Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Roleplay Corner The realm where writers gather to create glorious tales or silly drama together and chronicle their adventures. Start or join roleplays featuring Pokémon, other franchises or something completely original!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old August 26th, 2013 (02:59 PM).
Jegretis

Nature: Jolly
I would potentially join an ES RP, however I have only played Skyrim...unless that is all that is required.
Old August 26th, 2013 (03:02 PM).
<Challenger>
One lean, green, fighting machine

Elder Scrolls? :0 I've played Oblivion and Skyrim only, but I've spent an unhealthy amount of time in the lore section of the wiki XD I'd join one, but I would potentially have to drop one of my current roleplays. One might die by then (Dear Arcues don't let that happen!), so I'm a prime candidate.
Old August 26th, 2013 (03:42 PM).
Skymin
part time demon hunter

Nature: Quirky
I have a topic for y'all:

What kind of character names do you prefer?
Old August 26th, 2013 (03:59 PM). Edited August 26th, 2013 by <Challenger>.
<Challenger>
One lean, green, fighting machine

If you look at my signature, it you can tell I prefer Japanese-ish names, although I've had several characters with English names, like Damian Lewis, or Malik Grizz.

EDIT: Guys, don't feel creeped out if you see my name pop up on your Recent Visitors list. I tend to stalk people to see what they're doing...Watching...Always......Watching...................watching.......................................................always
Old August 26th, 2013 (05:38 PM).
Nauje
A sofa in San Tropez...
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed

I think half the characters I've ever created has been called Scyke lol

Except that I normally call them normal English names, nothing fancy.
Old August 26th, 2013 (05:48 PM).
Chalifoux
:: Lives In SHADES of COOL ::
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid

Either I have them have spanish surnames OR I give them Victorian/Steampunk names... sometimes both :D
What can I say, I'm a Spain/Steampunk fanboy x3

Chalifoux
Lives In Shades Of Cool
:: can't get thru his world ::

Private Message
Friend Code
Logbook
IGN
Trade Reviews
Pair

Old August 26th, 2013 (07:16 PM).
Crushgaunt

Nature: Lonely
I'd be interested in a TES rp, but I think a more independent story arc would be better given the open world to mine ideas from.

Oh, and to anyone who might recognize me from about a year ago, Hi :D
Old August 27th, 2013 (01:09 AM).
gimmepie
The Emanation Pokemon
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild

Most of my character names have some sort of meaning to them, otherwise I just choose names that seem to fit the character or that generally sound cool.
#447 Riolu
Supporter Collab January 2015
The Roleplay Corner
paired to Lokiepie, Chalifoux, Nauje

Old August 27th, 2013 (02:12 AM).
Rose Quartz
Let's change our fate

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Rose Quartz

I usually use Japanese ones because I somehow like them. I tend to use Celtic names as well or names like "April". The last names of my characters are always Japanese except for Lucina's last name, which is Irish.

Yeah… d: that's it I guess.
Brothers
Sisters
Theme
Maya Nami Kyuuketsuki / Ryuu Higoroshi / Luna / Lucina / Lacy / Madison Campbell
Old August 27th, 2013 (02:37 AM).
Skymin
part time demon hunter

Quote originally posted by Skymin:
I have a topic for y'all:

Honestly, I try to avoid a name if it isn't relative to my character. Like, a white American male character shouldn't be called "Satoshi Miyazuki" unless there's a really good reason behind it. And I'm not gonna name my hardcore Russian dude "Robert Smith", unless, again, there's a good reason behind it.

Most of the time, their name depends on a personality, or visa versa. A tough character is going to have a bold name like Harley or Ruby whereas a reserved character might have a softer name like Lucy or Sarah.

Last names, I always pick what flows well.
Old August 27th, 2013 (03:02 AM).
Doctor
& time lord

Nature: Naive
I don't have any specific thoughts when it comes to names. Except that I most often want pretty unique and weird names :] Jun Toledo, Alabaster whatshisname, Agnes (there aren't too many Agnes in the RPC okay). Something I can remember them by and hopefully be remembered by other players as well. Rather than Jim Watson or Hikari Masuki or something that doesn't really stand out imo.

