• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Okay, folks. First off, this is the right section for this thread because said challenge is for all four Generations of games: RBY, GSC, RSE, and DPPt

So, instead of having a monotype challenge through one Pokemon game, this is meant to take place in all four regions, going through each generation of the franchise.

Requirements

• A copy of Red, Blue, or Yellow. FireRed and LeafGreen will be accepted here, but for the ultimate experience, I suggest you go with the originals.
  • A copy of Gold, Silver, or Crystal. HeartGold and SoulSilver will be accepted here, but for the ultimate experience, I suggest you go with the originals.
  • A copy of Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald.
  • A copy of Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum.
  • The will to play, and the desire to have fun. =D
  • Emulators will be allowed for any of the above, excluding the previous. ^_^

Rules

• No hacking or cheating. This includes using the Missingno glitch in RBY.
  • No using Legendary Pokemon. If you're looking to battle with Legendaries, try Wolfechu's Legendary Solo Challenge instead. ^^
  • No trading Pokemon from other games, unless you are doing so for an evolution that requires it.
  • When starting your journey in each game, you will have to play the game using just your starter Pokemon. Then, once you gain access to the first available Pokemon of your type, continue from then on with only that type. You can use your starter to help with training these Pokemon, but cease using it in gym battles at this point.
  • You can use HM slaves of different types; just don't use them in battles. The exception to this rule is with Psychic teams in the 3rd Generation games. Due to the fact that the Abra and Ralts families literally have no means of combating Poochyena and his fellow Dark-Types at the start of the game, the HM slaves can be used to help them out. ^^
  • You can use Pokemon not of your type if and only if they will evolve into a Pokemon of your type at some point. Though you should evolve them at the first chance you get.
  • Due to their rarity in earlier generations, three types are discouraged from being used: Ghost, Dragon, and Ice. If you still want to use one of these types, you can ignore the third rule and trade one of said-type into your game at the earliest point that you can do so.
  • Due to their non-existance in the first generation, Dark- and Steel-Types are also discouraged from being used. If you still want to use one of these types, you can start your challenge with the second generation games, also ignoring the third rule and trading one of said-type into your game at the earliest point that you can do so.
  • The challenge for each game is completed once the Elite Four is beaten for the first time(except in the second generation where it ends when you defeat Red). At said point, you can then begin with the following game.
  • Go in order. That is, RBY -> GSC -> RSE -> DPPt.
  • I didn't think I'd have to add this, but...Use the same Type in every Generation. Thanks. ^^

You can post your progress here in this thread, being as detailed or as vague as you like. And below here is the list of all our participants:

Spoiler:

And, at long last, we have some userbars that you can add to your signature if you so desire. Credit goes to Greeeny for their creation:

fireu.png

watera.png

normale.png

fightingn.png

poisond.png

rock.png

grass.png

ground.png

psychic.png

electricat.png

bugss.png

ghostx.png

flying.png

And some alternatives made by yours truly:

FireUMC2.jpg

WaterUMC2.jpg

NormalUMC.jpg

FightingUMC.jpg

PoisonUMC.jpg

RockUMC.jpg

GrassUMC.jpg

GroundUMC.jpg

PsychicUMC.jpg

ElectricUMC.jpg

BugUMC.jpg

IceUMC.jpg

DarkUMC.jpg

GhostUMC.jpg

DragonUMC.jpg

SteelUMC.jpg

FlyingUMC.jpg

Last edited:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Okay then. I'll add you to the list! It won't be long before you get your first Electric Type, hehe :D

I had some more time today(yay for no exams! XD) and I've went further in my game:

-got through the Rock Tunnel without using Flash. ^^
-defeated Erika, evolving my Drowzee in the process.
-went through the Game Corner, defeating Giovanni
-climbed the Pokemon Tower, while grinning at the fact that Ghost didn't effect Psychic in this generation. =D
-defeated Giovanni again at Silph Co.
-had my battle with Sabrina, lasting longer due to her Alakazam using Recover too much >_<
-entered the Safari Zone to catch myself an Exeggcute
-got my hands on the Super Rod, allowing me to catch the game's remaining Psychics
-received my Soul Badge after beating Koga in a match. =D

