The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 29th, 2013 (07:43 AM).
QuartierGenerale

Hi all,

i still have problems with do something after trainerbattle...actually i have put my script into a script tile, so the problem of use a trainer itself is avoided.

this is the part of my script do some problem:

Quote:
#org 0x8742315
'-----------------------------------
trainerbattle 0x0 0x275 0x0 0x8186881 0x81BC163
clearflag 0x3C6
jump 0x8151004

#org 0x8151004
msgbox 0x8170D66
callstd MSG_SIGN ' Signpost-style message
compare PLAYERFACING LEFT
After the battle end nothing happen and the hero can do some other things...when return to the script tile the script resume from that point and the rest of the part happen...why?

NB. At the start of the script i call a lockall, and in the various exit point i always call a releaseall end

Thanks a lot
Old June 29th, 2013 (11:06 AM).
karatekid552
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuartierGenerale View Post
Hi all,

i still have problems with do something after trainerbattle...actually i have put my script into a script tile, so the problem of use a trainer itself is avoided.

this is the part of my script do some problem:

After the battle end nothing happen and the hero can do some other things...when return to the script tile the script resume from that point and the rest of the part happen...why?

NB. At the start of the script i call a lockall, and in the various exit point i always call a releaseall end

Thanks a lot
You need to set the script up to continue. I believe this should fix it:

#org @start
trainerbattle 0x1 0x275 0x0 @msg1 @msg2 @next
clearflag 0x3C6
jump @jump

#org @next
msgbox @msg

Also, judging by the fact that you are using callstd, that means you are using an old version of XSE that has some bugs. I would advise going and getting the version that Gamer2020 just put out about a month ago.

Paired with Simba
Old June 29th, 2013 (06:27 PM). Edited June 29th, 2013 by magistovolt.
magistovolt

This is a noob question but when I finish writing a script and then save it to the desktop I cant figure out how to insert the new script into the ROM, i have pressed compile script but the original still takes effect and is what shows up when the script is edited again.

Please help so I can continue hacking
Old June 29th, 2013 (07:35 PM).
karatekid552

Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552
Quote:
Originally Posted by magistovolt View Post
This is a noob question but when I finish writing a script and then save it to the desktop I cant figure out how to insert the new script into the ROM, i have pressed compile script but the original still takes effect and is what shows up when the script is edited again.

Please help so I can continue hacking
What script editor are you using? If you are using XSE, saving it unlinks it from the game and therefore won't compile. If you are using any type of dynamic insertion (#dynamic 0xXXXXXX, #org @start), it will put the script at a brand new location, not even touching the original.

If you are using Pokescript, don't come back until you are using PKSV or XSE. We don't serve Pokescript here anymore because it is very old and outdated and has a very different syntax.

Paired with Simba
Old June 29th, 2013 (08:27 PM).
chrunch

Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to chrunch
So this is the first time I've touched scripting in about a year or so, and I'm trying to do it off my memory and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x820
if 0x1 goto @2
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= You're getting your first Pokemon\ntoday, right? Good luck on your\ljourney, [player]!

#org @2
= Wow, you've came so far since you\ngot your Pokemon, [player]! I wish I\lcould be like you!
when I compile that it turns into this:
Code:
'---------------
#org 0x8039E5
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x820
if 0x1 goto 0x8803A4C
msgbox 0x88039FB MSG_NORMAL '"You're getting your first Pokemon\..."
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x803A4C
warpteleport2 0xE3 0xEB 0xB8 0xED00 0xE9E3
givecoins 0xD9EA
nop

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x8039FB
= You're getting your first Pokemon\ntoday, right? Good luck on your\ljourney, [player]!
I haven't done scripting in a long time so there are probably 20 mistakes in there but I'm confused as to why this is happening ;_;
Old June 29th, 2013 (08:50 PM).
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
So this is the first time I've touched scripting in about a year or so, and I'm trying to do it off my memory and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong:

Spoiler:
Code:
#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x820
if 0x1 goto @2
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1

#org @2
= Wow, you've came so far since you\ngot your Pokemon, [player]! I wish I\lcould be like you!

when I compile that it turns into this:
Spoiler:
Code:
'---------------
#org 0x8039E5
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x820
if 0x1 goto 0x8803A4C
msgbox 0x88039FB MSG_NORMAL '"You're getting your first Pokemon\..."
release
end

'---------------
#org 0x803A4C
warpteleport2 0xE3 0xEB 0xB8 0xED00 0xE9E3
givecoins 0xD9EA
nop

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x8039FB

I haven't done scripting in a long time so there are probably 20 mistakes in there but I'm confused as to why this is happening ;_;
It's not bad, you just have no msgbox calling the @2, which is why it is compiling as code instead of text.

