Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Theatre > Roleplay Stage
Reload this Page Roleplay Discussion Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Roleplay Stage This is where the In-Character roleplaying happens. Before you create a thread here, recruit some players in Roleplay Casting. Your very own legend is about to unfold! A world of dreams and adventures awaits! Let's go!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old May 1st, 2012 (01:29 PM).
Pokemon Professor / RP Mentor
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
@Nam: ...That depends on whether you're talking about Megaman, a game series involving super fighting robots, or Battle Network, a completely unrelated game series that just happens to steal names and designs from Megaman. Because I'm only interested in the former. You see on top of being a major Pokemon dork I'm also a Megaman dork. I'd feel compelled to join a Megaman RP of any sort really. However, that doesn't mean I'm interested in Battle Network. After all, they have nothing in common, and shouldn't be used interchangeably as often as they are. >-> /angst
Old May 1st, 2012 (01:49 PM).
King of the Hell

Quote originally posted by PkMnTrainer Yellow:
@Nam: ...That depends on whether you're talking about Megaman, a game series involving super fighting robots, or Battle Network, a completely unrelated game series that just happens to steal names and designs from Megaman. Because I'm only interested in the former. You see on top of being a major Pokemon dork I'm also a Megaman dork. I'd feel compelled to join a Megaman RP of any sort really. However, that doesn't mean I'm interested in Battle Network. After all, they have nothing in common, and shouldn't be used interchangeably as often as they are. >-> /angst
Err... What's "Battle Network"? Never heard of it in my life.

I might join a MegaManRP, I haven't played a lot of the games but I do know the whole basic concept of it. So I'd need a refresher course on the canon before diving in.
Old May 1st, 2012 (01:58 PM). Edited May 1st, 2012 by machomuu.
Don't think, feel.

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by Zerin:
Err... What's "Battle Network"? Never heard of it in my life.

I might join a MegaManRP, I haven't played a lot of the games but I do know the whole basic concept of it. So I'd need a refresher course on the canon before diving in.
Megaman Battle Network (Also known as Megaman.EXE in Japan) is a GBA sideseries of Megaman that takes place in an alternate universe where the "Digital Revolution" has taken over (it still contains most of the original Megaman cast, though they are alternate forms of themselves, most of them return in one way or another). You play as Lan (whose name is a not so subtle pun, but it's pretty much that way with almost everybody's name) who has a Net Navi (an AI that does everything digital for you) names Megaman.EXE. Lan is faced with saving the world in six different installments via RPG based combat. The games are pretty fun, 5 and 6 being my favorite, but I hear 4 (or 3) is the best. It's succeeded by the not-so-great "Starforce" series, which I, personally (or really most others, especially Megaman Battle Network fans) wouldn't recommend, though I hear that 3 is actually good. Megaman.EXE would actually be a great source to RP, it has about as much potential as an X or Zero RP, and I'd certainly be interested.
Old May 1st, 2012 (02:11 PM).
King of the Hell

Okay, so... What's the difference with MegaMan?
Old May 1st, 2012 (02:28 PM).
Don't think, feel.

Okay, so... What's the difference with MegaMan?
In Battle Network, he's a Net Navi, an AI that helps Lan, the protagonist. He's the one who does all of the fighting (though in 5 you could technically say that they both do). The difference being that in the main series he's a robot created by Dr.Light, in Battle Network he's a Navi who was created by Lan's father.
Old May 1st, 2012 (02:50 PM).
Crystal Tier

@Machomuu: Stop spreading misinformation.

@Zerin: It has about as much in common with Megaman as Final Fantasy. Here, let me list the actual things they have in common, which is much easier than listing the things they don't have in common because that list is virtually infinite.

The designs for some characters are references to Megaman characters.
The names for some characters are references to Megaman characters.
Some powers of some characters are very vague references to Megaman characters.

