The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Main Series Pokémon Gaming > Second Generation
Reload this Page Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Second Generation Following the success of Red, Blue and Yellow, Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal introduced fans to an exciting new world full of new Pokémon to find, catch and train. Reminisce about your favourite moments in the Johto region, share your adventures and argue about the Johto master race.

View Poll Results: Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?
Growlithe 6 40.00%
Abra 9 60.00%
Machop 1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 25th, 2013 (9:47 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
I've been considering team after team when it came to starting over and over in my Gold version; (I am unsure, though) what specifically would one use in terms of type arrangement?

Does anyone have a simple preclusion to this question of mine?

Thank you!
~vEzekiaLv

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 1st, 2013 (8:26 AM).

I know it's like 2 weeks ago that you posted the question about Celebi, but it's better late than never, eh?

You can get Celebi with GS Ball in Japanese Crystal only and even there you get the item via an event. In our verions of Crystal there is no GS Ball. But there is a weird glitch enabling one to get a Celebi. All I know is that you need a Bad Clone and Sneasel at lvl 57 (or even two, I guess, it's because you need a Pokemon with Beat Up). If you want any further info, I suggest you look it up at Bulbapedia (search for GSC Glitches).
Old July 2nd, 2013 (6:52 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vEzekiaLv View Post
I've been considering team after team when it came to starting over and over in my Gold version; (I am unsure, though) what specifically would one use in terms of type arrangement?

Does anyone have a simple preclusion to this question of mine?

Thank you!
~vEzekiaLv
I personally use these types almost always on my teams.

Grass
Fire
Water
Electric
Psychic
Dragon

I'm not to sure of what the "best" all around type would be but in theory the more variety on your team the better prepared it is to deal with something. But I'm sure there are cases where this will prove to also not be true. Yay Pokemon!
Old July 13th, 2013 (11:29 PM).
Alert but not Alarmed

I've been playing pokemon Yellow, and my fighting moves have been "not very effective" against pidgey and spearow. Is this an emulator glitch, or a game glitch, or am I just really stupid for some reason?
Old July 14th, 2013 (10:10 PM).

I'm probably wrong but since they're part flying wouldn't that be the reason why it's saying that they aren't very effective?
Old July 14th, 2013 (10:39 PM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug.Catcher.Nakata View Post
I've been playing pokemon Yellow, and my fighting moves have been "not very effective" against pidgey and spearow. Is this an emulator glitch, or a game glitch, or am I just really stupid for some reason?
I was gonna write this, but Bulbapedia does it better.
Quote:
In Generation I, Pokémon with two types that have a weakness and resistance to the same type receive neutral damage from that type, but the incorrect message is displayed.
For example, Grass-type moves do neutral damage to Gyarados, but if Gyarados is hit by a Grass-type move, the game erroneously states that the attack is "not very effective...".
The game prioritizes on which message to display for each 'special' scenario (where normal damage is not dealt) based on each scenario's internal ordering. The higher the ordering determines what message the game will display. Grass against Water as 200% damage for instance is the 4th entry, whilst Grass against Flying as 50% damage is the 27th. Consequently in this example the game chooses the message for scenario #27, returning the wrong message "It's not very effective...".
This glitch does not occur in Pokémon Stadium.
If an attack is super effective or not very effective against one type and does no damage against another type (for example, Dig against Charizard), the game will erroneously state that the attack missed.
Old July 20th, 2013 (1:36 PM).

Hi,

So I blew some dust of my GameBoy Color, and inserted the Pokemon Silver game, and what a feeling!
I've missed this :D

But I'm trying to put together a very strong team, that i will level up to max.
So far I've decided to use:

Kingdra
Crobat
Tyranitar
Ampharos
Typhlosion
Espeon

Does this look good? Anything you would do different?
(I don't have anyone to trade with, or else I would replace Espeon with Gengar or Alakazam.)

