The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner

Notices

Roleplay Corner The realm where writers gather to create glorious tales or silly drama together and chronicle their adventures. Start or join roleplays featuring Pokémon, other franchises or something completely original!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Raikiri
Vanguard
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave

Advertise here
What was your favorite RP that you were ever apart of, past or present? What made you (or continues to make you) like this RP so much?

Tough question, but probably Atlantis Arising. It was the RP that arguably got me back into RPing after a hiatus and some "part time" RPing. It had an interesting set-up, some awesome characters and a great mythos behind the plot line. It had some great RPers in it as well and I am happy that I still talk to the people I met in that RP. Well, most of them. Red disappears too often.

Paired with the manly Supervegeta
Old February 28th, 2013, 07:56 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
Okay I have a question solely relating to pokemon RPs.

If you are required to choose a starter, what is your preferred set of options for choosing it.

Grass/Fire/Water cycle

Electric/Normal parallels

Dark/Psychic/Fighting Cycle

Choose a baby pokemon

Choose any, or something entirely different?
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Fenne-kun
//TheEternalSushi

Nature: Bold
Define Electric/Normal parallels o.o

I'd go for Dark/Psychic/Fighting triangle just because it's something newer compared to the original triangle.

"Not everyone can become a great artist; but a great artist can come from anywhere" - Anton Ego
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Somniac
Probably sleeping.
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenne-kun View Post
Define Electric/Normal parallels o.o

I'd go for Dark/Psychic/Fighting triangle just because it's something newer compared to the original triangle.
I don't think that would work though; dark has an advantage because it's completely immune to psychic, where as the other two can still be hit by the opposed type.
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Nauje
Hmm.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I'm new to roleplays, so I was just wondering, what tips would you give to a beginner like me when writing a story update? Like, what should I include, how much should I write? Thanks.
Old February 28th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Jake♫
► My Happy Little Pill 
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
Okay I have a question solely relating to pokemon RPs.

If you are required to choose a starter, what is your preferred set of options for choosing it.

Grass/Fire/Water cycle

Electric/Normal parallels

Dark/Psychic/Fighting Cycle

Choose a baby pokemon

Choose any, or something entirely different?
I'm generally a fan of having a combination of it all. I like having some traditional starters, but I also just like throwing wildcards in there as well for journey RPs. For anything open-ended I think it'd be better just to let people have it at with what they wanted to start with, since they'd more than likely not be starting in a lab be given their first Pokémon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyke View Post
I'm new to roleplays, so I was just wondering, what tips would you give to a beginner like me when writing a story update? Like, what should I include, how much should I write? Thanks.
I think checking out the stickied threads in this section would definitely help you a lot (especially the rules, click me)! As for what you should include, it's really dependent on the RP you're in. If it's chapter-based, then you would just follow the chapter guidelines of what the GM would want. If it's open-ended I'm not as helpful, but I'd assume you'd be basing off what you wrote previously and what other people in the RP are and go from there. Length-wise it needs to be at least 100 words long (based on the rules of this section!).

Biggest tip I'd give you though is to make sure you're using a spell checker! Grammar and spelling mistakes can make a great post just look...mediocre at best if it's riddled with errors, so always be typing with one in use!
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:03 PM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Thanks for the advice guys.

@Fenne-kun - By Electric/Normal parallels I mean a situation similar to yellow where the only options are electric or normal types which are very similar in that both have only one weakness (although normal also has an immunity).
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:23 AM
Fenne-kun
//TheEternalSushi

The idea I had earlier's been accepted! Drop by my new RP thingy A Rocket's Diary if you want! :D

Gimmiepie - ohhh.. But you've decided already so x3

"Not everyone can become a great artist; but a great artist can come from anywhere" - Anton Ego
Old March 2nd, 2013, 05:51 AM
StinkomanFan
Intern of the Pokemon world

Nature: Quirky
Check out my new RP as well, it also features Team Rocket. Except they're the villains. Hope to see you guys and your ideas really soon!
Old March 2nd, 2013, 06:15 PM
Fenne-kun
//TheEternalSushi

Sudden influx of TR rps xD I'll check it out!

Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:52 PM
Mangofive
Unhatched Egg

Where do I actually sign up? read the best way to make a profile, but I don't know where I go to put mine in a reply...

Pokemon White FC: 1894 0975 2401
Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:02 PM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

For the most part you put your sign-up for a roleplay in that RP's Out of Character (OOC) thread. Be sure to make sure there is room first.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:02 PM
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangofive View Post
Where do I actually sign up? read the best way to make a profile, but I don't know where I go to put mine in a reply...
You make a Sign Up in the OOC (or Out of Character) thread of an RP. For instance, say you wanted to sign up for Pokemon Fallout; you would go to the Roleplay Lounge (which can be accessed from the Roleplay Corner) and find the Pokemon Fallout thread there.

