Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Theatre > Roleplay Stage
Reload this Page Roleplay Discussion Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Roleplay Stage This is where the In-Character roleplaying happens. Before you create a thread here, recruit some players in Roleplay Casting. Your very own legend is about to unfold! A world of dreams and adventures awaits! Let's go!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old September 18th, 2012 (02:29 PM).
part time demon hunter
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Yeah, Pandora hasn't really been getting anywhere very lately. That being said, I've been hardly active, working on university stuff.

Do you tend to rp as character that are the same as your own gender? Or do you tend to play the opposite?
I like to mix it up. Boys are a lot more fun because a lot of boys never like to show their true emotions in front of people, which adds extra dramamama. And girls show emotion a lot so dramamamammamamasldkmakdmsakjdaks
Old September 18th, 2012 (06:17 PM).
The Arianator

Nature: Sassy
On the subject of genders...

I usually tend to play males, as I find them easier to get into. Occasionally I will play girls if I'm feeling extra feminine that day.

Mr. Aladdin sir! Have a wish or two or three!
Old September 18th, 2012 (08:29 PM).
King of the Hell

Quote originally posted by Lt. Col. Fantastic:
Occasionally I will play girls if I'm feeling extra feminine that day.
... Prepare to have your sexuality questioned. KIDDINGSHOT

__

I have created probably an equal number of male and female characters. I do my best to be diverse and I feel proud if I can create believable characters in either sex.
Old September 19th, 2012 (04:13 AM).
I was born for this x
CS

Nature: Naive
I honestly don't know if I'm actually good or bad when I play as male characters :p But most of the time I actually think it's more fun playing as a male. I've played as both countless times now and perhaps I have a history of a slightly higher number of male than female characters, but that might just be because I think more of my male characters are memorable and unique, than my female ones.

If you couldn't guess my gender from that, have some coffee and try again.

moderator:
x Roleplay Theatre

roleplays:
x Crossroads
x Digimon
x Titans
Old September 19th, 2012 (08:04 AM).
King of the Hell

Quote originally posted by Red's Hawt Chibi Pelippers:
I honestly don't know if I'm actually good or bad when I play as male characters :p But most of the time I actually think it's more fun playing as a male. I've played as both countless times now and perhaps I have a history of a slightly higher number of male than female characters, but that might just be because I think more of my male characters are memorable and unique, than my female ones.

If you couldn't guess my gender from that, have some coffee and try again.
Shhh, Red's, don't tell anyone!
Old September 19th, 2012 (12:06 PM).
Inebriated Baby

Nature: Naughty
Have you guys seen NBC's new drama Revolution? If not, don't worry, you're not missing out…

Anyway, despite the fact that I didn't like the show's pilot itself, I did find the show's premise to be pretty interesting (in a "this doesn't make any sense" kind of way).

The series is set in a post-apocalyptic world caused by the sudden malfunctioning of anything that uses electricity, and despite the fact that that is not believable to any degree, I figure that it could happen in the Pokémon world. This brings us to the concept I've been fiddling around with for a while: Pokémon Revolution: Divine Punishment

The plot of the RP would basically be:
  1. Arceus is pissed so he obtains the Electric plate to make man-made electrical appliances malfunction (including your Poké Balls)
  2. This causes the downfall of society (same as in the series)
  3. Wild Pokémon (still as aggresive as always) begin to 'reclaim' the world at the expense of human lives
  4. Militias and other groups rise up to take control of the new world, while trainers and researchers are left to wallow that everything they once knew is gone…
  5. Except for you, who've set out to find a 'cure' for this sickness of the land
So, would people be interested in a RP like this?

And if so, where should it take place (region-wise). I'm leaning towards Kanto-Johto, although an isolated region like Unova might make sense.

---

As for the gender question:
I feel a lot more comfortable RPing as a male. I've RPed as girls with pretty good success (apparently). I just don't really get girls I guess, so I can't really convince myself that I do a believable job at it… (sad but true).
Old September 19th, 2012 (12:48 PM).
Grant me the power of revolution!
Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
Yeah, I'd be interested. From the start, the premise for the show sounded like a great idea for a movie or a game, and an RP of the idea would be nice. Having said that, I could also see it being a non-pokemon RP, there are logical ways that electronics could malfunction.
Old September 19th, 2012 (12:53 PM).
Inebriated Baby

Quote originally posted by machomuu:
Yeah, I'd be interested. From the start, the premise for the show sounded like a great idea for a movie or a game, and an RP of the idea would be nice. Having said that, I could also see it being a non-pokemon RP, there are logical ways that electronics could malfunction.
I agree. A large enough electro magnetic wave could basically make it happen. What doesn't make sense about the show (in my opinion) is that they can never build another damn battery. Or a solar panel. Or a freaking watermill. But yeah, that's not really the point, I'm glad you'd be interested.
Old September 19th, 2012 (06:24 PM).
Pokemon Professor / RP Mentor
Crystal Tier

@Drunk: I can't say I've ever been interested in Pokemon vs Humans. I couldn't help but immediately compare it to Pokemon Fallout, my own RP.

