The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Waudby
Pokémon Odyssey!

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wichu View Post
For the AI, may I suggest you use a system similar to the one in poccil's starter kit?

Basically, each move has a certain chance of being used. The chance increases if it's super effective, and decreases if it's not very effective. Also, most move effects have conditions associated with them, which also affect the chance of it being picked. For example, a healing move's chance will increase if the user has low HP, or a stat-up move's chance will decrease if the user already has +6 in that stat.
I was going to take a look at the starter kits AI system before doing my own. I was planning a system like that where certain flags increase the chance, I think I'll have an array the same saze as the number of moves (1-4) which each have their own value, for each flag which is true to that move it will increase. So if the move is super effective, then it's plus one, or if the HP is below 50% it will increase by 1, at 25% it will increase by 2 and at 12.5% it will increase by three. And then like you said based on the stat up moves.

I may also take the stats up moves one step further and check to see if the opponents stats are higher than a certain point and if so then the chance of stat reduction is higher. I will eventually add in ideas for move linking as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macintosh View Post
The water's edge tiles are kinda bugging me, they seem better suited to a swamp :3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Reactor View Post
i agree with mason, maybe if you change the pallet to look more like sand?
When put next to just grass and not the paths it looks fine, I'll try and adjust it a little bit to better suit the paths as well. I really want to work on my towns and REALLY make them shine, anyone willing to help me learn to map better?

~Credit to Kyledove for the tiles.
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Virtual Chatot
Himmelreich

Send a message via AIM to Virtual Chatot
Sprite some things you would find near the water...Like a park bench or some weeds in the water.
Old March 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
SL1MSHADY
WATCH THE THRONE

Nature: Brave
about your request, do you mean fixing the maps to see more natural or the tiles?

Old March 10th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Waudby
Pokémon Odyssey!

Since the graphical change, i've been trying a few new ideas for some maps.

This is a prototype version of the starting town and Route 301, what do people think? Suggestions to make it better?

Spoiler:

:D

Old March 10th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Pikachu Trainer~
PokéDex Project

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Pikachu Trainer~
Woah Waudby, this is an excellent map, I especially like the houses and the lab sprites they are amazing. I can only see one mistake, if you look above the bridge at on of the trees at the end of a line of them, one of them has a bit cut off. Keep up the good work, i'll definitely keep watch on this thread.
Old March 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Forever Forbidden
Takes the longest shortcut.

Nature: Lonely
Thats not too bad, however, if you use some of Kyles tiles, why not have the tile used for water in tha water? The tiles are quite nice.

My new Pachirisu!
Pokepet by FlameJuli
Games I Support
Spoiler:

Old March 10th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

Nature: Relaxed
Nice map. No errors, the mountain tiles look cool, don't think I seen them.
If your looking for suggestions (which I think you asked for) would be maybe remove some of the tall grass (where wild Pokemon battles happen) under the ledge the player can jump around the left/middle part. Those ledges are used to block where the player can and can't go and to avoid any tedious battles the player has when backtracking (since in most of the maps in the official games, the player can short cut jump over the ledges back to a town). So it will be a nice way for the player not have to run into so many battles if they are looking to explore your world.

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
Old March 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM
PoKéMaKeR
Pokemon Rancher creator!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PoKéMaKeR
Nice job Waudby although I think I see some small errors:
The trees left of the small house are "on top" of the small house, this also counts for the trees right of the lower big house.
And as pointed out already, the tree above the bridge misses a bit.
And just an idea about the trees, you might want to make them a little bit thinner, because in my opinion it doesn't look right one tree on top of the other one..
Overall this is a good game and I hope to see some more in the future!

PoKéMaKeR

Last update on the Rancher thread: February 26th 2009

Old March 10th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

Nature: Rash
what happened to the old starting town?
the one with like, the shrine of that one guy? and it was winter and stuff? and it had that little battle arena? just curious :|
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Waudby
Pokémon Odyssey!

Quote:
what happened to the old starting town?
the one with like, the shrine of that one guy? and it was winter and stuff? and it had that little battle arena? just curious
Well since the game took a new direction, I decided to have a change, I still have that map and my recycle it, but I just wanted to give the game a fresh start after everything happened.

And this is only just a test map, it may or may not be used depending on people's opinions of it.

Old March 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

oh alright.
well all looks good, but I would add some more foliage in the town.
perhaps some more flowers towards the top left of the bottom building... so like corner of the trees, do you know what i mean?
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

I think maybe using another type of tree in the town also would spice it up a bit. Though it is a nice map nonetheless.

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Waudby
Pokémon Odyssey!

Quote:
oh alright.
well all looks good, but I would add some more foliage in the town.
perhaps some more flowers towards the top left of the bottom building... so like corner of the trees, do you know what i mean?
Yeah I know what you mean, I'm now working on some newer tiles which include some foliage and also some weeds and stuff for the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuoaman View Post
I think maybe using another type of tree in the town also would spice it up a bit. Though it is a nice map nonetheless.
Yeah I was thinking about putting some of the smaller trees around the area. Hopefully I'll have a new version up tomorrow with some improvements.

