The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 17th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Konekodemon
The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon

Advertise here
What is the Game Genie code for Pokemon Encounters and all badges in Pokemon Blue? Sorry, can't ask this anywhere else but here as this is for a Game Genie code not a Gameshark code.

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile...1549&ref=61528
[/sig-reason]
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Dshoe
Beginning Trainer

I'm on pokemon yellow and I rarely ever use repels, but i need to get through victory road quickly. I am using super repels and yet I'm still encountering pokemon...???

Games I own: Yellow, Gold, Silver (somewhere), Crystal (somewhere), Sapphire, Emerald (somewhere), SoulSilver
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Fire Wolf
it's as humid as a sauna, boy!

Nature: Timid
If a wild pokemon has a level higher than the first pokemon in your party, it can break your repels/super repels/max repels.
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:20 PM
About_Blank
Beginning Trainer

OMG I have a whole bunch of those coins!! I used to be so into those cards... I actually have a POP (Pokemon Organized Play) membership card. From a while back. XD I went to a few tournaments but never won. LOL
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Michfan
Bodacious Intellectual

Nature: Mild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Wolf View Post
If a wild pokemon has a level higher than the first pokemon in your party, it can break your repels/super repels/max repels.
Sad but true. Put your highest level Pokemon in the first slot.
Ongoing Challenges: R/B/Y Monotype Challenge (Grass)
Upcoming Challenges: None...yet

Old May 15th, 2010, 09:22 PM
DXrobots
Just a passing through trainer

Nature: Sassy
odd question but are pokemon gold and silver for gameboy color or gameboy pocket? because I can play pokemon silver on my original Gameboy pocket the huge grey one and the smaller one as well. all the box art I look up for the game says they're gameboy color games but I know you can't play game boy color games on Gameboy pocket I tried with pokemon crystal.

Old May 16th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Sydian
Reserved for Syd's house - Nook Homes

They were released for GameBoy Color, so that's where they go. It's like playing GBC games on a GameBoy SP. They're just backwards compatible. It's been a long time since I've had a GBP, so I can't really remember if the back would hinder Crystal's catridge (because it bulges outward instead of inward like GS' do) from working in it. I would also assume that sprite animation would be a hindrance, but then again, there were plenty of other games for the GB that had moving sprites. I would imagine it's some technical issue, though. Or the weird bulgy cartridge.
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:59 AM
DXrobots

well when ever I try to play Crystal version on my Gameboy pocket the newer one it gives me a message that says its incompatible I'd show you but my gameboy pocket won't display anything anymore =[

Old May 16th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Sydian

Well, if your GBP isn't displaying anything anymore, maybe it's broken. I wish I could help more, but the only thing I can think of is that the GBP's broken or Crystal's not compatible with it because of that bulge, and an advance in technology over GS. Do you not have an SP or a GBA that can play your Crystal?

Edit: Also screen size might play a part, but I'm not entirely sure.

Edit again: Aha! Doing a little more reading, the see through cartridges (such as Crystal) are not compatible with anything older than the GBC.

Last edited by Sydian; May 16th, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:14 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter Tier 5

Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Question: Have EV's and IV's always been in since Red and Blue, and on level up, is there any random factor involved?

My actual problem is: I'm working on Project Alpha Fan here, where we're trying to set the record for fastest run through of Red/Blue Version. I know that the Starters have different stats every time when you get them, but if I make sure that I kill the exact same Pokemon every single time, will my team at the end have the exact same stats except for the differences in the beginning?
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Sydian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
The EV system was introduced in Generation I, where it was also called stat experience or Stat Exp.
The Pokémon data structure contains two EV bytes for each the five stats (HP, Attack, Defense, Speed and Special), starting at zero when caught and with a maximum EV of 65535 for each stat, however, maximum stats will be reached with only 64512 EVs. When a Pokémon is defeated, its base stats are converted to effort points and then added to the EVs. For example, defeating a Mew grants 100 effort points to each EV. (Defeating 646 Mew, therefore, will give a Pokémon maximum EVs in each stat.)
EVs are factored into the Pokémon's stats when it levels up. Additionally, EVs are calculated into stats when a Pokémon is taken from Bill's PC; this is called the box trick. A Pokémon which reaches level 100 can continue to accrue EVs up to the maximum of 65535 in each stat, and use the box trick to have those EVs factored in.
Vitamins add 2560 to one stat's EV, but cannot raise a stat above 25600. Unlike later games, the Exp. Share did not share EVs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulbapedia
In Generation I, there were only four IVs stored for each individual Pokémon: Attack, Defense, Speed, and Special. Each of these covered the respective stat, with the HP IV determined from the IVs stored for the other four. IVs had a range from 0-15, in binary 0000-1111, with the HP IV taking the final binary digit of the Attack, Defense, Speed, and Special IVs and placing it, in that order, for its own IV. As such, a Pokémon with an odd-number Attack IV had 8 added to its HP IV, Defense had 4 added, Speed had 2 added, and Special had 1 added.
I didn't know how to explain that at all. Haha. I hope that can clarify something for you. I personally wouldn't worry about EVs/IVs in a speed run.
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:40 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God

Yeah, I think that helped a bunch, thanks. The reason that I wanted to know this is that I need to know the minimum level my pokemon can be at in order to one shot the elite four or something similar.
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Kingler5
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Impish
are there any items for increasing accuracy, cuz my Kingler's Crabhammer keeps on missing and I get KOed thereafter.

