< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Hacks Studio > Progressing Hacks FireRed Kanto Roads v0.1 Showcase Demo

Notices

Progressing Hacks The forum for submitting your hack in production. Everyone's welcome, and you may come and find a hack that's starting out or make your own hack. For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Reply Post Reply

Old March 21st, 2016 (9:58 AM). Edited March 29th, 2016 by firestarterbeststarter!.
Novice hacker

Introduction
Hello, I am FSBS. You may recognize me from such forums as the Beginner's Lounge, r/pokemonromhacks, and hacking threads on /vp/.
Kanto Roads is yet another Kanto Redesign and 386 hack. The linked demo is from my first attempt; however, I came out of it dissatisfied with my maps, features, and limitations. After re-drafting the initial areas, I came to realize in order to polish the demo I would need to start all over, take my time, and not put off any issues or scripting probles until they were solved.
Though it is in its third month and third incarnation, the third time is always the charm for me. This hack will come hell or high water, and as I live in Florida it may very well be both. It's just a matter of whether or not I can wrap my head around more advanced scripting and this whole ASM thing.
Current Features
*from MrDollSteak's Decap and Attack ROM base
-Fairy Type!*
-Physical/Special Split*
-131 New Gen 4 and 5 moves*
-National Dex*
-Updated Move Effects, Base Power and Accuracy for existing moves*
-Updated Movesets for Pokémon*
-New Abilities*
-Redesigned routes and towns-some minor, some major; necessary for certain plot and world changes
-386 Pokémon from the first 3 generations
-Completely rewritten dialogue for most NPCs
-Scripted pokemon events for rare pokemon
-Gym Leaders using pokemon found in their general region
-New trainer classes with their own lore-battle Pokémon Trainers, Adventurers, Ranchers, the disbanded Clans of the Indigo Tribe, and many more!
-A new take on the classic Generation 1/3 story
-Marts now carry a larger selection of items
-All evolutions have been changed to level or stone-no more happiness or trades
-Old Rod available on Route 1
Planned Features
-New secondary Rival-Junior Ranger Green of the Indigo League Rangers!
-Scripted events that bring Gym Leaders and Elite Four members more prominently into the plot and legendary encounters!
-Mt. Silver, the Tohjo Frontier, and the Dragon Tamers replacing the Sevii Islands as post-game content! (I planned on doing all of Johto initially but that's changed)
-A smaller Team Rocket with unique members who utilize specialized teams for their operations
-TM list completely changed
-Leaders no longer give out TMs, instead they give out HMs (it makes more sense in the context of this universe)
Story