However the characters themselves are not really very faithful to the originals at all, and these references are superficial at best. The games don't have much more in common. It is not a side series and is in fact it's own separate universe and canonity with absolutely no relation to the original. The original characters do not 'return', and in fact are only shallow references. As of right now it's a relative mystery why they named the series Megaman at all... perhaps laziness.

It resembles a reboot in nature, except that Megaman hasn't ended and in fact has a bit further to go before the main story even ends.
Old May 1st, 2012 (02:55 PM).
King of the Hell

Ah... I see... So... What is the real MegaMan about, other than robots?
Old May 1st, 2012 (03:18 PM).
Crystal Tier

@Zerin: I prefer the term 'original' Megaman. But well... that's a really long story. There's like, almost 40 games now?

The classic games detail what is commonly referred to as the Wily Wars--or rather, Megaman's war against Doctor Wily. I could go on and on explaining exactly why there's a war and exactly what goes down in each game, but that would take up a copious ammount of space in this post just to cover the first 17 games, which is the classic series. (Megaman 1-10 and Megaman I-V, a seperate five games for the gameboy, and Megaman & Bass 1 and 2.) That isn't even counting the spinoffs such as Megaman Soccer >>

Basically? Doctor Wily builds super robots that megaman, another super robot, has to go murderify to stop Wily from taking over the world and stuff. Each game has twists, and Doctor Wily has his reasons for being a lunatic.

Megaman X the sequel series. Doctor Light invents X, a robot so advanced he is no longer just a robot but an android capable of free thought, and seals him away for what ends up being at least a century to make sure he doesn't malfunction and kill everyone. Over nine thousand androids (named reploids) are built based off X's technology, however Doctor Wily built an android named Zero who contained a highly contagious virus that causes most reploids to go maverick, a term used to vaguely describe reploids that become dangerous to society. The games typically detail X and Zero (Zero having been more or less cured of his own virus somehow so that he is now a good guy) murderifying a bunch of reploids and eventually murdering Sigma, a particularly persistent reploid bent on establishing reploid dominance over humans under the guise of unlocking limitless potential for reploids through 'evolution'. In a couple of games Sigma is not the ultimate antagonist however.

Megaman Zero is a sequel series to Megaman X. Megaman Zero takes place quite a time after Megaman X, after a war that happens outside of the games called the elf wars. It details Zero's 'ressurection' from stasis and how he liberates a broken world from a corrupt utopia called Neo Arcadia which is run by a copy of X that has gone maverick. Later in the series a lunatic named Dr. Weil enters the picture, assumes control of Neo Arcadia, and basically tries to murderify /everything/. The original X is only present in Megaman Zero in the form of a ghost, technically called a cyber-elf as far as game lore goes.

Megaman ZX is the latest Megaman series, and details quite a few different protagonists including the first ever non-support female protagonists. The protagonists, which have so far varied each game use 'biometals', strange hunks of metal that allow then to transform and game the armor and abilities of the reploid said metal is based on (Model X bestows the powers of X and Model Z bestows the power of Zero for instance.). They are generally trying to stop Model W, a unique 'biometal' based off Dr. Weil that corrupts people and feeds off negative emotions.

Megaman Legends takes place thousands of years after the rest of the series, though the last game in the series (Megaman Legends 2) was made quite some time ago, and I honestly don't know a great deal about this particular series as I'm not a sony fan and Megaman Legends 2 is not available on any Nintendo console or the PC. I do know that it details a man named Megaman Volnutt however, and that he resembles X for reasons that are unclear to me.

This was all the extremely abridged version of what Megaman is 'about'. To properly detail the entire series would...take hilarious amounts of time and text. xD
Old May 1st, 2012 (03:23 PM). Edited May 1st, 2012 by machomuu.
Don't think, feel.

@Machomuu: Stop spreading misinformation.

@Zerin: It has about as much in common with Megaman as Final Fantasy. Here, let me list the actual things they have in common, which is much easier than listing the things they don't have in common because that list is virtually infinite.

