The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:30 PM
rbedsole

Nature: Quiet
im having trouble connecting maps in leaf green i changed pallet town so you exit from the right side and im tryin to connect it to route one from the left and when i click connections it shows connection number direction offset map bank map no and zero out so how do i get the connections right so that it connects in the right areas
Old October 22nd, 2011, 04:40 AM
AlfaTyrogue
Swag.

rbedsole: Every map has a number (x.y) x is the map bank, y is the map no. If your route shall connect to Pallet Town (map 3.0) set map bank to 3 and map no. to 0.

I'm trying to make a bridge over a cliff (movement permission 1). But when I set the bridge tile to behavior byte 08 00 it thinks I can pass through the cliff when on ground level.
What should I do?
Old November 28th, 2011, 04:16 AM
The Void
Iron hand in a velvet glove

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaTyrogue View Post
I'm trying to make a bridge over a cliff (movement permission 1). But when I set the bridge tile to behavior byte 08 00 it thinks I can pass through the cliff when on ground level.
What should I do?
Make sure the movement permission is set to 3C.

Last edited by The Void; November 29th, 2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old December 14th, 2011, 09:49 PM
AustinWolff
has left

Nature: Brave
so for the var value in Amap, what do I put into those 0000 things in Amap when making a script box? oh, and if there is anything wrong with my script please tell me! I use pokescript and a ruby rom.

Spoiler:
#org $script
setvar 0x6000 0x1
lock
faceplayer
message $hey
$hey 1 = ?????: Psst. Hey, are you the\nlittle kid?\p\v\h01: Yes.
boxset 6
applymovement 3 $move
pausemove 0
message $talk
$talk 1 = ?????: Here are your badges\nAgent \v\h01.
boxset 6
setflag 0x807
setflag 0x808
setflag 0x809
setflag 0x80C
setflag 0x80D
message $badge
$badge 1 = \v\h01 recieved 5 Mission Badges.
boxset 6
applymovement 0xFF $move3
pausemove 0
message $why
$why 1 = \v\h01: Where's the other 3?\p?????: They were stolen.\nUnfortunately you will have\lto get the other 3 on your own.\nGood luck, agent.
boxset 6
fadescreen 0x1
removesprite 0x3
pause 0x10
setflag 0x1200
release
fadescreen 0x0
end

#org $move
#raw 0x56
#raw 0x07
#raw 0x07
#raw 0x05
#raw 0xFE

#org $move3
#raw 0x57
#raw 0xFE
Old December 18th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Facelift

Nature: Adamant
Thanks a lot man, you don't see that many Advance Map tutorials that focus on stuff other than mapping, you know.

Perfect for newbies.

Hail to the king, baby.
Army of Darkness
Old December 18th, 2011, 01:31 PM
X80relianthope

thank you so much for posting this tutorial because of this i now know what i am doing when i goto map, and because of that once i get 15 posts ill have to post my map in the map rating thread to get better :D thank you so much
Old January 1st, 2012, 04:15 PM
MissDigitalis
Mime Jr.

Hmm... I'm still not sure how to change the direction of the map.

Like in Fire Red if I wanted to go to a new area to the left instead of up how would I make a new area to the left?

Old January 1st, 2012, 08:35 PM
Ryuzaku
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
Well, as I said, it's a good tutorial for newcomers, I didn't find Advance Map too hard to understand when I started hacking a long time ago, so I never needed tutorials, it's the same case with many other people.
i agree with you on the fact that advance map is easy to under stand, but the warp tile part of this tutorial could be very helpful to people that want to create a legendary pokemon event. i personally was wondering if advance map could be used to turn the deoxys event into a mew event. if it can, how do i do it and if if cant do u no wat can?
Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:15 PM
MissDigitalis
Mime Jr.

Er.. how would you rearrange the towns?

Like for example I want Pewter City to be to the South west of Pallet Town instead of northward.

basically I want my map to look like this...

I know there's another thread for editing the map item but I don't understand how to make the map pieces connect in this order.

Last edited by MissDigitalis; January 3rd, 2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:29 AM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDigitalis View Post
Er.. how would you rearrange the towns?

Like for example I want Pewter City to be to the South west of Pallet Town instead of northward.

basically I want my map to look like this...

I know there's another thread for editing the map item but I don't understand how to make the map pieces connect in this order.
Search around on the internet for advance map 1.92. It has a built-in map editor, where you can define which towns go where. The newer version of A-map doesn't have this function yet. Also, If you expanded the rom, don't use A-map.

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:55 AM
MissDigitalis
Mime Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
Search around on the internet for advance map 1.92. It has a built-in map editor, where you can define which towns go where. The newer version of A-map doesn't have this function yet. Also, If you expanded the rom, don't use A-map.

Ooh... I see now. Thank you very much!

Er.... but I still have a problem hacking the map item. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...6&postcount=75

Old January 3rd, 2012, 04:26 PM
redriders180
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via AIM to redriders180 Send a message via Skype™ to redriders180
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDigitalis View Post
Ooh... I see now. Thank you very much!

