The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old Posted May 1st, 2009 (04:55 AM).
Sophidius
Need a storyline? PM me!

Nature: Quiet
How do you connect maps without having the border blocks between them?
Now, when I insert the tiles and I want to connect the maps so they overlap it doesn't show the other at all, just the border blocks. How do I fix this?
(btw, It's about the starting town and route 1 which is on the right of the starting town)

Did you know that Mewtwo is actually a crossing between Marowak (Cubone's mother from Pokemon Tower) and Mew? O_o
Old Posted May 3rd, 2009 (11:01 PM).
stargate1995
Mr. Flying Pickle Monster

Nature: Calm
for some reason my warps wont work they warp me to the right place but somewhere random in the room,could someone help me?

Ultimate solo run with Kabutops

Current challenges:
Ultimate solo run with Nidoking, [K][J][H][S][U]
Black part of solo rune with Kabutops

Evidently I like solo challenges

Metagross and salamence fan
Old Posted May 4th, 2009 (01:12 AM).
Count

Nature: Bold
Ohh I needed this, thanks. :3

I still think that replacing tiles is really confusing. @_@ If anyone could help me by clearing it up for me that would be great. :'D
Old Posted May 4th, 2009 (10:15 AM).
Try4se
Try4se

Nature: Serious
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate1995 View Post
for some reason my warps wont work they warp me to the right place but somewhere random in the room,could someone help me?
Go to the map you are warping to.
Go to events.
Create a new warp, and put it where you want the person to end up.
Record what number the warp is.
Go to the other map.
Click on the other warp.
It will say
Quote:
To Map no:
Map Bank:
Map:
Put in the warp number in where it says "To map no:"
Old Posted May 5th, 2009 (07:07 AM). Edited May 5th, 2009 by Magic.
Magic
Guardian of the Great Rift

What causes the 'Cannot read bytes at end of file' error :\ It keeps occurring for (I think) no reason, and thanks to it I just lost an entire map :\.

Realised I didn't have the latest files, is the problem fixed in 1.92? hopefully!
Old Posted May 6th, 2009 (04:23 PM).
link12552
just tired, that's all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
What causes the 'Cannot read bytes at end of file' error :\ It keeps occurring for (I think) no reason, and thanks to it I just lost an entire map :\.

Realised I didn't have the latest files, is the problem fixed in 1.92? hopefully!

Updating would probably be the first thing to try, your rom should not be filled but if it is this happens. if so:

Open your rom in XSE and in "tools" goto extend rom and change it to 32mb
Old Posted May 7th, 2009 (11:26 AM). Edited May 7th, 2009 by killbeast301.
killbeast301
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdurer View Post
Hey well i was wondering how you put new maps on and not have them part of another map. every time i make a new map it puts it pallet town. and i want it on route 1?

great stuff really helpfull
Quote:
Originally Posted by link12552 View Post
  1. Click new map
  2. Insert the pallete header ect...
  3. Draw you map
  4. Click insert map
  5. Under replace map put in header = 3 bank = 19
This should insert the map in route 1

Cuation: Make sure that the number of trees before the opening is the same as before.

Attachment 43959

Hope it helps

Nice to see people like it!

I'm having the same problem, any time I try to replace a map It becomes pallet town. I replacing 3.19 with another map, and it becomes pallet town.

Also, what do you mean by "Make sure the number of trees before the opening is the same as before"? The new route 1 needs to have the same trees as the old route 1, or the new route 1 needs to have the same trees as the map I plan to connect it to?
Old Posted May 8th, 2009 (04:38 AM).
Winterbane
Ice Emperor

I have a problem with saving changes to tilesets. For example; I wanted to use Pallet Town's trees, signage, and grass in a Ruby ROM (I need to for the HM Dive) as well as Cinnibar Island's lab building. However, when I edit one of the all-black palettes with the colorsets I want from LG/FR and create my new tileset, all is well on AdvanceMap. However, once I've saved in AdvanceMap and closed the program, anything using my new palettes becomes solid black in the program. In the ROM, it becomes a messed up variety of colors. Is there a way to overcome this? Thanks in advance.

