Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Theatre > Roleplay Stage
Reload this Page Roleplay Discussion Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Roleplay Stage This is where the In-Character roleplaying happens. Before you create a thread here, recruit some players in Roleplay Casting. Your very own legend is about to unfold! A world of dreams and adventures awaits! Let's go!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old May 28th, 2012 (03:50 PM).
Scientist Salarian

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by PkMnTrainer Yellow:

How long does it normally take you to write posts? Why do you think it takes you as long as it does? Do you feel like you post too slowly or too quickly? What could you do to increase the frequency of your posting, theoretically? Got any advice for others on how to handle their posting habbits?
Anything from 15 minutes to an hour and a half, depending on what I want to do and how distracted I get. Sometimes, if I have to write something that requires a lot of thought (like battling - not only do we have to write it but choreograph it in our heads which can be exhausting), I'll take longer. Dialogue on the other hand, comes pretty quickly.

I believe that I am somewhere in between, but that it also depends on the role play. If I'm involved in dialogue then I'll post quicker to keep it flowing, and if it's more solo stuff then I'll go slower, matching the pace. I think that's a fairly good way to do it, but then I could be wrong. XD

For others... Quality over quantity for sure, but don't feel pressured to write a massive post, even if people are talking about how they've just written a X,000 word one. Post when you want, but try to think about whether you really need to post. If your character has nothing to do, get them doing something but make it interesting - insert their persona into everything they do. You might find you have loads more to say about them, and you might even learn something too.

... Those are my two cents anyhow. Good question Yellow, I always try to come up with stuff but it's always too generic and not as thought provoking.

Old May 28th, 2012 (04:20 PM).
«Dual Wield» User
Crystal Tier

Nature: Bashful
How long does it normally take you to write posts? Why do you think it takes you as long as it does? Do you feel like you post too slowly or too quickly? What could you do to increase the frequency of your posting, theoretically? Got any advice for others on how to handle their posting habbits?

It takes me about 15 minutes to 2 hours to write a post. Mostly 'cause there are other stuff I'm doing in my life. Definitely too slowly, since I try hard to think what I should include in my post. Don't know how I can increase the frequency of my posting, theoretically, whatever that means. No advice, sorry.

While I'm alive, I won't let any party members die.

Paired for life with Rose Quartz
~Dia+PS~
Old May 28th, 2012 (04:46 PM).
Queen of the Clouds

For me, it really depends on the post by the gm or the post of the person who I plan to interact with and my muse. Sometimes I have the muse, but I have so little to work with I take a while to decide what to do. At other times I have enough to write a post, but I don't have the muse to write something interesting and there are times where I am able to write them pretty quickly because I have the muse and the information from the previous post. I don't really care for how fast or slow I reply; I really care about the quality of my posts and often feel self-conscious because of the other rpers.

Credit: Google and Tove Lo.
Old May 28th, 2012 (06:19 PM).
King of the Hell

Conquest Update

I'VE POSTED THE RP, NOW IT'S UP TO SKYMIN!
  • It will be in the OOC section, titled "Sacred Fire, Divine Water [OOC/SU] [T]"
  • I POSTED IT!!
  • Any Questions?
Old May 28th, 2012 (11:18 PM).
Butcher of the Sands
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
.....And in more important news, the time has come around and nominations for the Second Quarter of the Roleplay Awards are quickly drawing to a close! So get your nominations in as soon as you can, and may the odds be ever in your favour!
Old May 29th, 2012 (04:54 AM).
King of the Hell

Hm... Will my RP still be eligible for some of the time-restricted RPs for the next awards? Considering that it might be out just as the RPA's are ending.
Old May 29th, 2012 (04:58 AM).
Going on a hiatus :'(

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to |Equinox|
Maybe it'll have to be in the new quarter (: I'm also planning to launch Pokemon Reversal by the end of the month, so it'll be in the next quarter by the time I start it :3

Old May 29th, 2012 (05:11 AM).
King of the Hell

Quote originally posted by |Equinox|:
Maybe it'll have to be in the new quarter (: I'm also planning to launch Pokemon Reversal by the end of the month, so it'll be in the next quarter by the time I start it :3
I meant that, if it will be open for all of the votes in next quarter, or whether it'll be restricted from some of them because of the time it came out.

-

On a totally random note,

I post an advertisement on here for my RP, and it's quickly followed by 4 or 5 other people advertising their own.

