Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner
Notices

Roleplay Corner The realm where writers gather to create glorious tales or silly drama together and chronicle their adventures. Start or join roleplays featuring Pokémon, other franchises or something completely original!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 10th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Adventure
do it my o w n way

Nature: Naive

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond1304 View Post
I disagree, it is possible to make a Journey RP totally different from the games. And it has been done, go check up on Pokemon Captured done by our very own RHCP. It's a Journey RP but not like the games. You should open your mind and imagination. :D
Omg, someone still remembers that? xD It was my first time as a GM~
/nostalgia

btw, apparently I came second in the RPA as Best Roleplayer and my RP Foreigners came second in another category. I hadn't noticed! Thanks for the votes, people :3 I promise to vote in the next RPA, as I feel I've caught up a little on what roleplays and roleplayers are around, this time.

moderator of roleplay corner & pokémon general
proudly paired with abnegation
¤

Last edited by Adventure; December 10th, 2011 at 04:27 AM.
Old December 10th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Skymin
the gratitude pokémon
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Last time I checked, they're both the same. Originality is also in the eyes of the beholder. Buuut I didn't come here to argue over definitions, because they also vary. :P
They have similar meanings, but creativity stems from the word create and revolves around the process of. Originality is about uniqueness and being one of a kind. They are considered similes as creativity is often associated with having unique ways of creating things, but there is difference between the two.

Man! I feel real slack as a roleplayer. I haven't written a post in DAYS. I need to get to a pc and DO SO!
Moderator of the Roleplay Corner <<
my art blogcommission infoCLOUD v2.0<<
Paired with revlis <<
Old December 10th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Adventure
do it my o w n way

Shameless advertising: I think some more people should come and try to join this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=267906 - The Whirl Cup! It's a Johto journey RP that has already started, but there seem to be only 2 active players :p And some who reserved haven't signed up, I think. Go grab (ask for) the spots!

¤
Old December 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
PkMnTrainer Yellow
RP Mentor
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
Quote:
Last time I checked, they're both the same. Originality is also in the eyes of the beholder. Buuut I didn't come here to argue over definitions, because they also vary.
They never were the same. There is only one correct definition of a word in any one context, and in this context no originality is not in the eyes of the beholder. If it was, then we would have no right to decide what is or is not original.

Quote:
Originality is the aspect of created or invented works by as being new or novel, and thus can be distinguished from reproductions, clones, forgeries, or derivative works.
Notice there's no sign of subjectivity here. It's objective and therefore not in the eyes of the beholder.

Quote:
Creativity refers to the phenomenon whereby a person creates something new (a product, a solution, a work of art, a novel, a joke, etc.) that has some kind of value. What counts as "new" may be in reference to the individual creator, or to the society or domain within which the novelty occurs. What counts as "valuable" is similarly defined in a variety of ways.
The underlined part states subjectivity.

For more revolutionary thinking in the context of literature, I might advise you to take a look at this: http://www.everythingisaremix.info/watch-the-series/

Last edited by PkMnTrainer Yellow; December 10th, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old December 10th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Wymsical
V.S. The Wymsical Champion

Nature: Relaxed
@Diamond: I never suggested that Journey RPs have to be like games, that's just plain stupid. I suggested that this RP was intended to be LIKE the games. Not that Journey RPs were meant to be like the games. I think you misinterpreted my post.

LOL, No offense people, but this originality discussion is kinda pointless.
It's Whimsical WYMSICAL!

Links To Be Added Soon
Old December 10th, 2011, 05:19 PM
ODSTmarine
Now XLegionxX

Nature: Bold
I concur, The Originality argument is going nowhere

======
={Mark Vargas}=
"One man can change the world with a bullet in the right place."PC Bothers: xXJumboShrimpXx ,Zapdos926
PC Sisters: Fortworth96
Old December 10th, 2011, 09:45 PM
pokemongarnet
CAT-BUS!

What does everyone think about having to pick theme songs for SUs?

I personally think that it's a nice part of an SU, plus sometimes have really good music in theirs. But sometimes people go overboard with them... I can think of one RP that died a long time ago. But I actually really liked the songs in that one.
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Adventure
do it my o w n way

I like it. I have a lot of songs that I like to associate with RPs or characters, and I thin it gives a nice extra dimension when imagining the character :3

¤
Old December 11th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Diamond1304
Gym Leader

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post

Omg, someone still remembers that? xD It was my first time as a GM~
/nostalgia
It's hard for me to forget things. Even more shameful if I do, because that's a slip-up on me XD I still can remember the RPs at the time I started RPing and roughly their GMs. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymsical View Post
@Diamond: I never suggested that Journey RPs have to be like games, that's just plain stupid. I suggested that this RP was intended to be LIKE the games. Not that Journey RPs were meant to be like the games. I think you misinterpreted my post.

