The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Metal & Color Generation

Notices

Metal & Color Generation Take a walk down memory lane with Red, Blue, and Yellow, the games that started it all! Then revisit the best region ever in the original Johto games, Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Sven

Nature: Relaxed
Not sure where to put this but it's regarding old Pokemon games I'll just put it here.
My question, which console is better for playing Pokemon Yellow (1st gen games) and Pokemon Crystal (2nd gen games) If i had a GBA SP I wouldn't even be asking this but I don't, at least for now.

I ask this because I played Sapphire on my GBA and the screen was so dark it became more annoying than Zubats. On the other side, I really don't remember how it's screen look like.

So, which game is better for which game. Game Boy Advance or Game Boy (Pocket).
The problem with GB pocket is that it doesn't have colors, but if it has brighter screen than GBA, maybe it is better suited for Yellow. Or? idk, just advise me xD
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Jak
eye of the needle

Nature: Timid
If you like to see colors (which is good for GSC and it's not a big deal for RBY) then I'd go with the GBA, and perhaps invest in a worm light if you can. I haven't had a Pocket in a long time, so I don't remember them being brighter than a GBA, but I don't imagine they would be, to tell you the truth. I would think they'd be on the same peg as the GBC.

edit: I don't think Crystal will play on a Pocket anyway. Besides, if you already have both a Pocket and Advance, why not just pop the games in question into the Game Boy and figure out what you think it looks better on?
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Sven

Nature: Relaxed
Because I haven't gotten the games yet, I have silver on german though.
Old May 8th, 2013, 06:52 AM
FIKRI 29
Pokemon tamer

Nature: Bold
Battling Red is difficult.
Red's pokemon are :
Pikachu,Espeon,Snorlax,Venusaur,Blastoise,and Charizard.
The level of them above 60

I can't win against red
easy way to defeat red ?
Old May 10th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Jak
eye of the needle

@Sven: Sorry I'm late. When you get the games, assuming you have both the consoles you're debating on playing them with, just pop them in and see what you prefer. A GBA would definitely be better for GSC though. For RBY, it's not really a big deal. Everything will just be red or blue in RB and in Yellow, every route and city are a different color. And the Pokemon are usually colored in with one color. Nothing to look twice at.

@Fikri: There isn't really a trick to it, but I strongly recommend leading with a good Ground type or a good physical attacker with a Ground attack, like maybe Donphan or Dugtrio. tbh though, if you want help with this, try checking out the in-game team help forum in Battle Center. You can make a thread and post your whole team there and people will give you advice on anything that may need changing. Remember to post movesets when you do that.
Old May 10th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Marisa
dim. dream.
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Skype™ to Marisa
This may be a stupid question but...
I'm currently playing Gold, and I'm stuck at trying to go to that place to get Amphy's meds...where do I get Surf?
leijon
kimisumi

pairs
family
credit
Old May 10th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

You need to go to Ecruteak City and beat the Kimono Girls. Should be the building above the Pokemon Center. When you beat them all, a man will give you the Surf HM.
Old May 16th, 2013, 12:40 AM
Marisa
dim. dream.
Community Supporter

Thank you!
Okay, well, I got Surf and taught it to my Croconaw...now I have 6 gym badges, and am stuck at Olivine. Where do I go from here?
leijon
kimisumi

pairs
family
credit
Old May 16th, 2013, 01:00 AM
vaporeon7
My life would suck without you
Community Supporter

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Sonic View Post
Thank you!
Okay, well, I got Surf and taught it to my Croconaw...now I have 6 gym badges, and am stuck at Olivine. Where do I go from here?
Go right of Ecruteak City. Then surf across the water and make your way to Mahogany Town.
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Marisa
dim. dream.
Community Supporter

Thanks so much to the both of you! Just making my way to the Lake of Rage at the moment. I'll tell you if I need help here.
leijon
kimisumi

pairs
family
credit
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Jeikobu
God's beloved child

Send a message via AIM to Jeikobu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeikobu
Can I transfer a Pokemon from my Japanese Red game to any American 3rd generation game?
"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." - Romans 1:20

Learn the Japanese names for Pokemon!