Kanjo. It is a region constantly at odds with itself and history.
The region can be divided into three sub-regions.
Kanto, the east. Civilized, modern, democratic. The city-states of the Kanto Confederacy were built in an ancient era by the Sea Peoples, who are said to have migrated from distant Hoenn. Legend has it that they were refugees from a cataclysm caused by the feuding Groudon and Kyogre. Throughout history, the Saffron Hegemony dominated neighboring Celadon, Vermillion, and Cerulean, which Fuchsia opposed and fought many wars of aggression from the central city-state; at times in league with a rebellious Vermillion or perenially isolationist Cinnabar.
Cerulean itself was an eclectic mix of Indigo Tribesfolk and Sea Peoples. The trading town was often beseiged by the Mountain Clan before they were driven from Mount Moon by the Lunar Witches.
Indigo, the central mountain region. Dominated by the Indigo Clan at their eponymous plateau, their authority spanned Pewter, Viridian, the sleepy hamlet of Pallet, and on occasion Cinnabar Island. Indigo was a blend of modern and traditionalist, as befit its position between progressive Kanto and rustic Johto. The Indigo clans claimed descent from the Sky God, whom researchers have equated with the legendary Rayquaza.
Ever hungry for territory in the dry climate, the clans would unite under a single war-lord from time to time and march on Kanto or eastern Johto, conquering and exacting tribute until driven off by some hero or other.
Cinnabar was said to have been settled by the same people who settled Hoenn, but before the cataclysm. They were among the most war-like of all Indigo Clans, raiding the coastlines of Vermillion, Fuchsia, Pallet; evidence of their raiding has been found as far west as Cianwood. Cinnabar reavers were instrumental in the Indigo Clan's attack on Johto, landing in Goldenrod and meeting Lord Giovanni's army at Route 36.
Johto is the western section of Kanjo. A rural collection of city-states and shogunates, modern comforts were slow to reach it. The region was never united willingly-though many such as Drake the Dragonlord of Blackthorn tried. Instead, the peoples kept to themselves, trading and carrying on much as their ancestors always had-though Bark Town did boast a modest college where the science of Pokemon was studied, with alums including Professors Oak and Amber.
Johto was host to a great many legends as befit it's nature-the Reborn Three of the Silver Tower, the Great Rainbow Bird of the Gold Tower, the legend of the seas Lugia and its three elemental wards.
In fact, these nine legendary Pokemon were instrumental in keeping the Indigo armies from conquering the region outright, as legends became a reality in the war. The Reborn Three stood guard at the three entry points to Ecruteak to fend off agressors while Ho-Oh took to the skies on dark nights to burn the enemies of Johto wherever it found them. Lugia protected the Sacred Whirl Islands, while its three wards attacked enemy ships from Cianwood all the way to Cinnabar.
Indeed, the might of the Johto legends spurred the search for the mythical Mew by Indigo scientists in an effort to gain a powerful Pokémon for themselves.
It took nearly five years of Giovanni in hiding on Cinnabar to perfect Mewtwo. But when they did, it went berserk. The Institute burned down, and Mewtwo went missing. All the grand plans of striking Johto once more, of dominating the ascendant Elite Four, burned down with the institute and disappeared with Mewtwo.
By then, Dr. Fuji had retired and Dr. Blaine had exchanged information with the Elite Four for a position as Leader of Cinnabar.
The Elite Four have sent an invitation to Giovanni-assume the mantle of Viridian Leader-in hopes of using him to track down Mewtwo and destroy it. But Giovanni has other plans-he would capture Mewtwo and use it to destroy the Elite Four and conquer all of Kanjo once and for all.
Five years after the Great War was ended by the Elite Four and the Indigo Clans dispersed, the Pokemon League Challenge has finally opened. The Eight Leaders of the major settlements in Kanto have been issued badges to give to those on the Challenge. Those who acquire all 8, defeat the Elite Four in competition, and best the secret leader of Indigo Plateau will take their place as a Champion of the Pokemon League.
You and your rival now race to complete their pokedex catalogues for Professor Oak and take a place alongside the Elite Four as Champions of the Indigo Pokémon League!
Meanwhile Giovanni, former Indigo Clan Warmaster, seeks the means to recover his Ultimate Weapon created in the final days of the Great War. He has assembled a Team to acquire weapons and technology towards this nefarious end! Will anyone be able to stop him? Find out when Kanto Roads releases someday!

Known Bugs (first run demo)
The scripted NPC at the Pewter side of Route 3 will walk through scenery taking you there. This is only because I haven't quite grasped how to enable running shoes without this NPC event.
A similar occurrence with Oak in the beginning; nevertheless, neither should break your game.
Though I playtested as I went and looked over all maps and movement permissions before I made an IPS patch, there may be some things I missed. Please report them to me and I will release a fix patch for anything major.
Progress
Spoiler:
Stage 1: Pallet to Cerulean side of Route 4 FIRST RUN DEMO COMPLETE; SECOND RUN DEMO IN PROGRESS
Stage 2: Cerulean through Vermillion Gym
Stage 3: Route 9 through Lavender Tower
Stage 4: Saffron through Fuchsia
Stage 5: Route 12 through Cinnabar
Stage 6: Route 21 to Endgame
Phase 2: Tohjo Frontier Postgame

First Run Demo
Screenshots
Spoiler:

Original Maps
http://imgur.com/a/Q5omw
THANKS TO (so far)
Beginner's Lounge help
FBI
DizzyEgg
Crystal_
BluRose
Hashtag
Rainbow
Mapping advice and tutoring
Rainbow
Anons at /vp/
Discussion
Deokishisu
Imafruitbat
DizzyEgg
Crystal_
shadykirby321
Scripting help
diegoisawesome and his tutorial
nuzlockerom120
XSE101 youtube channel (this actually helped tons)
If I missed your name, please notify me. I'm happy to give credit where credit is due
And everyone involved in the development of the following
Tools used
A-Map
A-trainer
LSA's Intro Text Editor
Free Space Finder
XSE
Gen 3 Tools
DOWNLOAD PROOF OF CONCEPT FIRST RUN DEMO
http://www.mediafire.com/download/bj...wcase_Demo.rar
Note that you must patch to a clean Fire Red (U) Rom for this to work.
It's a very rough cut. Enjoy!
KANTO ROADS

First attempt demo
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=365632

Relevant Advertising!

Old March 21st, 2016 (1:31 PM).
Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
Looks ssssssssmokin'

Just a clarifying question, I see you've put up wild grass in what looks like Pewter City and Viridian City. Is grass in cities going to be a common thing? Because it always felt like inhabited cities would logically cut down all pokemon grass so little suzy doesn't get mauled by a lv100 houndour while on her way to the poke mart. I'm guessing so it's to fit in all 386 pokemon in one game?
Being a hero is overrated anyways
Old March 21st, 2016 (6:08 PM).
Free supporter
Silver Tier

I'm happy to see you make a hack like this. I feel good knowing that you stuck around and learned as much about the basics revolving around scripting and mapping and various other small things before making a hack. It looks nice, and definitely better than most people's first hack, so congratulations. And welcome to ROM hacking!

