Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General
Reload this Page Eevee as a starter?

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Closed Thread

Old December 14th, 2008 (09:52 PM).
Meri Curi!

Nature: Quirky
As far as the main line of games goes, we have had a Pokemon starter that strays away from the traditional grass/water/fire trio.

Special Pikachu Edition, anyone?

Pikachu was catchable in the wild in both red and blue, but I believe they just pulled them out for Yellow. Also, if you transferred another Pikachu onto your cart it didn't follow you around on the screen or have the special emote bubbles your beginner Pikachu had.

As for the evolution blues.. that can easily be fixed by just moving around where you can buy evolution stones, or an addition to a special event.

Anyone who's saying getting "stuck" with a normal type pokemon as your starter wouldn't be a good idea.. QQ. Not everyone fronts their team with a starter. But if that's still not enough, think back to Yellow once again: You didn't just get one, you got Pikachu and all three original starters.

So basically what I'm trying to say is.. I think Eevee as a starter could potentially work if it was a special edition of one of the existing games like Yellow was.
Old December 15th, 2008 (04:20 AM).
tragedy
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaori
Quote originally posted by Platina Berlitz:
As far as the main line of games goes, we have had a Pokemon starter that strays away from the traditional grass/water/fire trio.

Special Pikachu Edition, anyone?

Pikachu was catchable in the wild in both red and blue, but I believe they just pulled them out for Yellow. Also, if you transferred another Pikachu onto your cart it didn't follow you around on the screen or have the special emote bubbles your beginner Pikachu had.

As for the evolution blues.. that can easily be fixed by just moving around where you can buy evolution stones, or an addition to a special event.

Anyone who's saying getting "stuck" with a normal type pokemon as your starter wouldn't be a good idea.. QQ. Not everyone fronts their team with a starter. But if that's still not enough, think back to Yellow once again: You didn't just get one, you got Pikachu and all three original starters.

So basically what I'm trying to say is.. I think Eevee as a starter could potentially work if it was a special edition of one of the existing games like Yellow was.
I forgot about that...lol
Yay another person is with me to count Eevee in as a starter...lol:cer_smile:

smile. paired to vrai & karpman & drew
Old December 15th, 2008 (04:26 AM).
Don't eat me!

I would love to have Eevee as a starter, but in a game that you could have all the Evelutions.
Old December 15th, 2008 (07:47 AM).
One shot, one kill.

Eevee was a starter in the initial Mystery Dungeon games.

Eevee is hard to evolve and doesn't have a good movepool.

On the flip side it has 50% chance of getting a good ability (which ultimately go away upon evolution) and evolutions to satisfy many players.

But I rather have the regular starters to have a reliable sweeper.
Old December 20th, 2008 (09:39 AM).
So i herd you leik peanutz?

Eh, there probably wouldn't be any elemental stones for a long time in the game, like Gummy said.

It would probably be a better idea to have Flareon, Vaporean, and Leafeon as the three starters in the beginning of the game, even if they wouldn't evolve.

They could also make something like Pokemon XD for a handheld, like you would start out as an Eevee and then you would choose a stone at the beginning.

I don't know, but I don't really thing Eevee as a starter would work.

Old December 20th, 2008 (06:04 PM).
tragedy
Crystal Tier

Vaporeon, Leafeon and Flareon? Not Leafeon Becuase u can get one in Eterna...
I would say more like Eevee (later on Eterna or Snowpoint) Vaporeon and Flareon...

Old December 21st, 2008 (01:38 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
I would love that too- I would certainly evolve mine into either a Jolteon or Glaceon
Old December 21st, 2008 (01:42 AM).
Xbox Live GamerTag:iDESTRUCTx

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TIC TAC
Well, I wouldn't mind it but it's highly unlikely mainly because you can get A LOT of types from it later game, so it's best it isn't.
Tsukimaru is a great battler, well done mate!
My trade thread!

Egg move Mall!

Credit to AuraFire for this AWESOME sig.

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55% of plepoe can.

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!
fi yuo cna raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre.
Old December 21st, 2008 (02:25 AM).
★七色に光る女★

Nature: Hasty
Quote originally posted by Volkner's Apprentice:
On that note, it'd be awesome to design everything about your character (like hair color, clothing, eyes, battle stance, etc.)
You mean like Runescape? Either they only let you have 3 choices for your clothing, or NO. It is hard to script it out. BUT if the technology gets better, this could be a good addition. But right now, it's a no.

