because of it's new showcase rule. So basically I have to work just as hard to get a hack like Steel Version into progressing hacks...and even harder to get it showcase.
First, when I said you were "mature" out of pure sarcasm, I would've liked to point out how pathetic you sound.

The "work" required to get your hack into the showcase isn't a very hard minimum at all. The requirements prove you actually spend time working on your hack. You didn't really need to work too much to get your hack into Progressing Hacks to begin with, so you're really over-emphasizing its requirement.

Quote:
as if to say certain hacks aren't good enough and that us hackers don't try enough. I put a lotta effort into my hacks..who else you know makes their own graphics for their own hacks..and doesn't use any other peoples?
Do you know the reality? Sorry, but unless you've moderated here, you won't ever know what we mean about certain hackers not trying enough. Now, let's see your "effort" - you seem to have worked a bit for Clear Diamond, yet unfortunately you haven't actually ventured far enough into development. And the thread is locked. What's that indicate? That your hack is going to drop off the map sometime soon. Hacks Showcase is full of these ticking time bombs. The changes are meant to address that.

Quote:
I remember in seeing Green Charizards DP partial graphics makeover hack, thinking it was amazing, original concept. Nowadays if a hack like that was posted, moderators would send it to progressing hacks or not even approve it.
You're really proving you know nothing about these changes. Any hack starts in Progressing Hacks until it's proven that a significant deal of development is made for it. And if you've made a great deal of effort already, let's see it through a submission straight to Hacks Showcase and see if it qualifies. Been working on a hack without rest for six months? Let's see the fruits of that effort shine in Hacks Showcase.

Quote:
But if this place ain't broken, DON'T fix it.
Since you're not a moderator, don't expect that you know what's broken and what's not.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Ripper
The Dark Knight

I don't get how someone can leave because of this... It doesn't seem logical at all, the only differences between the old system and the news system is that PC is now organised and we can see what hacks are playable and what hacks aren't. Only idiots who can't comprehend the new system will leave, which is good, as PC is only being made worse by the new ammount of idiotic noobs joining who don't know squat.
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:13 PM
TB Pro
Old-timer

Really, Haruki. I have to agree with Zeikku. I'm not leaving PC, but we are all entitled to our opinions, and you seem to not care. Like Zeikku stated, "If it aint broken don't fix it". As members of this forum, we can see enough. I'm not saying the old way was flawless, it needed SOMETHING done to alter the course it was taking, but not like this. This is a step in the wrong direction, if you ask me. You opinion on Zeikku's hack not progressing, you don't know the half of it. If you would read his posts he made a great deal of progress, just to be wiped out by bugs, and re-formatting. Don't just assume things without looking deeper. I have lost my respect for this board, and most of the staff. There are a select few that still deserve my respect(Thrace, Blazichu).
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
+Sneasel™
It's a meeee, itman!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to +Sneasel™
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I don't get how someone can leave because of this... It doesn't seem logical at all, the only differences between the old system and the news system is that PC is now organised and we can see what hacks are playable and what hacks aren't. Only idiots who can't comprehend the new system will leave, which is good, as PC is only being made worse by the new ammount of idiotic noobs joining who don't know squat.
...that wasn't very nice...
But yea, I guess I can see how the progressing hacks section will help...
Oh, and you know, it was easy to tell which hacks are playable and which hacks are not from before, all you had to do was see if the thread had an attachment before you clicked it (it's a paperclip).
But let's see how this ends up working out...
PLEASE DON'T CRY!
I can't tell you lies...

Don't click this!

PPH - A great hacking forum
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Did I actually directly stare that his hack isn't progressing? That would not be deliberate. Now, I've stated this before; if you think your hack qualifies for the Hacks Showcase, ask for it to be moved.

The decision to reorganise the forums was a joint decision by all three moderators of the forum. And I debate what most of you guys say not because I'd rather not hear your opinions, but rather because I don't think you guys see where this is coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ¿TB Pro™ View Post
This is a step in the wrong direction, if you ask me.
So, if you want to test the system like this, then it's only fair that you give detailed reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ¿TB Pro™ View Post
I have lost my respect for this board, and most of the staff. There are a select few that still deserve my respect(Thrace, Blazichu).
You also made a point about your opinions being ignored. With comments like that, do you really deserve that kind of respect?

That's Our Switch.
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
+Sneasel™
It's a meeee, itman!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to +Sneasel™
Well, I have a suggestion now, it may not be needed but...
Maybe you should have another mod for the ROM hacking section.
Because now there are gonna be more hacks that are gonna need approval and there is a whole other section now...It'll help stay organized more, and it'll make work easier on you guys.
I know that a new mod was just added (Thrace) but that doesn't mean that another one so soon shouldn't be a skipped idea...
PLEASE DON'T CRY!
I can't tell you lies...

Don't click this!

PPH - A great hacking forum
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Sneasel™ View Post
Well, I have a suggestion now, it may not be needed but...
Maybe you should have another mod for the ROM hacking section.
Because now there are gonna be more hacks that are gonna need approval and there is a whole other section now...It'll help stay organized more, and it'll make work easier on you guys.
I know that a new mod was just added (Thrace) but that doesn't mean that another one so soon shouldn't be a skipped idea...
I don't believe that for any reason, the moderation levels will change that significantly.

That's Our Switch.
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Zeikku™
Johto remaker

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Zeikku™
Immature haruki?, I think I made valid points.
Why should PC have to change? Ok so there are more requirements, but it's nothing moderators can't cover. Regarding Clear Diamond I had mapped up and scripted up to eterna forest before my rom got errors, it's not like I've quit it. I've gotten the furthest in D/P premaking. That's something no one else has done.
On important issues, we now have 3 sections, do you think that honestly makes things easier.
I'm not having a go at you guys, I don't dislike you guys, I think you ALL do a great job.
But The PC I used to remember used to be easy going and layed back.
Where everyone used to be more active. I think it's good you guys made the scrapbox and the progressing hacks thing actually.
But I don't think 3 people should judge on what they want in showcase/ progressing hacks..let the people decide on what should move to where.
Thats the whole point of pokeCOMMUNITY!
people of a community throwing ideas together.
Staff just help maintain order and peace.
I respect you a lot haruki, even though my posts don't show it.

Follow me on Twitter by clicking on my signature.
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Disturbed
O.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pounder_Zeikku View Post
Immature haruki?, I think I made valid points.
Why should PC have to change? Ok so there are more requirements, but it's nothing moderators can't cover. Regarding Clear Diamond I had mapped up and scripted up to eterna forest before my rom got errors, it's not like I've quit it. I've gotten the furthest in D/P premaking. That's something no one else has done.
On important issues, we now have 3 sections, do you think that honestly makes things easier.
I'm not having a go at you guys, I don't dislike you guys, I think you ALL do a great job.
But The PC I used to remember used to be easy going and layed back.
Where everyone used to be more active. I think it's good you guys made the scrapbox and the progressing hacks thing actually.
But I don't think 3 people should judge on what they want in showcase/ progressing hacks..let the people decide on what should move to where.
Thats the whole point of pokeCOMMUNITY!
people of a community throwing ideas together.
Staff just help maintain order and peace.
I respect you a lot haruki, even though my posts don't show it.
Beautifully said. I respect each and every member of the staff, and every member here. But this change is not acceptible in the eyes of the hackers. 18/24 people I talked to over the past two days do not like the changes. Something really must be done about this.

And besides, if it is causing this much trouble already, why not change the community back to the great place for hacking like it used to be?

Disturbed out.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links