CLAWS!

"Every claw counts"
-Kingler5
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:32 PM
myrrhman
Challenge God

There is X Accuracy, which can be found in the Pokemon Tower, Silph Co., or bought at Celadon Dept. Store. That is the only item that boosts accuracy, though.
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:35 PM
Cyndoquil
Beginning Trainer

Question: If I come across one of the legendary dogs, what is the best way to catch it?
Old May 21st, 2010, 03:40 PM
Sydian

Well, throwing a Master Ball is the easiest way. Since they always run though, if you encounter them early on, it might be best to wait a while. Here's some things:

Get a bunch of repels and use it in a low level place and have a Pokemon in the lead on level 39 that knows Mean Look. Umbreon and Gengar come to mind here, however I'm not sure if Umbreon can have that move by level 39. Anyway, use Mean Look at it'll stay. Just don't let your lead die. That's what most people do anyway.

My usual method is running back and forth between Ecruteak City and the route that's to the left of it (I think it's Route 32, but I can't remember atm) and keep checking their Dex location (if you've already seen them). Eventually, they'll pop up in your area and you can try the Repel + Mean Look strategy, or skip the repels if your trapper Pokemon is higher than level 39.

Hope this helps a little. I'm not good at explaining things like that.

Edit: If you're talking about the first time you see them, there's not much you can do without Mean Look or a Master Ball. Just throw a ball and maybe you'll get lucky.
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:15 PM
yomamathecableguy
Has a lot of projects going on

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
I'm not sure if Umbreon can have that move by level 39.
Of course it can! All you have to do is some attack breeding.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:37 AM
Thunderpunch
Pokemon Master

Nature: Adamant
Is there a way to trade pokemon from Gold / Silver onto Stadium / Stadium 2, and then trade them from Stadium / Stadium 2 onto Ruby / Sapphire? I'm just really trying to find a way to migrate my Silver team over to the new generation games. So is that possible?

Old May 23rd, 2010, 01:27 PM
The Red Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderpunch View Post
Is there a way to trade pokemon from Gold / Silver onto Stadium / Stadium 2, and then trade them from Stadium / Stadium 2 onto Ruby / Sapphire? I'm just really trying to find a way to migrate my Silver team over to the new generation games. So is that possible?
I'm actually positive that Stadium and Stadium 2 are not compatible with any 3rd generation games..
So I don't believe that is possible I'm sorry to say. ;~;
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Mumfie
Norwegian penguin!

Nature: Jolly
I'm pasting this quote from another source:

"Trade the Red Gyarados back to Red/Blue/Yellow and let it learn TM 31, Mimic. Trade it back(gsc) and delete all of its moves except Mimic(blackthorne city). Fight a wild Ditto(in pokemon rby). Let it use transform to turn into your Gyarados. Use Mimic to mimic Transform. Let Gyarados use Transform. Let Ditto use Transform again. Then, catch it. It will be shiny. Now that you have a shiny Ditto, you can breed any Pokemon with it. Your odds of getting a shiny egg is 1:64 where regular odds would be 1:8000."

Could anyone tell me if this is fake or if it works?

Link to source: http://www.trsrockin.com/shiny.html
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:46 PM
The Red Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumfie View Post
I'm pasting this quote from another source:

"Trade the Red Gyarados back to Red/Blue/Yellow and let it learn TM 31, Mimic. Trade it back(gsc) and delete all of its moves except Mimic(blackthorne city). Fight a wild Ditto(in pokemon rby). Let it use transform to turn into your Gyarados. Use Mimic to mimic Transform. Let Gyarados use Transform. Let Ditto use Transform again. Then, catch it. It will be shiny. Now that you have a shiny Ditto, you can breed any Pokemon with it. Your odds of getting a shiny egg is 1:64 where regular odds would be 1:8000."

Could anyone tell me if this is fake or if it works?

Link to source: http://www.trsrockin.com/shiny.html
According to my own knowledge and many other people's personal experiences on the interwebs, this trick works.
The reason for it turning shiny upon capture I'm uncertain of.. it's possible the stats it gains from Red Gyarados upon transforming stick with it even after it turns back into Ditto. In the GSC days, DVs [Called IVs now] were responsible for telling if the Pokemon you encountered was shiny or not. Automatically Red Gyarados will always have a DV combo that keeps it shiny no matter what.. therefore when you glitch the Ditto to mimic the Red Gyarados's stats, it will be shiny too.

Also, shiny parents will increase the chances of a shiny baby in GSC because the DVs that made the parent(s) shiny will pass onto it's children.
Keep in mind this trick no longer works in the later generations because DVs/IVs do not determine shinyness anymore.

Last edited by The Red Chain; May 29th, 2010 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Added some extra info.
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:40 PM
DXrobots

Was there an english version of Green ever released? besides leaf green of course

Old May 30th, 2010, 09:23 PM
The Red Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXrobots View Post
Was there an english version of Green ever released? besides leaf green of course
The only form of an English Green version I've ever seen were fan made translations of the ROM..
But that's the only information I have personally.. >.<;
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:03 AM
comradesean
Beginning Trainer

What level was the Mew obtained from the 1999 Poketour that was traded to your GB? Also what was the OT's name and ID?
Old June 6th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Flare Riqueza
Trainer

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXrobots View Post
Nope, while Japan got:

Red + Green | Blue (+ Red again possibly) | Yellow

Everyone else got:

Red + Blue | Yellow

Sponsored Links

Advertise here