The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 29th, 2012 (05:09 PM).
Hyperbolic

Im not asking for a script but how would i make a script so that i have a 3 way choice between the starters like in the beginning of every pokemon game?
Old March 29th, 2012 (07:16 PM). Edited March 29th, 2012 by Amachi.
Amachi
(。・ω・)ノ゙ Hello, I am Amachi-chan~♪

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperbolic View Post
Im not asking for a script but how would i make a script so that i have a 3 way choice between the starters like in the beginning of every pokemon game?
well your best answer would lie at looking at the actual scripts themselves for the event, but basically you want 3 givepokemon scripts, each with their own flag, so when you pick own you make the Pokeball disappear, and at the same time use setflag to prevent the player from getting the other Pokemon.

If you do a search you will most likely find an example of such a script on the forums as well.

I created a simple level script for my hack, following this tutorial.
Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
special 0x161
setvar 0x4033 0x1
release
end
Works fine the first time I enter the map, but not the second time. I realise that it's setvar 0x4033 0x1 that prevents it from repeating, but I want it to repeat. How do I do this and get the level script to function properly?
Old March 29th, 2012 (07:44 PM).
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amachi View Post
I created a simple level script for my hack, following this tutorial.
Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
special 0x161
setvar 0x4033 0x1
release
end
Works fine the first time I enter the map, but not the second time. I realise that it's setvar 0x4033 0x1 that prevents it from repeating, but I want it to repeat. How do I do this and get the level script to function properly?
The best way to get a level script to repeat is to use another one of the level script types open to you. Types 3 and 5 don't have to fulfil any variable conditions in order to activate (ie 4033 can be set to anything) and you can actually use a larger range of commands with them like checkflag. You can insert your level script as it stands now, with or without the setvar and it should be able to run smoothly and repeat when you re-enter the map.
Old March 29th, 2012 (08:42 PM).
Amachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
The best way to get a level script to repeat is to use another one of the level script types open to you. Types 3 and 5 don't have to fulfil any variable conditions in order to activate (ie 4033 can be set to anything) and you can actually use a larger range of commands with them like checkflag. You can insert your level script as it stands now, with or without the setvar and it should be able to run smoothly and repeat when you re-enter the map.
I just tried using those but the game freezes as soon as you enter the map (and the special isn't activated anyway).
Old March 29th, 2012 (09:05 PM).
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aablmd82 View Post
I need some help with the hidesprite and showsprite command.

I'm trying to set a var, and when that is set, have a sprite be shown and then do some stuff. However, when I put in the showsprite command, it doesn't work. I tried some testing using very basic hide/show sprite scripts, but it didn't work where I wanted to (Viridian City) I tried it in one of the houses in Viridian city and it worked just fine, but when I try to do it to a player in Viridian city, it has no effect.

I have all the person event #s lined up just fine, but it just won't work in Viridian City. Is there something else that I have to change to make it work?
Can you show us the scripts you are using for both Viridian City and the house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amachi View Post
I just tried using those but the game freezes as soon as you enter the map (and the special isn't activated anyway).
That's strange, I tried it using a 05 level script and the sprite changed perfectly fine.

I guess you could try using a second (almost) identical level script on any connecting maps that sets the variable back to 0x0 instead of 0x1. Its a bit more unwieldy and may not be suitable for what you're doing depending on your circumstances, but it should be able to work if you're unable to use 03 and 05 for some reason.
Old March 29th, 2012 (09:26 PM). Edited March 29th, 2012 by Amachi.
Amachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
That's strange, I tried it using a 05 level script and the sprite changed perfectly fine.

I guess you could try using a second (almost) identical level script on any connecting maps that sets the variable back to 0x0 instead of 0x1. Its a bit more unwieldy and may not be suitable for what you're doing depending on your circumstances, but it should be able to work if you're unable to use 03 and 05 for some reason.
Well now it doesn't freeze, but am I doing something wrong with the script then? I compile it as usual, go to the header tab, add a map script, select 3 or 5, paste my script offset into the box... and that's it, right?

Is it because I'm using A-Map 1.95?

I'd rather do it this way then going the unwieldy way, since I plan on using it a lot.