The designs for some characters are references to Megaman characters.
The names for some characters are references to Megaman characters.
Some powers of some characters are very vague references to Megaman characters.

However the characters themselves are not really very faithful to the originals at all, and these references are superficial at best. The games don't have much more in common. It is not a side series and is in fact it's own separate universe and canonity with absolutely no relation to the original. The original characters do not 'return', and in fact are only shallow references. As of right now it's a relative mystery why they named the series Megaman at all... perhaps laziness.

It resembles a reboot in nature, except that Megaman hasn't ended and in fact has a bit further to go before the main story even ends.
Look it up, it takes place in an alternate universes and the characters are different versions of their "Megaman" selves (that's how the multiverse works). In the same sense, the characters from the Mainline games are alternate versions of the BN characters. I said "Side series" because it's not the mainline Megaman series(or the "Real Megaman", as Zerin puts it, though in truth there is no specific "Real Megaman, so long as they exist in some specific canon). Yes, it is a separate series, but without the original Megaman it certainly wouldn't exist.

Here's a summary of what Battle Network is:
Spoiler:
The series is set in the year 200X, (sometimes written as 20XX) in an alternate version of the original Mega Man universe in which networks, rather than robots, were the subject of the most research. Like the original, there were two main projects and only one was funded, but unlike the original, the work of Dr. Tadashi Hikari (the series' version of Dr. Light - the name makes reference to both "Light" and "Right" being correct names for Mega Man's creator in the original series) in the field of networking and AI programs had been funded over Dr. Wily's research in robotics. The result of Dr. Hikari's research was the PET (PErsonal Terminal, pronounced P-E-T rather than the word "pet"), a small computer which is used similarly to a cellular phone or PDA and which contains a customizable artificial intelligence complete with emotions, known as a NetNavi (short for Network Navigator). A NetNavi is responsible for helping the operator search, use, and surf the internet as well as protect the PET and itself from viruses. Within years the Internet evolves to the point where it literally becomes possible to send an AI into it and physically move around as if it were another world, and technically, it is. There is some danger, however: viruses evolve alongside Navis and the Internet to become intelligent on some level. Navis presumably have advanced data to prevent tampering with their code directly: Viruses cannot harm them by corrupting their data, unlike viruses of our age, who cannot do anything but this. However, because the Internet has evolved to the point of taking on a manifestation, so, too, can virtual weapons be used. If a Navi or a Virus takes too much damage, its programming will lose integrity, disperse, and be deleted shortly afterwards. Each Navi has antiviral weapons that are built directly into its programming that provide basic defense, and can, in addition to this, be sent weapon programs from the PET via the use of BattleChips.
Some years later, the series focuses on Tadashi's grandson, Lan Hikari (Netto Hikari [1] in the Japanese version), both original and English names being a play on computer terminology ("Netto" is a pun on "Internet", while Lan is a pun on LAN), and his extraordinary navi, MegaMan.EXE (Rockman.EXE). They somehow get involved in foiling the schemes of a net-crime organization called the WWW ("World Three"), headed by Wily.
In another tribute to the original series, most (but not all) of the Navis in the series are named after characters from the original series (although in Battle Network all NetNavis are supposed to carry the "EXE" file extension, to differentiate them from their original counterparts). As the games progressed, however, certain characters from the X series, most notably Zero, Iris and Colonel have also appeared as NetNavis, prompting some fans to believe that, similar to the original series, the Battle Network series will eventually transition to an 'X' stage. Completely original NetNavis have also been made for the series, with some exclusive to the anime series. In every game since the second (with the exception of Battle Network 3), NetNavis used by Mr. Famous were created by fans of the series, being winners of design contests from Capcom of Japan.

The mainline Megaman series is pretty generic in terms of story (but by no means bad), or at least the base setup is. It's about a man named Dr.Light, this scientist creates several robots (originally Rock (Megaman or Rockman), Roll, and the dog and bird I can't remember the names of) and he uses them to combat the evil Dr.Wily. As the games go on, however, the story does thicken, though never to the level of its SNES and GBA younger brothers. X and Zero are much more story-centric, but someone else should probably go into those, I've only beaten Zero 1.
Old May 1st, 2012 (03:44 PM).
King of the Hell

That clarifies A LOT, thanks. I'd honestly say either of those would make good RPs.

