Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 1st, 2009 (05:17 PM).
Nytkoi
Pokemon Copper!

Quote originally posted by Poké-fyu:
I think the newer poke sel. screen has a more calmer feel to it. The old one (green and orange) sort of yelled loudly at me with its bright colors. o.0
Haha, well thanks!

Quote originally posted by h POKE:
That's a big improvement on the old one. If you're going to continue in the R/S/E style, let me make a few more in-depth suggestions to make it go from good to great:
-I like the shadow you've done between the yellow and the light blue. Considering that we're not constricted to the GBA's limitations here, why not expand that to other sections of the screen (don't go overboard, 'cause that'll just make it look busy). But do go for a more complex shadow around each of the pokemon boxes (and the section where the edge meets the background on the first pokemon).
-Pokemon selection boxes: Use a color that more closely matches the blue in the background on the individual boxes. Also, instead of that drab, two-tone "gradient", why don't you use a more clean and modern style (of gradient)? When the box is unselected, I would suggest putting the darkest shade of blue in the center, and then working brighter as you go out on both sides (don't be cheasy! Go manual for this procedure!). When it is selected, I would suggest putting the lightest shade of blue in the center, then getting darker toward the edges.
-There's a small bead of blue on the bottom of the box that says "Choose a pokemon." It may not seem like it matters to you immediately, but trust me, it does.
Well, first of all, I'm glad you think it's an improvement. Now, let me see what you said...
-First one: So you're saying to give all fo the blue boxes with the pokemon information inside them (ie. WOLING, has HP bar and such) a drop shadow? that's what that's called. I did it in photoshop. I've also been thinking; mabye I'm going a bit too, well, photoshop-y. Most video games have pixels, esepcially the pokemon games. You don't see graphics in the Pokemon Games. x.x; But hey, we can always change it here.
-Second one: Hmm. What do you mean two tone gradient? I have no gradient in there. o.o;; Well, you think I should put in a gradient? Well, I'll try it out and see how it looks ;P. As for the other thing you said about cheesy and all that, I will try that out as well. But alas; it's getting late where we live. In two or three hours I'll have to leave; probably much sooner. We haven't had dinner yet x.x. So I'll try all this out tommorow.
-Third one: Could you point out the 'bead' to me?

i am a graphic designer :: want to help me w/ pokemon copper?
Old January 2nd, 2009 (09:13 AM).
~JV~
Dev of Pokémon Uranium

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to ~JV~
Yeah, as the other ppl said, the new color combination is looking better, keep improving ;p.
Old January 2nd, 2009 (09:32 AM).
Nytkoi
Pokemon Copper!

Thanks, JV. Now, here is a little sample screenshot just to show I'm still working on events, towns, and such. This screenshot features the newest event: Why si a little boy and girl blocking the path? What do you have to do to make them move? ;o Also, once I'm done with the new hero OW and hero back sprite, I'll make a small video. Now, I'll release the answer new 3 days, so get your trys in now.
What do you have to do to make the little boy and girl move?
This poll will be closed on January 4th.

Here is the screen of Niecawave City:

Old January 2nd, 2009 (11:17 AM).
Lady Berlitz
Cinnamon ♪

Nature: Adamant
Nice screenshot, Nytkoi! But it looks like the textbox, or screen overall, is a bit weird. It's probably because the window is too small? Also, try using the FR/LG signpost instead of the one you're currently using, it makes it look a lot better.
██_______██
_█▲▲▲▲▲▲▲█_
_█████████_
_██_____██_
Old January 2nd, 2009 (11:21 AM).
Nytkoi
Pokemon Copper!

I agree. The textbox used to look worse. I need to find the text scripts so I can find out what's wrong with them.

Old January 2nd, 2009 (01:37 PM).
-Link-
FUDGE YEAAAH

Nature: Bold
try and make more like an inner green inner background ( scince the sides were green )

Brother: Apple Juice, Nytkoi and Relevant
Sonic Buddie: .emma-kun
Old January 2nd, 2009 (02:43 PM).
h POKE
angry kid and a keyboard

Ooh, ooh! I have an idea on how to get them to move! Shoot 'em down. Whatever is in that house has to be worth more than the lives of two annoying NPC's.
Anyways, to answer your questions about the menu:
-I don't know about a drop shadow altogether, maybe just more modern shading. As with all generations, the graphics are improved slightly, and with fewer limitations, I don't see how making the graphics a little cleaner (or at least just by improving continuity between the terrain drop shadow and the GBA "shadows on the boxes) would hurt. I do see your point about looking too photoshop-y. That's why I've changed my mind a bit.
-I put gradient in quotations marks because the intermingling of the two shades of blue on the boxes gives the optical illusion that there are more colors than there really are. I don't know how it will look, but my idea was that the individual boxes would look like buttons that you push up and down or plates (if there is no pokemon in the slot).
-Alright. Look below, in my crude cave drawing:
Say this is the bottom of the textbox
Will NOT be here next week.
Old January 3rd, 2009 (04:29 PM).
Nytkoi
Pokemon Copper!