The Doctor & Amy Pond
Old August 27th, 2013 (05:13 AM).
machomuu
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I generally pick names that you don't hear often but you wouldn't think twice about if you heard (Rin Shavi, Mako Reese, Regal Gemini). I don't go out of my way to make them unique or obscure, though; my goal is generally just to give them a name that flows. And also one that fits, for the most part, though the naming usually happens before I even have my character thought up.

Well, except in the SAO RPs, but those are a special case.

Actually, mind if I throw in another question?
How do you feel about major, player-created NPCs in an RP? Do you ever create any? Can you name some notable ones?

I ask this because I generally go crazy with NPCs in RPs (though I'm not really sure if it bothers anybody). They generally make solo-RPing and storytelling so much fun. Though I've noticed that a lot of times I tend to go the Sister/Daughter route with things; my female NPC list FAR outweighs my male one. But I think that having NPCs can add a lot to an RP, both for the creator as well as the other members.
Old August 27th, 2013 (05:40 AM).
mucus
Moémon Master

How do you feel about major, player-created NPCs in an RP? Do you ever create any? Can you name some notable ones?
These are important characters. They can be used to serve all sorts of purposes from menial labor to fighting alongside your character to anything else.
In a previous RP I played the part of an intergalactic bar owner.
Being an intergalactic bar it was important for me to have employees, five hundred employees. Five hundred holographic bunny girls, actually. And not just any holograms- touchable and intractable holograms! 4 of which had identifiable personalities.
Also, can't have a bar without a bartender. Sam. Sam was a staple in the RP. Always ready to serve whatever the patron asked for, you knew you could count on him. He was so important that he even got a name, and players talked about him and the things he did.
And what's an intergalactic space bar without an evil robotic mind controlling all of the futuristic tech?
Yep, I had one of those too. It was obsessed with keeping my character alive and nearby. It would even go so far as to maim or cripple my character in order to keep her there. Its primary job was to make sure the holographic bunny girls operated correctly, which it did fairly well - but controlling 500 people can be tiring, and can lead your super-advanced intergalactic space bar computer down a one way road to insanity!

TL;DR - Major NPCs are crucial!
Old August 27th, 2013 (06:37 AM).
Rose Quartz
Let's change our fate

I use them A LOT just to make things fun. Esspecially in the RP's that I GM I tend to trow in a lot of NPC's. In Youkai Academy I even made a list to keep track on them d:
Brothers
Sisters
Theme
Maya Nami Kyuuketsuki / Ryuu Higoroshi / Luna / Lucina / Lacy / Madison Campbell
Old August 27th, 2013 (08:17 PM).
Geras32
Slightly less of a noob

Nature: Serious
I'm back although I was only sorta gone. Anyway, on to the matter at hand:

Name question:
When I start creating a character, nationality is very important to me. Typical customs, beliefs, all that good stuff influences my decisions. Anyway, once I've finished their backstory, I consult a random name generator and make it generate names of the nationality I want for them. I'll take note of the names that I like the sound of and look up their meanings. The one that suits the character I have created most wins! This doesn't work so easily in pokemon RPs or ones where there isn't an earth though, in which case I skip the to the last two steps.

NPC question:
I love 'em. I could list all sorts of reasons for that. They help spice up your character's personal story and help said character develop, they let you post when there isn't anyone available to interact, they can serve as a bridge for others' characters to interact with your own, etc. I use them a lot and I wouldn't do it any other way.

No especially notable ones thus far, but I do feel the need to mention one in specific in Youkai Academy. I joined it very early on upon my return to PC and thought it would be better for me to make a simple character. At some point, I started getting bored with him because he ended up being too simple and the novelty of his unawareness and obliviousness wore off. Thus, I created Luthas. An intelligent and gentlemanly sort of foil for my uninformed and primitive Yorick. Creating interactions between them was a blast and planning an entire situation revolving around Luthas and strongly involving Yorick gave me new insight as to how to develop and expand upon Yorick.