Here:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x820
if 0x1 goto @2msgbox
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @2msgbox
msgbox @2 0x6
release
end

#org @1

#org @2

Paired with Simba
Old June 29th, 2013 (10:19 PM).
chrunch

Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
It's not bad, you just have no msgbox calling the @2, which is why it is compiling as code instead of text.

Here:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x820
if 0x1 goto @2msgbox
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @2msgbox
msgbox @2 0x6
release
end

#org @1

#org @2
Alright, thanks for your help. I knew I'd forgotten something obvious. :P
Old June 30th, 2013 (01:57 AM).
Bug.Catcher.Nakata
Alert but not Alarmed

Hi everyone,
I'm new to scripting, and I've been reading lots of tutorials and picking a few things up. I'm having a problem actually inserting a script onto the map and getting it to run. I can get people to say things/give me pokemon, set flags, and all of that, but the game freezes whenever I try to run even the simplest script event (by that I mean, in advancemaps where you place the 'S' on the screen). I'm using XSE. I even tried copy-pasting other scripts from the game and it still freezes. It compiles and is added to the ROM with no problems.

It seems that most (all?) of the tutorials start from the point of being able to make scripts work, and then explain what to type, which is very helpful, but not exactly the help that I need
Thanks in advance
Old June 30th, 2013 (02:18 AM).
QuartierGenerale

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
You need to set the script up to continue. I believe this should fix it:

#org @start
trainerbattle 0x1 0x275 0x0 @msg1 @msg2 @next
clearflag 0x3C6
jump @jump

#org @next
msgbox @msg

Also, judging by the fact that you are using callstd, that means you are using an old version of XSE that has some bugs. I would advise going and getting the version that Gamer2020 just put out about a month ago.
I'm using PKSV, not XSE...

anyway i think your solution could be the right way, so thanks and i'm going to try
Old June 30th, 2013 (03:19 AM).
magistovolt

@karatekid552

I using XSE and it wont let me compile the script to write it to the rom
Old June 30th, 2013 (04:17 AM).
chrunch

Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug.Catcher.Nakata View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm new to scripting, and I've been reading lots of tutorials and picking a few things up. I'm having a problem actually inserting a script onto the map and getting it to run. I can get people to say things/give me pokemon, set flags, and all of that, but the game freezes whenever I try to run even the simplest script event (by that I mean, in advancemaps where you place the 'S' on the screen). I'm using XSE. I even tried copy-pasting other scripts from the game and it still freezes. It compiles and is added to the ROM with no problems.

It seems that most (all?) of the tutorials start from the point of being able to make scripts work, and then explain what to type, which is very helpful, but not exactly the help that I need
Thanks in advance
You need to change a few things so that your script tiles work:

This is how I have all mine, you just need to replace the 0000 with those numbers. ;)
Old June 30th, 2013 (05:47 AM).
magistovolt

I am using XSE and Im having problems with this script, it lets me change what the words people say like changing Bug Catcher to Water Catcher but the script doesnt change the game

'---------------
#org 0x800000
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x10A
if 1 jump 0x800050
special 0x16F
setflag 0x10A
fanfare 0x13E
callstd 0x6
waitfanfare
release
end

#org 0x800050
callstd 0x6
release
end

#org 0x800070
= Like your new POKéDEX?

#org 0x800100
= Your POKéDEX was upgraded!
Old June 30th, 2013 (07:08 AM). Edited June 30th, 2013 by karatekid552.
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug.Catcher.Nakata View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance
I wrote a whole tutorial on this. Google 'Flags, Vars, & Script Tiles'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
You need to change a few things so that your script tiles work:

This is how I have all mine, you just need to replace the 0000 with those numbers.
You should check out that tutorial too because the var you are using in this picture is highly unsafe, unless you managed to use ASM to repoint vars 5000 and up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magistovolt View Post
I am using XSE and Im having problems with this script, it lets me change what the words people say like changing Bug Catcher to Water Catcher but the script doesnt change the game

'---------------
#org 0x800000
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x10A
if 1 jump 0x800050
special 0x16F
setflag 0x10A
fanfare 0x13E
callstd 0x6
waitfanfare
release
end

#org 0x800050
callstd 0x6
release
end

#org 0x800070
= Like your new POKéDEX?

