The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 11th, 2013, 03:00 AM
zebaadee
Unhatched Egg

I'm a real noob at scripting and hacking in general.. so I'm struggling to understand this..

I have XSE, and I made a script exactly like yours (on the first post of the thread.. the simple message script) and I have used the free space finder in Advance Map.. but I don't know what to do now?
Old May 12th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadowraze
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaadee View Post
I'm a real noob at scripting and hacking in general.. so I'm struggling to understand this..

I have XSE, and I made a script exactly like yours (on the first post of the thread.. the simple message script) and I have used the free space finder in Advance Map.. but I don't know what to do now?
You don't need A-map to find the offset for you XSE automatically does that.

So what you got to do is put "dynamic 0x800000" at the start of your script and then compile the script into your rom.

To compile first you have to load your rom go to file and then open or simply ctrl+o. AAfter that locate your rom and Ta-Da you rom is loaded.

After that try and locate the compile button it has the icon of a gear next to the save icon so press it. After that a window appears and copy the offset of the very first pointer there. After that goto A-map and paste it to the npc or S-tile script offset box and it should be working perfectly.
Old May 19th, 2013, 10:25 AM
red5677
Non-Existent Elite Four Champ

Nature: Brave
I need help with a starter event, is there a flag that does that, because I want a local gym leader to do it instead of professor oak. (Fire Red) Can anyone please help me with that?
Old May 19th, 2013, 10:54 AM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Nature: Calm
Do you mean the opening intro with Professor Oak?
Old May 19th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Awkward.
#britanna

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by red5677 View Post
I need help with a starter event, is there a flag that does that, because I want a local gym leader to do it instead of professor oak. (Fire Red) Can anyone please help me with that?
The starter event isn't controlled by a flag (flags are involved though). It's just an extremely advanced code written as a level script. Go into Oak's Lab on AdvanceMap (4.3), click on Header at the top, go to the Map Script section, hit the Up arrow on the Script no. box until you get to the third script, open it with whatever coding thing you're using, and there's your starter code.
Old May 19th, 2013, 08:26 PM
red5677

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBottomz View Post
The starter event isn't controlled by a flag (flags are involved though). It's just an extremely advanced code written as a level script. Go into Oak's Lab on AdvanceMap (4.3), click on Header at the top, go to the Map Script section, hit the Up arrow on the Script no. box until you get to the third script, open it with whatever coding thing you're using, and there's your starter code.
So basically if I copy that I can paste it onto whoever I wantz? Gee Thanks! I've been looking for that everywhere! And can I just edit the message of the rivals and the professor to my needs or....?

Last edited by red5677; May 19th, 2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Extra Questions
Old May 19th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Quote:
So basically if I copy that I can paste it onto whoever I wantz? Gee Thanks! I've been looking for that everywhere! And can I just edit the message of the rivals and the professor to my needs or....?
You have to repoint the new text if the newer one is longer than the previous one.
Old May 19th, 2013, 08:52 PM
red5677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowraze View Post
You have to repoint the new text if the newer one is longer than the previous one.
So I actually just tried copy and pasting it, but it doesn't work. I put the same offset onto the person and when I talk to him nothing happens. I wanted to edit the script so that the first gym leader gives me the pokemon and goes inside so i can battle him....... I know that's too much to ask but I'm just putting it out there...
Old May 19th, 2013, 09:09 PM
LaDestitute
Razor Sharp

Why not just change the OW sprite and change the text using XSE's text adjuster?
Old May 19th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Shadowraze
Love and Peace

Quote:
So I actually just tried copy and pasting it, but it doesn't work. I put the same offset onto the person and when I talk to him nothing happens. I wanted to edit the script so that the first gym leader gives me the pokemon and goes inside so i can battle him....... I know that's too much to ask but I'm just putting it out there...

Why won't you read the whole tutorial and try the things being taught on the way so you will understand it better.

Also I think it will be better if you don't edit that script and rewrite the script and just make that old script as a guide into making your script.
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:03 AM
red5677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowraze View Post

Why won't you read the whole tutorial and try the things being taught on the way so you will understand it better.

Also I think it will be better if you don't edit that script and rewrite the script and just make that old script as a guide into making your script.
You don't think I read it lol? I couldn't find anything on the starter pokemon event so I asked. Plus I'm really having a hard time understanding all of the flags and stuff.
Old May 25th, 2013, 02:38 AM
Marty152
Unhatched Egg

I have a question.

I made this code to stop the player from continuing without a pokedex in pokemon Ruby.
This happens when he is standing on a certain tile. I've changed the var number to 4050 in a-map and I tried the unknown to 300, but there only fit 2 numbers, but when I look at other script tiles with applymovement, they use var value 0003, so I did that too, but my script will not activate on the tile. Here is my code:

#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
checkflag 0x801
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 0x6
applymovement 0x07 @move1
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @2 0x6
applymovement 0xFF @move2
applymovement 0x07 @move3
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @3 0x6
applymovement 0x07 @move4
waitmovement 0x0
release
end

#org @done
release
end

#org @move1
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0xFE

#org @move2
#raw 0x09
#raw 0x00
#raw 0xFE

#org @move3
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0x01
#raw 0xFE

#org @move4
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x02
#raw 0xFE

#org @1
= Waaaaaaaaaaiiiiit!!!!!

#org @2
= You cannot go there

#org @3
= Get a pokedex first

If anyone could help me, that'd be great
Old May 25th, 2013, 02:49 AM
robin22gongon

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to robin22gongon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty152 View Post
I have a question.