So TL;DR, NPCs are good for you. (Yes, I'm copying you, mucus)
Old August 28th, 2013 (03:36 AM).
Magic
キュウコン

Myself and Sir Bastian have an Avatar-style roleplay on the way! Set after Avatar Korra has passed - there's a new avatar and some familiar enemies.
Old August 28th, 2013 (04:33 AM).
Sir Bastian
Lean Mean Roleplaying Machine
Community Supporter

We definitely have! Prepare your butts for some amazing bending action! I can't wait for us to get started with it, I've been waiting a long time for an Avatar setting for an RP :3
Old August 28th, 2013 (05:52 AM).
Foxrally
Torterra = Epic Private Island

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by Sir Bastian:
We definitely have! Prepare your butts for some amazing bending action! I can't wait for us to get started with it, I've been waiting a long time for an Avatar setting for an RP :3
I SHALL JOIN LIKE NO OTHER FOX HAS JOINED BEFOAR!!!!1111!!

You forget one of the GMs is a fox, ididot.

Oh. Well anyway I'm really excited for that RP which I'll definitely be joining. Also, I got a question for anywho's who wanna answer:

What do you feel about Sign-up sheets? Do you enjoy writing them? Do you read others' sign-up sheets? What style to you usually use in them, straightforward or detailed?

Pairs - -
Old August 28th, 2013 (05:54 AM).
gimmepie
The Emanation Pokemon
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
@Magic Fox - I'll probably have to join... all this RPing is going to kill me.
#447 Riolu
Supporter Collab January 2015
The Roleplay Corner
paired to Lokiepie, Chalifoux, Nauje

Old August 28th, 2013 (06:01 AM).
Magic
キュウコン

Quote originally posted by Foxrally:
What do you feel about Sign-up sheets? Do you enjoy writing them? Do you read others' sign-up sheets? What style to you usually use in them, straightforward or detailed?
I like reading Sign-ups, and they are great to reference when talking about the appearance of another player's character. When I write them, however, I tend to leave mine quite straightforward and relatively... sparse.

Mainly because I feel like my character is likely to evolve and change, being really rigid in a personality is not me. I do, however, like making sure that their personality has a reason (family/past happenings/whatever).
Old August 28th, 2013 (07:06 AM).
Rose Quartz
Let's change our fate

I will probably join that avatar styled roleplay o.o THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!
Brothers
Sisters
Theme
Old August 28th, 2013 (07:56 AM).
Jegretis

Avatar RP? Definitely count me in.
Old August 28th, 2013 (08:23 AM).
Magic
キュウコン

Ooh yay interest! :D Always a good sign.
Old August 28th, 2013 (11:14 AM).
Axeliira
<< p u l s e s >>

I have a few ideas for roleplays myself! As much as I want to revive my SSB roleplay, I want opinions on this one:

How would anyone feel about a Pokemon Academy for Villains? I don't believe I've seen any of them here. I mean, there is a Pokemon Trainer Academy, but how does everyone feel about training to become part of a villainous group like Team Rocket or Team Plasma? This roleplay would probably be more journey based rather than following the "academy" format like GH or PTA. But I'm still thinking about it.

Old August 28th, 2013 (11:33 AM).
Kranic
What did you say about my hair

Quote originally posted by Meganium90:
I have a few ideas for roleplays myself! As much as I want to revive my SSB roleplay, I want opinions on this one:

How would anyone feel about a Pokemon Academy for Villains? I don't believe I've seen any of them here. I mean, there is a Pokemon Trainer Academy, but how does everyone feel about training to become part of a villainous group like Team Rocket or Team Plasma? This roleplay would probably be more journey based rather than following the "academy" format like GH or PTA. But I'm still thinking about it.
So something like grunt training? I think it could be neat, but what exactly would would the focus be when it comes to becoming a villian? Kicking puppies?

Roleplay Characters

Anise Briar

___

Apollo: A Journey of the Gifted

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links