Why does this make me think of a stock market, where everyone's just trying to yell louder than everyone else to get what they want? XD
Old May 29th, 2012 (08:25 AM).
One cool snowman

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by 雷影 イチロ:
and may the odds be ever in your favour!
Aaaaaaahhhh, it's funny because that movie was way overhyped and then it was kind of a letdown and... Yeah...

On a more relevant point, who would be interested in a semi-journey, semi-mission based RP set in the Orre region?
Old May 29th, 2012 (08:54 AM).
Scientist Salarian

Orre region? Sounds intriguing... There's a character I have planned who I've been wanting to use recently, so yes, I'm interested. :P

Old May 29th, 2012 (01:30 PM).
Butcher of the Sands
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by 徳清アキオ:

I meant that, if it will be open for all of the votes in next quarter, or whether it'll be restricted from some of them because of the time it came out.

-

On a totally random note,

I post an advertisement on here for my RP, and it's quickly followed by 4 or 5 other people advertising their own.

Why does this make me think of a stock market, where everyone's just trying to yell louder than everyone else to get what they want? XD
Maybe because the world doesn't revolve around you and there actually are other people around.....

Quote:
On a more relevant point, who would be interested in a semi-journey, semi-mission based RP set in the Orre region?
The idea sounds interesting, would it follow along the same gameplay/storyline or would you have a different idea altogether?
Old May 29th, 2012 (02:08 PM).
King of the Hell

Quote originally posted by 雷影 イチロ:
Maybe because the world doesn't revolve around you and there actually are other people around.....
Wow... Maybe you could stop being completely biased and infusing your hatred for me into every comment you make? It's annoying, and I see no valid reason for you to do it.

My post was meant as a simple analysis, jokingly even. I've accepted the fact that I'm not the only one here. Maybe you should learn that people respond well to respect, instead of disgraceful and unnecessary retorts.

tl;dr: Go ask your parents what being polite is, and how to have manners.

Now, with that ugly conversation out of the way...

Maybe we should initiate some sort of "Common Courtesy / Etiquette Law" enforced where everyone needs to have some form of respect when posting on threads, whether it be OOC or RPDT. This, of course, excludes constructive criticism. The constructive criticism needs to be, obviously, constructive, instead of blatant rudeness. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old May 29th, 2012 (02:59 PM).
See You Space Cowboy

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by 徳清アキオ:

Wow... Maybe you could stop being completely biased and infusing your hatred for me into every comment you make? It's annoying, and I see no valid reason for you to do it.

My post was meant as a simple analysis, jokingly even. I've accepted the fact that I'm not the only one here. Maybe you should learn that people respond well to respect, instead of disgraceful and unnecessary retorts.

tl;dr: Go ask your parents what being polite is, and how to have manners.

Now, with that ugly conversation out of the way...

Maybe we should initiate some sort of "Common Courtesy / Etiquette Law" enforced where everyone needs to have some form of respect when posting on threads, whether it be OOC or RPDT. This, of course, excludes constructive criticism. The constructive criticism needs to be, obviously, constructive, instead of blatant rudeness. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Roleplayer's Etiquette 101

Stop being so sensitive.

And as to your previous question, if your RP IC begins anytime after the 1st of June (since posting the OOC doesn't technically qualify as being active), then it would qualify for nominations in the next quarter, given that it is still active when the time comes around for nominations.

Now give me my most Helpful nomination.

Also, you are all losers and I am awesome.

Paired with the Epic Legend
Old May 29th, 2012 (03:03 PM).
King of the Hell

Quote originally posted by Supervegeta:
Roleplayer's Etiquette 101

Stop being so sensitive.

And as to your previous question, if your RP IC begins anytime after the 1st of June (since posting the OOC doesn't technically qualify as being active), then it would qualify for nominations in the next quarter, given that it is still active when the time comes around for nominations.

Now give me my most Helpful nomination.

Also, you are all losers and I am awesome.
Clear sarcasm like that is acceptable, and hilarious.

It wasn't a matter of being sensitive, it was more along the lines of "Wow, this is really disrespectful behavior, maybe we should do something about it?"

