Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Theatre > Roleplay Stage
Reload this Page Roleplay Discussion Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Roleplay Stage This is where the In-Character roleplaying happens. Before you create a thread here, recruit some players in Roleplay Casting. Your very own legend is about to unfold! A world of dreams and adventures awaits! Let's go!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old December 15th, 2013 (12:21 AM).
Butcher of the Sands
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Geras32:
Question for everyone: I've been curious about something for a while now. How controlling do you think a GM should be? To elaborate, I'll use two RPs that I greatly enjoy. PinkSapphire's Sword Art Online: Sanctuary is a very hands-off RP that gives players a lot of freedom. I really get to let loose in my creative ideas and I enjoy that. In contrast is Skymin's Apollo: Journey of the Gifted, which is a lot more structured, more so than your average journey RP. It actually feels more like a D&D session to me which is something I love, and it's hard to feel lost or directionless. This brings me back to my main question. Which style of GM do you prefer?
Quote originally posted by Skymin:
well, i've had both kinds of gming and its really hard to know when to use what kind. personally, i don't mind, but i really don't like it when i've got no direction. i have no motivation to post towards. so sandbox, unless i have someone to roleplay WITH is hard for me. that's why im struggling a little in mao. because im just roleplaying by myself. with some interaction and direction, i hope i can get a bit better.
As an RPer, I much prefer a GM who controls an RP to one who is hands-off. For me I like having that structure and knowledge that the GM does have something planned or at least thought out for the next part in the RP. From experience (Both GMing and RPing) without a fair amount of control, Sandbox-esque RPs tend to get out of hand or die quickly. That being said, it's always nice to have a bit of freedom to let my character flourish more. Like Skymin, I find myself easily able to forget to post in an RP that is hands off.

As a GM, I try to include a bit of both. In Atlantis Awakening, the players do have the choice of going off and doing their own thing, which I can easily adapt into the overall plot, but there is always the constructed alliances that keep the majority of the RPers moving along without the RP getting out of control. Then again it does help that I keep in contact with my RPers and so I know to a degree what they plan to do and can make the opportunities for the RPers to effectively change the direction of the RP.

In conclusion: I would say a bit of both is always a good thing, but for myself, control is more important. If only slightly.
Old December 15th, 2013 (12:27 AM).
part time demon hunter
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by Dusk:
That's... Contradictory to my point, Sky. Zelda Roleplays it seems aren't going to operate well on here. I closed it for the lack of interest coming from members, and the realization that it was the series itself that caused so much less interest.
Quote originally posted by Lord Sephear:
I dunno, I still had/have plenty of interest, I was enjoying what we had done so far and we hadn't even started yet.
my point exactly. not contradictory. your members were sad and confused it was closing and themselves stating that they were still interested. three of your five roleplayers expressing interest. and if you call that 'lack of interest', then i don't know what real interest is.
Old December 15th, 2013 (02:24 AM).
Evil Cute Thing

Nature: Timid
Factions divided is up if anybody wishes to take a look at it and sign up. Currently I'm figuring at a 12 slot rp, but if needed I can push to sixteen slot.

Old December 15th, 2013 (02:29 AM).
I was born for this x
CS

Nature: Naive
The Christmas RP is up! Please join, it's only meant to last over the holidays and be a fun thingy to post in.

moderator:
x Roleplay Theatre

roleplays:
x Crossroads
x Digimon
x Titans
Old December 15th, 2013 (06:10 AM).
King of the Hell

my point exactly. not contradictory. your members were sad and confused it was closing and themselves stating that they were still interested. three of your five roleplayers expressing interest. and if you call that 'lack of interest', then i don't know what real interest is.
I call it 'less than half of the intended capacity'. I've also noticed that there are ideas that work and ideas that don't. Instead of making attempt after attempt of the same idea, I should have tried something different quite some time ago. I went back and looked through my RPs, gauged the successes of each, and did my best to figure out why each one did well, and why they didn't. I'm taking this information and using it to make something that, if I am indeed right in my research, should not only be successful but also enjoyable.
Old December 15th, 2013 (06:18 AM).
Hey hoo~

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Skype™ to Rose Quartz
Quote originally posted by Geras32:
Question for everyone: I've been curious about something for a while now. How controlling do you think a GM should be? To elaborate, I'll use two RPs that I greatly enjoy. PinkSapphire's Sword Art Online: Sanctuary is a very hands-off RP that gives players a lot of freedom. I really get to let loose in my creative ideas and I enjoy that. In contrast is Skymin's Apollo: Journey of the Gifted, which is a lot more structured, more so than your average journey RP. It actually feels more like a D&D session to me which is something I love, and it's hard to feel lost or directionless. This brings me back to my main question. Which style of GM do you prefer?
I like both styles even though I feel like I need direction sometimes. It's also really hard for me to stay interested when there is no proper storyline. With this I mean that even though there might be a storyline, I don't like when it's not progressing much.