I made this code to stop the player from continuing without a pokedex in pokemon Ruby.
This happens when he is standing on a certain tile. I've changed the var number to 4050 in a-map and I tried the unknown to 300, but there only fit 2 numbers, but when I look at other script tiles with applymovement, they use var value 0003, so I did that too, but my script will not activate on the tile. Here is my code:

Code:
#dynamic 0x800000
#org @start
checkflag 0x801
if 0x1 goto @done
msgbox @1 0x6
applymovement 0x07 @move1
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @2 0x6
applymovement 0xFF @move2
applymovement 0x07 @move3
waitmovement 0x0
msgbox @3 0x6
applymovement 0x07 @move4
waitmovement 0x0
release 
end

#org @done
release
end

#org @move1
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0xFE

#org @move2
#raw 0x09
#raw 0x00
#raw 0xFE

#org @move3
#raw 0x0A
#raw 0x01
#raw 0xFE

#org @move4
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x0B
#raw 0x02
#raw 0xFE

#org @1
= Waaaaaaaaaaiiiiit!!!!!

#org @2
= You cannot go there

#org @3
= Get a pokedex first
If anyone could help me, that'd be great
First thing I noticed, there is no lock effect. Does it freeze? A script can't release if it doesn't have anything locked therefore resulting in a freeze. And you did put 0300 in the unknown right? Not 300? Oh, and try not putting anything in the unknown box.

NOTE: In the screenshot, he was using A-Map 1.92 so maybe you are using 1.95 so you see only two digits fit there. Try putting 00 on the unknown field but fill out the Var Number Section with 4050.
Old May 25th, 2013, 03:11 AM
Marty152
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
First thing I noticed, there is no lock effect. Does it freeze? A script can't release if it doesn't have anything locked therefore resulting in a freeze. And you did put 0300 in the unknown right? Not 300? Oh, and try not putting anything in the unknown box.

NOTE: In the screenshot, he was using A-Map 1.92 so maybe you are using 1.95 so you see only two digits fit there. Try putting 00 on the unknown field but fill out the Var Number Section with 4050.
The game doesn't freeze, I can just walk over the script tile, but the script itself won't trigger. I tried the 0300. I"m also using 1.95 and I tried what you said, but it does not do anything in the game, I can still walk over the script tile...
Old May 25th, 2013, 03:22 AM
robin22gongon

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to robin22gongon
Quote:
The game doesn't freeze, I can just walk over the script tile, but the script itself won't trigger. I tried the 0300. I"m also using 1.95 and I tried what you said, but it does not do anything in the game, I can still walk over the script tile...
As I said put a lock at the beginning of your script. And also, download 1.92. It's less buggy and that way you can follow the tutorial.
Old May 25th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Marty152
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
As I said put a lock at the beginning of your script. And also, download 1.92. It's less buggy and that way you can follow the tutorial.
I downloaded 1.92 and put the lock in it, but I can still walk normally over the tile. Even when I changed unknown to 0300. Just tried to give the same script to a person and the script does run when I talk to her, but still not on the tile...
Old May 25th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Awkward.
#britanna

Nature: Sassy
Quote:
I downloaded 1.92 and put the lock in it, but I can still walk normally over the tile. Even when I changed unknown to 0300. Just tried to give the same script to a person and the script does run when I talk to her, but still not on the tile...
I compiled your script in a fresh ROM and tested it myself. For some reason, it really doesn't work. I tested both with the variable / unknown and without, and neither works. Sorry to burst the bubble, but if it only works on a person event, that's what you should do.
Old May 25th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Marty152
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBottomz View Post
I compiled your script in a fresh ROM and tested it myself. For some reason, it really doesn't work. I tested both with the variable / unknown and without, and neither works. Sorry to burst the bubble, but if it only works on a person event, that's what you should do.
Okay, thanks for trying. Guess I'll put an annoying group of toddlers there, which want to see a pokedex.
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:59 PM
RCCola
Unhatched Egg

Is it possible to overwrite old scripts? It seems that every time I make a small adjustment to a script, I have to compile it to a different offset. This is bothering me because I'm worried about eating up a ton of free space with constant editing.
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:17 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCola View Post
Is it possible to overwrite old scripts? It seems that every time I make a small adjustment to a script, I have to compile it to a different offset. This is bothering me because I'm worried about eating up a ton of free space with constant editing.
you can manually delete them by using a hex editor. go to your script's address and rewrite 'em.
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
you can manually delete them by using a hex editor. go to your script's address and rewrite 'em.
Doesn't XSE allow this by "delete @offset" command or something?
I'm not sure as I haven't scripted for a while...
Old June 2nd, 2013, 02:34 AM
Redzepon
Unhatched Egg

Great tutorial, only one small problem.
when i do the first script, with the msgbox @1 0x6
and set it on a script and talk to it ingame, the messagebox won't appear (but the lock and faceplayer do work)
Old June 2nd, 2013, 03:32 AM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redzepon View Post
Great tutorial, only one small problem.
when i do the first script, with the msgbox @1 0x6
and set it on a script and talk to it ingame, the messagebox won't appear (but the lock and faceplayer do work)
We can't really help you with that, unless you post your script here for us to see what is wrong. :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
Doesn't XSE allow this by "delete @offset" command or something?
I'm not sure as I haven't scripted for a while...
I haven't tried that code before, so I have no idea. :3
Old June 2nd, 2013, 03:37 AM
Redzepon
Unhatched Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
We can't really help you with that, unless you post your script here for us to see what is wrong. :3

I haven't tried that code before, so I have no idea. :3
Doesn't matter, i used emerald, and in emerald you have to do callstd 0x2 instead of release, i fixed it myself. but thank you anyway
Old June 6th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Zemekis
The Booze Cruise

Thanks so much for this tutorial Diego!!!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links