Please visit my Photobucket! http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v162/Jeikobu_Roy/
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

Afraid not, honey. :( Generation I and II games are not compatible with gen III and beyond. Also bear in mind that Japanese gen I and II games will cause glitches in trading with another gen I or II game of a different language, like an English one. So I don't recommend trying that at all.
Old May 26th, 2013, 01:59 AM
AwkwardZombie

Well I originally wanted to breed a Lapras and Scyther together but it turns out that I can't. I'm going to start up the original Red version, then when I finish that game I'll move on to playing Crystal to breed them.

So in Pokemon Crystal, do you know the shortest amounts of pokemon I have to breed to get one that's parents (or grandparents) at least have 1 Scyther and Lapras? I'm pretty much doing this because they are my two favorites. I would like to end up with a Scyther the first time, so it knows better moves.

Thanks.
Old May 26th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Jak
eye of the needle

Wh...what? I don't quite get what you're trying to ask. :( For what it's worth, the easiest option is to breed a Scyther with Ditto for a Scyther, and a Lapras with Ditto for Lapras. There is also a breeding guide in the FAQ. Maybe you should check that out?
Old May 27th, 2013, 04:52 AM
AwkwardZombie

Basically what I'm trying to do is create a Scyther who can learn a move from breeding a Lapras, I know that you can't directly breed a Scyther from a Lapras so I was looking for the minimum amount of breeding I would have to do in order to achieve this.
Old May 27th, 2013, 05:03 AM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkwardZombie View Post
Basically what I'm trying to do is create a Scyther who can learn a move from breeding a Lapras, I know that you can't directly breed a Scyther from a Lapras so I was looking for the minimum amount of breeding I would have to do in order to achieve this.
Which move? It'll make it a lot easier to tell you that way.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 05:54 PM
AwkwardZombie

Say I used a move modifier gameshark code to put Mega Drain on my Scyther for Pokemon Red and save the game. If that permanently puts that move on my Scyther, if I traded that pokemon to, say Crystal version; Will that crash the game? Or will Pokemon Crystal just recognize that it is a legitimate move and accept my Scyther with Mega Drain?

Thanks.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 06:44 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwkwardZombie View Post
Say I used a move modifier gameshark code to put Mega Drain on my Scyther for Pokemon Red and save the game. If that permanently puts that move on my Scyther, if I traded that pokemon to, say Crystal version; Will that crash the game? Or will Pokemon Crystal just recognize that it is a legitimate move and accept my Scyther with Mega Drain?

Thanks.
I'll accept it. I've had Kangaskhan with Sky Attack that have come out of a Missingno before and they were fine.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 07:39 PM
AwkwardZombie

Awesome, Scyther's moveset in gen 1 games is down right dreadful. I decided not to chain him with Lapras btw, no point in trying to chain breed for nothing.
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:23 PM
MainstreamMew

Hey guys, I'm working on my Pokedex in Red version and I just caught a Rhyhorn. I know I'm gonna have to rough it out and grind to get it up to evolving but I was wondering what you recommend I do to make it more tolerable? As of right now it only knows Horn Attack and that's kind of a pain.

Here's my predicament: I've already used my Dig and Earthquake TM (I figure those would have been good for some powerful 1 hit kills while grinding him but alas what's done is done) and I also want to evolve him before going through Victory Road. (Just a self imposed challenge of sorts) So, any ideas/tips? :D
Old June 6th, 2013, 07:42 PM
vaporeon7
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainstreamMew View Post
Hey guys, I'm working on my Pokedex in Red version and I just caught a Rhyhorn. I know I'm gonna have to rough it out and grind to get it up to evolving but I was wondering what you recommend I do to make it more tolerable? As of right now it only knows Horn Attack and that's kind of a pain.