Treat me with respect, and I'll do the same for you.
Old May 29th, 2012 (03:49 PM).
Scientist Salarian

Spoiler:
Akio, with all due respect, I'm getting a little tired of the way you keep requesting that people be more polite towards you or whatever whenever they say something you don't like. It causes more drama than necessary, and if perhaps you in particular were a little more thick-skinned and didn't nitpick at everything that isn't praising you then there would be less drama - part of etiquette is knowing when to keep one's mouth shut and if you think I'm being hypocritical then you may tell me so away from this thread. I'mma end this here, and I apologise if I add to the drama. I'm just so sick of coming online and seeing people bickering over silly little things, and I doubt I'm the only one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRGd0gD0QNE

Okay, now back to RP-related things... Has anyone ever taken a Mary-Sue/ Gary-Stu litmus test for a character? (A Sue/Stu is most well-known as a perfect character who is usually beautiful, talented etc. though there are other subtypes, some of which are listed here).

I think the lowest I've ever scored is about 16, though the highest is 60. It's sometimes amusing to test out characters in literature etc. as some of them score pretty high according to the test.

Old May 29th, 2012 (04:43 PM).
King of the Hell

This spoiler is for those who have been disrespectful, or those who seem to have very low opinions on people. Anyone may read, but I feel this must be said, lest we become savage monsters out to hate one another.

Spoiler:
Quote originally posted by Rokusasu:
Akio, with all due respect, I'm getting a little tired of the way you keep requesting that people be more polite towards you or whatever whenever they say something you don't like. It causes more drama than necessary, and if perhaps you in particular were a little more thick-skinned and didn't nitpick at everything that isn't praising you then there would be less drama - part of etiquette is knowing when to keep one's mouth shut and if you think I'm being hypocritical then you may tell me so away from this thread. I'mma end this here, and I apologise if I add to the drama. I'm just so sick of coming online and seeing people bickering over silly little things, and I doubt I'm the only one...
... I see no respect whatsoever put into this post. To be quite honest, I'm extremely offended that you would assume that I would take such a personal spin on this. However, I'm a better person than that, so I don't let it effect my judgement. I don't know exactly how people see me from across the internet (because no one truly knows another over the internet) but your opinion implies that I'm self-centered, arrogant, and selfish; and how wrong you are.

This whole subject of Politeness and Respect isn't specifically for me (as you seem to have assumed), it's for everyone here who's being treated unkindly. Why can't we all get along? Why can't we all learn to be kind and caring toward each other, instead of slinging insults and disrespect? I was raised (or rather, I raised myself) with the ideal that there was a such thing as common courtesy. Whether it be waiting your turn like everyone else, giving people things simply out of kindness, or, you know, not implying negative things about people.

Anyways, yes, I think you were very hypocritical, and you probably would have added to the commotion (we'll see) but I do respect your use of Spoilers (so much so that I've done it myself) to avoid involving others.

My point is, people here are disrespectful to each other for no good reason. Ichiro's comment was totally unnecessary and disrespectful. This isn't only about me. I've befriended ShinyDiamond for multiple reasons; he's kind, respectful, and knows he has issues. He tells me he's known to have outbursts because of a personal problem (though if you want to know you should ask him), and I accept him despite it. Sure, he posts here sometimes with no purpose in his posts, and I understand that a lot of people don't treat him with respect. Though I respect him more than I respect most of the people here, because despite this he knows how to treat people with respect.

My opinions could change on anyone. I won't give out any names, but there's people here I straight-up don't like (I'm sure people may PM me to know my opinion of them) simply because they seem rude or unkind in their postings. Though, as said, that could change. People call me sensitive. Well, I am. But that doesn't take any effect in what I post. In fact, in the real world, sensitivity is actually a good thing. I know, shocking. If I annoy people, I do apologize, though everyone seems to do things that annoy me as well. I'm a lot nicer than people see, because everyone jumps straight to rude on me without a chance. People think I'm incapable of being a good GM, to which I look in the eye and say, "Watch me prove you wrong."

What I'm asking is simple:

Please, learn to love and respect each other as equal beings. We all live on this world, together, why can't we act like it? Adjust your opinions, reform your manners, and try to have a great day.

ANYWAYS.

I've tried my best to never mary/gary any of my characters, though I've never seen a test for it. I go by feedback from others to make sure I don't cross any lines with my characters. Personally, I like characters that have more flaws than they have perfections.

And my question:

Is there any specific mindset that you go through when thinking up a new character?

What I mean is, how do you go about the character creation?

