The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner

Notices

Roleplay Corner The realm where writers gather to create glorious tales or silly drama together and chronicle their adventures. Start or join roleplays featuring Pokémon, other franchises or something completely original!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 12th, 2012 (09:29 PM).
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Sorry to break the flow and stuff, but I've always wanted to get into RP but it's always been hard :c

What do you guys suggest a great starting point be?

And...

Q: What is your ideal amount of players in an RP?

From a literature point of view, there can be as many as you want, as long as 1) you can make sure that everyone gets equal exposure (provided that they're all main characters) and 2) there's a reason for them to be there, a good reason. Not just "oh he's a transfer student".

Usually that means around 5-10 people. Too few and it starts to become a monologue, and too many means it's just crazy to follow.

Of course, if you (the RPers) are skilled enough as a group, you can keep the flow going with any amount of people, high or low.

sry imma noob :c

Old July 12th, 2012 (10:01 PM).
NV
Dracon Leader

Location: In my own little world, taking potshots at your little world.
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Sorry to break the flow and stuff, but I've always wanted to get into RP but it's always been hard :c

What do you guys suggest a great starting point be?

And...

Q: What is your ideal amount of players in an RP?

From a literature point of view, there can be as many as you want, as long as 1) you can make sure that everyone gets equal exposure (provided that they're all main characters) and 2) there's a reason for them to be there, a good reason. Not just "oh he's a transfer student".

Usually that means around 5-10 people. Too few and it starts to become a monologue, and too many means it's just crazy to follow.

Of course, if you (the RPers) are skilled enough as a group, you can keep the flow going with any amount of people, high or low.

sry imma noob :c
I formally invite you to join mine,
I work on a person to person level so I'll be there to help you out along the way. Since my RP doesn't require much experience (Just playing some of the pokemon games will be enough to understand) and the forms are really loose allowing a lot of leeway I don't think you'll have much touble.

PM me for info about this project.

Old July 13th, 2012 (02:44 AM). Edited July 13th, 2012 by Adventure.
Adventure

Nature: Naive
Hello. A much needed break from PC might be over now... I kind of needed a restart, hope nobody bears hard feelings.

Since I read Homestuck and became a total nerd on that, my ever-itching GM fingers have been dying to create RP inspired by it... I think I've figured out a way to do a Homestuck-like RP without too much complications. Would anyone be interested?

@droomph, a pokémon RP is usually an easy place to start, since you probably know a lot about pokémon. But really, pick a RP that you feel like you really want to play and hope that there's a spot open (or ask the GM personally if there is), rather than joining the first RP you come across that has open spots.

to think you were once a stranger
and every day with you an adventure

Old July 13th, 2012 (05:56 AM).
Skymin
the gratitude pokémon

:') I'm very much glad to see you back in business, Red. I look forward to roleplaying with you again!!! *tears of happies*
Old July 13th, 2012 (06:09 AM). Edited July 13th, 2012 by Lt. Col. Fantastic.
Lt. Col. Fantastic
The Arianator

Nature: Sassy
Isn't Red a superhero around here?

Anyways, Hello Red! I'm Lt. Col. Fantastic, but if that is too long and complicated to write, you could just call me Evan!

Pleased to meet you.

And I've never read Homestuck, but I would be interested in an RP if it can be pleyed without reading it.

Mr. Aladdin sir! Have a wish or two or three!
Old July 13th, 2012 (06:36 AM).
Axeliira
the sugar plum fairy

Nature: Brave
DROOMPH. WELCOME TO THIS AMAZING WORLD THAT IS THE ROLEPLAY CORNER.

There's a ton of RPs for you to join. To start, I recommend you The Pokemon Trainer Academy (lots of spots just opened!), and there's also my own roleplay which is half-full right now (The Pokemon Hunger Games). PTA is newbie friendly and you'll pretty much get your feet wet in roleplaying in nooo time! :)

Welcome back, Rika! <3
Everyone would have a friend,
& right would always win,
& love would never end.
This is my grown-up Christmas list.
Moderator of FC&G ~ Paired to Buoysel & Kanzler
slight leave of absence 12/23 - 12/28 ~ Merry Christmas!