Current Team:

121.png

Level 26
-Surf
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Psywave

97.png

Level 34
-Confusion
-Hypnosis
-Headbutt
-Poison Gas

64.png

Level 33
-Confusion
-Recover
-Seismic Toss
-Psybeam

122.png

Level 34
-Confusion
-Barrier
-Mega Punch
-Light Screen

124.png

Level 26
-Bubblebeam
-Lovely Kiss
-Lick
-Pound

79.png

Level 22
-Confusion
-Surf
-Body Slam
-Earthquake

102.png

Level 25
-Barrage
-Hypnosis
-Reflect

Now off to Cinnabar Island! :D

Last edited:

Ikwaylx

Man with 10000 pronounciations
Years
Hey! This sounds fun. I'll join up too!

As for the type, I wanna have fun.. I'll choose fighting and start in yellow, good pal!
By the way, what's the minimum amount of time into the game before using your starter becomes too much?

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Okay, I'll add you to the list. Welcome! :D

Well, lemme see....*does mental calculations*

Okay, so going through every generation, the longest it would take to get a type is after you have three badges. This is only the case in Red and Blue, where the first Fighting Type is Machop, obtainable in the Rock Tunnel. You don't have to worry about it as you're using Yellow, where Mankey can be found on Route 22. ^^

As for other instances, most can be found before the first or second badges, with just a small few requiring the two badges(ie. Electrike in RSE, Machop in GSC). So basically just use your starter until you reach this point, wherever that may be. ^^

Ikwaylx

Years
Okay, I'll add you to the list. Welcome! :D

Well, lemme see....*does mental calculations*

Okay, so going through every generation, the longest it would take to get a type is after you have three badges. This is only the case in Red and Blue, where the first Fighting Type is Machop, obtainable in the Rock Tunnel. You don't have to worry about it as you're using Yellow, where Mankey can be found on Route 22. ^^

As for other instances, most can be found before the first or second badges, with just a small few requiring the two badges(ie. Electrike in RSE, Machop in GSC). So basically just use your starter until you reach this point, wherever that may be. ^^
Excellent! I already started and am well on my way, proper starting post will be done when I beat Brock.
Heh, I picked yellow just because of Mankey. I wouldn't bother with Red/blue anyway, Yellow just beats it altogether. :P

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Hehe, I may have used Yellow. The only thing is, I don't have it, and I never have. :D

Plus Blue was my first Pokemon game, and one of my first games, period. So I just had to start with it. =D

Ikwaylx

Years
Alright, I thrashed Brock into the ground!

Start:

Whizzed my way through the starting point and traveled to route 22 to catch me a Mankey. Easy capture. Afterwards I deposited Pikachu for being a sick, sick and fat mouse.
Trained my Mankey in route 22 for a bit to level 8 until it learned Low Kick. After that I went my merry way into Viridian Forest, where all the poisonous weedles were taken out.. Oddly enough.. Mass insecticide?
Defeated all the trainers with ease apart from the malicious Metapods.
Arrived at Pewter city, went right to the gym and kicked the gym into a gritty mess! Brock tried to subdue me with his Onix and Bide but failed miserably for the Onix being such a heavy thing.

Team so far:
gby056.gif

Mankey
Level 13
Scratch
Leer
Low Kick
Highest Stat: Attack - 30
Lowest Stat: Special - 16

One thing about Mankey: what's up with his back sprite? Does he have tentacles?!
Spr_b_g1_056.png
Damn.. Those are some funky arms!

Next part will be done after Misty is beaten and the plot mildly thickens.

I just realised that I'll only be able to get 4 Pokemon during this! I can't get Hitmonchan due to not having a link cable and wanting Hitmonlee anyway so that leaves me with a party that leaves much to desire.
I'm guessing that this isn't going to be easy at all.