LOL, No offense people, but this originality discussion is kinda pointless.
And I never said in that comment that it applied to Journey RPs in general.

Well yes I know, my literature isn't that fantastic, but didn't we all come here to learn? That's the point of this discussion thread, no? Anyway I'm not gonna continue this or whatever because I know I'm wrong. My earlier definitions weren't really correct.

*waves at invisible fly* Anywho let's just get back on track. XD

Umm personally, I'm fine with it. I think it's rather creative and helps others to visualize the character through auditory methods. It's like the way with TV programmes, we all associate a theme with a show, just like associating a theme song to a RP character. (Kay...maybe I said that wrongly XD) /confused

Oh and before I forget, congratulations to all those who won in the RPAs~ :D OMG it's that tart's name I see. *goes to toilet* xP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymin View Post
You know why I would like to see? A NON Pokemon roleplay which a lot of people would join. Most non Pokemon ones tend to be unpopular. It sucks because there are people like me who are trying to ween off Pokemon roleplays. I hadnt even touched any kind of non Pokemon roleplay until years of lies, which I was nervous to join at first. Now, I prefer non Pokemon or more realistic but with Pokemon elements (anyone remember misfits?). Though this IS a Pokemon forum so Pokemon roleplays will always be the most popular option.

Actually, you know what would be interesting? A roleplay based on true events rather than based on fiction from books/games/movies/tv shows etc.
Oh I think I do, Misfits, something like humans with Pokemon powers....? I kinda wanted to do something like that but more 'X-Men'-ish, then I recalled something like this already and I didn't want to look like I'm stealing so it went into the bin. xD

A RP based on true events? Seems quite difficult. All I can think are wars and religious events that created lots of controversy. I don't really like war RPs and I suck at them. I don't think religious RPs would be appropriate and wouldn't be quite fun imho. I don't know whether Salem Witch Trials would apply as true events but they seem to be in the realistic-fantasy genre. Meh I don't know. XD

Old December 11th, 2011, 04:24 AM
{Swan}
I Never Asked For This.

Quote:

I like it. I have a lot of songs that I like to associate with RPs or characters, and I thin it gives a nice extra dimension when imagining the character :3
I'm really bad at thinking up songs for characters, mostly because when creating a character, even if I've their personality and history all in my head, I still don't know how they will become until I'm actually roleplaying with them.

It's like driving somewhere you're not sure of how to get to. You vaguely remember how you drove there last time, and you have the google maps directions in your head, by who knows it you'll get to your destination by that route, or another. Or if you'll get where you thought you would at all. And maybe you'd get lost along the way or there's a roadblock and a radical change of plans is needed.

That's kind of how characters are for me. I know what they've done before the present point, and I've got their character traits as a vague map with somewhat of an idea of what they'll become, what the destination is, but it's just a question how they'll get there.

That, and I don't really have that great a music storage, I tend to just remember the music I'm into at that moment, and sometimes that awesome tune from Uncharted 3 just doesn't cut it xD

Find me on:

Storenvy :: DeviantART :: Tumblr :: Twitter
Old December 11th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Adventure
do it my o w n way

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Swan} View Post
I'm really bad at thinking up songs for characters, mostly because when creating a character, even if I've their personality and history all in my head, I still don't know how they will become until I'm actually roleplaying with them.

It's like driving somewhere you're not sure of how to get to. You vaguely remember how you drove there last time, and you have the google maps directions in your head, by who knows it you'll get to your destination by that route, or another. Or if you'll get where you thought you would at all. And maybe you'd get lost along the way or there's a roadblock and a radical change of plans is needed.

That's kind of how characters are for me. I know what they've done before the present point, and I've got their character traits as a vague map with somewhat of an idea of what they'll become, what the destination is, but it's just a question how they'll get there.