And, i can use 7 Pokemons, right? Any suggestion for a last Pokemon in my team?

Thanks.
Old July 21st, 2013 (10:19 AM).
1337 Poisons

Nature: Careful
If you can't trade then you won't be able to use Kingdra since getting it requires trading a Seadra holding a Dragon Scale.

If you still want to use a Dragon type in its place you can receive a Dratini from the Game Coner in Goldenrod City as a prize. While it takes a lot of training and is rather difficult to use in-game through the main story, when reaches it's final evolution it becomes one of the most powerful Pokemon in the game that isn't a legendary.

Remember you can only have six Pokemon on your party at a time. You can use as many as you want through your adventure, just only six at a time.

Other than that your team looks good and will do just fine in-game.
Old July 21st, 2013 (1:12 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoblivinator View Post
If you can't trade then you won't be able to use Kingdra since getting it requires trading a Seadra holding a Dragon Scale.

If you still want to use a Dragon type in its place you can receive a Dratini from the Game Coner in Goldenrod City as a prize. While it takes a lot of training and is rather difficult to use in-game through the main story, when reaches it's final evolution it becomes one of the most powerful Pokemon in the game that isn't a legendary.

Remember you can only have six Pokemon on your party at a time. You can use as many as you want through your adventure, just only six at a time.

Other than that your team looks good and will do just fine in-game.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
Google'd aroud abit for some good teams, and this is what Im looking at right now:

Typhlosion
Crobat
Ampharos
Lapras
Dragonite
Tyranitar
Espeon

This is 7 Pokemons, so I would need to remove one.
Any suggestion to who I should remove? Or maby replace two pokemons with one that can do abit of both?

Also, witch moveset should the have?
Old July 21st, 2013 (1:18 PM).

I'd say to remove Crobat... Poison types aren't that useful in Gen II, even with Toxic + Double Team.

There aren't many Eletric types out there, so you can keep your Ampharo, but I don't like using slow Eletrics... just a preference.

Do you already know how to evolve your Eevee into Espeon, right? ^^
Old July 21st, 2013 (1:28 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lari View Post
I'd say to remove Crobat... Poison types aren't that useful in Gen II, even with Toxic + Double Team.

There aren't many Eletric types out there, so you can keep your Ampharo, but I don't like using slow Eletrics... just a preference.

Do you already know how to evolve your Eevee into Espeon, right?
Aiit, remove Crobat.. Il just use it until I have the full team to lvl up.
Yes, I need to levet Eevee up with friendship during the morning/day. Don't know the best way for this though.

So , this under here would be a good team throughout the whole game?
Typhlosion
Ampharos
Lapras
Dragonite
Tyranitar
Espeon

Do you have a suggestion for moves they should have?
Old July 21st, 2013 (1:39 PM).

Breed the Eevee you received to get an Eevee from the egg, it will come with 120 of happiness, that is, more than half you need. Use some vitamins (like Carbos and Calcium) and don't forget to cut your Eevee's hair everyday (but Monday, cause the haircut brothers don't appear in Monday).

Besides that, I don't know other suggestions... For moves, if you could do it, and since you're going for a Egg, try to breed an Eevee with Bite! It might be useful for your Espeon.

Both Dragonite and Tyranitar are physical attackers, so try to choose moves like Earthquake and Rock Slide for them. Despite Crunch being special you can't forget to put in your Tyranitar, though.
Old July 25th, 2013 (4:45 AM).

With theese pokemons listed below, which pokemons should have what HM here? I would like to have the most useful HMs in my standard team. (Fly, Surf, Flash, Strength and Cut. Maby whirlpool and waterfall aswell?)

Typhlosion
Ampharos
Lapras
Dragonite
Tyranitar
Espeon

And also, Tyranitar is a pretty late-game Pokemon, any suggenstion for a Pokemon I can use until I get him?
Old July 26th, 2013 (5:24 PM).