Something that I see very often in your maps are single tile walking areas. You should allow the player more freedom in how they are allowed to move in the map, and one tile paths feel restricting and overall less enjoyable to play through. This sort of mapping sense will come as you observe more maps made by others and map more yourself. The scripts seem fine to me, of course I can't gauge quality of those just by looking at the words people are saying, but I think they're pretty neat. Good luck with this FSBS!

My Stuff:
ASM tutorials
C tutorial
YT Random Hacks
GitHub

My Contributions:
Hack Chat
ASM Resource Thread
Old March 22nd, 2016 (4:25 AM).
Novice hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post
Looks ssssssssmokin'

Just a clarifying question, I see you've put up wild grass in what looks like Pewter City and Viridian City. Is grass in cities going to be a common thing? Because it always felt like inhabited cities would logically cut down all pokemon grass so little suzy doesn't get mauled by a lv100 houndour while on her way to the poke mart. I'm guessing so it's to fit in all 386 pokemon in one game?

You know, I didn't consider the logic. My own logic goes that every town I've ever been to or lived in has a patch of tall grass somewhere, hidden or otherwise. Dangerous pokemon in the tall grass would be dealt with by the local Gym, of course. Some towns like Lavender won't have any tall grass, while others like Saffron will have warps into special areas (I'm thinking a dark/psychic inhabited forest.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
I'm happy to see you make a hack like this. I feel good knowing that you stuck around and learned as much about the basics revolving around scripting and mapping and various other small things before making a hack. It looks nice, and definitely better than most people's first hack, so congratulations. And welcome to ROM hacking!

Something that I see very often in your maps are single tile walking areas. You should allow the player more freedom in how they are allowed to move in the map, and one tile paths feel restricting and overall less enjoyable to play through. This sort of mapping sense will come as you observe more maps made by others and map more yourself. The scripts seem fine to me, of course I can't gauge quality of those just by looking at the words people are saying, but I think they're pretty neat. Good luck with this FSBS!

The only places I can really think of where this happens are in caves and the Mount Moon Slope; caves can be narrow and tight in places, and mountain trails can be narrow. Nonetheless, I will take this observation to heart in my future endeavors and review the maps thus far to better consider it.
My scripts are incredibly basic message, giveitem, and trainerbattle 0x0. I'm going to keep working with more advanced scripting (still trying to work out a trainer disappearing after battle) because it's essential to what I'm doing with Team Rocket and the overall storyline.
And thank you for welcoming me. This release isn't much, but it's a huge leap for me. I used to look at hacking like a monumental thing for those versed in program and mathematics but with some patience, research, and rigorous trial and error I see that anyone could do it with enough persistence. And a little help from the masters, of course.
KANTO ROADS

First attempt demo
Old March 23rd, 2016 (6:11 AM).
ModeratorCSPokéCommunity Daily Staff

I echo FBI that it's really nice to see someone take on board Beginner's Lounge help and progress with it. I think your maps are a bit empty but also don't always leave enough space for the player to manoeuvre, you're from one extreme to the other so if you find a medium inbetween it should be good. Solid start so far though.

Pokémon Trinity
[16:53] @Christοs: i like kids
Old March 23rd, 2016 (11:32 AM).
Novice hacker

Thanks, hashtag. This kind of feedback is exactly why I dropped a demo-so I can know what I'm doing wrong.
KANTO ROADS

First attempt demo
Old March 23rd, 2016 (9:41 PM).

U must add the physical/special split to the game
Old March 23rd, 2016 (11:26 PM).

Would you be alright with anyone doing a 'lets play' of this hack on youtube? Looks great, congrats on the amazing work!
Old March 24th, 2016 (4:40 AM).
Novice hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVrai View Post
U must add the physical/special split to the game
Already done with MrDollSteak's rom base. National Dex, Phys/Spec split, Fairy type, updates moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teollisuus View Post
Would you be alright with anyone doing a 'lets play' of this hack on youtube? Looks great, congrats on the amazing work!
If you'd like, by all means but I'd wait until the project is finished (a year, maybe) because I've set up an impassable roadblock at the end of Route 4. It would be a very short LP. I couldn't even recommend nuzlocking it yet, since it's so short. This demo is simply a proof of concept.
KANTO ROADS

First attempt demo
Old March 25th, 2016 (9:10 AM).
Novice hacker

Based on feedback from FBI and hashtag, I've been reworking my maps. I'll continue doing so as I work out scripting and events for what I've gotten done so far. I've also included a draft of Cerulean; it too will need to be reworked a little bit. I took a page from Doesntknowhowtoplay's Yet Another Fire Red Hack and moved Surge to Cerulean, as it's closer to the Power Plant.
Spoiler:
KANTO ROADS

First attempt demo
Old 2 Weeks Ago (5:51 AM).