As for me, I would agree to let Eevee be a starter.
-You have a big variety of eeveelutions;
-you can see its cuteness; and
-it might be a new challenge.

But there IS disadvantages. The rival would have a tough time choosing a Pokemon which can pwn Eevee easily, because we can evolve it to whatever we want, and I think the programmers wouldn't want so much trouble to get EIGHT Pokemon that has advantages over the respective evolutions.

So I think they'll do this: they'll either force you to evolve Eevee immediately at one point, when they give you a rock, so not to cause so much ruckus to the game. Or they'll continue the custom of having grass-fire-water starters.

I STILL agree to let Eevee become a starter. ALL HAIL EEVEE!!!

Azumi あずみ||:::
deviantart | tumblr | twitter||:::

「我に慢心を捨てろと来たか。||:::
つくづく厚顔なマスターよな!」||:::

Old December 21st, 2008 (02:31 AM).
mesc

Eevee would be nice as a starter, as it has it's many eeveeloutions. However, It wouldnt fit with the triangle. There is more than one type, and not many of them are weak/effective against each other.
I would like to see a change of heart in GameFreak's games. But so far, we're stuck with the usual grass/water/fire.
Old December 21st, 2008 (02:49 AM).
canary

It would be a intresting idea, there would be so many ways to go about evolving, instead of thousands of threads asking "Which is better Torchic or Mudkip?", there could be "Which Eveelution did you choose?", much more intresting in my opinion

Vivva, the types pretty much do the same as the type strenght, Jolteon (Electric) > Vaporeon (Water) > Flareon (Fire) > Glaceon (Ice) > Leafeon (Grass). Then there is the Umbreon (Dark) > Espeon (Psychic). Not exactly what you wanted I know, but still lol
Old December 21st, 2008 (10:42 AM).
So i herd you leik peanutz?

Quote originally posted by Lil_Miss:
Vaporeon, Leafeon and Flareon? Not Leafeon Becuase u can get one in Eterna...
I would say more like Eevee (later on Eterna or Snowpoint) Vaporeon and Flareon...

Well, you can get Eevee in the Trophy Garden.
And the reason I said Leafeon should be one is because in all the handheld Pokemon games, you would have the choice of a Fire, Water, or Grass type.
Another thing, why would you want a starter that could evolve into the two other starters?

Old December 21st, 2008 (10:50 AM).
☆A Life of Pokémon & Beyoncé ☆
Crystal Tier

Nature: Naughty
Because you dont have to make the decision right away.

Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
Twitter
Facebook
Old December 21st, 2008 (11:05 AM).

Sounds like a great idea. Although it'll break the traditional fire-water-grass starters.

Wouldn't mind seeing ROM hack of it though.

In my signature, I will play a Pokémon game and let you decide on the action! The current decision is:

Bulbasaur, Squirtle, or Charmander? PM me with your choice and check out the blog as well!
Old December 22nd, 2008 (07:53 PM).
vibratingcat XD

Isn't Eevee a starter in Pokemon XD? Or are my facts mixed up? But yeah somebody should do a hack of it regardless.
Old December 22nd, 2008 (07:56 PM).
Dragon Master

OMG if Eevee was a starter it better learn good moves...

wait wasn't Eevee the starter in Pokemon XD?

anyway I hate eevee but eh it wouldn't be that bad to have something other than a grass/fire/water choice...

Desert Storm!
GO!
Old December 22nd, 2008 (08:29 PM).
...is your catalyst.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quiet
Is it just me...? I've always found Eevee sort of....bland.
Current Game: Skyrim (360)
Old December 24th, 2008 (11:00 AM).
tragedy
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by dialga493:
OMG if Eevee was a starter it better learn good moves...

wait wasn't Eevee the starter in Pokemon XD?

anyway I hate eevee but eh it wouldn't be that bad to have something other than a grass/fire/water choice...
Oh gosh, at least like it a little bit, eevee was born in the pokemon world for people to like it...i like it...

Quote originally posted by jasonresno:
Is it just me...? I've always found Eevee sort of....bland.
How could u be so mean to eevees?

Old December 26th, 2008 (09:17 AM).
Pokemon Silver Remake Maker

You can have a eevee as a starter by using A-Starter
Old December 26th, 2008 (09:25 AM).
i'm no goddess

Quote originally posted by TheHacker121:
You can have a eevee as a starter by using A-Starter
huh? I'm not quite understanding what you mean there...
Old December 26th, 2008 (09:50 AM).
Taunter

Nature: Lonely
Eevee as a starter-- nein.