You should only worry about your team in the post-game, not before, or else you will have problems like HM's... All of them but Surf are weak compared to other moves, they shouldn't be used competitively.
Old August 19th, 2013 (11:14 AM). Edited August 19th, 2013 by Panfisha.
BIGGLYPUFF?

Nature: Relaxed
So I got gold version the other day (actual cartridge) and am trying to find a heracross. I know they come from headbutting trees and are rare.
Just wondering if there are any tricks to finding them, such as time of day, or certain locations to avoid?

Not sure if it was legit, but back when gold was new, there was a rumor that heracross was found most commonly in the morning hours.

EDIT: Solved on my own! Apparently heracross are only found in 'mountain' headbutt-able trees, such as those found on routes 33/32/31/30/29. This news comes too late for me, as I easily spent ~1 hour headbutting trees in Ilex forest and Azalea town (mainly because in HG/SS, heracross are found in Azalea town trees).
Old August 25th, 2013 (2:37 PM).

Hello guys and girls. Im new here and the only reason i signed up is..obviously because im into Pokemon! Im actually pretty old (24 years old) and pokemon is part of my childhood. I remember playing pokemon red on my gameboy pocket (monochrome) but sadly the machine broke and i never bought one after that. I used to play pokemon ruby/saphire around 4-5 years ago but i honestly dont remember anything anymore. I recently watched some pokemon movies in order to refresh my memory and i got addicted again >.> So i started pokemon yellow on my VBA Emulator (though i do plan on getting a gameboy online when possible) and i just kicked the butt of the 3rd pokemon gym master with the electric raichu (one tough pokemon). Im actually reading a guide in a website because im completely noob at this point. I mainly made this thread because i have some questions. I have like 6 high level pokemons (not really high but those are my highest). Its pikachu-Butterfree-Mew-Piggeoto-Mankey-Nidorina and lastly digglet which i just cought in that cave near the 3rd gym. So my question is how exactly do i proceed with the game? Every time i go to a new area i find high level pokemons and it seems that my hard work for leveling my own pokemons was a waste because i can instantly catch a high level pokemon when i reach a specific area just like what i did with my 21 level digglet (caught this one because i wanted to use dig on raichu) and just now a duggtrio level 29 (which btw beat half my party and 1 shot my dinoqueen). The high level pokemons in certain areas are better than the ones i leveled or what? What tactic do you guys usually follow when it comes to having a main pokemon team? Should i be replacing my pokemon once i find another one with high level or the ones that i leveled can be good enough until the end?

Also, which types of pokemon do i need in my 6 man team in order to be protected from most trainers?

Any suggestion/tip would be really appreciated. Thanks for reading and sorry for the wall of text
Old August 25th, 2013 (3:03 PM).

Hey Tralebus I'm new here as well!

I haven't played pokemon yellow for a long time now but what I used to do was plan ahead for which ever gym would be coming next.

I think you can actually get a charmander, bulbasaur and squirtle at the point you are at now in the game, I think you get the bulbasaur from Cerulean City, but I'm not sure about the other two, I'm sure the guide you are going through will tell you though.

Anyway, when I did play I would make sure the team I had was covered type wise, so that I had a good chance of beating an enemy no matter what pokemon they put out. The six types of pokemon I would have are:

fire, water, grass, flying, electric, psychic/ ground

The more types you have in your team, the more versatile you are.

About the obtaining the high level pokemon you are coming across - I would say if you think the pokemon will be more useful to you at that point in the game than another pokemon you already have then there is no harm in catching it, and if you decide after a while you don't want to use it, you can always store it in the PC.

Hope some of that information helped.
Old August 26th, 2013 (3:15 AM).

Hello Iceblast, thanks for your reply!

