Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner
Reload this Page Roleplay Discussion Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Roleplay Corner The realm where writers gather to create glorious tales or silly drama together and chronicle their adventures. Start or join roleplays featuring Pokémon, other franchises or something completely original!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old January 30th, 2012 (11:30 AM).
adventure
e v e r y s t o r y

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by PkMnTrainer Yellow:
So, guys, I hate to interrupt the discussion about originality and wizards, but I've got an unrelated question.

If I were to work on another guide, what should the subject be? (That is to say, what would you guys like to know about?)

Look at me! Assuming I can teach people things. Pshaw.
Look around the board and see if there's something players should learn? Just... in your last guide I somehow felt like you were saying "This is how things shall be and no other way" while I'd rather you said that "This is how things could and probably should be, but there are of course other ways". Unless it's something about grammar or spelling or general post length ^^
Old January 30th, 2012 (11:53 AM).
PkMnTrainer Yellow
Pokemon Professor / RP Mentor
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
I could do that, but on the other hand I'd rather just ask people what they think would be a great subject to get an idea of what people care about.

Also... Speaking of grammar...

When reading a guide, the "should" is implied from the start. (As opposed to rules where it's not.) Stating it again makes one appear to lack a backbone or not be sure of themselves.
Old January 30th, 2012 (12:08 PM). Edited January 30th, 2012 by Nakuzami.
Nakuzami
Okay.
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote originally posted by -DeepImpact-:
I did a lot more on the mages part. n__n Check it out!
Quote originally posted by -DeepImpact-:

Spoiler:
Class 1: Mage.
Spoiler:

Mage, also known in this universe as a magician, sorcerer, sorceress or wizard, is basically a person who follows the path of magic. They may specialize in magic, or may be learning it. Mages perform magic by either casting spells using a wand, by performing rituals, or by creating potions. Magic, whether it be spells, or rituals, work by channeling the inner life force called mana. Magicians, when young, are taught the art of using their mana in moderation, as overuse may cause unconsciousness, exhaustion, or even in some cases, death.

As a young magician, the mage is made to go through several years of training. After series of tests, if the mage manages to pass, he/she is given the license to perform magic freely around the land. Usually training starts when the person is 13, the time when children are supposed to decide their paths. The training ends when the child is 21. A mage is forced to study all kinds of magic, but they may excel only in a few. (Think of it like this, in school, you are forced to study Mathematics, English and Science, it is possible that you may be very good at Science, but not good at understanding Mathematics)

A lot of a Mage’s ability also depend on their age. As a young magician, you may be lacking in the experience department, but you have a lot more mana to spend. As an older magician, you may be wise and have experience, but your old age limits your mana usage.

In order to become a mage, a person has to be really patient, to learn the various spells. Magicians aren’t scared of failure, as failure makes them correct their mistakes and move forward. A mage also needs to be extremely patient and have very delicate and precise movements, they cannot be of the clumsy kind. Mostly, mages born into families practicing magic have more magical powers than those who aren’t. As a magician, the user is better at ranged attacks (ie, attacks from a distance) than melee or close quarters combat.

Notable magicians are Merlin and Magus. Merlin is the founder of all types of magic, the one who publicized it in the land, while Magus is the author of the ‘Magia Liber’, the most powerful book on magic in the world. It contains all spells that have ever existed in the world, and some dark ones as well, also the reason there is only one copy of the book, locked away deep inside a hidden place.

Types of magic

Ignea Magica/Red Magic: Red magic is basically offensive magic that does basic amounts of damage to other mages/creatures. Most spells in Red magic are related to fire, but Red magic is any kind of magic involving offensive spells. This type of magic draws its power from the user’s mana. The most basic spells in this type of magic do not require a lot of mana, while more powerful spells may need to draw more power. To use this power, a mage normally needs a sturdy wand.

Magiae Naturalis/Green Magic: Green magic is magic related to nature. Mostly this type of magic is related to defensive spells, although there are exceptions. Green magic may be related to drawing mana from plants and animals, or even sharing their resources with them. Some may also involve defending oneself using the surroundings, or attacking an enemy with nature. This kind of magic requires low to moderate mana usage. Magicians excelling in this kind of magic will often carry a wand, and also carry herbs with them.