Old Posted May 8th, 2009 (06:29 PM).
zt2maniac
Zaniac

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to zt2maniac
I have the same problem I want to use D&P style Tilesets but I don't really understand how to upload them Can you help
Old Posted May 9th, 2009 (09:33 PM).
stargate1995
Mr. Flying Pickle Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try4se View Post
Go to the map you are warping to.
Go to events.
Create a new warp, and put it where you want the person to end up.
Record what number the warp is.
Go to the other map.
Click on the other warp.
It will say

Put in the warp number in where it says "To map no:"
i know how to do this but whenever i warp to the place it will take me somewhere random
e.g.im trying it in a cave but it teleports me half way through the cave.

Ultimate solo run with Kabutops

Current challenges:
Ultimate solo run with Nidoking, [K][J][H][S][U]
Black part of solo rune with Kabutops

Evidently I like solo challenges

Metagross and salamence fan
Old Posted May 15th, 2009 (05:30 PM).
remel066
Beginning Trainer

help ! ! i make a cave in advance and when i try it , i go in and i cant get out !!!! =(
Old Posted May 17th, 2009 (07:10 AM).
Phy
Beginning Trainer

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong spot..everyone else seems to be asking questions..so I figure why not?

As I'm progressing into my hack, using XSE (which I still am learning by the handful) and Advance Map, when I script a new character in, sometimes the script won't respond. I understand that this is probably because of a scripting error--but this isn't my problem.

When I go to that map, there are random stationary sprites just standing in the far corners of the room, looking down. I go to Advance map, and they're not put in there...

At first I tried to just ignore them, and thought maybe they would go away after I did a few more things elsewhere. When I went back into my house after working for an hour somewhere else, they were almost everywhere, and some were moving.

No matter what I did, removing everything, rebuilding, they stayed when I played the rom. So I restarted, and after about another hour of work, they're starting to appear again.

Any help?
Old Posted May 19th, 2009 (04:52 PM).
link12552
just tired, that's all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phy View Post
Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong spot..everyone else seems to be asking questions..so I figure why not?

As I'm progressing into my hack, using XSE (which I still am learning by the handful) and Advance Map, when I script a new character in, sometimes the script won't respond. I understand that this is probably because of a scripting error--but this isn't my problem.

When I go to that map, there are random stationary sprites just standing in the far corners of the room, looking down. I go to Advance map, and they're not put in there...

At first I tried to just ignore them, and thought maybe they would go away after I did a few more things elsewhere. When I went back into my house after working for an hour somewhere else, they were almost everywhere, and some were moving.

No matter what I did, removing everything, rebuilding, they stayed when I played the rom. So I restarted, and after about another hour of work, they're starting to appear again.

Any help?
Try checking your map's that are having the problems
"person" event amount and see that it matches with the amount visible on the entire map. Next check the map header for "on entering" scripts. If there are any check to make sure they don't refer to a person event that does not exist on the map.

If none of these sollutions work then save all of the maps and scripts you have made in a folder somewhere and download a different copy of your rom. Then insert and recompile all of your scripts. I SUGGEST BACKING UP YOUR ROM OFTEN INCASE ANOTHER ISSUE ARISSES.
Sorry if this becomes tiresome, but the problem is caused when you either have to many maps or have repointed one akwardly.:\
Old Posted May 29th, 2009 (07:08 AM).
Kolossus
Dialouge Master

Whenever I edit something with advance map, and load my game on the rom, my changes aren't there. I have to start a new file every time. What am I doing wrong?
Old Posted May 29th, 2009 (08:12 AM).
thedootmaster
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Modest
how do i put a map onto the map rating thread off of advance map please help....
Old Posted May 30th, 2009 (11:13 PM).
Super Pichu
Pichu Lover

I can't drag or move the red box to the places were i want my warps to be. Help!?
Old Posted May 31st, 2009 (08:26 AM).
Magic
Guardian of the Great Rift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Pichu View Post
I can't drag or move the red box to the places were i want my warps to be. Help!?
Are warp tiles not Purple with a W on them? o_o I might be going crazy.