Yes, I adore the lil' guy-- I even have a Vaporeon, a Jolteon, and an Espeon on my Diamond team. However, having Eevee would throw off the "rock-paper-scissors" concept of the starters (this is primarily speaking for the handheld games).

Eevee is a normal type. If I remember, normal types have no elemental resistances, strenghts, or weaknesses. The point of the starters of the handheld games is to have the rock-paper-scissors concept. Grass >beats> Water >beats> Fire >beats> Grass.

Rinse and repeat.

Yellow version is the exception to this because at the time, they were following the anime. Ash gets Pikachu, protagonist gets Pikachu. Tada~.

Ahem, but moving back. As someone already mentioned, Eevee is too versitaile. It has 7 evolutions (for each of the Special-move types, I believe-- I read somewhere that dragon is the last one of these types/moves to be created). If the aforementioned is true, imagine a trainer with a dragon-type level 10... ? Let us just hope that if such a thing was to occur, the way to get a dragon-type Eeveelution was really, really tricky...

So I'm against Eevee as a starter, primarily because of the "HolyCrapEvolutions!" and that it ruins the handheld's concept of rock-paper-scissors starter choices. If they could keep to that, I'd be fine with it, but... yeah, you can't do that with a Normal type.

-Taunter the Haunter
-(ゴースト Ghost)
-Team Wilhelm "Leader"
-Gas Pokémon
-5'03" & 0.2 lbs
-Lvl. 65
-And he talks?!
-"Hau hau! Why yes, your soul looks very delicious..."
Old December 26th, 2008 (09:54 AM).

Quote originally posted by DGexe:

Yes, I adore the lil' guy-- I even have a Vaporeon, a Jolteon, and an Espeon on my Diamond team. However, having Eevee would throw off the "rock-paper-scissors" concept of the starters (this is primarily speaking for the handheld games).

Eevee is a normal type. If I remember, normal types have no elemental resistances, strenghts, or weaknesses. The point of the starters of the handheld games is to have the rock-paper-scissors concept. Grass >beats> Water >beats> Fire >beats> Grass.

Rinse and repeat.

Yellow version is the exception to this because at the time, they were following the anime. Ash gets Pikachu, protagonist gets Pikachu. Tada~.

Ahem, but moving back. As someone already mentioned, Eevee is too versitaile. It has 7 evolutions (for each of the Special-move types, I believe-- I read somewhere that dragon is the last one of these types/moves to be created). If the aforementioned is true, imagine a trainer with a dragon-type level 10... ? Let us just hope that if such a thing was to occur, the way to get a dragon-type Eeveelution was really, really tricky...

So I'm against Eevee as a starter, primarily because of the "HolyCrapEvolutions!" and that it ruins the handheld's concept of rock-paper-scissors starter choices. If they could keep to that, I'd be fine with it, but... yeah, you can't do that with a Normal type.
you could eliminate the rock paper scissors concept if prof. oak offered a fire, waterstone and they changed the way leafeon evolved then problem solved. Your rival would just pick the stone that's stronger than your choice....
Old December 26th, 2008 (11:10 AM).
tragedy
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Treeko-kt:
you could eliminate the rock paper scissors concept if prof. oak offered a fire, waterstone and they changed the way leafeon evolved then problem solved. Your rival would just pick the stone that's stronger than your choice....
Good point...and they could make Leafeon evolve with a leaf stone!

Old December 26th, 2008 (11:23 AM).
War is Over... If You Want It.

Nature: Bold
I like Eevee, because I really love Umbreon and Jolteon, but I don't think it should be a starter. Eevee is a weak pokemon in the game. Admit it, all you want to do is get it to evolve quickly and power up that pokemon. But if you really want an Eevee starter, play Gale of Darkness or a hacked game. Personally, I just miss the original starters: Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle. And, also, every kid and their mother has an Eevee as a starter in fanfiction, which is absoultely horrible now a days because its so hard to find good quality. If there was some good form and only the occasional Eevee, it wouldn't be too bad.
Old December 26th, 2008 (11:25 AM).
Banned

Quote originally posted by DGexe:

Rinse and repeat.

You Could Brake The Pokemon Tradition And Make it so you have to choose a eevee and u make 1 rival in later game(has a a eeveelution thats super effective against yours and if you still have eevee he/she has eevee)
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links