Magica Sanitatis/White magic: White magic is magic related to healing or holy power. This type of magic is really powerful, but draws upon more mana than others. This type of magic focuses on healing injured beings/persons, or may also be related to drawing power from holy objects. For this magic to work, a mage merely needs to grasp the concept of holy beings such as ‘God’. To work this kind of magic, Mages need to be skilled in rituals and potions.

Magica Mortem/Black Magic: The darkest kind of magic in the land. It is forbidden to learn or practice this kind of magic, and learning it will make the user suffer severe punishment, mostly death. This sort of magic is related to death and spirits. It can only be used by magicians who house pure evil in their hearts, and have cruel intentions. It draws upon great amounts of power from the user, therefore only the strongest magicians can use this magic. Powerful spells in this sort of magic include resurrecting dead souls and killing people to gain power. In order to be skilled in this sot of magic, mages need to be skilled in rituals.

>:(
I see Black Magic more as offensive magic, like you have red magic listed there. That's how people usually use it. White magic is normally healing, and sometimes defensive spells. Nature magic (pfft, green magic) is . . . well, yes, basically like that. Although, you can mix nature magic with white magic, as some aspects of them are the same/similar, although they have their differences.
If you take an Elder Scrolls approach, you'd have magic classes like Destruction, Restoration, Illusion, Conjuration, Mysticism, Alteration and Alchemy.
With a FF approach . . . er, I'm not sure how they all work, but I know they have Black magic as that offensive magic. In KH it's just magic, so I dunno too much there, lol.
Another one I can think of is Blue Dragon, which has Black magic as offensive magic and White magic as healing magic, with a few spells such as "Shine" that use light to attack, and although it's rather weak it can blind your foes and works especially well on the undead. I think there's also Barrier magic and . . . um, I forget what it's called, but it's kind of like magic that makes your opponent more vunerable, kind of like the Saboteur role in FFXIII.

Of course you could just say the basics of magic, leaving a bit of it up to the interpretation of the RPers (i.e. I take over the whole world and skool y'all in the arcane arts)

@PkMn Trainer Yellow - Pfft, I'm perfect already, why would I need a guide? /*shot*
Sadly, I think a lot of the newbies either don't read the guides/rules or don't strive to improve. I don't mean to be mean, but sometimes when I look around I just . . . *shudders* I think we need a guide on grammar. And spelling. And post length. And descriptive details. Let's just send 'em back to first grade.[/S] Maybe you could do a guide on how to describe things more, so as to create a more vivid environment and lengthen your posts? You could have a little spelling/grammar section included . . . although I don't know what you could say other than "go spellcheck so that I can at least get the basis of your post before I can even help you. Don't argue, because I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to understand you anyways. Here, now grab a dictionary and read it entirely. Come back tomorrow and recite the entire english language to me please. Have a nice night!"
Old January 30th, 2012 (12:13 PM).
adventure
e v e r y s t o r y

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by PkMnTrainer Yellow:
I could do that, but on the other hand I'd rather just ask people what they think would be a great subject to get an idea of what people care about.

Also... Speaking of grammar...

When reading a guide, the "should" is implied from the start. (As opposed to rules where it's not.) Stating it again makes one appear to lack a backbone or not be sure of themselves.
-.-' now you're doing it again. I mean, you often state things like it's a fact when it really doesn't have to be. I think I could write a guide that tells people how they could do certain things, should they like to try, and not tell them that they have to do things in a certain way.

But I do see what you mean about the should in guides.

Quote:
Sadly, I think a lot of the newbies either don't read the guides/rules or don't strive to improve. I don't mean to be mean, but sometimes when I look around I just . . . *shudders* I think we need a guide on grammar. And spelling. And post length. And descriptive details. Let's just send 'em back to first grade.[/S] Maybe you could do a guide on how to describe things more, so as to create a more vivid environment and lengthen your posts? You could have a little spelling/grammar section included . . .
Ah! I was about to write that in this post xD I could actually do a guide like that, on how to make more vivid posts and how to lengthen them easily. Whenever I got the time lol
Old January 30th, 2012 (12:19 PM).
Danger Zone
All Men Must Die.