And my answer:

I usually have the basic idea of a character down by the time I finish reading the RP descriptions. "Is it a male or female? I think I'll make this character a late-teens male. He'll be sort of a 'bad boy', causing shenanigans for the other characters' grief. He has the power to breath fire from his mouth, but the downside is it will drastically drain his hunger; Blowing flames for about ten seconds and he'll die of starvation. Five seconds and he'll barely be able to stand, dizzy from hunger." Something along those lines.

I go by age and sex, followed by gimmick. The gimmick being what kind of character they are, like a bad boy, a quiet loner, an innocent little girl, or a girl with so much power she becomes completely unstable and tries to avoid everyone for their own good, trying to never use her powers. When she does use her powers, they very often (about 90% chance of failure) just backfire and cause her self-inflicted damage. The gimmick often includes the power, and by then I can pretty much come up with some major downsides to each one.
Old May 29th, 2012 (06:01 PM).
Butcher of the Sands
Crystal Tier

Respect is earned, not given, do not immediately assume you deserve respect. Unless it's to do with Supervegeta since he is amazingly godly and I am irrevocably in love with him. I LOVE YOU SUPERVEGETA!

Quote:
How long does it normally take you to write posts? Why do you think it takes you as long as it does? Do you feel like you post too slowly or too quickly? What could you do to increase the frequency of your posting, theoretically? Got any advice for others on how to handle their posting habits?
Could take anywhere between fifteen minutes and a week. It all depends on my course load from University and how many hours work decides to give me. Also my mood and mindset contribute to it, If I'm not in a good mood, I find it difficult to post. Probably, too slowly more than anything, but for me, life comes first, Roleplaying second, so whatever time I have left I try to devote to writing a post. Really, for me I'm happy with the frequency of my posting, it suits my lifestyle and the roleplays I am in.

Don't spam, don't try and be a mary-sue/stu and just do whatever suits you. If someone expects you to post every hour, and you can only do everyday, the don't exert yourself too much, however if you post too infrequently, then that does become a problem.
Old May 29th, 2012 (06:43 PM).
Ice.

Nature: Hardy
On with the theme of self importance...

I need the opinions of the public on my nations RP. How much stats are too many for the RP? Obviously numbers are going to be essential in order for control, but how much is too much? Right now, the economy is stat- based, and the army is to an extent. Is that too many numbers? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut down on stats in those areas.

Also, update:

The RP is near-ready for release.
Kiklion is helping Co-GM
Custom Map being made
Should be accepting sign-ups in early june. (To believe I started planning in March)
Old May 29th, 2012 (06:49 PM).
Pokemon Professor / RP Mentor
Crystal Tier

Nature: Sassy
I'm just going to... place this here for everyone's benefit.

Quote originally posted by Hiroshi Sotomura:
Everybody is to respect other people on the board. (3 pts / 4 mths)
The PokéCommunity is open to anyone. Do not threaten, harass or insult your fellow members, or launch personal attacks against any of them. Please respect the beliefs of other members. If someone acts uncivil, or harasses/intimidates you, you are not given the excuse to act the same in retaliation. If you disagree with the conduct of other members, please contact a staff member.

-----------------------------

Quote originally posted by Rokusasu:
Has anyone ever taken a Mary-Sue/ Gary-Stu litmus test for a character? (A Sue/Stu is most well-known as a perfect character who is usually beautiful, talented etc. though there are other subtypes, some of which are listed here).
Eh... that thing. I've taken it, yeah.

I guess my immediate reaction to that question is to admit that I feel like these tests and other sources with similar content get /waaaay/ too much credit. Going over them, most of the supposedly negative qualities feel arbitrary and poorly thought out.

It's actually supposed to be a bad thing if your character happens to share your name, and a self-insertee is automatically bad, even if that's the gimmick of a roleplay?

Suspension of disbelief is completely lost on most of these tests as well. Does anyone really care that much about names? Reeaaally, test writer? I've ironically never seen a dude name his character "Ladymag Fightmaster McAwesome", and if I did I'd probably /love/ that character because chances are that character went straight past bad to hilariously satirical.
Old May 29th, 2012 (07:52 PM).
King of the Hell

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]
I'm just going to... place this here for everyone's benefit.
Quote:
Everybody is to respect other people on the board. (3 pts / 4 mths)
The PokéCommunity is open to anyone. Do not threaten, harass or insult your fellow members, or launch personal attacks against any of them. Please respect the beliefs of other members. If someone acts uncivil, or harasses/intimidates you, you are not given the excuse to act the same in retaliation. If you disagree with the conduct of other members, please contact a staff member.