Edit: I see, 5 does work, but the surf sprite only appears after a battle or if I use something in the menu, which I suppose is a given. It's an odd fit, but I suppose I'll have to deal with it for now. Best not to get bogged down in this sort of thing, it's often quite discouraging.
Old March 29th, 2012 (09:58 PM).
Zilvereyes
Beginning Trainer

Send a message via Skype™ to Zilvereyes
Hello guys, I'm new to hacking pokemon, have some programming knowledge but I'm rusty and haven't been playing with ASM (though I have some limited basic knowledge from my programming C++, C#, LUA, ect, ect).

Was hoping someone could help me get started on how to actually apply some ASM to Pokemon Fire Red, any help would be appriciated.

Also, if you reply to me, send me a PM with a LINK to your post, so that I don't miss it.

Thanks in advance 8-)

Yours truly
Zilvereyes
Old March 30th, 2012 (02:24 AM).
aadritch

I dont know if this question was asked before but...
How can I make an NPC initially hidden?
Just like professor Oak in Pallet Town, he's initially hidden until you step before the grass.
Old March 30th, 2012 (01:41 PM).
Roffleman
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Bold
Hey guys,

I'm having a problem with the FR/LG National Dex enabling script. I've followed instructions as set out on a Youtube video by "Ez3OsO", yet when I come to talk to the guy, the game freezes.

Screenshot:

Here's the code I am using.
Spoiler:
#org 0x800000
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x10A
if 1 jump 0x800050
special 0x16F
setflag 0x10A
fanfare 0x13E
msgbox 0x800100
callstd 0x6
waitfanfare
release
end

#org 0x800050
msgbox 0x800070
callstd 0x6
release
end

#org 0x800070
= Like your new POKéDEX?

#org 0x800100
= Your POKéDEX was upgraded!

This is the link to the video tutorial that I followed;
http://youtu.be/9_RGwVHVIoY

If anyone could help me out here that'd be much appreciated!
Old March 30th, 2012 (03:54 PM).
Amachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffleman View Post
Hey guys,

I'm having a problem with the FR/LG National Dex enabling script. I've followed instructions as set out on a Youtube video by "Ez3OsO", yet when I come to talk to the guy, the game freezes.

Screenshot:

Here's the code I am using.
Spoiler:
#org 0x800000
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x10A
if 1 jump 0x800050
special 0x16F
setflag 0x10A
fanfare 0x13E
msgbox 0x800100
callstd 0x6
waitfanfare
release
end

#org 0x800050
msgbox 0x800070
callstd 0x6
release
end

#org 0x800070
= Like your new POKéDEX?

#org 0x800100

This is the link to the video tutorial that I followed;
http://youtu.be/9_RGwVHVIoY

If anyone could help me out here that'd be much appreciated!
Wow that video is from 2009. Have you got the most recent version of XSE?

anyway, this is how I'd write up the script.
Code:
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x10A
if 0x1 goto @end
special 0x16F
setflag 0x10A
fanfare 0x13E
msgbox @2 0x6
waitfanfare
release
end

#org @end
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Like your new POKéDEX?

#org @2
With XSE, you don't have to asign hex codes yourself, and rather than using hex codes to refer to different parts of the script, you can just use @whatever.

I suggest you read one of the script tutorials in the tutorials section. It's much better than watching a video.
Old March 30th, 2012 (09:55 PM).
Roffleman
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Bold
Thanks! I'm sorry but I'm a complete noob so would you be able to recommend a certain tutorial that'd help me get this done? Bear in mind I've never scripted ANYTHING prior to this, so I need the very basic nuts and bolts of it.
Old March 30th, 2012 (09:59 PM).
Amachi

We have a whole section dedicated to tutorials, but here's the one I used: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164276

You should really give it a read through first before trying anything.
Old March 31st, 2012 (04:04 PM). Edited March 31st, 2012 by ChikoritaMudkipz.
ChikoritaMudkipz
Beginning Trainer

So it's been a while since I've hacked, about 2-3 years, and the other day I decided to get into it again.

So I downloaded the tools I usually use, pokescript, and and advanced map, and went to town.

Problem is, the version I downloaded quits if you ask a yes/ no question to the player. Regardless of what they pick, the script ends.

So I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone have a download link to a working version of pokescript that isn't that stupid 4shared one.
2. Is pokescript out dated? Is there something else I should use that's similar?