After that, you need to look for the Sign-Up sheet and fill it out. The SU sheet usually varies from roleplay from roleplay. Still, before making an SU, be sure to read about the SU itself, so as to make your time in the roleplay more legitimate and to avoid inconsistencies in your SU.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 04:32 AM
Claws of Darkness
Names ain't matter...

Nature: Hasty
Hey, guys! This is Claws of Darkness, and I'm a new member of Pokecommunity. I'm kinda new in forums, so bit lost here hehe. Anyways, I decided to try out the Roleplay Corner because roleplaying sounds pretty interesting to try out and it'd be a great opportunity to test my writing abilities. I'll be glad if there will be people to guide me in this (Yes, I did read the sticky threads and I kinda got the gist out of it), and I look forward to roleplaying with you guys.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 04:45 AM
Nauje
Hmm.
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claws of Darkness View Post
Hey, guys! This is Claws of Darkness, and I'm a new member of Pokecommunity. I'm kinda new in forums, so bit lost here hehe. Anyways, I decided to try out the Roleplay Corner because roleplaying sounds pretty interesting to try out and it'd be a great opportunity to test my writing abilities. I'll be glad if there will be people to guide me in this (Yes, I did read the sticky threads and I kinda got the gist out of it), and I look forward to roleplaying with you guys.
Hey dude yeah I'm new to roleplaying too, sounds really interesting don't it? It's quite hard to find spots though, so I would suggest lingering around the Roleplay Lounge and reserving a spot in a roleplay as quickly as possible 'cause sign-ups tend to go pretty quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake♫ View Post
I think checking out the stickied threads in this section would definitely help you a lot (especially the rules, click me)! As for what you should include, it's really dependent on the RP you're in. If it's chapter-based, then you would just follow the chapter guidelines of what the GM would want. If it's open-ended I'm not as helpful, but I'd assume you'd be basing off what you wrote previously and what other people in the RP are and go from there. Length-wise it needs to be at least 100 words long (based on the rules of this section!).

Biggest tip I'd give you though is to make sure you're using a spell checker! Grammar and spelling mistakes can make a great post just look...mediocre at best if it's riddled with errors, so always be typing with one in use!
Thanks, the roleplay I'm in is chapter-based so things were pretty straight forward thank god haha

Last edited by Nauje; March 3rd, 2013 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:07 AM
Doctor
& time lord

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Hey, guys! This is Claws of Darkness, and I'm a new member of Pokecommunity. I'm kinda new in forums, so bit lost here hehe. Anyways, I decided to try out the Roleplay Corner because roleplaying sounds pretty interesting to try out and it'd be a great opportunity to test my writing abilities. :) I'll be glad if there will be people to guide me in this (Yes, I did read the sticky threads and I kinda got the gist out of it), and I look forward to roleplaying with you guys. ;)
Quote:
Hey dude :) yeah I'm new to roleplaying too, sounds really interesting don't it? It's quite hard to find spots though, so I would suggest lingering around the Roleplay Lounge and reserving a spot in a roleplay as quickly as possible 'cause sign-ups tend to go pretty quick!

Thanks, the roleplay I'm in is chapter-based so things were pretty straight forward thank god haha
Welcome, both of you! It's always nice to see new faces here. This thread (and the whole section, of course) is filled with people ready to help out. Should you ever have any specific question regarding anything about roleplaying here, feel free to send me a VM or PM about it and I'll gladly help if I can. I've been around for quite some time.

Like Scyke says, some RPs tend to fill up rather quickly. Others don't however and there are many hidden gems that people don't initially think are awesome but end up amazing when the RP kicks off! So try joining several different RPs to try and find your own favorite style and genre.

trust me, I'm the Doctor !

Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:17 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Everyone, as you may have noticed I have been testing the waters in the RP Corner a lot lately, trying to figure out what kind of RP style suits me the most as a player and as a GM (I currently have two very different active RPs, Reapers: Keepers of the Balance and Pokemon: Journeys through Novia) and I have recently been working on a second journey RP. I figure since I have been asking around for tips and talking to numerous members of PC about this second journey RP that I should say publicly that I am postponing the development of the second journey RP in favour of another original RP (unless comments in here discourage me from this path).