Well, it's pretty late, so I'll edit this post to rightfully answer your suggestions. For now, I'll say that they sound pretty good.
Old January 6th, 2009 (03:55 PM).
CloudKitteh
Gameboys are MAGICAL!

Nature: Naive
Wow you are improving alot!

Old January 6th, 2009 (05:10 PM).
<~F.M.P~>
I got you whistling Blue Box!

Nature: Mild
Send a message via AIM to <~F.M.P~> Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to <~F.M.P~>
Nytoki...didn't you mention something about the starter pokemon a while back?...I'd love to see the 3 in the next update if possible...anyway, your game is looking good as always. Keep it up
Old January 10th, 2009 (09:29 AM).
Auistle
seTranquility.

Nytkoi, you have a pretty solid game going on here. I'd like to post some suggestions/ideas/constructive crit, if you don't mind. I'm a fellow gamer, so they won't be nooby.

The overall game is pretty well done. It's structure is well, and the maps look pretty solid. Yet, I can see right through what you're doing. You're trying to give your maps a 'real' look. Even if this is a great look, it's hard to come by. Take a look at PokemonOI's Pokemon Malachite; I think he has the maps you're aiming for. Also, on to some other things. The tiles are pretty relevant recolors, but you might want to edit some of the shading here and there. Tiles are very important, as you hopefully already knew. Your game's graphics seem as solid as your maps, and guessing by your skill in graphic design, I'd say it's about to get better. I can also see you're trying to catch up with some of the other games in updates. That's fine as well. It's never bad to catch up. You're game is pretty good, but I think a block is starting to form on your road to finishing the game. Fakemon. I've taken a look at you're spriters; they aren't that active. I suggest you act fast. Also, now that you've found the light and understood how to make battles, that's pretty much all you need to do. I also think you might even be able to make a video sooner or later. Good luck.
[/constructivecritism] XD
Old January 17th, 2009 (02:17 PM).
Nytkoi
Pokemon Copper!

Wow, amazing crit, Auistle. Thank you!

Old January 17th, 2009 (02:20 PM).
Pokestylez
Beginning Trainer

But wich game hack is it or isnt it a hack??

Nicely done..

Gonna check it out later.
Old January 17th, 2009 (02:33 PM).
Nytkoi
Pokemon Copper!

No, it's not a hack. :/ It's a game developed in RMXP.

Old January 19th, 2009 (02:51 PM).
ryushin5
In College YAY! :3

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to ryushin5
Hey Nytkoi are you planning any update soon? :D
Old January 20th, 2009 (01:59 PM).
Nytkoi
Pokemon Copper!

Yes, actually I am. And It's almost ready. SO stay tuned!

Old January 20th, 2009 (03:12 PM).
Blazers
L.A.S.E.R.S.

Sounds good.
I better be impressed..=)
Old January 20th, 2009 (03:14 PM).
Nytkoi
Pokemon Copper!

Oh, thank you Blazers.
Sorry for forgetting, but the poll I posted earlier which no one answered is closed. The answer was to fight in that japanese arena. But, the next update will show something or someone who won't let you in without a fight! Coming soon~

Old January 20th, 2009 (06:00 PM).
h POKE
angry kid and a keyboard

I love posting just before updates =( It's what I happen to be good at... And besides I answered your survey! You WERE supposed to shoot them, correct? Oh well. However, you still didn't reply to my suggestion from a while ago. Did you take them into account?
Old January 21st, 2009 (01:14 PM).
Nytkoi
Pokemon Copper!

Ah yes, but my computer froze while in process, and I haven't gotten to trying again xD; I hopefully will soon enough.

Old January 24th, 2009 (05:16 AM).
.emma-kun
accumilate.

Wow! I have been gone so long :/ You never told me you were intrested in this! Anyways, great work! You're amazing at graphics and RMXP now! 8D

Old January 24th, 2009 (07:20 AM).
Nytkoi
Pokemon Copper!