Here's my predicament: I've already used my Dig and Earthquake TM (I figure those would have been good for some powerful 1 hit kills while grinding him but alas what's done is done) and I also want to evolve him before going through Victory Road. (Just a self imposed challenge of sorts) So, any ideas/tips? :D
Well for starters, you could teach it TM48, Rock Slide if you still have it, which is obtained from the girl on top of the Celadon Dept. Store. I also recommend training it at the Pokémon Mansion on Cinnabar Island. It'll resist a lot of moves there and can fight some decent levelled Pokémon.
Old June 6th, 2013, 09:02 PM
MainstreamMew

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
Well for starters, you could teach it TM48, Rock Slide if you still have it, which is obtained from the girl on top of the Celadon Dept. Store. I also recommend training it at the Pokémon Mansion on Cinnabar Island. It'll resist a lot of moves there and can fight some decent levelled Pokémon.
Oh thank you so so much. I have been training it in Pokemon Mansion, I've gotten up to level 39. I forgot all about my Rock Slide TM though! I was going to teach that to my Aerodactyl but he can't learn it! I'm pretty sure Lance's knows it though so how is that fair! lol But thank you very much Rock Slide is going to make these last few levels all that much easier.
Old June 15th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Melua
Unhatched Egg

EDIT: I've changed my mind on what Pokémon to use in R/B/Y, I posted a message in the IG Battle Team thread.
I have some new questions:
How is Arcanine not awesome? I saw it's a lower tier competitive Pokémon, yet its stats are really high. I wanted one.
Is Hypno worth it? I can't get Pokémon that have to be traded IG.
Is Starmie a good Pokémon with potential? I'm worried about its low-ish HP.

Is there a way to IV/EV train in R/B/Y?

If I keep Arcanine (assuming it's a good choice) which starter should I choose? I'm really impatient to play!

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by Melua; June 16th, 2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old June 16th, 2013, 10:11 PM
MainstreamMew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melua View Post
EDIT: I've changed my mind on what Pokémon to use in R/B/Y, I posted a message in the IG Battle Team thread.
I have some new questions:
How is Arcanine not awesome? I saw it's a lower tier competitive Pokémon, yet its stats are really high. I wanted one.
Is Hypno worth it? I can't get Pokémon that have to be traded IG.
Is Starmie a good Pokémon with potential? I'm worried about its low-ish HP.

Is there a way to IV/EV train in R/B/Y?

If I keep Arcanine (assuming it's a good choice) which starter should I choose? I'm really impatient to play!

Thank you for reading.
I'm not to good with IV/EV training. But I can say that you should only get Arcanine if you're willing to have a Growlithe for a while. Unless you're just going to teach it Fire Blast from the TM, it's a long wait until Flamethrower, which only Growlithe can learn, once it's an Arcanine if you don't already have it, kiss it goodbye. I use Arcanine on my team in Red and it does just fine for what I need it for. Although with the game completely beat the only thing I end up needing it for is Jynx and Exeggcutor in the Elite Four's Pokemon.

I'm not sure how well Starmie does in game but one thing to note is that it can learn Recover. So even if it's low HP worries you, it has a decent healing move.

And this is somewhat an opinion with a little bit of fact but I really favor Bulbasaur as a starter. Mainly because there just isn't very many grass Pokemon worth using (to me). Also once you have a Venusaur with Razor Leaf in Red and Blue, it ALWAYS get a critical hit. (It has something technical to do with the calculator that I have trouble understanding but I know that it works.) Leech Seed and Toxic are nice things for it to stall. And it can learn Sleep Powder (Even if it is at level 55). I usually go for Body Slam, Razor Leaf, Toxic, and Leech Seed on my Venusaur in Red.
Old June 18th, 2013, 02:22 PM
CloysterOyster
Master of Ice

Nature: Lax
I was asked to post this here:

Does anyone know how to get Celebi in Pokémon Crystal? Back then before my Crystal version dried up, I always wanted to get one but never knew how. I only knew that it involved the small shrine in Ilex Forest and a GS Ball but I didn't know how to get the GS Ball. Should I get my Crystal version fixed, I want to get Celebi this time around. Any help is appreciated.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links