Bruh, you wrote that entire essay just to tell me the basic FireRed storyline? Hopefully it's different in the actual game but that muk tilted me.
Old 1 Week Ago (5:03 AM).

Very interesting rom.
Old 1 Week Ago (10:03 AM).
ModeratorCS

Nature: Bold

Kanto Roads is on the Hacks Spotlight!

Today we're checking out Kanto Roads on PC's official Hacks Spotlight Series! Be sure to come check it out and leave a like to show your support.

Click here to watch.
Old 1 Week Ago (12:14 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Spherical Ice.
Novice hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achromatic View Post

Kanto Roads is on the Hacks Spotlight!

Today we're checking out Kanto Roads on PC's official Hacks Spotlight Series! Be sure to come check it out and leave a like to show your support.

Click here to watch.
I've been reworking all these maps this past month, so while the demo isn't accurate exactly to the final product (though conceptually similar), I'm flattered by your enthusiasm and glad you enjoyed what little you played.
KANTO ROADS

First attempt demo
Old 1 Week Ago (12:21 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Spherical Ice.
Novice hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only God View Post
Bruh, you wrote that entire essay just to tell me the basic FireRed storyline? Hopefully it's different in the actual game but that **** tilted me.
Basic Fire Red Story: Kid gets Pokedex and a starter, catches them all, beats the gyms/leagues/champion/Team Rocket, captures Mewtwo.

Kanto Roads: Five years after an war initiated by the aggressive tribes of Indigo Plateau and Western Kanto, the Elite Four have opened up the 8 Gym Pokémon League Challenge with an open invitation, should anybody complete it, to join their ranks. Kid gets his Licensed Trainer Starter Kit (Pokedex, running shoes, pokeballs, starter Pokémon), beats the gyms/league/champion all while foiling the schemes of Team Rocket and Giovanni to reacquire a lost weapon to finish the war, culminating in a final confrontation between the weapon, Giovanni, and the player at Mt. Silver.
I've got the basic plot figured with an ending, I just gotta figure out how to integrate the Hoenn and Johto Legendaries into the story. Or maybe I can just replace them with some Gen 4 cross-evos, that'd probably make more sense than one person capturing the legendary monsters that kept Giovanni from conquering Johto.
KANTO ROADS

First attempt demo
Old 1 Week Ago (12:48 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarterbeststarter! View Post
Basic Fire Red Story: Kid gets Pokedex and a starter, catches them all, beats the gyms/leagues/champion/Team Rocket, captures Mewtwo.

Kanto Roads: Five years after an war initiated by the aggressive tribes of Indigo Plateau and Western Kanto, the Elite Four have opened up the 8 Gym Pokémon League Challenge with an open invitation, should anybody complete it, to join their ranks. Kid gets his Licensed Trainer Starter Kit (Pokedex, running shoes, pokeballs, starter Pokémon), beats the gyms/league/champion all while foiling the schemes of Team Rocket and Giovanni to reacquire a lost weapon to finish the war, culminating in a final confrontation between the weapon, Giovanni, and the player at Mt. Silver.
I've got the basic plot figured with an ending, I just gotta figure out how to integrate the Hoenn and Johto Legendaries into the story. Or maybe I can just replace them with some Gen 4 cross-evos, that'd probably make more sense than one person capturing the legendary monsters that kept Giovanni from conquering Johto.
Alright, thank you. How far does the demo go up too?
Old 1 Week Ago (5:21 AM).
One Puunchhh

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Omega
Hey, a remake of FireRed! I guess this hack is actually good. It also got a spotlight too. Well, gonna play it and good luck!
Old 1 Week Ago (9:23 AM).
Novice hacker

QUOTE=The Only God;9215813]Alright, thank you. How far does the demo go up too?[ QUOTE]
Up to the Cerulean side of Route 4. Play the demo, enjoy it, but the next playable release will look a little different since technical difficulties or artistic redirection made me start over shortly after I dropped the demo. I'm going to post my updated maps in this thread when I've finished redrafting them; I post quite a bit on /heg/ over at /vp/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
Hey, a remake of FireRed! I guess this hack is actually good. It also got a spotlight too. Well, gonna play it and good luck!

Thanks! I think it's a good start myself! Of course, I've learned tons in regards to mapping since I made this demo. Next release is going to be 3 Gyms and each release built on that version. I'd like to say maybe another month, but probably 3 or 4.
KANTO ROADS

First attempt demo
Reply Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links