I have another question and id appreciate a suggestion. I am now in celadon city, just took the Evee and im wondering what to evolve it to. I guess Blue is going to evolve his into a jolteon since i never lost a battle against him. My party now has: level 30 pikachu, level 31 mew (i used the glitch i hope you dont judge me badly about this), level 30 nidoqeen, level 28 butterfree, level 26 piggeotto, level 31 primeape. I also have an abra that should be around level 27 now on that pokemon breeder and another kadabra level 27 that i caught earlier. Also have a duggtrio 29 level and a ratticate level 20, all that in the PC. What do you think is the appropriate evolution for my Evee? Or maybe i should just postpone evolving it for now? Generally, is evee's evolution a good end game pokemon? I heard duggtrip, mew and raichu are great for end game but that might be wrong.. I also heard that jolteon is very fast and strong but i dont know if it would be the right move since i already have an electrical pokemon. Anyway thank you very much :D
Old August 26th, 2013 (3:40 AM).
I am legend

Send a message via Skype™ to Elaitenstile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralebus View Post
Hello Iceblast, thanks for your reply!

I have another question and id appreciate a suggestion. I am now in celadon city, just took the Evee and im wondering what to evolve it to. I guess Blue is going to evolve his into a jolteon since i never lost a battle against him. My party now has: level 30 pikachu, level 31 mew (i used the glitch i hope you dont judge me badly about this), level 30 nidoqeen, level 28 butterfree, level 26 piggeotto, level 31 primeape. I also have an abra that should be around level 27 now on that pokemon breeder and another kadabra level 27 that i caught earlier. Also have a duggtrio 29 level and a ratticate level 20, all that in the PC. What do you think is the appropriate evolution for my Evee? Or maybe i should just postpone evolving it for now? Generally, is evee's evolution a good end game pokemon? I heard duggtrip, mew and raichu are great for end game but that might be wrong.. I also heard that jolteon is very fast and strong but i dont know if it would be the right move since i already have an electrical pokemon. Anyway thank you very much :D
Hey, I'll give you a little tip. You see, since we can get all three starters in-game, your Water-Fire-Grass-Types are already covered.
So what's the choice pointing over to? Jolteon? But you have Pikachu! That's why just think hard on which one looks cooler or maybe choose randomly, unless you plan on taking Vaporeon, which is a good choice, if it weren't for Blastoise.
Old August 26th, 2013 (3:53 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Hoenn★ View Post
Hey, I'll give you a little tip. You see, since we can get all three starters in-game, your Water-Fire-Grass-Types are already covered.
So what's the choice pointing over to? Jolteon? But you have Pikachu! That's why just think hard on which one looks cooler or maybe choose randomly, unless you plan on taking Vaporeon, which is a good choice, if it weren't for Blastoise.

Thanks for the reply Hoenn :D

You see, thing is that i dont really like bulba/charm/squ as pokemons though their last forms are kind of cool. I do have all 3 already ( i think? or maybe i dont have squi? not sure) but i have not leveled them up so they must be around level 10 and leveling up takes a lot of time. Unless you have some leveling tips for me :D

Also, are those 3 pokemons (their last evolution) strong in end game? Will zapdos/articuno/moltres be better or i wont even be able to catch those in the end? What im asking is, the 3 starter pokemon are amongst the best in their respective field? (water/fire/grass) ?
Old August 26th, 2013 (12:34 PM).
My life would suck without you
Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Skype™ to vaporeon7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralebus View Post
Thanks for the reply Hoenn :D

You see, thing is that i dont really like bulba/charm/squ as pokemons though their last forms are kind of cool. I do have all 3 already ( i think? or maybe i dont have squi? not sure) but i have not leveled them up so they must be around level 10 and leveling up takes a lot of time. Unless you have some leveling tips for me :D