Er.... but I still have a problem hacking the map item. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...6&postcount=75
Which part is confusing you?

Superfan of Pokemon Glazed? Click here to join the official Pokemon Glazed Facebook Page!

Thank you for hatching the eggs!
Please view these dragons! Just click them and you're done!
If you don't help them grow up, they'll die...

Old January 4th, 2012, 02:00 PM
MissDigitalis
Mime Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
Which part is confusing you?
well it gets messed up once I try to load the raw and then I don't understand the part about the offsets.

Also, is there a way for me to duplicate map pieces with different names?

Example:
I want to use the format for route 1 several times but I want to be able to edit each instance of it individually and make it connect to different places.

Old January 6th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Meez

Nature: Bold
I am still a bi t confused
and even if i wanted to start a rom hack i need help right
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Corymo45
Beginning Trainer

How would you completely change the type of pokemon? If I'm using emerald and I want to have johto pokemon.. What program would I use?
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:34 AM
The Void
Iron hand in a velvet glove

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corymo45 View Post
How would you completely change the type of pokemon? If I'm using emerald and I want to have johto pokemon.. What program would I use?
Although this is completely unrelated to the thread you are posting in, I'd say... YAPE. Not only could you change the Pokemon's type, but you can change its abilities, stats, movesets, evolutionary lines, and Pokedex entries as well!
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Corymo45
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon456 View Post
Although this is completely unrelated to the thread you are posting in, I'd say... YAPE. Not only could you change the Pokemon's type, but you can change its abilities, stats, movesets, evolutionary lines, and Pokedex entries as well!
Sorry I'm new to this site and was scanning through, looking for a quick answer..
But in YAPE can you change the entire region? Or only individual pokemon?
Old January 15th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Pr4da
Beginning Trainer

thanks for the tutotial .
Old January 29th, 2012, 11:46 AM
brokencandle
Expert Hacker

Does anybody know how to create maps as a seperate map? And not part of the existing ones? Whenever I try and make a new map, it works fine. I can edit it, etc. But then when I try to 'insert' it, (Create new space -> new bank -> insert), it ends up being part of another map - littleroot town.

I wouldn't mind that, but because I wanted to change the name of my map, it ends up changing the whole thing. How do I make it as a separate item on the side - for example, where it says 'Littleroot town', 'Lilycove City', 'Route 101', and not part of other ones? Thanks.

I would post screenies but I haven't got the required post count to do so .
Old January 29th, 2012, 02:38 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencandle View Post
Does anybody know how to create maps as a seperate map? And not part of the existing ones? Whenever I try and make a new map, it works fine. I can edit it, etc. But then when I try to 'insert' it, (Create new space -> new bank -> insert), it ends up being part of another map - littleroot town.

I wouldn't mind that, but because I wanted to change the name of my map, it ends up changing the whole thing. How do I make it as a separate item on the side - for example, where it says 'Littleroot town', 'Lilycove City', 'Route 101', and not part of other ones? Thanks.

I would post screenies but I haven't got the required post count to do so .
FireRed and LeafGreen have a couple unused ones, and Emerald has all the FireRed ones as unused, plus a couple other unused ones.

If you want to make a new one you're going to have to do a lot of repointing.

Old February 5th, 2012, 05:42 AM
brokencandle
Expert Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
FireRed and LeafGreen have a couple unused ones, and Emerald has all the FireRed ones as unused, plus a couple other unused ones.

If you want to make a new one you're going to have to do a lot of repointing.
Thanks for the response.

I tried to use the unused FireRed ones on Emerald, but each time I try and create a map and then insert it, it always puts it under the littleroot town category. I tried creating a new bank and everything.

What does repointing involve?
Old February 5th, 2012, 07:54 AM
NG55

are you able to take a map from one game and put it in another, i want to modify Pokemon Gary Edition and make the maps the same as in Ash Gray so it's actually Gary instead of Blue. I've even recoloured Blue to look like Gary from Ash Gray, even though you just change the palette number and fix some colours.
Old February 5th, 2012, 01:11 PM
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG55 View Post
are you able to take a map from one game and put it in another, i want to modify Pokemon Gary Edition and make the maps the same as in Ash Gray so it's actually Gary instead of Blue. I've even recoloured Blue to look like Gary from Ash Gray, even though you just change the palette number and fix some colours.
Yes, you can, but it's all manual work. You have to insert the tileset, fix the pallet, and then finally port in the actual map.

Old February 9th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Gadbah
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poddish View Post
to do that, select the header tab, it should say the name of the maps 2 times, click on the arrow on the 1st one, and select the new name for that map (note: if you change the name of the second one, ALL maps with the same name change) save, then either x out of a-map, or change another map's name, change maps through the map name header and when it asks you if you want to save click no, and the map should have the name you want
Hey man this doesn't seem to work for me... When yoiu say "Select the new name" isn't it by clicking on the "blank" name and type the new one you desire? Because, when I do that it is actually saved as a " " map without name... :/
A little help?
Old February 11th, 2012, 09:30 AM
djfunky
Unhatched Egg

Thanks for the tut!
It's rlly helpfull

Sponsored Links