Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation
Reload this Page Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Old January 27th, 2012 (08:55 PM).
The God of Fire

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by Jellicent♀:
From what I'm reading, you actually get the ticket from the Daycare man himself. Then, you take the ticket to the PCC in Goldenrod City (which is the larger Pokemon Center) and bring it to the trading center inside. There, the ticket can be traded for an Odd Egg, which contains a random, shiny, baby Pokemon which knows Dizzy Punch.
I read that too, but I didn't get it when I talked to him, which left me very confused.
Old January 27th, 2012 (09:00 PM).
ღ Fairy Wind ღ
Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
Quote originally posted by >Entei<:
I read that too, but I didn't get it when I talked to him, which left me very confused.
Have you maybe received the ticket without noticing? Have you spoken to the Trading Center inside of the PCC. Maybe you have it and just don't realize it, since it's in Japanese, unless you can read Japanese and know you don't have it, in which case it may be a bug within the game.

"We've restored your Pokémon to full health.
We hope to see you again!"
Old January 30th, 2012 (06:41 PM).

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PetalDanceD
Having trouble at Seafoam Islands on Pokemon Blue, What are the boulders for?
Old January 30th, 2012 (07:34 PM).
ღ Fairy Wind ღ
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by ftp44:
Having trouble at Seafoam Islands on Pokemon Blue, What are the boulders for?
The boulders are there to stop water currents on the bottom most floors that have water. The currents prevent you from freely navigating in most of the water. If all of the boulders are pushed down all of the holes, the water will be calm enough to Surf, thus giving you access to reach Articuno on the very bottom floor.

Old January 31st, 2012 (09:49 PM). Edited January 31st, 2012 by D-rek07.

I just beat Red in Pokemon gold. Is there anything else to do? I have captured Ho-oh and Lugia.
Old January 31st, 2012 (10:49 PM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote originally posted by D-rek07:
I just beat Red in Pokemon gold. Is there anything else to do? I have captured Ho-oh and Lugia.
Not really, you can complete the Pokédex, that's about it.
Old February 1st, 2012 (07:15 AM).

Quote originally posted by vaporeon7:
Not really, you can complete the Pokédex, that's about it.
Oh too bad. Thanks for your help.
Old February 1st, 2012 (11:54 AM).
A GB/C Rom Hacker since 2010

Nature: Relaxed
Quote originally posted by D-rek07:
Oh too bad. Thanks for your help.
You can also battle your rival in Indigo Plateau when it's Tuesday / Thursday (by trying to go challenge Elite Four).
But that's it.

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
-The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
Old February 1st, 2012 (01:15 PM).

Not sure if this belongs here but when I trytrade between my gold and crystal it wont work and I'm using GBA SP and GBA
Old February 1st, 2012 (01:21 PM).
Crystal Tier

Quote originally posted by Zoroark The Illusionist:
Not sure if this belongs here but when I trytrade between my gold and crystal it wont work and I'm using GBA SP and GBA
You can't use a GBA link cable or GBAs to trade between R/B/Y/G/S/C. You need to use in your case a Gameboy Colour and a GBC link cable.
Old February 21st, 2012 (05:23 PM).
Fallen

Nature: Lonely
Hey
I have been playing my old Yellow again for the first time in years and I was wondering is there a nurse or a room where you can heal in the S.S Anne?

Old February 21st, 2012 (06:20 PM).
ღ Fairy Wind ღ
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by Liquid Halo:
Hey
I have been playing my old Yellow again for the first time in years and I was wondering is there a nurse or a room where you can heal in the S.S Anne?
Not in the R/B/Y series. They didn't place a room for you to heal in until the third generation remakes. They do, however, have multiple healing items in rooms around the ship, if that helps any.

Old February 21st, 2012 (06:22 PM).
Fallen

Damn, well thanks.
Are there any burn heals hidden on board anywhere by any chance?

Old February 21st, 2012 (06:31 PM).
ღ Fairy Wind ღ
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by Liquid Halo:
Damn, well thanks.
Are there any burn heals hidden on board anywhere by any chance?
Unfortunately, no, sorry. :c

The list of items and locations are as followed, though:

Max Potion - Bottom deck, room to the farthest right

Ether - Room 3 on bottom deck

TM 44 (Rest) - Room 2 on bottom deck

Hyper Potion
- Bottom deck, far left room, on the bed's pillow (it is hidden)

Great Ball
- In the galley (or cafeteria), bottom trash can

TM 08 (Body Slam)
- Main deck (where entrance is), second room from the left

Max Ether
- top deck, second room from the left

Rare Candy
- top deck, third room from the right

HM 01 (Cut)
- from captain

Source, also including more info about the ship, located here.