#org 0x800100
= Your POKéDEX was upgraded!
As I said earlier, if you click save, XSE unlinks from the ROM and anything you compile after that won't compile to the rom.

To repair this, go File->Open, and open the ROM. A new tab will open. Copy and paste the script you saved into there and then compile. Now your changes should be made.

Remember, if your new script is longer, you have to repoint or you will overwrite other data.

Paired with Simba
Old June 30th, 2013 (03:46 PM).
Bug.Catcher.Nakata
Alert but not Alarmed

Holy flags, thanks so much both of you. That's a really wonderful tutorial Karate Kid, by the way. I changed "unknown" to 3 and it stopped freezing. It's really great to know which flags and vars to use, as well. I really appreciate the enormous volume of work that some of you guys (JPAN, davidJcobb, and I'm sure there are many others) which make this kind of messing around possible for the rest of us!
Old July 1st, 2013 (02:13 AM).
coolking49

Nature: Adamant
Hey guys, I need help making this script work. its my first time working with movements in a script.
Spoiler:

#dynamic 0x1888BB
#org @start
lock
applymovement 0xFF @move
checkflag 0x202
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 0x6
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER 0x88B9D37
release
end

#org @done
msgbox @2 0x6
applymovement 0xFF @move3
warp 0x1 0x5 0x2 0x0 0x0
release
end

#org @move
#raw 0x3

#org 0x88B9D37
#raw 0x9

#org @move3
#raw 0xC

#org @2
= text

#org @1
= text

None of the movements work. The player goes on the tile, doesn't face his right, hears the text, and then the game freezes. Its Fire Red, if that's relevant. Could someone please tell me how to get movements to work? Thanks!
Old July 1st, 2013 (03:30 AM).
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolking49 View Post
Hey guys, I need help making this script work. its my first time working with movements in a script.
Spoiler:

#dynamic 0x1888BB
#org @start
lock
applymovement 0xFF @move
checkflag 0x202
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @done
msgbox @2 0x6
warp 0x1 0x5 0x2 0x0 0x0
release
end

#org @move
#raw 0x3

#org 0x88B9D37
#raw 0x9

#org @move3
#raw 0xC

#org @2
= text

#org @1
= text

None of the movements work. The player goes on the tile, doesn't face his right, hears the text, and then the game freezes. Its Fire Red, if that's relevant. Could someone please tell me how to get movements to work? Thanks!
Movement Raws need to be terminated in #raw 0xFE, like this:

Code:
#dynamic 0x1888BB
#org @start
lock
applymovement 0xFF @move
checkflag 0x202
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 0x6
applymovement MOVE_PLAYER @move4
release
end

#org @done
msgbox @2 0x6
warp 0x1 0x5 0x2 0x0 0x0
release
end

#org @move
#raw 0x3
#raw 0xFE

#org @move4
#raw 0x9
#raw 0xFE

#org @move3
#raw 0xC
#raw 0xFE

#org @2
= text

#org @1
= text

Paired with Simba
Old July 1st, 2013 (03:32 AM). Edited July 1st, 2013 by DrFuji.
DrFuji
Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolking49 View Post
Spoiler:

#dynamic 0x1888BB
#org @start
lock
applymovement 0xFF @move
checkflag 0x202
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @done
msgbox @2 0x6
warp 0x1 0x5 0x2 0x0 0x0
release
end

#org @move
#raw 0x3

#org 0x88B9D37
#raw 0x9

#org @move3
#raw 0xC

#org @2
= text

#org @1
= text

Your movements aren't working because they haven't been terminated properly. Once you've indicating how the OWs should move you need to tell the game that they have finished. You do this by adding '#raw 0xFE' to the end of their movement pointers.

There are also some parts of your script that could be improved for one reason or another, here's what I believe your script should look like:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000 // Fire Red has a lot of free space from 0x720000 onwards, if you use an earlier pointer then you risk overwriting things if you try to expand things. Most people just start from 0x800000 anyway.