In Pokemon Fallout, after N's defeat in the end of Black and White, a group of scientists continue to pursue the goals of separating humans and pokemon under the guise of trying to understand the bond between humans and pokemon. They eventually create a memetic virus that breaks that bond, causing Pokemon to become disinterested and uncooperative with humans. Humans are unable to force Pokemon to do their will, since that's a physically daunting task in and of itself.

...So society starts collapsing right off the bat and Arceus eventually realizes that humanity kinda broke life and removes Pokemon altogether. Humanity dwindles into the dust over approximately 100 years, until Arceus finally shows mercy by attempting to bring Pokemon back. However, he can't bring them back in their previous form because the virus, which is as previously mentioned memetic, is still there. So he brings them back as 'spirits' that can fuse with chosen humans, resulting in a human that wields the power of a pokemon and some appearance modification to fit it. (Think, Pokemon Gijinkas, or Pokemon ReBurst.)

(Full plot below)
Spoiler:
When Ghetsis was defeated atop N's castle most people had assumed N's dream had not only been doomed never to see the light of day, but abandoned by N himself. Team Plasma was a broken shell of its former self, its members in hiding or prison and it's sages having more or less accepted their failure. Team Plasma never recovered, and so the crisis was thought to have passed.

...However, what nobody had seen coming was that N's dream lived on not through N, nor Team Plasma, nor even Ghetsis, but through their admirers. A group of radicals operating low-key as scientists pursued to succeed where N had failed through their own, far less innocent methods. They sought to engineer something that could break the mysterious bond between man and pokemon under the guise of trying to understand it; and so they did.

First, they created a formula that could break the bond, and through further study they were able to initiate a kind of biological warfare unlike anything anyone had ever seen before. A virus was released which could infect and attack pokemon, removing their ability to develop or maintain bonds with their trainers or others in general.

The worst had yet to come however. From atop his celestial perch Arceus was not unaware of this act against... well... itself! From the dawn of the pokemon they had been meant to be companions to humans. Who dared commit such a crime? Arceus looked out and saw that the world had become uninhabitable for pokemon to live without losing their gift and was enraged. Just like that, he took back the gift of pokemon entirely. Pokemon rapidly began vanishing off te face of the earth, their spirits being recalled to a place not even the virus could reach them.

...And what of the humans? Humanity was alright, for a short time. There was great panic and with good cause however as humanity became intimately aware of how much it had depended on pokemon. Everything from the police, to rescue teams, to hospitals, to farmers, /everything/ had depended on pokemon to some degree. Without pokemon, some of these things were made impossible or obscenely difficult compared to before.

Crime ran rampant. Without pokemon there was no meat, and the produce supplies were quickly diminished. Humanity as a whole quickly devolved into chaos as people were forced against a rock and a hard place. In the end, humanity itself was nearly wiped put, though as the population declined it became easier for individuals to survive. Unspeakable horrors were committed in the name of life or death and a new era of depravity was formed. Children were the target of much hate, as well as those whom had them, humans beginning to looking at them as no more than extra mouthes to feed. Humanity eventually managed to stabilize itself, however. It was broken, but not down and out. Not even the scientists who had caused the catastrophe had been immune to the consequences, as they had no idea how dire said consequences would be.

It was not truly the apocalypse, however. Some of humanity stood strong to their morals even as demise was upon them. Though they were often crushed under the boot of the horde their stands did not go unseen. Arceus eventually found it in itself to seek a remedy to the situation, to spare a shred of mercy. Using its awesome power, Arceus restored the pokemon in a new form, that of which not even the virus could hope to corrupt. A quake of unimaginable power shook Mt. Coronet and tore it asunder. Yet, from the gaping wound in the earth erupted a giant crystal formation. The crystal shimmered with divine power and from it the spirits of the pokemon returned. From then on, children from the ages of 10 to 13 would feel drawn to the site, wherein the spirit of a pokemon would choose them and fuse with them, giving the child the ability to take on some of the features of that pokemon and access to that pokemon's powers.

In addition, a large stone tablet rose with the formation, upon which was carved the words "BRING YOURSELVES TO JUSTICE" in plain English as well as several commandments in a language that only pokemon spirits can read.