I love to hack, but I'd hate to have to learn a whole new scripting language.

Anyway, thanks.
Oh, and added a youtube video so you all know I sort of know what I'm doing, and I'm not some noob that took fire red and turned all the houses into caves or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyfwplS1E6o
Old March 31st, 2012 (04:26 PM).
Quickster
Dream or Drop?

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikoritaMudkipz View Post
So it's been a while since I've hacked, about 2-3 years, and the other day I decided to get into it again.

So I downloaded the tools I usually use, pokescript, and and advanced map, and went to town.

Problem is, the version I downloaded quits if you ask a yes/ no question to the player. Regardless of what they pick, the script ends.

So I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone have a download link to a working version of pokescript that isn't that stupid 4shared one.
2. Is pokescript out dated? Is there something else I should use that's similar?

I love to hack, but I'd hate to have to learn a whole new scripting language.

Anyway, thanks.
Oh, and added a youtube video so you all know I sort of know what I'm doing, and I'm not some noob that took fire red and turned all the houses into caves or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyfwplS1E6o

You should deffinately learn XSE. HackMew made the program and it's fairly similar to PokeScript. You should get the latest version (though I dont know where... :I) and look at Diego's tutorial on it. Its a translated version of thethethethe's PokeScript tutorial.

But sometimes I want to come back to it...

Old March 31st, 2012 (04:46 PM).
ChikoritaMudkipz
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickster View Post
You should deffinately learn XSE. HackMew made the program and it's fairly similar to PokeScript. You should get the latest version (though I dont know where... :I) and look at Diego's tutorial on it. Its a translated version of thethethethe's PokeScript tutorial.
I have tried XSE before, but was never truly a fan of it, and ended up going back to pokescript.
Ideally I'd like to get the version of pokescript I need, but I will resort to XSE if I have to.

Thanks for the reply!
Old March 31st, 2012 (05:30 PM).
droomph
mmm gurl that 90s
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Quote:
I have tried XSE before, but was never truly a fan of it, and ended up going back to pokescript.
Ideally I'd like to get the version of pokescript I need, but I will resort to XSE if I have to.

Thanks for the reply!
I dunno why you would like Pokescript, but it's been out of commission since, like, three years.

Try PKSV. It's kinda the same with the development thing, but it's a lot easier to use, and it's a tiny bit less out of date.

But ultimately try XSE again, I'm sure you'll love it.

Also, remember to try Darthatron's Scripter when it does come out. I heard it's gonna be awwwwweesome

Old March 31st, 2012 (05:55 PM). Edited March 31st, 2012 by ChikoritaMudkipz.
ChikoritaMudkipz
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
I dunno why you would like Pokescript, but it's been out of commission since, like, three years.

Try PKSV. It's kinda the same with the development thing, but it's a lot easier to use, and it's a tiny bit less out of date.

But ultimately try XSE again, I'm sure you'll love it.

Also, remember to try Darthatron's Scripter when it does come out. I heard it's gonna be awwwwweesome
What's so great about XSE?
it seems exactly the same only it has a built in editor, and replaces things like "#raw 0x53" with "HideSprite" or something.

I guess I could give it a whirl, once again, thanks for the replies!
Anyone have a link to an XSE version guaranteed to work?
Old March 31st, 2012 (06:24 PM).
Quickster
Dream or Drop?

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
What's so great about XSE?
it seems exactly the same only it has a built in editor, and replaces things like "#raw 0x53" with "HideSprite" or something.

I guess I could give it a whirl, once again, thanks for the replies!
Anyone have a link to an XSE version guaranteed to work?
Well the only thing is that it is sorta simplified, plus a good amount of the community uses it so it has more support.

Ill try to find a link for you too.

EDIT:
In this post, DrFuji posted a link to the newest one.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...postcount=6670

But sometimes I want to come back to it...

Old March 31st, 2012 (06:38 PM).
ChikoritaMudkipz
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickster View Post
Well the only thing is that it is sorta simplified, plus a good amount of the community uses it so it has more support.

Ill try to find a link for you too.

EDIT:
In this post, DrFuji posted a link to the newest one.
Thanks! I often used thethethethe's tutorials, so I think the other guys tutorial would be useful to me, however you never left his full name, so sadly I'm having trouble finding it.

Do you have a link by chance?