Nature: Calm
Quote originally posted by Nakuzami:
[COLOR=black][SIZE=2]

>:(
I see Black Magic more as offensive magic, like you have red magic listed there. That's how people usually use it. White magic is normally healing, and sometimes defensive spells. Nature magic (pfft, green magic) is . . . well, yes, basically like that. Although, you can mix nature magic with white magic, as some aspects of them are the same/similar, although they have their differences.
If you take an Elder Scrolls approach, you'd have magic classes like Destruction, Restoration, Illusion, Conjuration, Mysticism, Alteration and Alchemy.
With a FF approach . . . er, I'm not sure how they all work, but I know they have Black magic as that offensive magic. In KH it's just magic, so I dunno too much there, lol.
Another one I can think of is Blue Dragon, which has Black magic as offensive magic and White magic as healing magic, with a few spells such as "Shine" that use light to attack, and although it's rather weak it can blind your foes and works especially well on the undead. I think there's also Barrier magic and . . . um, I forget what it's called, but it's kind of like magic that makes your opponent more vunerable, kind of like the Saboteur role in FFXIII.

Of course you could just say the basics of magic, leaving a bit of it up to the interpretation of the RPers (i.e. I take over the whole world and skool y'all in the arcane arts)

@PkMn Trainer Yellow - Pfft, I'm perfect already, why would I need a guide? /*shot*
Sadly, I think a lot of the newbies either don't read the guides/rules or don't strive to improve. I don't mean to be mean, but sometimes when I look around I just . . . *shudders* I think we need a guide on grammar. And spelling. And post length. And descriptive details. Let's just send 'em back to first grade.[/S] Maybe you could do a guide on how to describe things more, so as to create a more vivid environment and lengthen your posts? You could have a little spelling/grammar section included . . . although I don't know what you could say other than "go spellcheck so that I can at least get the basis of your post before I can even help you. Don't argue, because I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to understand you anyways. Here, now grab a dictionary and read it entirely. Come back tomorrow and recite the entire english language to me please. Have a nice night!"
Well, my first idea was to make all kinds of magic elemental, like Red=fire and Green=Earth, but then I thought that it would be too cliche. While yes, I do know that Black magic will be seen as more of an "offensive" kind of magic due to FF, I made black magic that way because I intend to make that part a very important plot point xD. I know the english names are very very poor, its possible that people are going to refer to the magic with their latin names though :P
Old January 30th, 2012 (12:29 PM).
PkMnTrainer Yellow
Community Supporter

@RHCP: I don't know. Statistically speaking I've picked up on short posts being caused more by people not caring for length and less by them not knowing how to make them longer.
Old January 30th, 2012 (12:30 PM).
FourCartridge

Well, I've been thinking about running a NiGHTS into Dreams RP, having rediscovered my intrest in the series and all, and I'm wondering: Am Ithe only one who knows about NiGHTS here? What would you guys think of an RP in that world?
Old January 30th, 2012 (12:37 PM).
shinysweety
In it to win it! :D

@ FourCartridge: Im not sure what NiGHTS is exactly, but it sounds cool.

Click 'n' Hover~
Wonderful Pair~

Blog~

PC Family~

My Profile~

Theme~
Old January 30th, 2012 (02:13 PM). Edited January 30th, 2012 by FourCartridge.
FourCartridge

I'd be happy to tell you:
NiGHTS is a series of two games: one on the Saturn(Nights into Dreams), the other on the Wii(Journey of Dreams). It's pretty much the definitive video game cult classic, I highly recommend playing them if you get the chance.

It's basically about this dream jester(named NiGHTS, with those capitals) who was created by the god of nightmares to haunt kids dreams and steal their Ideya(which is basically your personality given an actual form) so the nightmare god can take over the world of dreams and the waking world. NiGHTS doesn't like being ordered around or bullies(he had to be given free will when he was made, long story), so he rebels against the nightmares and helps out the hapless kids nightmares attack in a personal war against them.