The commandments read as followed, and pokemon spirits are not only allowed but encouraged to tell their human host:

"The world has been broken, and it is humanity's fault."
"It is up to you to bring justice to yourselves and the world."
"You must guide yourself, however..."
"These are the laws of Arceus!"
•"Let yourself be washed of your moral preconceptions. From the first time you've read these commandments, let them be your only laws. Then and only then allow yourselves to rediscover what you believe is right or wrong."
•"You shall not harm the spirit of the pokemon, lest divine retribution strike."
•"You shall be in possession of no more than six pokemon spirits at any one time, lest your spirit become suppressed."
•"If you take the spirit of the pokemon from another you must take it for your own, lest it turn on you."
•"You shall not harm children under the age of fourteen that have not yet received their pokemon spirit."

It's now up to these children to change the world for better or worse. What will you fight for, and ultimately what will become of humanity and the world they live in?

Anyway. My question to you is, exactly how are humans supposed to remotely protect themselves against any of a zillion super creatures known for such feats as being able to generate volcanic eruptions wherever they please, wield the full spectrum of psychic powers, effortlessly ravage solid steel with their fists, generate black holes, and in turn take that same abuse used against themselves with grace?
Old September 19th, 2012 (07:51 PM). Edited September 19th, 2012 by Greiger.
A mad mind... hehe

Nature: Serious
Well I mostly play male characters simply because I know how a guy thinks.

Anyway, to the more important thing... IT'S TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY!!!! WHY HAS NO ONE TALKED LIKE A PIRATE YET!?

ARGH MATEYS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEBbu-wkKrs
Old September 19th, 2012 (08:38 PM).
This armor... I hate it

On the subject of Humans vs Pokemon the only way for humans to stand a chance would be technology... Take away technology and humans will get rofl stomped.

The revolution idea I think is interesting but how would humanity survive?

Personally I've been interested in the trainer/pokemon relationship. The fact that if you look at Pokemon with a more realistic view Pokemon trainers are cruel and sadistic monsters who force animals to fight for their amusement. Then you add in Pokemon (well at least in the cartoon) that make pokemon also intelligent (to almost a human level) it really begins to question morality of it. Could the whole Pokemon happy while only being allowed outside their ball to fight be a lie? Or perhaps that ball has some special properties (drugs) that alters the mind to promote an extreme case of Stockholm syndrome.

I almost made a RP around this idea once... Just didn't think it would stick and never got around to writing up a full story or story plan. There was more to it than just that... In the end I thought it didnt seem right for this forum... I think it would be interesting but i might be the only one.
Old September 19th, 2012 (09:18 PM).
«Dual Wield» User
Crystal Tier

Nature: Bashful
So nobody's interested in my Kid Icarus RP? I need supporters to encourage me to make it. Otherwise, no RP. Besides, I'm really excited about it. Kid Icarus is my favorite.

While I'm alive, I won't let any party members die.

Paired for life with Rose Quartz
~Dia+PS~
Old September 19th, 2012 (10:54 PM). Edited September 19th, 2012 by drunk ¬_¬.
Inebriated Baby

Quote originally posted by Stingray:
On the subject of Humans vs Pokemon the only way for humans to stand a chance would be technology... Take away technology and humans will get rofl stomped.

The revolution idea I think is interesting but how would humanity survive?
Electricity ≠ Technology

I am not taking away technology, only electricity (and Poké Balls, I'm not sure if they actually use electricity, but they seem like they do).

And you're right, humanity will not hold the upper hand against Pokémon, they will almost always get roflstomped when trying to fight a Pokémon one-on-one (even with weapons), and they'll be reduced to finding shelter in small, fortified villages while the braver ones go get killed in the name of ridding the world of Pokémon for safety's sake.

However, Pokémon will be severely nerfed by their lost link to humans. No longer able to be trained, Pokémon will only fully evolve on very special cases, so it's not like you'll be stepping out of a village to find a freaking Charizard waiting to eat you.

Also, numbers. There may be more Pokémon nowadays than humans, but the fact remains that humans are able to unite for a common goal in far greater numbers than wild Pokémon. Thus, the armies marching to your village's doorstep asking for rations and volunteers since they're out trying to "help" your sorry ass.

Also, guns and harpoons and bows and crossbows and ****. If you're really ballsy, go for a naginata too (actually, no, don't do it, you'll get roflstomped in close-quarters by anything that isn't Psychic… probably)

EDIT:
Quote originally posted by ShinyDiamond:
So nobody's interested in my Kid Icarus RP? I need supporters to encourage me to make it. Otherwise, no RP. Besides, I'm really excited about it. Kid Icarus is my favorite.
Dude, if you want to make a Kid Icarus RP, go for it. Personally, I don't even know what that is, but if you're really into it, then why not?

Most people here are interested in Pokémon-related RPs, but ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE is interested in a GOOD RP with an interested and pumped-up GM, so if you like your idea, just do it.
Old September 20th, 2012 (08:55 AM).
King of the Hell

Quote originally posted by Greiger:
Well I mostly play male characters simply because I know how a guy thinks. :P

Anyway, to the more important thing... IT'S TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY!!!! WHY HAS NO ONE TALKED LIKE A PIRATE YET!?