The Dootmaster -

Use print screen

Kolossus -

Are you saving before you load up the ROM? Stupid question but sometimes the silliest things happen.
Old Posted June 8th, 2009 (02:31 AM).
conm22
Beginning Trainer

I have been working on a rom for a while now, and everything was working fine. I added a script into the rom, and saved. The script worked fine when i played the rom, but then when i tried to go back into advance map, it said it couldn't open the rom???
The game still plays fine, but i canot edit it. Don;t want to start again, as i have spent quite a lot of time on it.
somebody help please...
Old Posted June 8th, 2009 (04:25 PM).
link12552
just tired, that's all

Quote:
Originally Posted by conm22 View Post
I need some help!!
I have been working on a rom for a while now, and everything was working fine. I added a script into the rom, and saved. The script worked fine when i played the rom, but then when i tried to go back into advance map, it said it couldn't open the rom???
The game still plays fine, but i canot edit it. Don;t want to start again, as i have spent quite a lot of time on it.
somebody help please...
I'm getting the feeling that you have accidentilly overwritten some crucial information on your rom.

The first thing to check is if your roms header has been changed. To do this open it in a hex editor.

Note: I am not familliar with all rom headers, so please compare it to a copy of the original rom

^I'm using FIRERED US^

If this header is fine I suggest you check to see if AM has backed up your rom. This is a file usually in the same directory with the same name but the file extention *.bak. Copy and paste this file somwhere like your desktop so that it's not in the same directory as your rom and change its name from "whatever.bak" to "whatever.gba"

This should create a new rom.

I'm sorry if none of these sollutions work, but you have to remember to constently back up your work!
Old Posted June 17th, 2009 (10:01 AM). Edited June 17th, 2009 by aquaxi.
aquaxi
Beginning Mapper

Which Tileset are you using? It looks different that mine. Yours looks more 3d. Is it perhaps from D/P? If so, is there a possible way for me to get it?
Old Posted June 22nd, 2009 (01:52 PM).
Khan6195
Michael Jackson Died. Parté!

Nature: Adamant
Umm... I have a problem. Here is a pic of my problems and stuff.

The Level 96 Entei!

Hacks I support:
Spoiler:

Can you read this? Only 55% of people can!
Spoiler:
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch
at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a
wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the
rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit
a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter
by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot
slpeling was ipmorantt!
fi yuo cna raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre
I feogrt who ollanirigy had tihs but wohveer did. TAHNKS
Old Posted June 22nd, 2009 (05:28 PM).
AlexMason
Beginning Trainer

Thanks so much i really needed to know how to work with sprites
Old Posted June 25th, 2009 (07:55 AM).
ShinyBlaziken
Dragon-Master

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via ICQ to ShinyBlaziken
Hi,
I wanted to insert new tiles but then I made a mistake and changed the wrong tiles and now i want to have the original tiles but how can i make that??

Old Posted June 25th, 2009 (06:57 PM).
CyborgMenace3k21
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by remel066 View Post
help ! ! i make a cave in advance and when i try it , i go in and i cant get out !!!! =(

I have the same exact problem, this is the only thing i can't seem to figure out or find an answer to anywhere. could someone like post a video of themselves making a cave and playing the ROM to show that the warps work? caves are a big part of what i wana do, so plz someone help
Old Posted June 25th, 2009 (10:11 PM).
ExitWound
Boggle

1 thing about using the Map Connections... I am making a remake of Pokemon Gold using FireRed and I made New Bark Town, Route 29, and Cherrygrove City. I tried to connect them all together and this is what happened:

I'm 99% sure that I did it right though... Can somebody help me?

+====================Supports====================+

+====================Supports====================+
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links