In the RP I'm going to make, the players will RP those luckless kids and help NiGHTS get rid of the nightmare god, fighting personal issues given form(It's a dream world) and the still loyal nightmares(there's an entire race of em).
Old January 30th, 2012 (02:26 PM).
shinysweety

That's a rlly good idea for a RP then, and i think i know that from somewhere....

Click 'n' Hover~
Wonderful Pair~

Blog~

PC Family~

My Profile~

Theme~
Old January 30th, 2012 (04:25 PM).
curiousnathan
goodbye to the future

Nature: Mild
I don't quite understand your explanation, I am keen but care to clarify?
Old January 30th, 2012 (05:33 PM).
ShinyDiamond
«Dual Wield» User
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
I seriously know who NIGHTS is, & this is the first time I hear his story. I don't know why you would do a NIGHTS RP, no offense.

While I'm alive, I won't let any party members die.

Paired for life with Rose Quartz
~Dia+PS~
Old January 30th, 2012 (06:13 PM).
FourCartridge

Well, no harm done doing something a bit different, right? I remember you guys saying before that you wanted a non-Pokemon RP, and well, I was talking about making one. Any universe can have a good RP if it's done right.

Oh, and Curious, what exactly do you need clearing up on?
Old January 31st, 2012 (10:20 AM).
The Last Sentinel
Beginning Tracker
Community Supporter

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Skype™ to The Last Sentinel
It's official. I have 8 open spots in Harry Potter, here.
Old January 31st, 2012 (04:16 PM).
Stingray
This armor... I hate it

Ok here is two things I dislike about many of the ideas thrown up with Magic:

1: The requirement of a wand/staff. I like it where a wand/staff/focus (aka trinket of sorts) is something someone uses to ASSIST their ability to focus magic but is not a requirement. That and why does it always have to be a wand or staff? Something a little different would be nice so that not everyone is waving sticks. (Big +1 for Skyrim here... I can be a Mage running around in Heavy armor and no stick.... ya I don't get the robe's magic bonuses but I'm not so stereotypical).

2: Lack of Magical diversity. We have fire, water, nature, light (holy), and dark (mustache twisting EVIL)... Ok? What if I want to make a Mage that uses magic that creates illusions, or twists the mind ever so carefully? Nope I'm forced to control trees or throw fire.

One idea (requires a good Mod) is to lay down the ground work for "common" magic but allow players to make another line of magic if A: they help set the limits B: have a really good back story behind it that fits with the setting. Of coarse this could get out of hand :p.
Old February 1st, 2012 (07:19 AM).
Danger Zone
All Men Must Die.

Quote originally posted by Stingray:

1: The requirement of a wand/staff. I like it where a wand/staff/focus (aka trinket of sorts) is something someone uses to ASSIST their ability to focus magic but is not a requirement. That and why does it always have to be a wand or staff? Something a little different would be nice so that not everyone is waving sticks. (Big +1 for Skyrim here... I can be a Mage running around in Heavy armor and no stick.... ya I don't get the robe's magic bonuses but I'm not so stereotypical).

2: Lack of Magical diversity. We have fire, water, nature, light (holy), and dark (mustache twisting EVIL)... Ok? What if I want to make a Mage that uses magic that creates illusions, or twists the mind ever so carefully? Nope I'm forced to control trees or throw fire.

One idea (requires a good Mod) is to lay down the ground work for "common" magic but allow players to make another line of magic if A: they help set the limits B: have a really good back story behind it that fits with the setting. Of coarse this could get out of hand :p.
Thanks for commenting on that xD Anyways, for the first point that you've covered, I'll keep that in mind, and actually edit some of that too. One reason it's been kept this way is to keep knights/swordsman and mages kinda equal.

If a swordsman loses his sword, he becomes practically defenseless. He has no way to fight back, except for his fists (which will probably not get you very far in a fight in this world). Same way, if a mage loses his/her wand/staff, they will also be in a similar position like the knights.