ARGH MATEYS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEBbu-wkKrs
I am a ninja, and I took offense to that.
Old September 20th, 2012 (04:51 PM). Edited September 20th, 2012 by Miss Doronjo.
Gaiden

Nature: Quirky
Okay, this is far from finished, but I want to give you guys a brief overview of what.. I've come up with for the SAO RP:

Spoiler:

A Roleplay based off the Anime, Sword Art Online, Rated T. This is the SU +OOC thread. The IC thread shall be made soon.

It's been in the news for months now...
...and as been hyped for so long.

The year is now 2050. You're a person who is a huge fan of the Arugus software company and the products they have created - the most popular of creations, includes the Nerve Gear, a virtual reality helmet that allows you to view a virtual world as if it feels like reality. The creator of Arugus, Kayaba Akihiko, was also a man who you admired for a while now - but who wouldn't? The man was a genius; his skills and creativity was unmatched by anyone in the world. One day, the media exploded when the latest news came in: Argus had created its first ever VRMMORPG for it's Nerve Gear Virtual Reality Helmet, Sword Art Online, produced by Kayaba Akihiko. 10,000 lucky people were fortunate enough to beta-test the game first, while only a VERY lucky 1000 people tested the game from it's development stage. Soon, the market exploded with demands as the Sword Art Online game was finally released in stores in June 20, 2050. Even though about 1.5 million copies were sold world wide, they were all sold out within one month.

When the game was finally played, it was even better than how it was seen in game trailers. As you put on the game helmet, your brain feels unconscious, as soon enough, it appears that you've been warped to another world. From there, you decided to sign up, and create a screen name, as well as a custom avatar that you'll be in the game. The avatar can have a great range of appearances, which with reasons of your own, you create a avatar that you'll feel pleased with. After the sign-up as been completed, the game can finally be played. You select 'start' from the game menu, as you teleport to a strange destination...

「 In the GAME 」

A huge castle made of stone and steel floating in an endless sky.
That was all this world was.

As you finally regain your composure, you'll see that the world that you're in now is far different from the real world. You'll notice that you are standing outdoors with a route lined with tall grass and trees in front of you and a small town behind you. It felt kind of weird at first - you don't seem to be wearing a helmet anymore, and the wind in this area... you can feel it, even though you remember being in your bedroom, or anywhere else indoors. Soon enough, you realize that you have your avatar's appearance, and thus, in the actual game.

You find a sheath on your personage - and in that sheath, is a sleek and smooth sword. Now THIS was exciting - you get to actually use a sword! But for what? That was obvious; to slay monsters. A couple of your first steps in the game, you'll soon reach the town nearby, as a sign appears in the sky that reads: «Beginners Town». This was a nice town; it's filled with markets: weaponry, food, clothing, etc., etc.. and it even has a few hotels to stay in for nights! Everything about this game was awesome, as promised!

That was until, you saw that you've gotten a notification. Opening the menu to answer it was a cinch - all you had to do was call 'MENU' and it will pop up, revealing your profile, your level, your items, and so on. Soon, you see the message left to you - it was anonymous. Answering it, the letter reads: Logout Button missing is not a glitch. Come to think of it - where was the logout button? You don't see it anywhere on the menu... even calling 'alt ctrl delete' didn't help. Soon, you get another notification: 'The only way to escape... is to win the game.' You look around you towards the other players, and from the surprised and scared expressions on their faces, they seem to have the same notification. It didn't end there: Beware: if you die here, you die in real life. As if the panic of the players weren't bad enough.. some of them tried to escape through the player escape warp point, the only other exit from the game other than the logout button, but, they've failed. Soon, they were all stopped by an ominous voice:

Welcome players, to Sword Art Online.

「 Sword Art Online - Terms and Mechanics 」

Like every MMO Game, Sword Art Online has it's own play-style, terms, as well as rules that you'll eventually have to be accustomed to. However, this list will show you all (or at leas the majority of them) if you're unclear.

The Level System

The game operates similar to most MMORPGs with a level system. If your new to the game, you'll start out in level 1, as with a few players who have already played the beta game will probably be in a higher level.
  • How to gain levels?