Quote originally posted by machomuu:
Look it up, it takes place in an alternate universes and the characters are different versions of their "Megaman" selves (that's how the multiverse works). In the same sense, the characters from the Mainline games are alternate versions of the BN characters. I said "Side series" because it's not the mainline Megaman series(or the "Real Megaman", as Zerin puts it, though in truth there is no specific "Real Megaman, so long as they exist in some specific canon). Yes, it is a separate series, but without the original Megaman it certainly wouldn't exist.

The mainline Megaman series is pretty generic in terms of story (but by no means bad), or at least the base setup is. It's about a man named Dr.Light, this scientist creates several robots (originally Rock (Megaman or Rockman), Roll, and the dog and bird I can't remember the names of) and he uses them to combat the evil Dr.Wily. As the games go on, however, the story does thicken, though never to the level of its SNES and GBA younger brothers. X and Zero are much more story-centric, but someone else should probably go into those, I've only beaten Zero 1.
I missed this whole series, but I think I've played a Megaman game AND a BattleNet game, and both seemed fun to me, in different play styles.
Old May 1st, 2012 (03:48 PM). Edited May 1st, 2012 by machomuu.
Don't think, feel.

That clarifies A LOT, thanks. I'd honestly say either of those would make good RPs.

I missed this whole series, but I think I've played a Megaman game AND a BattleNet game, and both seemed fun to me, in different play styles.
Yeah, that's the beauty of the Megaman games, they stretch to different genres without feeling like watered down rehashes of other games of the same genre and end up appealing to several crowds. I can certainly have seen them simply just making a generic turn-based Megaman RPG and stretching it out over several games, but BN is quite unique in its own rite.
Old May 1st, 2012 (03:59 PM).
«Dual Wield» User
Crystal Tier

Nature: Bashful
Nice info about Megaman. How about Starforce? I have Megaman Starforce 3: Red Joker.

-___- I'm bringing this up again.

Has there been an RP of Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

Paired for life with Rose Quartz
~Dia+RS~
Old May 1st, 2012 (04:14 PM).
Crystal Tier

@Machomuu: Battle Network is /not canon/ whatsoever in Megaman or vice versa. Alternate universe is also just blatant laziness on Capcom's part and is actually code word for "They have absolutely no relation, but we wanted to reuse character concepts". This conversation is also extremely irritating on account of persistent misinformation. -_-
Old May 1st, 2012 (04:18 PM).
Don't think, feel.

@Machomuu: Battle Network is /not canon/ whatsoever in Megaman or vice versa. Alternate universe is also just blatant laziness on Capcom's part and is actually code word for "They have absolutely no relation, but we wanted to reuse character concepts". This conversation is also extremely irritating on account of persistent misinformation.
Seriously, please just look it up. It's its own canon, and it's not false information, I checked my sources and assured myself accordingly. If you won't believe me, please just look it up, at the very least.

As for an SSBB RP, I don't know if there's been one, but if there were I'd really recommend a cutting a few characters, having all those different characters running around could become hectic, especially if someone left during the RP.
Old May 1st, 2012 (04:57 PM).
Crystal Tier

@Machomuu: I... just said it was it's own canon. Y'know what else is it's own canon? Street fighter. Zelda. Every game series ever. Canons are what /define/ a series. Not some silly name in the title. That's why fangames on the internet aren't part of the series. -_-;

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Megaman+Timeline
First result. If you really want to respect Battle Network as a series like I do, then you need to acknowledge it's complete independence.
Old May 1st, 2012 (05:05 PM).
Don't think, feel.