Old February 21st, 2012 (09:37 PM). Edited February 21st, 2012 by vaporeon7.
Crystal Tier

I also want to add that you can leave the SS Anne at any time before getting HM01 to heal your Pokémon at the Pokémon Centre and it won't leave. You can also return after it has left by abusing a glitch. Click the word "Glitch" to see the video.
Old February 27th, 2012 (03:42 PM).
Gotta Derp em all

Can I Play Pokemon Yellow, On a Gameboy SP
Old February 27th, 2012 (04:02 PM).
ღ Fairy Wind ღ
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by hiff8:
Can I Play Pokemon Yellow, On a Gameboy SP
Yes, you can. The only handheld consoles that will not play GB/GBC games are the Nintendo DS consoles.

Old February 27th, 2012 (05:52 PM).
Gotta Derp em all

Thanks that's a relief considering i just ordered a Pokemon yellow off amazon without knowing XD
Old March 14th, 2012 (01:22 PM).

I already used the TM, lol. Right now I have several sets in mind, but I don't know what words the best for my Pidgeot.

The current set is: Toxic, Fly, Mirror Move, and Swift.

Set number 2 is: Toxic, Sky Attack, Substitute and Mirror Move

Set number 3 is: Toxic, Fly, Mirror Move and Substitute.

Toxic as a starting move, then Fly to stall plus STAB and Swift purely for STAB. I don't know what moves to get rid of. Wing Attack is no longer an option, plus wouldn't Fly be better in a Toxic Pidgeot to stall? I don't really know. Also, is Double Edge a good move for Pidgeo? I don't really like recoil moves, and don't even know if it'll be good on Pidgeot as it's a rather fragile pokemon, despite being good looking :D I need help and it's driving me insane trying to come up with a successful moveset for a Toxic stalling Pidgeot.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old March 16th, 2012 (08:01 PM).
Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o

A few questions:
1. Do the Pokemon r/b/y games have an internal battery?

2. They don't have a time function or shinies, so if my battery ran dry(say that the answer to number 1 is yes)then waht happens? I've heard that you can't save anymore, but I've also heard that nothing happens.
Old March 16th, 2012 (08:24 PM).
ღ Fairy Wind ღ
Silver Tier

Quote originally posted by darkpokeball:
A few questions:
1. Do the Pokemon r/b/y games have an internal battery?
Yes, they do. Not entirely sure how long they last, but they most certainly do.

Quote:
2. They don't have a time function or shinies, so if my battery ran dry(say that the answer to number 1 is yes)then waht happens? I've heard that you can't save anymore, but I've also heard that nothing happens.
While they don't have a day or night feature, the internal battery dying really does cause the game to be unable to save any progress what-so-ever. No, there is no way to charge it. Yes, pretty much the only way to replace it is to get another one with an internal battery that stills works (while extremely rare), or to get an emulator and whatnot.

Old March 24th, 2012 (06:56 AM). Edited March 24th, 2012 by yevon15.

Hello, PokéCommunity! I discovered this place yesterday and I just decided to register, I hope to learn a lot during my stay aswell as to try to be helpful whenever I can

Now, about this thread, I was wondering if anyone had a list of Pokémon Escape Rates for Generation I. I've been working on a hacked version of Red that incluedes all 151 original Pokémon and I've been thinking about making some of the Pokémon you miss (Omanyte/Kabuto, Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan, etc) appear in the Safari Zone. However before I do this, I want to know the escape rate of these Pokémon, because depending on how high the rate is I'll make them appear more or less often or if it's way too high I'll just make them appear somewhere else.

Regards and thankyou for your help!

Edit: I just noticed this post got moved from it's original thread. I'm sorry if I caused any inconvenience by creating a seperate thread, the reason I did so was because I considered this was more of a request for infromation rather than a question itself (and not a simple question). Seeing that the staff members consider this the appropriate thread for my post, I'm totally ok with my post being transfered here, and I just wanted to apologize for the inconvenience.
Old March 25th, 2012 (09:37 AM).
Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via AIM to Luigi-San Send a message via Skype™ to Luigi-San
Yes, you can. The only handheld consoles that will not play GB/GBC games are the Nintendo DS consoles.
And the Game Boy Micro, also.

Old March 28th, 2012 (08:49 PM). Edited March 28th, 2012 by Jorgomli.

No, there is no way to charge it. Yes, pretty much the only way to replace it is to get another one with an internal battery that stills works (while extremely rare), or to get an emulator and whatnot.
OBJECTION! It's actually extremely easy to replace the battery in any Pokemon game. First you need the correct watch battery, CR2025 for the GBC games, including G/S/C (which use the battery for the clock function as well as keeping your save saved to the RAM.), and CR1616 for the GBA games that use the clock function -- R/S/E. The tricky part is getting the cart open. I ordered a special bit that can be used with certain screwdrivers for $5 on lukiegames website. I used scissors my first time opening my Pokemon Red cart. While effective, it's not pretty and I scratched up the screw a lot. There is also a way to do it by melting the opening of a pens ink-barrel and letting it form to the screw, then opening it that way.