The main way to level up in this game is to defeat various monsters. For each monster you defeat, you gain experience. If you have enough experience, you'll gain a level. In this case, the quality of your post (meaning how the monster fight went) will reflect your experience. When you do level up, I'll make a post stating that. It'll go something like this:

Congratulations, Umane gained a level!
9 » 10

Skills

Skills come in all shapes and sizes, but with some restrictions. As a character in the game, you'll have your own chosen skills, which you can choose a few of them in a list, like this:

One Handed Straight Sword - 1
Hand to Hand Combat - 1
Hearing - 1
Forging - 1
Cooking - 1
Tracking - 1

«Sword Skills» are programmed movements assisted by the system after a player performs the initial movement in Sword Art Online. These skills fall into four properties: Thrust, Slash, Pierce and Blunt also beginner ability: Final Thrust. (or in this RP's case, all you need to do is simply 'roleplay' the move to perform a skill.) When you level up with the sword your wielding after you've defeated a monster with it, there is a chance that you'll learn new weapon skills. There are also weapon skills (the skills infused with certain weapons). If you perform a skill within a weapon frequently, you'll gain that skill, along with your basic weapon skills.

Of course, there are way more skills than weapons - for example, cooking. The more skilled you are in cooking, the more exotic food you can cook with a higher success rate. And of course, the more you cook, the more skill points you'll have in cooking.

All in all, the more you do something that relates to our skill, the more skill points you'll have in that skill. After each level, you'll gain a 'skill point' where you can use each skill point you have, to level up a skill you possess, including sword skills. (Which you can keep track and manage them all here, in the OOC thread.)

Finally, there are hidden skills you can acquire, but of course, that's a secret. (;

Items & Equipment

Your equipment is basically the stuff you use to do battle. Your sword is one of them of course; and you can also wear certain clothing that increases your battle armor, or attack damage. (however, attack damage and clothing won't matter in this RP.)

Items are another thing; they can do just about anything, depending on the descriptions of an item and what it can do. For example, you can have items that can replenish health (well, health won't matter in this RP, but... you can get creative on that.) You can also have food to eat too; it can also help replenish your fatigue.

There are various weapons other than your basic sword, of course. There are swords that can do a lot of damage, or give you a lot of speed, and so on. Forging is a great skill that you can have to give you great weapons, and armor.

Item Drops are another thing. There is a chance that when you defeat a monster, you'll get a item that it 'drops' when you've defeated it. The same goes with boss monsters.

「 Roleplay Mechanics 」

This Roleplay is freelance, meaning you are free to make your own adventures throughout this game, with other players. However, there will be a few twists and turns along the way; as well as a 'set objective' that you'll eventually need to do. Most of the time, it'll be defeating bosses, and clearing dungeon floors.

Um, I'm not 100% sure if I should stick with the statistics here, buuut, they seem to fit with this style of the RP, so, I'm trying to go for a casual, as well as somewhat statistical RP here.

Well, any tips / advice will be appreciated before it's finished~!

Hawthorne Guardian
Moderator of Video Games
Paired to: Perdition Haze

Pokémon:PhoenixRising
Sylvie
Old September 20th, 2012 (05:20 PM).
Crystal Tier

@Stingray: Pretty sure even Lex Luther was a tad bit of a joke against Superman without his kryptonite. (And I know some Pokemon that would definitely beat Superman in a one-on-one. Gardevoir comes to mind.) Also, the notion that Pokemon are oppressed or are otherwise forced to do what they do was addressed back in Pokemon Platinum in a 'secret' event that could only be triggered by owning an Arceus.

Realism is interpreting what the games give you in a way closer to real life. Breaking canon is not on the other hand realism.

@Drunk: Hmm... I am somewhat pleased with the concept you've presented. You could've done a lot worse, I'll give you that. there are two things about the explanation that eat at me though.

Quote originally posted by drunk ¬_¬:
However, Pokémon will be severely nerfed by their lost link to humans. No longer able to be trained, Pokémon will only fully evolve on very special cases, so it's not like you'll be stepping out of a village to find a freaking Charizard waiting to eat you.

Also, guns and harpoons and bows and crossbows and ****.
More specifically... wouldn't "wild" pokemon not be benefiting from training/the bond to begin with?

Also, guns and arrows? Those would be completely and utterly useless on even the weakest normal pokemon. I have a hard time imagining a pokemon becoming weak enough that guns and arrows would ever be an effective way of fighting them. I mean we've got /real/ animals like bears where guns just... aren't good enough half the time already.
Old September 20th, 2012 (05:22 PM). Edited September 20th, 2012 by machomuu.
Gold Tier

@Doronjo - So far it seems well thought out, organized, and attractive; I'm a fan of the presentation, and the ideas behind it seem solid. It's nice to see such an open-ended take on such an open-ended idea.