I'm doing both styles of GMing. SAO is more a bit sandbox with a tiny bit of direction while Youkai Academy is mostly direction with a bit of sandbox.
Sisters
Theme
Lucina / Lacy / Madison Campbell
Old December 15th, 2013 (08:11 AM).
One lean, green, fighting machine

Nature: Jolly
Sorry for the absence, guys. Around a week ago I ran over on my internet usage, so I've cut back, but later today it will be restored again.
Old December 15th, 2013 (09:09 AM).
What did you say about my hair

I call it 'less than half of the intended capacity'. I've also noticed that there are ideas that work and ideas that don't. Instead of making attempt after attempt of the same idea, I should have tried something different quite some time ago. I went back and looked through my RPs, gauged the successes of each, and did my best to figure out why each one did well, and why they didn't. I'm taking this information and using it to make something that, if I am indeed right in my research, should not only be successful but also enjoyable.
There shouldn't really be an intended capacity when it comes to roleplays. You just need to adjust with what you have, not expect things to reach a threshold you know it won't. Success comes longevity not the amount of people in the roleplay.

Roleplay Characters

Anise Briar

___

Apollo: A Journey of the Gifted

Old December 15th, 2013 (11:44 AM).
The Unconscious Wanderer
Gold Tier

Nature: Relaxed
You say three, I say four. I was still interested in that (Zelda RP), though throughout the next week or two I wouldn't have much chance to do anything due to driving cross country and moving out and in and all that.

Really, this was just bad timing on my part.

However, I do respect your decision to end it. I am simply throwing in my two cents about that.
Old December 15th, 2013 (12:24 PM).
King of the Hell

Teaser 1
Spoiler:
SOULBOND
An Alternate Take on the Pokémon World

"Pokémon. No one knows where they came from, or why. And no one questions it. In times long past, our great ancestors discovered the Forest of Spirits, where the first Pokémon were said to have originated. Since then, Fuchsia City became the start of many individuals' journeys. It didn't take long for a tradition to form; Children, from ages five to ten, are sent into the Forest of Spirits alone, to find their Pokémon with whom they are spiritually connected to. Pokémon and Humans seem to have a special bond, which we've named 'Soulbond'."

"Scientists have done their best to research this mysterious bond, but cannot figure out just why it happens. We do know that pain is shared between the Human and Pokémon, and that we can speak with them through our thoughts. It sounds amazing, right? It would be, if everyone had a Soulbond. Some people simply don't have Soulbonds, meaning not everyone has a Pokémon ally. As of late, though, some questionable characters in black and red garb have started showing up in Fuchsia and causing trouble..."

SOULBOND
A Mysterious Plan

"When asked about their intentions, they'd merely reply, 'What's it to ya?' or 'Official Rocket business, now scram!' Curious, my father and I looked into it. News articles had started showing up around the time the suspicious black-and-red visitors did. It seems that some Pokémon have been reported missing by their Soulbonds, and all suspects have been described as wearing black uniforms with a large red 'R' on the chest. Little did we know, confronting the suspect visitors to Fuchsia caused a whole lot of craziness."

"Shortly after, these 'Rockets' began to show up in most every town and city in Kanto, causing all sorts of problems for everyone. Crime skyrocketed within a few days and you can't go anywhere in Kanto anymore without hearing about the Rockets. From robbing the PokéMarts, to taking Pokémon, to hostile takeovers, the Rockets have become a major crime syndicate all across Kanto, and we need strong, courageous Soulbonds to help take a stand, and clear the Rockets out of Kanto! Be careful, though; your Pokémon Soulbond is more valuable than you think..."

Old December 15th, 2013 (12:55 PM).
:: Lives In SHADES of COOL ::
Silver Tier

So, Beautiful Creatures is up, and you should all totally join it if Mystery Dungeon is your thing, like, totally!