Also very impressed by the community so far, thanks for all the help!
Old March 31st, 2012 (06:44 PM).
diegoisawesome
Please understand
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Thanks! I often used thethethethe's tutorials, so I think the other guys tutorial would be useful to me, however you never left his full name, so sadly I'm having trouble finding it.

Do you have a link by chance?

Also very impressed by the community so far, thanks for all the help!
diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial

My other resources:
My Website
diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
diegoisawesome's Miscellaneous Finds
The Ruins of Alph Puzzles
Old March 31st, 2012 (06:53 PM). Edited March 31st, 2012 by ChikoritaMudkipz.
ChikoritaMudkipz
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoisawesome View Post
Ah thank you! I hope you all download and enjoy my hack when it's released.

First XSE script and I'm having minor issues.
So I'm using a hide sprite command, however the sprite only disappears once you leave and re-enter the room. Is there a way to force an update without fading the screen or something?

If you want the code, it's here.

Code:
#dynamic 0x2DD100

#org @start
lock
msgbox @1 0x5
compare LASTRESULT 0x1
if 0x1 goto @take
release
end

#org @take
hidesprite 0x04
setflag 0x1007
msgbox @2 0x4
waitfanfare
closeonkeypress
setflag 0x829
special 0x16F
release
end

#org @1
= There's a Pokedex on\nthe ground.\pWould you like to pick it up?

#org @2
= [black_fr]You received a Pokedex!
facepalm
Figured it out.
Nevermind
Old April 2nd, 2012 (07:25 AM).
MrElephant
Pokemon Researcher

Nature: Serious
Hey everyone I have a quick question.
#org $script
faceplayer
message $talk
$talk 1 = Hey bro I am going to get \nsome lunch. Seeya later.
boxset 6
applymovement 7 $move
$move 1 ; #binary #raw 0x07 0x07 0x07 0x05 0x05 0x05 0x05 0x54
pausemove 0x0000
#raw 53
#raw 22
#raw 00
setflag 0x200
release
end
This script works, but after I talk to the sprite it freezes my game. He says what he is supposed to and everything, but then when I try to move my character/sprite it wont work. I only want this person that I talk to in the game to happen once. Can someone help me?

Lets see I like modding

Dragon Warrior, Lego Racers, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Mario Racing, Super Smash Bros Brawl, and Banjo.
Old April 2nd, 2012 (08:31 AM). Edited April 2nd, 2012 by redx2dth.
redx2dth
Metapods' got class!

Nature: Sassy
I'm having some trouble making a script. I want to basically count the steps a hero takes. I originally was going to use the safari's script but its a special and idk how to edit that. Ant advice?

Nevermind. I basically wanted to make it so a player has to occasionally eat something (items im inserting into the game) or they cant run untill they eat again.

I was going to use a step counter (like the safari zone uses) but it seems way too unnecessary for this type of thing.

I allready know how to check the statysbyte of the RTC so im using that instead. So now if a player doesnt eat every 3 hours the flag for running shoes is reset until they eat again.

Thanks anyways :D
Old April 2nd, 2012 (09:40 AM).
Jay the penguin

Is there a way to give a pokemon pkrs? If so what command is used?

My Hack!
Visit the thread!
Old April 2nd, 2012 (09:50 AM).
redx2dth
Metapods' got class!

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay the penguin View Post
Is there a way to give a pokemon pkrs? If so what command is used?
You have to use ASM.

(I didnt make this, JPAN did so credits go to him)

This code here allows you to cure, immunize and catch the pokemon virus. To make it work, put in var 0x8005 a number between 0x1 and 0xf to give it, 0x0 to cure but not immunize and 0x10 or higher to immunize the pokemon, preventing him to ever catch the virus again (even with this code)

ASM Code:
Spoiler:
b507 push {r0-r2, lr}
4806 ldr r0, 0x0203f414 ;Misc block data storage address
6800 ldr r0, [r0]
4906 ldr r1, 0x020370C2 ;var 0x8005, keeps pokerus new status
7802 ldrb r2, [r0]
2a0f cmp r2, 0xf ; if immune, do nothing
dc02 bgt end
8809 ldrh r1, [r1] ;time to remain, bigger than 10 to immunize
2910 cmp r1, 0x10
db00 blt infect