This original RP, the title of which and more information on it I'll give you later, will be a medieval fantasy RP with what I believe is a very unique story line. If you want more information before I give any out on here PM me but this post was mostly to see what the Corner things about this change in plans.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:06 AM
Fenne-kun
//TheEternalSushi

Underdog RPs are quite amusing to watch, actually! Welcome to the RP Corner too, Claws!

@Gimmiepie, I think I've seen some Medieval RPs here before, but if you say that you have an interesting storyline, I'd like to hear it! I agree that you should delay the journey RP anyway - too many at the moment, in my opinion.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:09 AM
StinkomanFan
Intern of the Pokemon world

Nature: Quirky
How does one get their RPs noticed? I've gotten nothing during the past-two days. Do I just gotta be more patient or is it just luck?
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:13 AM
Fenne-kun
//TheEternalSushi

I think it's a bit of both, really. Sometimes it's all about timing (less people there during your RP), and sometimes it's kinda just luck. Of course, the RP's content and the thread's overall attractiveness are all important.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:19 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

@Stinkoman - A lot of factors come into it.

Firstly, the quality of the RP (not just in the eyes of the creator but of all potential players). By this I mean, how "attractive" is the OP, how well organised and detailed is the information in it and how well written is it in terms of spelling and grammar.

Second, the uniqueness. I have noticed that more unique RP's usually get more attention but being TOO unique can sometimes backfire and cause a loss of interest. Especially if the RP is too complicated.

Third, how complicated is it. You need an RP complex enough to be engaging but not so complicated that nobody can follow it and that you struggle to GM it. Similarly if an RP is too simple it can be dull and boring. You need to find a balance.

Fourth, story. Is the story behind your RP interesting? Does it catch peoples attention? Kind of tied in with the last two really.

Fifth, People can't help it, they will be more inclined to look at RPs made by GMs they know and love, or at least have seen active in the corner over a good period of time. For newer Rpers you just have to keep at it until something catches on.

Of course, luck probably has a bit to do with it to. A lot of the time the success of an RP will quite possibly have more to do with how good the competition is than how good it is. So if you post at a time full of really good RPs, yours will be less likely to be noticed.

Did I miss anything guys?
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:01 AM
Greiger
A mad mind... hehe

Nature: Serious
@Stink - What I would suggest you do is first off join some rps. Some big ones really like... Pokemon Trainer's Academy. Show off your roleplaying style and get to know some of the other people here. The other rpers will be more inclined to join a rp if

1) They know you
and 2) If they know you can make good posts.

If you interact with others first off and then gain some friends that way then it will be much easier when you set up an rp to attract people. This way they will know what you are capable of whenever you post and feel more comfortable to join your rp rather than go in blind not knowing what you are capable of and being disappointed when you get a GM post out and it does not excel in quality. Make some friends, rp a bit, and then go ahead and plunge into the GM role. I know for myself I had to rp in Pokemon Odyssey for a bit as well as in other rps to show the others what I was able to do and once I got my own rp submitted I found that others were more inclined to join up.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:32 AM
machomuu
The Lights in the Sky are Stars
Community Supporter

There's also shameless advertising. Despite the title, there's no shame in it. Usually.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 03:24 PM
revlis
Ooh, Ooh! I vote makeovers!
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangofive View Post
Quote:
Hey, guys! This is Claws of Darkness, and I'm a new member of Pokecommunity. I'm kinda new in forums, so bit lost here hehe. Anyways, I decided to try out the Roleplay Corner because roleplaying sounds pretty interesting to try out and it'd be a great opportunity to test my writing abilities. :) I'll be glad if there will be people to guide me in this (Yes, I did read the sticky threads and I kinda got the gist out of it), and I look forward to roleplaying with you guys. ;)
Quote:
Hey dude :) yeah I'm new to roleplaying too, sounds really interesting don't it? It's quite hard to find spots though, so I would suggest lingering around the Roleplay Lounge and reserving a spot in a roleplay as quickly as possible 'cause sign-ups tend to go pretty quick!

Welcome guys, my advice would be to check out the Roleplay Library (link) Red tends to update it rather frequently with the latest threads, otherwise check out Skymin's Check To See If Your RP Has Been Accepted Thread (link) Each time she updates the forum with the accepted RPs she posts which were accepted and declined in this thread; a quick and easy way to see what's new.

Also asking GMs if there is space in their RP for you is a good way to enter an RP that perhaps may have already started.
Old March 4th, 2013, 03:36 AM
gimmepie
The Seeker of Pies
Community Supporter

Is there anyone on here who has a lot of experience in the medieval fantasy genre (in RPs) and in RPing in general who can help me refine my ideas etc.. into a good RP. I have a ways to go on it I think and would appreciate the help.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here