Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

View Poll Results: Does your copy of g/s/c still work?
Gold working 4 26.67%
Silver working 2 13.33%
Crystal working 4 26.67%
Gold broken 5 33.33%
Silver broken 9 60.00%
Crystal broken 2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 11th, 2014 (01:09 PM). Edited December 12th, 2014 by Zehn.
Zehn
The best
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Does any still have there old gold/silver/crystal? Did you have to:
Replace battery?
Keep the dead battery?
Chuck the game away?

Personally I never owned a copy of gold/silver/crystal since i was a year old at the time I only got into pokemon around d/p/p but I'm interested at how many copy's survived the battery purge (chucking the game due to the battery)

Comment your stories bellow

Edit:
How many people want there battery changed? Even though the save file will be gone
#298 Azurill
Supporter Collab January 2015
http://tinyurl.com/ViewProfileZehn
Well... I see you
Old December 11th, 2014 (02:11 PM).
Oreanna

Nature: Hardy
I still got my Silver game, but the battery is long dead. I miss my level 80 Slowbro...

I support Pokemon Liquid Crystal!
Old December 11th, 2014 (04:34 PM).
Ryumie

Nature: Timid
When I read about the battery problem I had left 3 or 2 years. As I didn't play it since 2003 I didn't care that much, but in 2010 I tried to play and there was nothing, only the things I had in Stadium boxes. I wish I had fixed it, at least I'd have my poké, good memories of that time, long time working on them, miss this so much. :/
Old December 11th, 2014 (04:58 PM).
Peitharchia
& having to receive it

I still do have my Crystal cartridge, but unfortunately, I don't believe I have any handheld console to test it on, so I can't precisely say if its battery has run dry or not. However, last time I had played this game, which was nearly four years ago, things seemed to have been working perfectly fine.
Old December 12th, 2014 (07:19 AM).
Judge Mandolore Shepard
Spectre Agent
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
I still have my copy of Silver. Course with its dead battery, I just have it sit in its box. I miss playing since it had the superior Game Corners in Johto and Kanto. As in Game Corners that had slots.

OSO STRONG
Old December 12th, 2014 (01:02 PM).
Sven
Pure Power

Nature: Relaxed
Im not really the best guy for tools handling, but I managed to replace batteries successfully on my own :D

I had Yellow and Crystal. When I finished, I was aware of the possibility of the battery dying. Hopefully my Yellow save file will last long enough for me to get the save thingy and save it, replace it and load it, so there's that. I did however change the battery on Crystal before playing it and hopefully it will live for a long time.

I suggest everyone to change the batteries. there is nothing like going back to old games and seeing your own team, and it's not THAT hard so yeah, you should definitely do that :D

"The future you see is the future you get."
Old December 12th, 2014 (02:38 PM).
R.F.
Badass Overlord

Nature: Serious
The death of the internal battery in my Gold version unfortunately caused me losing tons of Lvl. 100 and shiny Pokes. I get sad whenever I think about it.
Old December 12th, 2014 (11:14 PM).
Imperator161

The batteries on all of my second gen games died several years ago. I bought new batteries to replace them, but never got around to doing so, and at this point, I don't know what the battery life on those batteries is like, so I'm not sure I'll ever bother. Gold died a little less than 6 years after I got it, Crystal died about 6-7 years after I got it, and Silver lasted a bit longer (closer to 9 years?). I played Gold the most, by far, Crystal second, and Silver the least.

I think I have my Gold save file backed up on a Mega Memory Card (assuming the back up worked), so I could probably get it back onto a cartridge if I replaced the battery, but I'm not sure I would want to bother.
Old December 22nd, 2014 (08:27 AM).
wolfboyft

DUDES.

Google backing up gameboy saves to PC...

Or whatever... cuz you can use a mega memory card and an EMS cartridge to do whatever you want. And you can also use the EMS cartridge to play GB rom hacks like dark energy on an ACTUAL gameboy.
Old December 23rd, 2014 (02:38 AM).
Galmar
Banned

Nature: Naive
I had Gold and Silver, but the battery died on both of them, and I never replaced them.
Old December 23rd, 2014 (03:12 AM).
Gilver
Master O' War
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Gilver
I owned all three games, and all three have succumbed to a dead battery. I tossed around the idea to have the batteries change, but such talk never moved beyond just that, mere talk. I'm grateful that they've since brought out remakes, but I do miss Crystal so. And the few Pokémon I managed to level to 100 on that game. Good times.