@Yellow - Guns and arrows are quite effective on many animals, that's why they are often the weapons of choice in hunting, and those are some of the weaker, less lethal guns (guns used for actual combat are far more effective). Most pokemon would be killed by a few bullets, the speed and velocity of bullets and arrows is much faster than most regular pokemon attacks, and they'd be far more lethal. In fact, the easiest way to go about this is to compare the speed, velocity, size, and shape of pokemon attacks that have the same piercing and penetrating properties to those of a bullet. I'd say a bullet would be probably faster than that of an Extreme Speed attack, and given that they are shaped for penetration and that they're so small, they are probably far more effective, as well. Similarly, Arrows would go at least as fast as a Quick Attack, and despite the fact that they aren't usually made of alloys or some of the stronger metals that make up bullets, coupled with the fact that they use wood for support, they still have incredible piercing and penetrating power, and unless the one being shot at had Rock, Ice, or metal armor, it'd probably go through (it still might due some damage to a metal pokemon, depending on the pokemon in question). Not too mention that many pokemon don't have skin, coats, and muscles as strong as bears, but a buckshot would still be able to put a bear down with little effort. Even in the case of those with thick armor, skin, or coats, being shot in the temples or the eyes would probably still be a death sentence; the pokemon often do have weak/exposed points other than the aforementioned.
Old September 20th, 2012 (06:33 PM).
Here's to the crazy ones.

@Doronjo - So far it's looking great. I'm just now getting into SAO myself, so it looks very intriguing and the initial stages well thought out.
Old September 20th, 2012 (08:38 PM). Edited September 20th, 2012 by Stingray.
This armor... I hate it

The subject of Pokemon training... personally I have not seen that special story, but Black and White seems to skirt around it some. Either way I feel like you need to hit the "I Believe" button and not think about it too hard to make Pokemon training seem not so bad. I mean for me its hard not to question forcing a little animal (in some cases these animals seem to demonstrate intelligence closer to a human) in a ball (tearing it away from its family, its home, and everything it knows and is familiar with), and only releasing it so to make it fight (where it will potentially get electrocuted, burned, stabbed, poisoned, strangled, smashed, punched, kicked, frozen, buried alive, and so on) as a little questionable morality wise.

On the subject of weapons...I could many Pokemon would be quite killable using guns, problem is I can see many of the steel/rock type needing a lot of bullets to take down and I can imagine some steel type having armor close to that of a tank.

Then there is the aspect that Pokemon seem to be able to take a lightning bolt to the face, or a giant whale jump on them and they MIGHT faint at worse. So I would say they are a bit tougher than your average animal.

Yes a .22 or 9mm will not do much but annoy a bear (unless you hit it in the right spot), and I'm pretty sure buckshot will not do much to a bear unless it hits vitals. However if you bring something with some real punch like 50 caliber weapons, or an automatic shotgun with explosive slugs... Some Pokemon will get killed by something that powerful.

@Miss Doronjo I have never seen or heard of SAO, but I find it VERY interesting... one question though is there magic in SAO?
Old September 21st, 2012 (02:34 AM).
Gold Tier

@Stingray - Yes and no, in the first episode they state that magic doesn't exist in SAO, and while it is true in terms of direct use, there do exist magic swords.
Old September 21st, 2012 (05:53 AM).
I was born for this x
CS

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by Miss Doronjo:
Okay, this is far from finished, but I want to give you guys a brief overview of what.. I've come up with for the SAO RP:

Spoiler:

A Roleplay based off the Anime, Sword Art Online, Rated T. This is the SU +OOC thread. The IC thread shall be made soon.

It's been in the news for months now...
...and as been hyped for so long.

The year is now 2050. You're a person who is a huge fan of the Arugus software company and the products they have created - the most popular of creations, includes the Nerve Gear, a virtual reality helmet that allows you to view a virtual world as if it feels like reality. The creator of Arugus, Kayaba Akihiko, was also a man who you admired for a while now - but who wouldn't? The man was a genius; his skills and creativity was unmatched by anyone in the world. One day, the media exploded when the latest news came in: Argus had created its first ever VRMMORPG for it's Nerve Gear Virtual Reality Helmet, Sword Art Online, produced by Kayaba Akihiko. 10,000 lucky people were fortunate enough to beta-test the game first, while only a VERY lucky 1000 people tested the game from it's development stage. Soon, the market exploded with demands as the Sword Art Online game was finally released in stores in June 20, 2050. Even though about 1.5 million copies were sold world wide, they were all sold out within one month.

When the game was finally played, it was even better than how it was seen in game trailers. As you put on the game helmet, your brain feels unconscious, as soon enough, it appears that you've been warped to another world. From there, you decided to sign up, and create a screen name, as well as a custom avatar that you'll be in the game. The avatar can have a great range of appearances, which with reasons of your own, you create a avatar that you'll feel pleased with. After the sign-up as been completed, the game can finally be played. You select 'start' from the game menu, as you teleport to a strange destination...

「 In the GAME 」

A huge castle made of stone and steel floating in an endless sky.
That was all this world was.

As you finally regain your composure, you'll see that the world that you're in now is far different from the real world. You'll notice that you are standing outdoors with a route lined with tall grass and trees in front of you and a small town behind you. It felt kind of weird at first - you don't seem to be wearing a helmet anymore, and the wind in this area... you can feel it, even though you remember being in your bedroom, or anywhere else indoors. Soon enough, you realize that you have your avatar's appearance, and thus, in the actual game.