#org @start
lock
applymovement 0xFF @move
checkflag 0x202
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 0x6
applymovement 0xFF @move2 // When you are inserting a completely new script it is best to use dynamic pointers rather than static ones unless you are purposely try to overwrite something
release
end

#org @done
msgbox @2 0x6
waitmovement 0x0 // Without this command the script will end before @move3 has a chance to be finished
warp 0x1 0x5 0x2 0x0 0x0
release
end // These can be deleted as the script will immediately end when the warp is activated

#org @move
#raw 0x3
#raw 0xFE // This is needed to tell the game that the movement is finished

#org @move2
#raw 0x9
#raw 0xFE

#org @move3
#raw 0xC
#raw 0xFE

#org @2
= text

#org @1
= text
EDIT: plz stop ninjaing me karatekid ;_;
Old July 1st, 2013 (03:42 PM). Edited July 1st, 2013 by silviog.s.
silviog.s

Game: Pokémon FireRed Version 1.0
Editor: Pokescript

Hey guys, I need help with this script right here:

Spoiler:
#org $start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x200
if 0x01 goto $already
message $one
$one 1 = Hello. Do you want this\nAURORA TICKET?\pWith it you can go to\nBIRTH ISLAND!
boxset 5
compare 0x800D 0x0001
if 0x01 goto $yes
message $two
$two 1 = Oh, that's to bad...
boxset 6
release
end

#org $yes
giveitem 0x173 0x01
message $here
$here 1 = Here it go!
boxset 6
setflag 0x200
clearflag 0x2F1
release
end

#org $already
message $three
$three 1 = Hey! I Already gave you the\nAURORA TICKET!
boxset 6
release
end

It's for getting the Aurora Ticket and clearing the flag, so that the sailor on Vermilion City port will let me go to Birth Island. (Or Navel Rock if I change the flag to "0x2F0" and giveitem to "0x172", I think.)
The script itself works alright, but the sailor does not recognizes it.
What am I doing wrong? Could someone please help me? Thanks in advance!

SilvioG.S
Old July 1st, 2013 (03:50 PM).
SacredMurathJohn
ROM Hacking

Nature: Hasty
Script editor: XSE
How can I make the event continue after losing a trainer battle? I mean, how not to make respawn to PokéCenter when I'm lost?

Play as a TEAM ROCKET GRUNT
Now BETA 0.3 available.
Old July 1st, 2013 (03:52 PM).
GoGoJJTech
http://GoGoJJTech.com (WIP!)
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
trainerbattle 0x9 or trainer battle 0x3(?) I believe. there's a thread around here that goes over these.
Old July 1st, 2013 (04:03 PM).
SacredMurathJohn
ROM Hacking

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
trainerbattle 0x9 or trainer battle 0x3(?) I believe. there's a thread around here that goes over these.
0x9 works but contains a help text (That Prof. Oak thing.), if I could remove this help thing... 0x3 contains only defeat text. Still respawns.

Play as a TEAM ROCKET GRUNT
Now BETA 0.3 available.
Old July 1st, 2013 (06:26 PM). Edited July 1st, 2013 by karatekid552.
karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredMurathJohn View Post
0x9 works but contains a help text (That Prof. Oak thing.), if I could remove this help thing... 0x3 contains only defeat text. Still respawns.
Jambo51 says that it can be removed through battle scripting. Don't bug him about it, but when you get good enough at hacking, start learning battle scripting and then remove the lines of text.

To find the script, work backwards from the offset given of the text you found searching in A-trainer. It may be a while before you fully understand what I mean, but when you do, you are ready to remove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
0x3 continues the script after battle like the trainerbattle was a normal command. It still respwans you if you lose, but it is used in the E4 script to continue on. 0x9 does work, but you have to listen to my above response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviog.s View Post
Game: Pokémon FireRed Version 1.0
Editor: Pokescript

Hey guys, I need help with this script right here:

Spoiler:
#org $start
lock
faceplayer
checkflag 0x1200
if 0x01 goto $already
message $one
$one 1 = Hello. Do you want this\nAURORA TICKET?\pWith it you can go to\nBIRTH ISLAND!
boxset 5
compare 0x800D 0x0001
if 0x01 goto $yes
message $two
$ 1 = Oh, that's to bad...
boxset 6
release
end

#org $yes
giveitem 0x173 0x01
message $here
$here 1 = Here it go!
boxset 6
setflag 0x1200
clearflag 0x2F1
release
end

#org $already
message $three
$three 1 = Hey! I Already gave you the\nAURORA TICKET!
boxset 6
release
end

It's for getting the Aurora Ticket and clearing the flag, so that the sailor on Vermilion City port will let me go to Birth Island. (Or Navel Rock if I change the flag to "0x2F0" and giveitem to "0x172", I think.)
The script itself works alright, but the sailor does not recognizes it.
What am I doing wrong? Could someone please help me? Thanks in advance!