After you open the cart, the only thing you have to do is take the battery off of the tabs that hold it in. It's kind of difficult, as it's soldered onto the battery. I used a razor blade and an X-Acto knife, because I'm familiar with working with razors. As always, be careful. After about 20 minutes I finally got the first tab off, and 10 minutes afterward, I got the second one from underneath. You have to be really careful not to scratch the circuit board or your game may not function properly.

Now that you have the battery off, take the time to straighten out the tabs that were connected to the battery. This is essential for keeping the battery in contact with the circuit board. The straighter, the better.

Ok, now that the tabs are straight, take your new CR2025 battery and slip it between the tabs, fat-side down. If your confused about what side is positive/negative, look at the circuit board. I'm pretty sure what ever side is supposed to go down (+/-) is printed on there.

Now, after the battery is placed in between there (it won't stay there until this step is complete), you have a couple of choices.

1.) You can go the more expensive, difficult route and solder the battery back in.

2.) You can go the cheap, easy, recommended route (I did this one because I don't own a soldering iron.) and use Scotch tape. I used thin strips of it that I cut using scissors or a razor. You can touch the tape to the circuit board, but be very careful not to go over any of the circuits. It's okay to go around the edge of the cart, but be careful of the other side.

3.) (Untested) You can go the semi-permanent route and glue it in. I haven't heard of anyone trying this, but idk why it wouldn't work.

Make sure that the tab on the bottom are in contact with the circuit board. Secure the battery down so it won't move if the cart gets tossed on your bed or something, or else you'll have to open the cart all over again if it loses contact, and you'll lose your save.

To answer a couple questions I anticipate will be here or have already been asked:

Yes, you WILL lose your save if the battery dies or you take it out. Why? because the battery keeps the save on the RAM on the cartridge. Like computers, RAM only stores data if it's powered on. As soon as the power goes out or is taken away, everything on the RAM is erased, and to my knowledge, unrecoverable. (This is ONLY FOR GBC GAMES. R/B/Y, G/S/C)

There IS a way to back up your GBC saves, but it's expensive. There's a utility out there called GB Transferer 2. I'm not trying to advertise, but the only site I've seen it on sale from is hkems or something like that. I sent them an email last week, and they haven't responded to me though. Be careful if you're buying this online, as it's really easy to fry the board, essentially breaking the device. My guess would be people would try to sell broken ones, just be careful. ~$23 USD.

No, you will not lose save data if you change your battery on the GBA carts. The battery, to my knowledge, is used solely for the clock function. If the battery dies, the clock will simply stop working and no clock-based or time-based or day-based events will occur. That means there will be no night time, which means no Espeon or Umbreon (right?...) because they evolve at night. My guess is when the battery is replaced, the game will return to normal, but I haven't tried this yet.

Yes, there is a screwdriver made for the screw on GBA carts. I got one for ~$1 USD on eBay. It's a tri-wing screwdriver and a lot of Nintendo Products use tri-wing screws.

Yes, there is a special device used for opening GB and GBC carts. It's called a 3.8mm Steel Security bit. It is just the bit that is commonly used with certain screwdrivers, but some reviews say that you don't even need the handle. ~$6 with shipping from Amazon.

"My GB/GBC games don't save." - This doesn't necessarily mean that your game is fake or garbage. Easy to replace batteries using the above method. Try that before throwing your game away or selling it. Much more economical to pay for one $1 battery.

"What about GBA games? How come the battery doesn't affect saves in those games?" - From what I have heard browsing the web for this answer, I have come across this. 3rd Gen pokemon games (R/S/E, Fr/Lg) save to Flash Memory instead of saving to RAM like previous games. This means that the saves are independent of the battery. And according to some sources, I guess Fr/Lg don't have batteries because they don't utilize the clock function.

Quick Reference guide:
GB/GBC Battery: CR2025
GBA Battery: CR1616
Pokewalker Battery: CR2032 (Might as well throw it in here)
*Batteries are generally available at a Walgreen's or Wal-Mart, but I get mine on eBay for $0.99/each, free shipping.

GB/GBC Screwdriver: 3.8mm Security bit/Gamebit (It's made specially for fixing and opening game cartridges.)
GBA Screwdriver: Tri-Wing.
*All available on eBay/Amazon.

Optional:
Scotch/Electrical Tape.
Scissors.
Razor Blade/X-Acto knife.

All-around estimated cost:
GB/GBC: $7 if you don't have the tool, $1 if you do.
GBA: $2-$3 if you don't have the screwdriver.
Time: About an hour if it's your first time doing it. All depends on how long it takes to get the old battery out. New battery in is ~2-5 minutes.

Now go out there and revive those dusty cartridges! :D
Old April 22nd, 2012 (07:05 AM).
Chilling like snorlax

were to find gbc save games?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links