Also, are those 3 pokemons (their last evolution) strong in end game? Will zapdos/articuno/moltres be better or i wont even be able to catch those in the end? What im asking is, the 3 starter pokemon are amongst the best in their respective field? (water/fire/grass) ?
Zapdos is a good Pokémon as it can use Drill Peck and Thunderbolt. The other two only have one attack that they can use well and as such aren't very good. Exeggutor is the best grass type (but Venusaur and Victreebel are both still good), Charizard is probably one of the better fire types and Starmie and Lapras are probably the best water types.
Old August 27th, 2013 (10:31 AM). Edited August 27th, 2013 by Tralebus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaporeon7 View Post
Zapdos is a good Pokémon as it can use Drill Peck and Thunderbolt. The other two only have one attack that they can use well and as such aren't very good. Exeggutor is the best grass type (but Venusaur and Victreebel are both still good), Charizard is probably one of the better fire types and Starmie and Lapras are probably the best water types.
I see. Yes i read in various topics that zapdos is arguably the best electric pokemon (along with jolteon i guess) and that zapdos has an extra ability which is flying (which can also be a weakness i guess). For now this is my setup.

My 6 pokemon are:
Lapras (Level 30, i taught him thunderbolt, he also has body slam and a relatively weak water move and lastly sing)
Mew (Level 41, it has cut. rock slide, bubble beam, psychic.. all of which are great damage dealers.. even cut lol)
Gengar (Level 30, yes i figured out how to trade my haunter with blue pokemon and then get him back as gengar "took me 2 hours to figure out how to do it, especially because after the trade the save would not count for some reason" anyway he has night shade, hypnosis, confuse ray and lick)
Alakazam (Level 38, same goes^, he has Psychic, confusion, Recover, psybeam..hes very powerful)
Pidgeotto (Level 29, gust, razor wind, whirlwind and fly. The only reason i use him is because of the fly skill, i dont have other decent fly pokemon and my fearow is low level without any decent skills too).

Other pokemon in my vault, Duggtrio level 38 (hes very powerufl, at the moment not in the party because im leveling lapras/gengar. Primeape level 34 but i read machamp is better so i ll replace him once the breeder levels my machamp a bit. Butterfree, level 35, its a good pokemon especially because it combines sleep with psychic ability and i like it a lot but i never read butterfree in an end game build so i guess hes gonna stay in the vault. Raichu (yep evolved, i hated pikachu) level 35 and i think i wont be using him because i also got jolteon level 25 (problem is i dont have thunder attacks but i might level him up to 30 and then move him to blue version for 31 in order to grab thunderbolt) but then again im not sure if i should be wasting time since as everyone says zapdos is a better electric pokemon which can also fly.

Lastly, i dont want to be bugging you guys with questions but i just want if possible a suggestion regarding my party. Which pokemon should i dump and why? And which ones do i need, for example i have no fire/grass/normal pokemon yet. I heard chansey> best normal. exeggutor> best grass. How about fire? Btw i caught that level 30 sleeping snorlax, i guess chansey is better than snorlax?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated, thanks again.

PS: Since mew is such a versatile pokemon, would it be worth teaching him some fire move as well? Because by having mew with 3/4 different types of skills i can use the rest of the slots for other useful pokemon such as ground and grass. What is your opinion, or id be better off with a pure fire pokemon?
Old September 12th, 2013 (1:45 PM).
Legit Boss
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet
Besides the game corner, is there another way to get the Flamethrower TM in Pokemon Gold?
Old September 12th, 2013 (6:16 PM).
i'm in your conscience
Super ModeratorCS

Nature: Timid
Flamethrower isn't a TM in GSC, unfortunately. The only way to get Flamethrower is by level up (which isn't a large array of Pokemon) or the move tutor in Crystal. Or cheating, buuuut...;(
Old October 5th, 2013 (2:10 PM).
I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.

Nature: Bashful
Hi, can you guys advise on the legitimacy of this cart. please? Not sure if it is or not, but curious now..

http://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/pokemon-crystal/3862762

And a picture of the cart:

Going from the one picture the seller posted it doesn't look too convincing. I'm aware that the standard Crystal Cartridge looks way different so I really dunno what to think of it.

Opinions?
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links