@Machomuu: I... just said it was it's own canon. Y'know what else is it's own canon? Street fighter. Zelda. Every game series ever. Canons are what /define/ a series. Not some silly name in the title. That's why fangames on the internet aren't part of the series. ;

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Megaman+Timeline
First result. If you really want to respect Battle Network as a series like I do, then you need to acknowledge it's independence.
I'm pretty sure I agreed with you on that point, that's why I said official canon earlier, as in those that Capcom has accepted into the canon (or canons, in this case), alienating fan series. It follows the Multiverse Theory, and in fact, from that same wiki, it says "In a parallel universe from the classic Mega Man series, the Internet has become integrated with almost every piece of electronic equipment in existence (from TVs to ovens)," at the very beginning of the Megaman Battle Network entry.
Old May 1st, 2012 (05:19 PM).
Greatness = Working Hard

I've been watching alot of anime recently during my spare and just made me want to rp including Digimon(but those don't usually do too well), Gundam, Rurouni Kenshin etc. I'm thinking that maybe a megaman rp would be a big hit
Old May 1st, 2012 (05:22 PM).
Don't think, feel.

Quote originally posted by jackblaze:
I've been watching alot of anime recently during my spare and just made me want to rp including Digimon(but those don't usually do too well), Gundam, Rurouni Kenshin etc. I'm thinking that maybe a megaman rp would be a big hit
A Gundam RP would be pretty nice, but I worry what would happen if a RuroKen RP were made, of course, if the participants were to immerse themselves and their pasts in the feudal war and its effects on them as well as the events of Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, I could see it being interesting.
Old May 1st, 2012 (05:42 PM).
Crystal Tier

@Machomuu: The issue is that Capcom's explanation is superficial and utterly devoid of actual meaning.

Two canonities being contained in a larger meta-canonity does not change the canonities and it does not make them one canonity. If you take a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jelly and put them in a bag, they are still as separate as they were before. The multiverse canonity /only applies/ to the multiverse, not the RPs within it. >_<;

...and there are no games or official content that takes place in the multiverse, so it means nothing. @_@

Do you see what I'm saying? =/
Old May 1st, 2012 (06:05 PM). Edited May 1st, 2012 by machomuu.
Don't think, feel.

@Machomuu: The issue is that Capcom's explanation is superficial and utterly devoid of actual meaning.

Two canonities being contained in a larger meta-canonity does not change the canonities and it does not make them one canonity. If you take a jar of peanut butter and a jar of jelly and put them in a bag, they are still as separate as they were before. The multiverse canonity /only applies/ to the multiverse, not the RPs within it. >_<;

...and there are no games or official content that takes place in the multiverse, so it means nothing. @_@

Do you see what I'm saying? =/
On the contrary, the multiverse applies to any supposition. Any at all, there are infinite multiverses. Say I were not to write this message, that would create a new universe. Say I were to word this sentence differently, that's a new universe to. Heck, say I were to write this post slower, new universe. As I said, several times in fact, there are multiple canons (similar to what you said), however, the difference between this and, say, Final Fantasy (the anthologies, not the related ones), is that there was a point where Megaman Classic and Megaman BN were only one canon. When was this? Before the internet revolutionized the world. Or, on the other hand, before robots did. So really, it does make sense, there was an action somewhere in the history that caused the universe to split into two separate universes (canons), the BN one and the Classic one (one where the internet has become a major part of life and one where robots have, respectively).

And actually there are games that take place in a multiverse. Many of the Dragon Ball games take place in an alternate timeline or universe than the "Main Timeline". Also, for a more relevant example, take Pokemon. Ash Ketchum, Red, and Red (Adventures), all take place in different universes, but what's unique about these is that they are all different versions of the same person (counterparts, if you will), but at the same time they're not the same person. Similar deal (Though still different in a few ways) with BN and Classic, the Protoman of Classic isn't the same person (well, he's not really a person at all) as the Protoman in BN, but he is his counterpart, and vice versa. I freakin' love multiverse and timelines, such a theory of infinite multiplicity that can apply to everything, and it's so simple yet so complex at the same time. /Gush

Also, I never said they were contained in a larger meta-canon, they're not. The only way that is possible is if somewhere in between there is someone who crosses over into the other universe, thus reconnecting the two universes without them actually converging (if they were to converge, it would become a single canon once again, that's pretty much the only way there could ever be a single...well, that's not true; by converging there are technically more universes created, but as far as the games are concerned, that's the only way they would be one canon again as far as our universe (in the real world) is concerned).