SilvioG.S
Sorry, but people aren't going to help you much since none of the accomplished hackers use Pokescript. It is too old.

However, after you switch to a new editor like XSE or PKSVUI, Google 'Flags, Vars, & Script Tiles'. You made a major error in flag choice, so read my whole tutorial to find out why.

Paired with Simba
Old July 3rd, 2013 (01:02 PM). Edited July 3rd, 2013 by Wasserblau.
Wasserblau

Hello dear poke comunity,

my name is Wasserblau, i m from germany. i try to create my own pokemon edition based on the firered edition (GER). at the start of the game you shouldnt get a startpokemon by choosing one of the three. i want too make it able to self-catch a starterpokemon by throwing a Starterball based on the Masterball. the code for making this is based on the safari zone scriptcode.
it doesent work how it should?
i won´t 30 safari balls and 500 steps. i want unlimited steps and just 1 "Starterball".

Game: Fire red German
Script:

#org
special 0xCD
setvar 0x406E 0x2
waitspecial
storeitem 0x0 0x2500
hidebox 0x1 0xF 0x0 0x22
#raw 0xEB
addvar 0x908 0x6B04
end

It would be greatfull if someone of you can help me.
Old July 3rd, 2013 (05:14 PM). Edited July 3rd, 2013 by LocksmithArmy.
LocksmithArmy
Mew!

I have done a very similar script for my "Ultra Violet Version" hack although I left the safari game mechanics alone...

making a new ball (starterball) I dont see being too difficult...(make a new item with all the same data as the masterball except the image, name, and description... done) but by starting the safari game it automatically gives you 30 safari balls... you will need to change the safari game mechanics...

now to get unlimited steps I simply made the game start over after every battle... this gave the player another 600 steps and what are the chances of them not getting into a battle after 600 steps... I also had a few flag checks so IF they tried to not get into a battle for 600 steps the safari game would reset aswell... although i dont think anyone has ever tried (other than myself to test it)

if your firered WONT have a real safari game than you should not have an issue altering the safari mechanics... if you want to keep the real safar aswell as your own... you will need some ASM scripting im sure... I cannot help past that.

here is the script I used to restart the game(also the same script that ENDS the game if you caught a pokemon, keeping the player from catching the possible 30 pokemon):
Spoiler:

its a level script "On entering map/on menu close [05]"

#org @start
countpokemon
compare LASTRESULT 0x0
if > call @caught ' Larger Than
compare LASTRESULT 0x0
if == call @ddntcatch ' Equal To
end

#org @caught
special 0xCE
setvar 0x406E 0x0
setvar 0x4055 0x3
warp 0x4 0x5 0xFF 0x4 0x2
end

#org @ddntcatch
special 0xCD
release
end

Of course you will need to change quite a bit to match your game (vars and warp) but you get the jist, after every battle this script will run

if the player does walk 600 steps without fighting the safari game warps them to the real safari game map (in fuchsia city) so I had to go there and add another small script to get the game back started.

here it is:

Spoiler:

On map [11,0] simply replace the only map script with something like this:

#org @start
countpokemon
compare LASTRESULT 0x0
if > call @OLD [11,0] MAP SCRIPT OFFSET ' Larger Than
compare LASTRESULT 0x0
if == call @nopkmn ' Equal To
end

#org @nopkmn
lockall
textcolor BLUE
msgbox @talk ' OAK: Have you caught...
callstd MSG_NOCLOSE ' Non-closing message
closemsg
applymovement PLAYER @walk ' walk_up end
pauseevent 0x0
special 0xCD
setvar 0x406E 0x2
warp 0x4 0x6 0xFF 0x19 0x1C
releaseall
end

#org @talk
= OAK: Have you caught a POK\eMON?\nGet back in there...

#org @walk
M walk_up end

Again, your vars and warp will need to be based on your game and how it plays out... but hopefully you get the idea.
also to make this believable, the room the player goes in to start your "catch your own starter" even should look exactly the same as the safari starting room down to the first 7 rows of tiles or so... after that it can be different... I implore you to check out ultraviolet so you can see the scripts aswell as the maps and such to get the scope of using the existing safari event in a new location.

I hope this helped man
Old July 5th, 2013 (10:17 AM).
Wasserblau

thank you very much
thank you very much
thank you very much
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links