As for the second point, illusions can be covered in light/'holy' magic. Tbh all kinds of light magic can be covered in white magic. I'll add that in. As for controlling/twisting people, it's going to be considered a part of black magic, therefore forbidden. I had actually thought of that bit, about controlling people, but decided against it. Think of it like the Imperius Curse in Harry Potter. If a spell takes away the freedom of a human, it is considered illegal.

Though taking control of animals and plants is taken care of in Green Magic.

Also, I do really think I have set just a few common types of magic. :/ I intend to make people use whatever spells they wish to use, in those certain types of magic. There are no 'set' spells, it's not going to be like Pokemon moves. But yes, I agree with the last point. I have laid out those kinds of magic, for people to follow. People can invent their own kind of magic, provided their SUs have a reason to justify how and why they stumbled upon that kind of magic.
Old February 1st, 2012 (10:24 AM).
TiTaN.JuStIn
Fighting the army of Stress...

Nature: Lonely
@DeepImpact Some questions. 1. What about time magic? I know I might be not so good in magic, but I remember seeing magics which hasten or stop beings.

2. So what else you've got except mages? Do you have any progress in other classes?

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

RPs I joined:

Pokemon: Fresh Start (as Richard J. Hope)
Old February 1st, 2012 (04:41 PM).
Nakuzami
Okay.
Community Supporter

Agreed. Too bad my computer is STUPID so I'm on my phone so I don't have the patience to add to that. For now I'll just keep writing stuff in my notebook and see what I come up with
oh, and Samartha Melon, when I was elxplaining the differences between different types of spellcasters, I forgot to say that sorcerers summon spirits to help them.
That's all for now ;P
Old February 1st, 2012 (05:25 PM).
Stingray
This armor... I hate it

@DeepImpact

Ok on Mind powers I was not directly talking about pure mind control as much as manipulation. Basically you could plant ideas or thoughts in ones mind or go as far as making their senses go haywire (cause their nervous system to go haywire making them paralyzed for a short time or FEEL like they are walking through sand up to their waist). Or simply make them see (and even feel) something that isn't there. I can see how that would work.

Also on an idea on power balance is to make Magic very dangerous to the user as well. Something like in the Dragon Age or Warhammer universe where magic is drawn to this realm from another realm that is also home to powerful magical beings (IE demons) who seek to enter this realm. So whenever a mage pulls magic from their realm they risk attracting such beasts who will try to corrupt/possess/attack the magic user. Also this adds another level of complexity for the Magic user as they are forced to resist temptations/attacks of these creatures in their minds.

OR all Spells actually take a few seconds to focus/chant correctly and this can be interrupted by getting hit or just plain losing focus (miss say a word or lose your focus for a second and the spell fails). So a Mage will NEVER be able to cast anything without extreme discipline while getting attacked. Kind of hard to focus energy when someone is trying to take your head off with a sword...
Old February 2nd, 2012 (01:38 AM).
Danger Zone
All Men Must Die.

Quote originally posted by TiTaN.JuStIn:
@DeepImpact Some questions. 1. What about time magic? I know I might be not so good in magic, but I remember seeing magics which hasten or stop beings.

2. So what else you've got except mages? Do you have any progress in other classes?
Time... well, no. People tend to go out of hand when concerned with time magic. Even if I DO end up adding time magic, it will not be done by any player in the RP. Mostly NPCs in that case, that too only for the plot.

Also I haven't been able to work at ALL on the RP because I had a test and I haven't been well recently :(

Quote originally posted by Nakuzami:

Agreed. Too bad my computer is STUPID so I'm on my phone so I don't have the patience to add to that. For now I'll just keep writing stuff in my notebook and see what I come up with
oh, and Samartha Melon, when I was elxplaining the differences between different types of spellcasters, I forgot to say that sorcerers summon spirits to help them.
That's all for now ;P
HUSH YOU LOL

Anyways, spirits, like I said, are forbidden, so lol no.

@DeepImpact

Ok on Mind powers I was not directly talking about pure mind control as much as manipulation. Basically you could plant ideas or thoughts in ones mind or go as far as making their senses go haywire (cause their nervous system to go haywire making them paralyzed for a short time or FEEL like they are walking through sand up to their waist). Or simply make them see (and even feel) something that isn't there. I can see how that would work.