Last edited by Waudby; March 10th, 2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Waudby
Pokémon Odyssey!

Just another a small mapping update, I have now finished;
• Starting Town
• First Route
• Second Town
• Second Route
• First City

Here are two screenshots from my currently untitled beach town;

This is just one side of the city, the other side has the more port orientated stuff in :D

Old March 12th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Nice, as always. Do you need a name for the city?
GL!
Old March 12th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Waudby
Pokémon Odyssey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Watermelon View Post
Nice, as always. Do you need a name for the city?
GL!
Once I've fully revealed the whole map then I will perhaps hold a contest for a name.

Old March 12th, 2009, 06:18 AM
Neo-Dragon
Game Developer

The trees in between the stalls really take the look away from the idea of this little fish market inspired area. Who would set up stalls were many people can't walk?
The stalls themselves look neat with the tarp covers.
Also, I noticed the mart guy isn't there in the first screenshot. Does that mean they work at certain times, or where you just testing out the map when the first screenshot was taken?

I really hope you taking this and my last mapping advice into consideration. Your mapping skills are really good, and give off a true Pokemon region feel (no need for clutter and stuff), so I don't want little errors to ruin it.

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-...s/326374858787
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Waudby
Pokémon Odyssey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Dragon View Post
The trees in between the stalls really take the look away from the idea of this little fish market inspired area. Who would set up stalls were many people can't walk?
The stalls themselves look neat with the tarp covers.
Also, I noticed the mart guy isn't there in the first screenshot. Does that mean they work at certain times, or where you just testing out the map when the first screenshot was taken?

I really hope you taking this and my last mapping advice into consideration. Your mapping skills are really good, and give off a true Pokemon region feel (no need for clutter and stuff), so I don't want little errors to ruin it.
Yeah I was just testing the map out with an NPC there but they may only appear there during the day

As for the trees near the stalls, it was just an idea to fill a little bit of space, but I'll try without them as they do cramp the area a bit.

I want to show off the rest of the map to you guys, but the tiles aren't finished yet.

Just another small map update again, here's one screen of the other side of the city.

It shows the Tackle Shop, a place to go and get upgrades on your rod as well as new bait and, to report to the Master Fisher when you locate some of the secret fishing spots.

Last edited by Waudby; March 12th, 2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

awesome! that will make fishing that much more fun. good idea man.
the tiles look really nice too :]
Old March 12th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Waudby
Pokémon Odyssey!

Quote:
awesome! that will make fishing that much more fun. good idea man.
the tiles look really nice too :]
Thanks man.

Yeah the different baits will help attract the different types of pokemon just like in real life. I want to add a bit more to the official ones because I feel like it's not really explored as fully as it could be.

The secret fishing spots idea will also be helpful to fill up the pokedex a bit, with certain pokemon only able to be found there. It really adds a feel of exploration to the game if you can be bothered to do it

Old March 12th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Chimchar 9
inactive ~ depression :/

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Chimchar 9
Nice updates !
It looks like this is going really well.
Good luck!

Buizel 9 ~
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:37 PM
blueguy
No capitalization required. ;D

Nature: Quirky
I like your current starting town. It's nice and simple, but not boring. Neo's right about the ledge thing. ;D It's a series staple for the ledges to be your best friend when avoiding the tall grass.
Old March 12th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Mista T
Pityin' fools.

Nature: Jolly
Various baits: that's the kind of idea that separates the mundane from the unique. It will be interesting to see how you implement the feature; if bait will be consumed after use or if it will be reusable. This looks to be a great game! I love seeing how you methodically approach each of your ideas. Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Garbodium?feature=guide
Old March 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Waudby
Pokémon Odyssey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buizel 9 View Post
Nice updates !
It looks like this is going really well.
Good luck!

Buizel 9 ~
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguy View Post
I like your current starting town. It's nice and simple, but not boring. Neo's right about the ledge thing. ;D It's a series staple for the ledges to be your best friend when avoiding the tall grass.
Yeah I agree with you and Neo, i've changed the grass near the ledge to give a more open area.

I'm trying to make them look as good as I can so it's good to get this feedback :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
Various baits: that's the kind of idea that separates the mundane from the unique. It will be interesting to see how you implement the feature; if bait will be consumed after use or if it will be reusable. This looks to be a great game! I love seeing how you methodically approach each of your ideas. Good luck!
Thanks a lot. I'm just trying to extend things a bit more as personally, I hardly ever used the fishing rod in recent games.

And the bait will be a one use thing, but it wont be expensive to buy. I'm going to make a proper update later on today which details more about it.

Old March 13th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Atomic Reactor
@atomicreactor
Community Supporter

So then different baits will get different Pokemon?
If so then that's great. Cause having like... a super bait, that gets all of them, is kinda lame.
Maybe you can apply the same ideas to like, a net? like for smaller bug Pokemon?
Hmm... or a hunting one! where you shoot down stantler! You know what... nvm that idea. It's not a very good one lol. But the net thing could work maybe. Especially like in bug catching contests.

Sponsored Links