You find a sheath on your personage - and in that sheath, is a sleek and smooth sword. Now THIS was exciting - you get to actually use a sword! But for what? That was obvious; to slay monsters. A couple of your first steps in the game, you'll soon reach the town nearby, as a sign appears in the sky that reads: «Beginners Town». This was a nice town; it's filled with markets: weaponry, food, clothing, etc., etc.. and it even has a few hotels to stay in for nights! Everything about this game was awesome, as promised!

That was until, you saw that you've gotten a notification. Opening the menu to answer it was a cinch - all you had to do was call 'MENU' and it will pop up, revealing your profile, your level, your items, and so on. Soon, you see the message left to you - it was anonymous. Answering it, the letter reads: Logout Button missing is not a glitch. Come to think of it - where was the logout button? You don't see it anywhere on the menu... even calling 'alt ctrl delete' didn't help. Soon, you get another notification: 'The only way to escape... is to win the game.' You look around you towards the other players, and from the surprised and scared expressions on their faces, they seem to have the same notification. It didn't end there: Beware: if you die here, you die in real life. As if the panic of the players weren't bad enough.. some of them tried to escape through the player escape warp point, the only other exit from the game other than the logout button, but, they've failed. Soon, they were all stopped by an ominous voice:

Welcome players, to Sword Art Online.

「 Sword Art Online - Terms and Mechanics 」

Like every MMO Game, Sword Art Online has it's own play-style, terms, as well as rules that you'll eventually have to be accustomed to. However, this list will show you all (or at leas the majority of them) if you're unclear.

The Level System

The game operates similar to most MMORPGs with a level system. If your new to the game, you'll start out in level 1, as with a few players who have already played the beta game will probably be in a higher level.
  • How to gain levels?

The main way to level up in this game is to defeat various monsters. For each monster you defeat, you gain experience. If you have enough experience, you'll gain a level. In this case, the quality of your post (meaning how the monster fight went) will reflect your experience. When you do level up, I'll make a post stating that. It'll go something like this:

Congratulations, Umane gained a level!
9 » 10

Skills

Skills come in all shapes and sizes, but with some restrictions. As a character in the game, you'll have your own chosen skills, which you can choose a few of them in a list, like this:

One Handed Straight Sword - 1
Hand to Hand Combat - 1
Hearing - 1
Forging - 1
Cooking - 1
Tracking - 1

«Sword Skills» are programmed movements assisted by the system after a player performs the initial movement in Sword Art Online. These skills fall into four properties: Thrust, Slash, Pierce and Blunt also beginner ability: Final Thrust. (or in this RP's case, all you need to do is simply 'roleplay' the move to perform a skill.) When you level up with the sword your wielding after you've defeated a monster with it, there is a chance that you'll learn new weapon skills. There are also weapon skills (the skills infused with certain weapons). If you perform a skill within a weapon frequently, you'll gain that skill, along with your basic weapon skills.

Of course, there are way more skills than weapons - for example, cooking. The more skilled you are in cooking, the more exotic food you can cook with a higher success rate. And of course, the more you cook, the more skill points you'll have in cooking.

All in all, the more you do something that relates to our skill, the more skill points you'll have in that skill. After each level, you'll gain a 'skill point' where you can use each skill point you have, to level up a skill you possess, including sword skills. (Which you can keep track and manage them all here, in the OOC thread.)

Finally, there are hidden skills you can acquire, but of course, that's a secret. (;

Items & Equipment

Your equipment is basically the stuff you use to do battle. Your sword is one of them of course; and you can also wear certain clothing that increases your battle armor, or attack damage. (however, attack damage and clothing won't matter in this RP.)

Items are another thing; they can do just about anything, depending on the descriptions of an item and what it can do. For example, you can have items that can replenish health (well, health won't matter in this RP, but... you can get creative on that.) You can also have food to eat too; it can also help replenish your fatigue.

There are various weapons other than your basic sword, of course. There are swords that can do a lot of damage, or give you a lot of speed, and so on. Forging is a great skill that you can have to give you great weapons, and armor.

Item Drops are another thing. There is a chance that when you defeat a monster, you'll get a item that it 'drops' when you've defeated it. The same goes with boss monsters.

「 Roleplay Mechanics 」

This Roleplay is freelance, meaning you are free to make your own adventures throughout this game, with other players. However, there will be a few twists and turns along the way; as well as a 'set objective' that you'll eventually need to do. Most of the time, it'll be defeating bosses, and clearing dungeon floors.

Um, I'm not 100% sure if I should stick with the statistics here, buuut, they seem to fit with this style of the RP, so, I'm trying to go for a casual, as well as somewhat statistical RP here.