Chalifoux
Lives In Shades Of Cool
:: can't get thru his world ::

Private Message
Friend Code
Logbook
IGN
Trade Reviews
Pair

Old December 15th, 2013 (06:24 PM). Edited December 15th, 2013 by Chocolate™.
Awesome Dragon
Silver Tier

Nature: Adamant
Teaser 1
Spoiler:
SOULBOND

"Pokémon. No one knows where they came from, or why. And no one questions it. In times long past, our great ancestors discovered the Forest of Spirits, where the first Pokémon were said to have originated. Since then, Fuchsia City became the start of many individuals' journeys. It didn't take long for a tradition to form; Children, from ages five to ten, are sent into the Forest of Spirits alone, to find their Pokémon with whom they are spiritually connected to. Pokémon and Humans seem to have a special bond, which we've named 'Soulbond'."

"Scientists have done their best to research this mysterious bond, but cannot figure out just why it happens. We do know that pain is shared between the Human and Pokémon, and that we can speak with them through our thoughts. It sounds amazing, right? It would be, if everyone had a Soulbond. Some people simply don't have Soulbonds, meaning not everyone has a Pokémon ally. As of late, though, some questionable characters in black and red garb have started showing up in Fuchsia and causing trouble..."

SOULBOND
A Mysterious Plan

"When asked about their intentions, they'd merely reply, 'What's it to ya?' or 'Official Rocket business, now scram!' Curious, my father and I looked into it. News articles had started showing up around the time the suspicious black-and-red visitors did. It seems that some Pokémon have been reported missing by their Soulbonds, and all suspects have been described as wearing black uniforms with a large red 'R' on the chest. Little did we know, confronting the suspect visitors to Fuchsia caused a whole lot of craziness."

"Shortly after, these 'Rockets' began to show up in most every town and city in Kanto, causing all sorts of problems for everyone. Crime skyrocketed within a few days and you can't go anywhere in Kanto anymore without hearing about the Rockets. From robbing the PokéMarts, to taking Pokémon, to hostile takeovers, the Rockets have become a major crime syndicate all across Kanto, and we need strong, courageous Soulbonds to help take a stand, and clear the Rockets out of Kanto! Be careful, though; your Pokémon Soulbond is more valuable than you think..."

I'd be interested if you could pull that off but am busy with three RPs right now so yeah Anyway, best of luck for this RP.

EDIT: @Skymin or Magic Fox: I just submitted my RP now and have realized that I have written 'Unova: Dark Days' only nad ave not included the (M) (OOC+SU) part. Could you'll just edit the title and add that part?
Old December 15th, 2013 (06:53 PM).
part time demon hunter
Crystal Tier

Nature: Quirky
Quote originally posted by TD:
EDIT: @Skymin or Magic Fox: I just submitted my RP now and have realized that I have written 'Unova: Dark Days' only nad ave not included the (M) (OOC+SU) part. Could you'll just edit the title and add that part?
i'll try to remember this when i do submissions next! just let us know by VM or PM next time so its a little more easier to see for us. :)
Old December 15th, 2013 (07:14 PM).
Awesome Dragon
Silver Tier

Nature: Adamant
i'll try to remember this when i do submissions next! just let us know by VM or PM next time so its a little more easier to see for us.
Righty, I'll send you'll PMs.
Old December 17th, 2013 (01:11 PM). Edited December 17th, 2013 by Satan.EXE.
King of the Hell

Teaser 1
Spoiler:
SOULBOND

Teaser 2
Spoiler:
SOULBOND
A Mysterious Plan

And now, the conclusion to the teaser trilogy of SOULBOND!

Spoiler:
SOULBOND
A Twisted Kanto Journey

"Sparring is a very common interest in those with a Soulbond. It keeps us active, healthy, and strong. It's also taught us a lot about Soulbonds. When either the Human or the Pokemon takes damage, so does their Soulbond. When one faints, so does the other. One cannot live without the other; if one dies, so does the other. These Soulbonds are just as dangerous as they are helpful. The souls of the two are forever intertwined, and simply cannot be separated without endangering both of them."

"As for those without their Soulbonds..." Janine uncrossed her legs before crossing them again the opposite way. "All those that reported their Soulbond missing either grew too weak to move, fell into a coma, or died." Adjusting her scarf, Janine rested her hand over her Soulbond, Ariados. "Sometimes all three, in that order. We believe that this is what happens when a Soulbond is separated for too long, though no scientist is willing to test it, for good reason. Anyway, you're here because we need young warriors willing to risk it all to put an end to the Rockets. I assume you're ready to go, if you've come here."