Old July 13th, 2012 (06:40 AM).
Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymin View Post
:') I'm very much glad to see you back in business, Red. I look forward to roleplaying with you again!!! *tears of happies*
:'D Thank you Moddy!! <3 I skyped you but you were probably working or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Col. Fantastic View Post
Isn't Red a superhero around here?

Anyways, Hello Red! I'm Lt. Col. Fantastic, but if that is too long and complicated to write, you could just call me Evan!

Pleased to meet you.

And I've never read Homestuck, but I would be interested in an RP if it can be pleyed without reading it.
Oh my, I don't know about superhero ^^' *FLEXES LIKE IRON MAN* but hi Evan, pleased to meet you too. And sure, I'll make it basic enough for someone who hasn't read it to be able to join. Working on the backstory and the workings of the universe now... yes, you heard me. Deep stuff, this will be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganium90 View Post
Welcome back, Rika! <3
Thanks Megan ~<3 I see you've been growing into a fine RPer!

Old July 13th, 2012 (07:26 AM).
Lincoln West
Drowzee

Nature: Relaxed
Welcome back Red. Sometimes you just need to take a break from something you enjoy, so that when you come back to it you can enjoy it again. If that makes sense.

@droomph I'd also recommend Pokemon Trainer Academy as a good place to start. It's very freeform, so it's pretty difficult to do anything 'wrong' per say, and it gives you a chance to interact with quite a wide range of RP'ers here on the forum. Making friends and collaborating with people you work well with is the best start I can imagine.

Jackson (Male Shieldon) Lvl 24: Toxic, Sandstorm, Protect, Iron Head, Stealth Rock, Dig
Ability: Sturdy

Bixi (Female Tirtouga) Lvl 24: Crunch, Aqua Tail, Sandstorm, Ice Beam, Stone Edge, Iron Defense
Ability: Solid Rock

Siege (Male Geodude) Lvl 22: Defense Curl, Attract, Rock Polish, Rock Throw, Magnitude, Roll Out
Ability: Rock Head
Old July 13th, 2012 (09:34 AM).
ShinyDiamond
«Dual Wield» User
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
:\ Red seems to be getting a lot of welcomes around here. Someday I want to be a hero like Red. Oh, & since Iron Man is my favorite... *flies around in the suit* Hope I can stay on for a long time!

While I'm alive, I won't let any party members die.

Paired for life with Rose Quartz
~Dia+PS~
Old July 13th, 2012 (02:23 PM).
Greiger
A mad mind... hehe

Nature: Serious
*Hugs Red tightly* Red! You're back! Awesome! Missed you my friend!
Old July 13th, 2012 (03:35 PM).
NV
Dracon Leader

Does anyone have advice on how I could make my RP more appealing?

Old July 13th, 2012 (03:39 PM).
Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greiger View Post
*Hugs Red tightly* Red! You're back! Awesome! Missed you my friend!
:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV View Post
Does anyone have advice on how I could make my RP more appealing?
Css, carefully selected fonts and very carefully used colors can make the first post of an RP look better. If it's the content and the RP itself that you mean though, structuring the first post well and making sure everything that needs to be there is there and that tons of unnecessary stuff is not there is a good idea.

Note that I don't know which RP you mean now, I'm giving general advice :3

Old July 13th, 2012 (03:46 PM).
NV
Dracon Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post

:3

Css, carefully selected fonts and very carefully used colors can make the first post of an RP look better. If it's the content and the RP itself that you mean though, structuring the first post well and making sure everything that needs to be there is there and that tons of unnecessary stuff is not there is a good idea.

Note that I don't know which RP you mean now, I'm giving general advice :3
There's a link to it in my signature.

Old July 13th, 2012 (03:59 PM).
Fort PokePower
Muffins forever

Figured I may as well post the main idea of my upcoming dragon RP now, just to see who's actually interested...

Spoiler:
Story
Centuries ago, a powerful sorcerer discovered a spell that would allow him to steal the magic of all the humans in Fargona. Once he had collected the necessary items, he enacted his plan, draining everyone of their magical abilities, including the magic necessary for dragon tamers, whom had once been common, to form a bond with their dragon. To prevent him from fully taking over Fargona, the most powerful dragons in all the land used their magic to seal him away in another realm while he was still recovering from using the spell. These dragons then mysteriously disappeared and were never seen in Fargona again.