That, and I don't really have that great a music storage, I tend to just remember the music I'm into at that moment, and sometimes that awesome tune from Uncharted 3 just doesn't cut it xD
All this that you just said is why I don't want to demand long and overly detailed SUs for my RPs anymore. I've realized that when I RP, my character often evolves and becomes a bit different from what I meant for them to be. Of course, roleplaying means taking the role of a character with certain traits and history and act as they would in given situations, but in some RPs it can be more fun and rewarding to find out after a while what kind of person you really want to play as. Especially if you're new to RPing. So, I regard my SUs as a set of rather basic traits and a history to explain them, and then I let my character live on and evolve through my fingers typing~

I understand though that many want to shape a completely finished character beforehand and then just play them out and let them live in the RP. In some kind of RPs, an interesting character makes all the difference, while in others I think it means less. We always love interesting characters, of course :D -looks at a certain Katharina-

¤
Old December 11th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

Um, how does everyone feel about a RP taking place in the Orre region? ~ :3

[that's the region in Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD iirc!]

if not, I also planned for a pokemon journey RP that takes place in an authentic region~ :3

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old December 11th, 2011, 06:35 AM
SV
It was justified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Doronjo View Post

if not, I also planned for a pokemon journey RP that takes place in an authentic region~ :3
Hmm....tbh I don't see it. But that's just me. I hate everything

You know, I feel I haven't been givin enough love to Pokemon Trainer Academy. It's not everyday an RP has a bigger post count than even the RP Discussion Thread. The most active and enduring RP this year. Kudos!

Paired with the Epic Raikiri
Old December 11th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Adventure
do it my o w n way

Quote:

I don'w know anything about Orre, but if you would describe the setting well it would be interesting :3

¤
Old December 11th, 2011, 07:10 AM
{Swan}
I Never Asked For This.

Quote:

You'd really have to be descriptive for Orre, for I think there are a lot of people (including me) who've not played those games, or enough to really know much about it.

But the authentic region really has me interested C8 I do love playing in regions I've little knowledge of, it makes it that much more interesting.

Find me on:

Storenvy :: DeviantART :: Tumblr :: Twitter
Old December 11th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

That's fine; All of the cities in Orre are pretty straight forward to get a picture of from a description anyway.

Then again, I'd have to be really descriptive for the authentic region, right? ~

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old December 11th, 2011, 07:21 AM
The Last Sentinel
Beginning Tracker
Community Supporter

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to The Last Sentinel
Quote:

I think it may help people understand someone's character's personality better. I mean an OC's personality could possibly even be determined by that song.

Quote:

What would it be about though? There isn't any gyms in the region and it's said there is barely any wild pokemon (though you could fix that). Would you simply have a group of people (the RPers) fighting a new Shadow Pokemon organisation?

Also, while I was sitting at work thinking about RP's based in the real world I somehow thought of something. What would you guys think of an RP about a cyber attack hitting all of the major governments at once and the RPer's, a set of people say 18 - 24 years old who are apart of an elite force of computer hackers as well as fighters are sent to find out and stop the attack?
Another idea is based on an attack on Berlin, Washington D.C., and several other cities, provoking a WW3 possibly and you would be soldiers in one of 3 governments fighting to protect?
Old December 11th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Miss Doronjo
Gaiden

That would be an obvious approach, although, I was thinking of incorporating gyms there; since the idea's not impossible, on account of there's technically a gym in Phanac City. Eh, but it's all still under planning; I haven't gotten that far yet; I was just wondering if anyone would be interested~

I think the authentic region would be simpler to do. u___u;

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games

Sylvie
Old December 11th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Diamond1304
Gym Leader

Nature: Adamant
I have never played Orre before, but I did read some Orre-based fanfics to know that there's a desert. Oh wait, I think the whole thing's a desert. xD /shot

I think an authentic region would definitely be much simpler to do. What's more, it's much more fun to let your creative juices run wild with cities and landmarks. I'm sure I had a great time mapping Lementos. XD Maybe I should do that again sometime. ;_;

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Watchman View Post
Also, while I was sitting at work thinking about RP's based in the real world I somehow thought of something. What would you guys think of an RP about a cyber attack hitting all of the major governments at once and the RPer's, a set of people say 18 - 24 years old who are apart of an elite force of computer hackers as well as fighters are sent to find out and stop the attack?
Another idea is based on an attack on Berlin, Washington D.C., and several other cities, provoking a WW3 possibly and you would be soldiers in one of 3 governments fighting to protect?
I think I've heard the first idea from a TV show but just not young people, probably late 20s to mid 30s. xD You would have to tell the RPers their job as a hacker because I don't think many of us are really hackers irl. XD

The other idea of WW3 is like X-Men First Class. Personally I don't like war RPs so I've not much to say. But yes it's like X-Men; Russia versus America and the mutants trying to stop the war. =3

Old December 11th, 2011, 08:30 AM
PkMnTrainer Yellow
RP Mentor
Community Supporter

Nature: Hardy
@ThemeSongDiscussion: I find it fun... occasionally. Sometimes it's just frustrating though |3

@Supervegeta: Thank you kindly. x3 School RPs are always a popular, humble idea, but it's very rare for a seasoned RPer to get behind one and make it work. In my experience they tend to die early. I'm sure LawOfTheLand could attest to that.