Rising from her seat, Janine pointed a finger outward, toward the group of young Soulbonds before her. "We've gotten word that the Tower of the Dead has seen a lot of Rocket activity, so unless you have any objections, we head for Lavender town immediately! We have a long walk there, so you can get acquainted with one another on the way. For now, follow me to route 15."

Old December 17th, 2013 (01:32 PM).
Evil Cute Thing

There's still plenty of spaces available for 'Factions Divided' if you're willing to join up and take part in something epic. (2 demon places, 2 elves, 2 angels, and 1 beast places.)

Old December 17th, 2013 (02:11 PM).
Kariyai.
CS

Dusk could you spoiler that CSS or just post your teasers in plain text/plainer version? It's pretty hard on the eyes.
art by Churaka
Old December 17th, 2013 (02:19 PM).
King of the Hell

Gee, thaaaaaaaaanks.

Got it, cheif.
Old December 17th, 2013 (04:09 PM).
Steadfast Heart of Gold

Well sadly two of our members have resigned, and another one is mia so I need to...SHAMELESSLY ADVERTISE!

Sekirei: Wings of Fate Has plenty of room for new members! Take a look, get over there and join today!
It doesn't matter who is wrong and who is right
Old December 17th, 2013 (05:02 PM).
what a lovely day
Gold Tier

Send a message via Skype™ to Ozymandias
Would anyone be interested in a sandbox super hero or villain rp where the members have one central base but, can go out on their individual missions. Every once in a while the whole team would have to go on one large mission... Any takers?
Old December 17th, 2013 (07:25 PM).
Axel
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by Apollo:
Would anyone be interested in a sandbox super hero or villain rp where the members have one central base but, can go out on their individual missions. Every once in a while the whole team would have to go on one large mission... Any takers?
I'd be quite interested depending on how you made the plot :D
art by Churaka
Old December 17th, 2013 (10:47 PM).
Butcher of the Sands
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by Apollo:
Quite possibly. Would you set it in the Real World or in a fantasy place ala Gotham or Star City?
Old December 18th, 2013 (12:34 AM).
I was born for this x
CS

Nature: Naive
Sounds interesting, Apollo. I'm wondering the same thing as firelordyago (dat name!) though.

moderator:
x Roleplay Theatre

roleplays:
x Crossroads
x Digimon
x Titans
Old December 18th, 2013 (01:22 PM).
i'm beginning to see the light!!
Gold Tier

Alright, I've gave my RP idea about a robbery more thought over the past few days and I've developed it a little more, but I would still like some comments and feedback on it, since I want it to be perfect when I finish making it, hehe.

Anyway, the RP itself will now be called "The Cherry Pop Extravaganza", with the reasons I'll mention later. The setting will also change from a normal jewelry store into something a lot more complex like maybe a museum, where the main objective for the RPers would be to acquire an expensive piece to sell in the black market. Because of this the story itself will be much longer since participants will have to get past several guards and stuff before reaching the goal and then get out the museum alive. The amount of RPers in the roleplay will probably go down to around 6, since having a large amount of people to steal one thing and go unnoticed would probably be unrealistic. Actual plot-wise I haven't done much yet, but I plan to make a whole plan of a museum with marks to point out where the guards are so that you can plan your writing with full knowledge of the surroundings.

Now, why is it called "The Cherry Pop Extravaganza"? Because, as already said in my previous post I'll try having several GMs so that all of us can put in mini-twists and all sorts of other stuff so that the scenes are exciting and dynamic, because I want this RP to be short and action-filled. That's why it's an "extravaganza"; but what about the "Cherry Pop" bit? Because, to keep their identities safe from any intruders, all the robbers and anyone involved have assigned themselves with codenames relating to a food, and the robbery itself received the name "Cherry Pop", hence the name of the title.

I'm really excited for this concept and so I want it to go right, so any help or queries would be more than appreciated. Thanks for reading!

>> paired to gimmepie · last.fm · r.i.p atlantis · candy says... ·
Old December 18th, 2013 (01:25 PM).
King of the Hell

Listen Scyke'd. I'm really happy for ya, and imma let ya finish, but a title like "The Cherry Pop Extravaganza" might give some people the wrong idea.

Sponsored Links