-----------------------------

Thank you.

This is exactly what I meant, and as it turns out it's even part of Roleplayer's Etiquette!

-

So can we please enforce this rule from now on? I feel everyone deserves kindness.

I will correct my own mistakes. As the rule states, "If someone acts uncivil, or harasses/intimidates you, you are not given the excuse to act the same in retaliation." I have disobeyed this part, and will do my best to adjust to the system. Hopefully we can all get along better. I'll do my best to not "retaliate".

On a rather saddening note, Ichiro refuses to get along with me.

Oh well, I tried.
Old May 29th, 2012 (08:19 PM).
Going on a hiatus :'(

Nature: Naive
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to |Equinox|
This is the Roleplay Discussion Thread though, we can settle these things somewhere else! This Thread is for Roleplays, not for discussing about respect (: I'm pretty sure this isn't related to RP ideas in any way so :3

Old May 29th, 2012 (08:22 PM). Edited May 29th, 2012 by Skymin.
part time demon hunter
Crystal Tier

Oh my god guys, really? Really? Is it genuinely so hard to get along?! This is a Roleplay Discussion, not a Roleplay Argument. I am far too busy with finals and end of semester assignments to deal with this, but I have to anyway.

For god's sake, do not bring your problems with eachother here. This is meant to be a nice place to casually discuss roleplaying, not to be at each other's throats. PokeCommunity has always been known to be a friendly forum and when kids step in here to see fights and negative points thrown at each other, they're gonna be rather reluctant about joining.

So here's an easy way to solve these problems without throwing virtual fists.
  1. Take it outside. Discuss it in VMs or PMs if you really wish to try and 'convince' someone to give you respect (though demanding it isn't really a great idea).
  2. Ignore it. It's how normal people live with ignorant and annoying people in real life.
  3. There is a report button for a reason. Looks like they're breaking the rules? Report it. That's what I'm here for, to deal with it with infractions.
Yes, and like Yellow's quote from the official pokecommunity rules thread, retaliating in such a way is not acceptable. Two wrongs are NOT better than a right.

Not to mention its all offtopic. So honestly, shut up, stop your whining and go back to talking about... mary-sues, yes.

Yes thank you.

*sighs and returns to homework*

EDIT: by the way, dont bother responding to this here. no more about this. If you wanna talk about it, VM/PM me.
Old May 29th, 2012 (08:58 PM).
Arrest this man

Dammit you all, stop arguing when I'm offline, I wanted to argue too.

Also Skymin, that is not the proper way to stop a fight. From what I've noticed, Ichiro had already attempted to stop the fight when these words were written -

Quote:
I LOVE YOU SUPERVEGETA!
Yes, all of you, do the same, and voila! Your respect in the RPD will go up by 50 points.
No, really, try it. He craves on your love.

----------------------------------------

How long does it take you to write a post?

IT TAKES ME 3 WEEKS ASK SUPERVEGETA AND RHCP

It takes me about 20-30 minutes to write a decent length post. But for that, I have to be in a great mood, and that's something I'm usually not in these days :B
Old May 29th, 2012 (09:03 PM).
Ice.

Nature: Hardy
Quote originally posted by Underground_Zephyr:
On with the theme of self importance...

I need the opinions of the public on my nations RP. How much stats are too many for the RP? Obviously numbers are going to be essential in order for control, but how much is too much? Right now, the economy is stat- based, and the army is to an extent. Is that too many numbers? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut down on stats in those areas.

Also, update:

The RP is near-ready for release.
Kiklion is helping Co-GM
Custom Map being made
Should be accepting sign-ups in early june. (To believe I started planning in March)
I'm just going to put this here, get some discussion flowing. ( Not trying to be spammy, but that is how it goes.

On the topic of Gary-Stus, for kicks im gonna have to name a character that for a RP.
Old May 29th, 2012 (09:48 PM).
Proto (Not the *****)

Nature: Naughty
*Grumble* *cough* lets discuss roleplaying for once *cough*

@Underground_Zephyr: I believe some stats are okay, as long as they are simple, well-explained and don't dominate the RP.

About Gary stu's, I haven't taken any tests, but I check my SU's for Gary Stuness.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links