Regardless, I"m sure all the members of PTA know how proud I am of the group and how much I appreciate their effort to stay active.
Old December 11th, 2011, 10:03 AM
drunk ¬_¬
Inebriated Baby

Nature: Naughty
@Nakuzami: I really like the idea of the six RPs (I actually thunk something like this up earlier in my RPing career, and if you want to see it, I'd be glad to show you), and I think it could be great and I'd like to offer Co-GMing with RHCP for Kanto, if it's not a problem…

With that said, I do have a couple of suggestions:
Spoiler:
  • You should only accept three RPers per region; fifteen RPers would be great for the tournament later on, and having a small amount of RPers would ensure that: a) There's one of every starter, and b) The original journeys will be over shortly.
  • I definitely feel like this RP should start as a normal journey RP, but it does need the overreaching elements in the plot. Someone mentioned something about Arceus' plates, and I was thinking that just because they're originally in Sinnoh doesn't mean that they couldn't have spread to the other regions…
  • Taking the above point into consideration, the Déx Holders could find out about *something* that's going to destroy the world (war, evil team, legendaries, anti-matter versions of Pokémon/Arceus, etc.), and they'd need to collect all the plates in their respective regions, and somehow (Mew, Arceus, ESP, etc) realize that they'd find the rest at Lost Islands (in possession of the other trainers).
  • The Lost Islands Arc could consist of a normal PvP tournament, culminating in a champion, but allowing the losers to still try and find out how to save the world.

Phew, now that that's out of the way… I heard that a certain Digimon RP is dying, and I was thinking about starting a Digimon RP myself, so would you neglected RPers be willing to jump ship?

EDIT: Regarding Theme Songs… they're horrible, I'm sorry. They have nothing to do with the actual RP, they're bothersome to find, NO ONE listens to any theme songs but their own, and it's a huge waste of time + the bane of my existence… so no. I'm not a fan.
Old December 11th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Wymsical

@Skymin: An RP about something that really happened MIGHT work, but I think something based (not entirely the same) on a true event might be more popular.

@Current Discussion: Personally, I like it. The hard part is actually finding a theme song, since I wouldn't know too many, but once you find one that fits, it may as well replace the Personality section.

@Miss Doronjo: I actually see that going somewhere. The Orre region is very interesting, and we could make a Pokemon Rangers RP from it. That could be very interesting.

@Drunk: I disagree with your first point, who said anything about a tournament? I don't like it. Because it's stupid that right after eradicating an evil bunch after a huge war, things can just go back to normal really quick and a tournament can begin.

I also disagree with your second point. This RP(s) is about a war between the regions caused by the treachery of five different teams working together. Each RP features a group named 'The Protectors' setting out to reveal the team that is respective to their region's plot. (Example, Unova Protectors bust Team Plasma, Hoenn Protectors bust Team Magma/Aqua) So it isn't really THAT much of a Journey RP, actually I don't know what to call it.

As for the rest of your points, you're completely reshaping what we've been working on, and I frankly don't support the idea.

Just trying to be professional here.
It's Whimsical WYMSICAL!

Links To Be Added Soon
Old December 11th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Adventure
do it my o w n way

I like drunk's suggestions. Sounds doable and a lot like the Pokémon Special/Adventures Manga ^^ *only recently read the DP arc*

I'm not a fan of war RPs, but maybe that's because I'm a sucker for journey RPs with building a team and all rather than just playing with what you've got.

¤
Old December 11th, 2011, 10:57 AM
pokemongarnet
CAT-BUS!

Quote:

Yeah, I like picking them too because sometimes there are songs that fit the character perfectly.

EDIT: That post i just made was #666 o_o
Old December 11th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Wymsical

@RHCP: It's not really a war RP, because you're not fighting in the war. You're trying to find out the truth. Trying to defeat the teams. And I think we can build teams in it, it would be a nice addition.

@Pokemongarnet: Congratz! Be expecting the devil me at your doorstep in three...two...one...
It's Whimsical WYMSICAL!

Links To Be Added Soon
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here