Plot
After all these years, magic is slowly starting to return to Fargona. Sorcerers, though not as strong as the ones from the past, are once again becoming common throughout the land. There have also been stories of dragon tamers, though there is no proof that these rumors are true. The return of magic to the land has brought both joy and fear. There are those who believe that magic belongs in Fargona, while others are afraid of what the new sorcerers will do with their power. The dragons have also become restless, though no one is able to understand why.

During this time, dragons have also been disappearing. There have been reports of dragons, trained and wild alike, being seen in trance like states the day before they simply vanish without a trace. There have also been cases of sorcerers - many of whom are still learning about their magic - turning up dead with no sign as to how they died. Due to these incidents happening more and more often, the king has sent out his army to find the fabled dragon tamers in the hopes that they might be able to help save both magic and dragons from extinction.

That's not even half the details of the RP. I still have to write up all the descriptions for the dragons, as well as a description of the land of Fargona itself. It will probably be my most thought out RP... And I'd hate to disappoint the person who's been helping me come up with quite a few of the ideas~

Roleplays I am in:
Sekirei: Wings of Fate (OOC/IC) as Fia and Akira Takako
Pokemon Odyssey: Search For Cresselia (OOC/IC) as Kaveri "Jetstream" Vian
One Piece: The Golden Age (OOC/IC) as Anahita Z. Firenze

Roleplays I GM:
Fargona: The Land of Dragons (OOC/IC) - Participating as Thia Rondamar
Old July 13th, 2012 (04:04 PM).
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...

Nature: Lonely
Holy Shieldon, Zubat! Red, your avatar seems awfully... Blue.

AAAAAANYWAYS...

Erm... Yeah.

Anyways, you may call me Akio, considering most of you might not be able to read Japanese.

SINCE I'M ON THAT SUBJECT:

Is this username an issue for anyone? I considered making a profile with a name in English, so it would be easier for everyone else, either trying to call me by name, or locate me on the site.

If there's no problems, I can just keep this one. Anyone have some input on this issue? I had been thinking about it recently and figured I might as well ask, so that I can fix any problems.

Old July 13th, 2012 (04:26 PM).
Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV View Post
There's a link to it in my signature.
I checked it out now and I still give the same advice :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 徳清アキオ View Post
Holy Shieldon, Zubat! Red, your avatar seems awfully... Blue....

AAAAAANYWAYS...

username derp
Sure, it might be difficult for people who don't know who you are, but you do as you like. You're not the only one with a username with strange symbols.

Old July 13th, 2012 (04:27 PM).
machomuu
Master Spark is Comin' to Town
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:

Is this username an issue for anyone? I considered making a profile with a name in English, so it would be easier for everyone else, either trying to call me by name, or locate me on the site.

If there's no problems, I can just keep this one. Anyone have some input on this issue? I had been thinking about it recently and figured I might as well ask, so that I can fix any problems.
It's not really an issue, but it does make referring to you a little difficult (for me, at least). Should we/I just call you Akio?
Old July 13th, 2012 (04:37 PM).
ShinyDiamond
«Dual Wield» User
Community Supporter

@Akio-kun: I'm cool with the name! So long as I can understand it, it's cool the way it looks. Akio is actually a name in Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune, the main character's name.

~Dia+PS~
Old July 13th, 2012 (05:01 PM).
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Japanese? Well I'd be a lot more annoyed if you had written that in Korean :P Some people can't read Japanese though, so calling you Akio (or Tokushi) would have been a lot less annoying. Besides, my computer can only render the Tokushi part correctly, because it's running on exclusively Chinese and English rn. :c But anyways. It's fine I guess, though I won't be able to locate you if I'm on anything but my Mac/iPod.

Ah, Pokemon Trainer Academy. I'll look into it whenever I decide to function as a human being again c: thanks, guys!