Last edited:

magix7

CO-LEADER OF KODO
Years
Can i do fire in pokemon crystal? I just started my game over today and chose cyndaquill. might as well do this. haha. I will give it a shot.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Ikwaylx:
Aiyh, I forgot about that Mankey sprite. Yes, 'funky' is a great word to describe that thing. ^^

magix7:
Well, in this challenge you're supposed to go through all the generations; not just Johto. And starting with Kanto. =P

Ikwaylx

Years
Ikwaylx:
Aiyh, I forgot about that Mankey sprite. Yes, 'funky' is a great word to describe that thing. ^^
Spr_1b_056.png
Spr_1g_056.png

The tentacles! Oh my the tentacles!
Anyway, I'm in Mt. Moon at the moment, still thrashing and smashing. It seems too easy! But I know that the moment I reach Sabrina and Koga....

Oh, and Karate Chop? NORMAL? I always found it so blatantly stupid that it wasn't fighting in the first generation. Glad they changed it.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Ah, yes. I'm a little better off at this point, seeing as Psychic is still the "unequivocal best type in the game" due to Dark types not existing yet. But once I move on to Crystal, that'll be changed. ^^

Another quirk I'm noticing now that I hadn't before is that NPC's with Fire Types will refuse to use Fire moves on my Starmie, XD. Even when their only alternatives are Roar and/or Growl. XDDD

Likewise, in my battle with Sabrina she refused to use a single Psychic attack on my Kadabra. Instead, I was using Confusion while she Recovered each turn. My strategy was to wait for the confusion, and then use Seismic Toss once she hurt herself. It took me like twenty rounds before that actually happened, but happen it did. :D

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I'll take Normal and I'll start as soon as possible. If I can't find my red/blue/yellow, then I'll have to use FR/LG.

Ikwaylx

Years
Another quirk I'm noticing now that I hadn't before is that NPC's with Fire Types will refuse to use Fire moves on my Starmie, XD. Even when their only alternatives are Roar and/or Growl. XDDD
Alright, I beat Misty! I'm moving quick through the game but I'm having fun. It's what you have to expect :D

Ok, I started in route... uhh.. 3? The battles were no problem to me whatsoever, easy peasy. However, I did learn Karate Chop; meaning I can now kick the hide of anything in my way. My Mankey is literally an unstoppable force.
Mount Moon was pretty much the same basic deal, except with more random encounters. I accidentially used a poke ball on a Geodude and caught it.. uhh.. woops? Nonetheless I deposited it when I got to Cerulean.
Found the 'Super Nerd' and what a title that is to call someone! Is it a geek? Is it a troll? NO! It's Super Nerd!
Anyway, I took the Dome fossil because I like the name and I went for the exit.

BUT WAIT

Jesse and James show up to foil my plans. What should I do?
Karate Chop FRENZEH!
I defeated Meowth and Ekans in one, but Koffing managed to survive long enough to poison me.. Good thing I had antidotes or that would be quite a pickle.

Arrived at Cerulean and went straight to the gym again. You guessed it.. I chopped them so hard, the water divided into two!
Now, you may be wondering why I quoted Alakazam. Well, Misty's Starmie kept on using Harden. Seriously, no bubblebeam action here. I find it odd how bad the AI can be in this game, even if they sometimes use X items, they still manage to fail at exposing weaknesses. I found it to be a bit of a gip, as I could've been defeated if Starmie used bubblebeam. Oh well, I thrashed her into the ground (Or should I say waves?)

Current team again
gby056.gif

Mankey
Level 22
Karate Chop
Leer
Low Kick
Scratch
Highest Stat: Attack - 48
Lowest Stat: Special - 26

Odd fact: Misty doesn't have red hair in her OW sprite, it's black. Huh...
The Slowbro in Cerulean is replaced with an Electrode in yellow. Why? I have no idea.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
If someone chooses Grass, then I will take Poison. If someone takes Poison, then I will take Grass. This is an awesome idea and is indeed an ultimate challenge. A little bit of planning and research and I'll be ready.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Yep, I'll add both of you! And TheAbsol, more than one person can go for any one type, so that isn't a problem. Since you mentioned Grass first, I'll sign you up for that. Let you know if you want Poison instead though. ^^

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I wont be able to play. I can't find my SP and even if I could, I probably wont find the charger. Sorry/.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
Thanks for choosing for me since I was having a real tough time. I'll start tommorow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back