Also on an idea on power balance is to make Magic very dangerous to the user as well. Something like in the Dragon Age or Warhammer universe where magic is drawn to this realm from another realm that is also home to powerful magical beings (IE demons) who seek to enter this realm. So whenever a mage pulls magic from their realm they risk attracting such beasts who will try to corrupt/possess/attack the magic user. Also this adds another level of complexity for the Magic user as they are forced to resist temptations/attacks of these creatures in their minds.

OR all Spells actually take a few seconds to focus/chant correctly and this can be interrupted by getting hit or just plain losing focus (miss say a word or lose your focus for a second and the spell fails). So a Mage will NEVER be able to cast anything without extreme discipline while getting attacked. Kind of hard to focus energy when someone is trying to take your head off with a sword...
Tbh I can see how that works too. I'll add that, but yes, there will be lots of limits on that. I don't want absolutely everything to be a cakewalk in this RP for the mages.

I'll go with the second option, actually. I have added that the mages are usually patient and have to have focus, otherwise they won't get anywhere. Naturally, moderate damage or slightly powerful spells will require some focus, while minor spells, like say, creating a small sized fireball won't take a lot of focus and can be conjured immediately. Same with the knight, to be able to just slash is easy, but to attack with a powerful technique, one will require precision and power, so you'll have to focus in battle.
Old February 3rd, 2012 (06:49 AM).
Dusk
A Glitch in the System

I posted a Wolf's Rain RP in the OOC Section, hopefully it gets accepted :D

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old February 3rd, 2012 (08:07 AM).
PkMnTrainer Yellow
Community Supporter

@Zerin: You just started your first RP. Be careful.
Old February 3rd, 2012 (10:27 AM).
Zero Darkness
The Cripple Who Is Whole

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Zero Darkness
Ok here I advertise my RP, it have been accepted the link is Here. If I will see that people start joining it I will also post the maps of the regions, and maybe detail more about Obilion. Just that now I dont have any motivation to do that. The RP is about 8 young mens and womens that found themselves in Obilion a world in another dimension. Each one of them control an element, at their 16 birthday they start to find out what it is. When they arrive at Obilion they are in a middle of a siege. Join the battle vs "Void", in this fantasy AND Sci-Fi RP[when you read this you will found out how] and be Elemental!!
"There are two types of fights. Whenever we are in battle, we must be one of the two. The fight for life or…the fight for pride! Right now…He is fighting for his pride! His wife’s pride…his men's pride…Most importantly…his own personal pride. Dismiss this as his stubbornness…and let him fight alone like this…" -Jushiro Ukitake, Bleach-

"It's meaningless to just live, it's meaningless to just fight. I want to win!" -Ichigo Kurosaki, Bleach-
Old February 3rd, 2012 (12:33 PM).
shinysweety

Hey everyone, mind if i start a new topic? Why did you start Roleplaying?

Click 'n' Hover~
Wonderful Pair~

Blog~

PC Family~

My Profile~

Theme~
Old February 3rd, 2012 (12:46 PM).
ShinyDiamond
«Dual Wield» User
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Quote originally posted by shinysweety:
Hey everyone, mind if i start a new topic? Why did you start Roleplaying?
Never thought I'd be asked this question. Well I've been reading different fanfiction stories from other websites like Kingdom Hearts, Sonic the Hedgehog, Pokemon etc. I was so enthrilled by it I wanted to be in a story like them. I looked for websites where I can do that, when I found one website about roleplaying. It got me curious & I checked it out. I found my goal, where I can be who I wanna be.

Of course I looked for different websites involving roleplaying. Then I thought of Pokemon. I tried looking for a website like that & I found Pokecommunity. I checked out the Roleplay Corner & got aquientent with it. It took me a while to figure out stuff before I started roleplaying. My first RP was a mystery dungeon RP, & the rest I joined more & more. Some died, some got more members. It was great being someone else.

While I'm alive, I won't let any party members die.

Paired for life with Rose Quartz
~Dia+PS~
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links