Anyway, it's not really appropriate to continue this- here at least, I'd love to continue it in another section, though. But this is fun, definitely a good use of time (no pun intended).
Old May 1st, 2012 (06:44 PM).
«Dual Wield» User
Crystal Tier

Those are some interesting facts about the Battle Network. But what about Starforce?

~Dia+RS~
Old May 1st, 2012 (06:48 PM).
I will kill the strong ones

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Rose Quartz
SD- you have red joker right? :I can you help me? I have black ace (lol you already knew but yeah...) I can't get futher by the part that virusses came into the real world and that you have to find something in the network >.< Where do i have to look?!
Old May 1st, 2012 (06:51 PM). Edited May 1st, 2012 by machomuu.
Don't think, feel.

Quote originally posted by ShinyDiamond:
Those are some interesting facts about the Battle Network. But what about Starforce?
Starforce takes place in the Battle Network timeline and takes place about 200 years after the final Battle Network. At this time, the Net has been substituted for EM Waves (which is something, since I'm watching Steins; Gate...). I haven't played the SF games much, but that's what I know for sure. Here's some more info (don't worry about legitimacy, it's all true):
"Though cyber worlds and NetNavis still exist in Star Force, human dependency on them has greatly decreased, and people no longer have Navi companions. Three large satellites orbiting the Earth—Pegasus, Leo, and Dragon—power the EM Wave World that exists around the Earth's atmosphere, keeping the world networked. While the EM Wave World is normally invisible to the human eye, a special piece of eye-wear called the Visualizer (possessed by the series' protagonist) allows a human to see this other world. However, like with the cyber worlds of Battle Network, EM Wave Viruses inhabit the EM Wave World, causing problems in every day life.
In Battle Network, people operated PErsonal Terminals (PETs) to constantly interact with the network. Similar devices called Transers are used in the Star Force world. Transers are compatible with Battle Cards, and when swiped through, they provide means to deleting viruses that infect the EM Wave World and other electronic devices. A group of Satella Police also exist, dedicated to stopping virus attacks and thwarting criminals who manipulate the EM Wave World in order to break the law.
Furthermore, there exists an alien planet known as "Planet FM," inhabited by extraterrestrial beings called FM-ians. FM-ians can traverse in both worlds, and also possess the ability to physically merge with human beings through a process called "Electromagnetic Wave Change". Other than lending a human the FM-ian's powers, this process also transforms an ordinary human into an "EM Wave Human," allowing him or her to freely operate in the EM Wave World (as well as cyber networks within specific electronic devices).
The protagonist of Star Force is Geo Stelar, the son of a famous scientist and astronaut. He has an encounter with a rogue FM-ian known as Omega-Xis who takes residency in Geo's Transer. When the two go through an Electromagnetic Wave Change they form an entity that is eventually known as Mega Man."

It would be quite the setup for an RP.
Old May 1st, 2012 (07:01 PM).
«Dual Wield» User
Crystal Tier

PinkSapphire-Depends. What was the last thing you did & what do you have to do now? I don't know where you really are.

machomuu-My phone won't open the spoiler. Can you post it without the spoiler?

~Dia+RS~
Old May 1st, 2012 (07:03 PM).
Don't think, feel.

Quote originally posted by ShinyDiamond:
PinkSapphire-Depends. What was the last thing you did & what do you have to do now? I don't know where you really are.

machomuu-My phone won't open the spoiler. Can you post it without the spoiler?
Okay, I just edited it, you should be able to see it now.

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)