Well, any tips / advice will be appreciated before it's finished~!
It's like... like HOMESTUCK yet NOTHOMESTUCK. Which means I'd join if I could find the time. Which I don't have right now since I'm finding it difficult to post in as little as two RPs. Which means: please don't post this RP for a while yet 8D durr dur

RPG RPs (lol) can be more fun than people believe, I believe (lol).

Ok this post pretty much turned out weird. But what I mean is: it looks really good.

moderator:
x Roleplay Theatre

roleplays:
x Crossroads
x Digimon
x Titans
Old September 21st, 2012 (06:07 AM). Edited September 21st, 2012 by PkMnTrainer Yellow.
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by machomuu:
@Yellow - Guns and arrows are quite effective on many animals, that's why they are often the weapons of choice in hunting, and those are some of the weaker, less lethal guns (guns used for actual combat are far more effective). Most pokemon would be killed by a few bullets, the speed and velocity of bullets and arrows is much faster than most regular pokemon attacks, and they'd be far more lethal.
...We tend to use expanding bullets when hunting, a type of bullet internationally outlawed from use in actual warfare (as a war crime) by the Hague Conventions for being /too lethal/. I would not presume that military grade hardware is going to be a direct upgrade from hunting hardware or even an upgrade at all. It's, for the better when you get down to explaining why, not that simple.

But yeah, this is basically the reason I don't touch most Pokemon vs Humans RPs. I expect something a little more impressive than "Y'know those creatures that can take being struck with a several hundred pound pokemon breaking the sound barrier with relative grace? Okay let's just IGNORE that and make little bullets traveling at roughly the same speed a serious threat."

I do not get a realistic vibe from that. In fact it makes me feel like the main character of a 90s shooter. I would literally feel obligated to start spouting one-liners and/or in-jokes and referring to pokemon as demons. (...)

I sure hate to use my own concepts as an example, but a handy dandy virus or some other sort of scientific babble biological warfare could serve to severely weaken a Pokemon's defense in a more believable fashion. It could also hamper their ability to grow/evolve. (...And then suddenly, Zombie Pokemon.)

@Stingray: The short explanation is that the Pokemon you catch in the games are actually a part of you.

Now the short explanation is earnestly kind of lame, so let me offer you a bit more of an in-depth one. In the beginning, Pokemon and Humans ate at the same table. You know that book right? It's in DPPt. In Platinum, that book's meaning is explained as Pokemon and Humans having once been the same entity. The same person. They ate the same table because they were not separate beings yet.

Later down the road Pokemon and human split from each other, which lead to what you see in the games today.

The implications of this are that a trainer and their Pokemon are like fragments of a whole being. They complete each other. This is also the explanation for the magical bond a trainer and their Pokemon share.

It also explains why the book about eating at the same table was originally mistranslated as Pokemon and Humans marrying. (Because the second definition of marriage is a fancy word for two things being joined together, which makes a lot of sense in this context.)

The story is told by a very cool hiker (...) in Platinum that appears, collects, and studies the arceus plates if you own an arceus. You can read the entire script of what he has to say here (link)
Old September 21st, 2012 (11:12 AM).
Gold Tier

I didn't say that you should use guns, but even using the pokemon-canon logic (anime or otherwise, though it makes the most sense using game or Adventures canon) guns would be effective against pokemon in a lethal manner, hunting or otherwise (there are plenty of exceptions, though, much like in real life).
Old September 21st, 2012 (11:42 AM).

I can't get past the notion that Yellow thinks a Gardevoir could beat Superman. If you're referring to Magical Leaf then it would probably harm him, but he's overcome his weakness before.

Sorry. Big comic book guy over here. *skulks off*

Jackson (Male Shieldon) Lvl 24: Toxic, Sandstorm, Protect, Iron Head, Stealth Rock, Dig
Ability: Sturdy

Bixi (Female Tirtouga) Lvl 24: Crunch, Aqua Tail, Sandstorm, Ice Beam, Stone Edge, Iron Defense
Ability: Solid Rock

Siege (Male Geodude) Lvl 22: Defense Curl, Attract, Rock Polish, Rock Throw, Magnitude, Roll Out
Ability: Rock Head
Old September 21st, 2012 (11:46 AM).
Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader

Send a message via Skype™ to TornZero
Quote originally posted by Lincoln West:
I can't get past the notion that Yellow thinks a Gardevoir could beat Superman. If you're referring to Magical Leaf then it would probably harm him, but he's overcome his weakness before.

Sorry. Big comic book guy over here. *skulks off*
Gardevoir has the capability to create a black hole. I believe this is what Yellow referred to when making the claim, and with that knowledge, I have to agree with her. I don't think even Superman could beat a black hole.

I will be moving my account to Songbird over the course of immediately. The signature will stay as is for posterity and reference.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links