Old July 13th, 2012 (05:48 PM).
Dusk
Fighting to Renew my Past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
Japanese? Well I'd be a lot more annoyed if you had written that in Korean :P Some people can't read Japanese though, so calling you Akio (or Tokushi) would have been a lot less annoying. Besides, my computer can only render the Tokushi part correctly, because it's running on exclusively Chinese and English rn. :c But anyways. It's fine I guess, though I won't be able to locate you if I'm on anything but my Mac/iPod.
What would annoy you about Korean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyDiamond View Post
@Akio-kun: I'm cool with the name! So long as I can understand it, it's cool the way it looks. Akio is actually a name in Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune, the main character's name.
I've never heard of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
It's not really an issue, but it does make referring to you a little difficult (for me, at least). Should we/I just call you Akio?
Akio is fine (name suffixes are optional).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers View Post

Sure, it might be difficult for people who don't know who you are, but you do as you like. You're not the only one with a username with strange symbols.
I suppose so. I did add to the "Nickname" section under my settings, so if you hover over the Japanese text it will actually show the Romaji.

Old July 13th, 2012 (06:38 PM). Edited July 13th, 2012 by Lt. Col. Fantastic.
Lt. Col. Fantastic
The Arianator

Akio-san, if anyone had trouble with your name, they could just ask how to say it!

I thinks its fine how it is, and it seems most people know you anyway. Its also a really easy way to pick you out in a forum. Even though I can't read it, I know the shapes mean you. If that makes sense.

Old July 13th, 2012 (07:38 PM).
Vato
This Is Our Last Goodbye

Duuudes, feels weird to post in the same thread you are!
It's like you're all heroes, and I'm nothing but a pesky news reporter
I just has a bit of a question, my thanks in advance for whoever's kind enough to give an answer.

Here it is:

*Drums*
If you already have a Role-Play (or, better said, if you're the Game Master), and you didn't sing-up for your RP... can you still do so if it hasn't started?

I'm asking this because I kinda only wanted to be the GM at first... but I think it wouldn't be as fun if I can't enjoy the RP to its fullest.

And if you were asking, the RP is called Time & Space, it has been accepted quite recently, so naturally it has no sign-ups... yet. Hopefully it'll have some.

FC [B2]: 0992 1015 0443
VM/PM me whenever you feel like trading/kicking my butt on a battle
Old July 13th, 2012 (07:54 PM).
Skymin
the gratitude pokémon

Quote:

I still refer to you as Zerin so... Go figure. Plus everyone knows Ichiro as Ichiro so it's not that confusing to remember.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vato View Post
It's like you're all heroes, and I'm nothing but a pesky news reporter :P
I just has a bit of a question, my thanks in advance for whoever's kind enough to give an answer.

Here it is:

*Drums*
If you already have a Role-Play (or, better said, if you're the Game Master), and you didn't sing-up for your RP... can you still do so if it hasn't started?

I'm asking this because I kinda only wanted to be the GM at first... but I think it wouldn't be as fun if I can't enjoy the RP to its fullest.

And if you were asking, the RP is called Time & Space, it has been accepted quite recently, so naturally it has no sign-ups... yet. Hopefully it'll have some.
You are GM so you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want (within reason :P)
Old July 13th, 2012 (07:57 PM).
Lt. Col. Fantastic
The Arianator

I'd assume yes, because I think I saw a few other GMs as characters in their own rps.

BUUUT, I am not an authority here, so someone in charge will have to tell you for sure.

And I'm not a hero, just the plucky comic relief. You know, the guy thats always around when the hero is, and nobody notices his actions because the hero overshadows him, only to get a respectful "greetings, citizen!" before the hero flies off, becoming the center of attention. Of course, in that precise moment, I would freeze up and have nothing to say, and people would ignore me once again...

Okay, that is the 3rd time I've been ninja'd today. Man, I'm in slow motion or something.

Old July 13th, 2012 (07:59 PM).
ShinyDiamond
«Dual Wield» User
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vato View Post
It's like you're all heroes, and I'm nothing but a pesky news reporter

Here it is:

*Drums*

It is my understanding that you can sign-up for your RP at anytime you wish. You can also do your SU even after your RP starts. Basically, you can do your SU whenever you want, or like control NPCs only if that's what you want to do, or both. Not much, but I hope I helped!

~Dia+PS~
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links