Pokemon Moonlight: The Mystery of PokeRus

The newest update of Pokemon Moonlight!

Welcome to Pokemon Moonlight, the Mystery of PokeRus! After a week or two of a very sad tradedgy, which is quoted here from one of my threads:

Quote:
Well, today at school, we were having a normal any other day. Me and my friends were laughing and doing our work, and introducing the new girl in our class. That is, until an hour ago...

Our teachers took us into a 6th grade teacher's old room, which was cleaned out. Then, the principal came in. We all thought is was just a lockdown. ( a lockdown is when someone comes into your school and sells things with out going to the office first. That means the person is a stranger and could harm the children. Then the teachers bring us all to a certain room and lock the door untill the get the Okay Sign in their walkie-talkies.)

Anyways, when we thought it was a lockdown. You see, I have a best friend. A year and a month ago, he was diagonsed with Lupus. (More information about this tragic sickness here.) But, at first it wasn't that serious. He was doing fine, and made friends (ie. Me) and played sports as usual. Yet, the first month, his mother hesitated about going outside becuase he was first showing symptoms of Lupus at a soccer game.

Now, back to the 'lockdown'. Well, it was no lockdown... On the last week of christmas break, this friend of me caught the flu, only making his serious sickness worse. So, it all resulted this morning.

He died.

It was very sad; I can't believe I'm bringing myself to type about this. All of the kids in our class started bawling, and after a few minutes, we were sent to our rooms. Note that this was after lunchtime. Soon, the principal called his best friends to have a talk with them. With suprise, she called out my name, Eneko's name, and someone else's. We went to the prinipal's and discussed what happened. It was very sad. Then, the teachers started asking their students if they wanted to leave. It's very logical to let us leave early; we were all crying so we couldn't focus on work.

And guess what? I had a dental appointment today o.o'

This thread is just to ask some other members if one of their close friends have passed away, and how tragic it was. Of course, if you don't feel like posting about it, that is perfectly fine with me.
To view the whole thread, click here. This quote was posted January 7th, 2009

This, along with midterms, has made Pokemon Moonlight take a few steps back in development. OF course, it wasn't completly stopped, but with midterms and the thought of a loved one that had passed away, it's kind of hard to make a game. But, I started working on the game some more this weekend, and today I have quite a bit to show you all.

What's this? A New Hero?

That's right! Just as I promised, I would give you the new hero/heroine soon. Here are some screenshots of the character in action!
credit to me for the back sprite, credit to esmas and $_$ for OW.

All images, sprites, pokemon, ideas, etc. are copyright
Pokemon Moonlight 2008. Do not steal.

The Newest Event of January!

This is the newest thing I have done in Pokemon Moonlight. Like I said, you must go into the japanese house and defeat whatever's in there for those two NPCs to move. Well, to get in the house, someone is blocking the way.

What to Expect!

This is the section where I talk about what to expect in the next update. Hopefully, it will feature some of the things listed here:
  • Heroine Sprites
  • Professor Oak Sprites
  • More New Jinju Fakemon
  • More Events/Maps

Again, this is Nytkoi, signing out! Stay tuned for more updates on Pokemon Moonlight! Support today!
All images, sprites, pokemon, ideas, etc. are copyright
Pokemon Moonlight 2008. Do not steal.

Old January 24th, 2009 (07:14 PM).
h POKE
angry kid and a keyboard

Ahh... Very crisp colors on the new hero OW. I also find the backsprite... interesting- for virtue of the oddly shaped hat. Needless to say, you may want to work on that a little.
Also, I can\'t help but notice a few little glitches you made with the trees in the first and fourth screenshots.
One final observation: move the text in regular textboxes up, up, up!
Old January 24th, 2009 (09:23 PM).
Likewise
Bye.

haha, yay $_$ sprites!
the text box looks weird to me...
the text goes below the border which isn't good.
The backsprites look a bit blocky and the hat is square, too straight epsecially on the top of the hat, it makes it look a bit akward.
Other than that awesome job!
Really this is one of your best updates :D
Bye to all my friends, I'll still be talking to you on msn.
Old January 25th, 2009 (04:58 AM).
Lady Berlitz
Cinnamon ♪

Nature: Adamant
Haha, I don't know who sprites the back sprite of the hero, but it looks like he/she didn't have much spriting experience. Well, I fixed the hat and some other miscellaneous parts. It still looks a bit strange, but not as strange as before. :3 Clicky.
██_______██
_█▲▲▲▲▲▲▲█_
_█████████_
_██_____██_
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links