Alpha Sapphire//Omega Ruby; 3DS FC: 3067-4933-1017
"Existence is a slippery slope, more attractive from afar than when closely examined"
Gilver's Trade Reviews - Gilver's Favourite Randomized Pokémon

Old December 23rd, 2014 (08:55 PM).
piplup1036

I bought them all used at a gamestore back in 05 with dead batteries. Went online after finding out they were dead and got the tools needed to replace them and with the help of my grandparents on soldiering, I was able to replace the batteries. I also bought a gameboy memory card to back up my saves a year later.
Old December 24th, 2014 (05:46 PM).
magicalgirlj
wheee

Nature: Jolly
The battery dies in Silver version a long time ago. I have no idea on how to replace these batteries. At least there is Heart Gold and Soul Silver for the DS
Old December 24th, 2014 (05:55 PM).
Mochi

Nature: Sassy
I've had all three games at some point, and replaced a battery in Gold version twice (although the second attempt actually broke one of the internal pieces because it was weakened from when I previously replaced it, lol...) and I replaced my Crystal version internal battery too.

That was already about 5 years ago, too, so they'll be due for another replacement in the coming years. I want to get another Gold Version and get a Silver Version for collector's purposes, I don't mind if the batteries are dead because if anything I can just play a ROM on my PSP.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (10:21 PM).
curiousnathan
goodbye to the future

Nature: Mild
I still have my Pokemon Gold and turquoise GBC. Both, completely playable. :)
Old 3 Weeks Ago (06:47 PM).
Toshiro.
Community Supporter

I still have all of my cartridges, but the only one that works is my Crystal of the three. My Gold and Silver need a new battery or something. I keep them anyway just to keep my collection complete. Its a shame they don't work anymore, but hey, I still got a working Crystal!
Old 3 Weeks Ago (06:50 PM).
PikaSamus

My Gold Version's save only works if the game was soft reset (A+B+START+SELECT) or the Game Boy is turned back on within two seconds.
Old 2 Weeks Ago (09:35 PM).
DyingWillFlareon
The Mafia Flareon

Nature: Adamant
I recently bought a Yellow version, and I'm concerned whether or not it has a battery. I've heard both answers before.....

But as for GSC I can't say. After I heard about the internal battery dying I hadn't worked up the courage to play one. Had to get a Rom of Silver but unfortunately the tablet that was on broke when we completed the League, just hanging around Fuscia.........
But I plan on buying SoulSilver and reviving my team with fully evolved pokes for comforting reasons. (Haunter's will be able to evolve and Toegtuc will have his own new evolution as well )

Shhh PreciousMetals Version coming soon.....
I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature
Currently playing:
PokeSweet Version DuoSpecies Single Challenge Fudgisaur/Cupcat 2/2 3/8
Pokemon Solo Run w/ Sableye 0/5 missions completed (To be started)
Pokemon Ruby Ones that got Away: (To be started)
Pokemon Random FireRed Omega: 5/6 4/8
I have these HA Pokés, if you want one VM me~
Bibarel, Floatzel, Frogadier, Pansear, Larvesta, Ninetails, Klefki, Magneton, Klang, Zangoose, Poochyena, Ralts, Eevee. The list is always growing~ Evolutions and egg moves are available as well!~(I don't mind hunting for you either)
Now with PokeRus!!
Offer anything I dun care~
Old 2 Weeks Ago (06:34 AM).
Stormerbuzz35

I never got a chance to get GSC, but judging from how much the damn glitch that causes my clock events to not work on my Sapphire sucks, it must be awful. Read the coolest thing the other day about how you can bring your gen 1 and 2 pokemon all the way to the current gen, if you have patience.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ILhyYIjArYLimeWEUJvSa0BsCnB5k706MWN2Pa7fA9c/edit?pli=1
Now that's dedication.
Old 1 Week Ago (12:26 AM).
woddfellow2

Send a message via AIM to woddfellow2
All 3 no longer have their original save batteries.

Gold expired in 2011. Silver was dead on arrival in 2014. Crystal expired in 2013.

I have replaced them, albeit with the electrical tape method. They work fine now.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links