< >
Hello, guest! Please log in or register.

The PokéCommunity

Go Back     The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology Alexa: Blocking adblock users decreases overall website visits, such practices may also be illegal in Europe

Notices

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Reply Post Reply

Old 4 Weeks Ago (6:50 PM).
burning passion
ModeratorCS

Nature: Brave
Quote:
For news publishers the world is constantly ending – not only in over-caffeinated headlines but behind the scenes too. It’s always been so, from Gutenberg to Wapping riots to the internet and the painful conversion from print to digital.

The latest Imminent Apocalypse is the dramatic rise in the use of adblockers – particularly new innovations in adblocking in the coveted mobile space, even at the network level.

Some news publishers have formed a small vanguard with what many business-folks might consider the ‘obvious’ response: to ban or attempt to ban users who consume their content without seeing their ads. In October of last year German publisher Axel Springer banned adblocking users from the popular Bild news website; in December Forbes put in mechanisms to impede content access to adblocking users; in February of this year Wired instituted adblock ban techniques; and in October of 2015 the City AM financial news website likewise ‘scrambled’ content for adblockers.

In all cases the warnings presented to the user instructed them to whitelist the site in their adblocker – or go away. In all cases there are various tricks, including the use of ‘reading’ mode and private browsing, which allow users to get round the blocks; but I thought it might be interesting to see how the sites in question are faring in the wake of their adblock ‘blockades’, according to internet monitoring service Alexa.
More here with graphs: https://thestack.com/world/2016/04/2...-be-suffering/

On a similar note, sites that detect adblockers could be illegal in Europe, according to some legal documents.

Does this news really come as a surprise though? Sites that deter users by blocking adblockers, which have perfectly legitimate uses (Such as spyware prevention, phishing protection, and a basic antivirus, among other things), are all over the web, yet they're not realizing that they're only hurting themselves by turning away potential visitors. What do you think of this?

In addition, what about sites that detect adblockers? Should they be illegal? Who do you side with, Europe's law or the publishers of these websites that use this technology to serve data to potential customers?
CONTENTS
  COMPUTERS & TECHNOLOGY
  VISITOR MESSAGE
  PRIVATE MESSAGE
  PUSHING BUTTONS
  PUSHING BUTTONS BLOG
  ALT
  PHO
  PAIR 1
  PAIR 2
  TWITTER
SEEN

OWN
DATA
CRY
AREA
QUIT

Relevant Advertising!

Old 4 Weeks Ago (8:12 PM).
Ridiculously unsure
Silver Tier

Nature: Timid
On one hand, I can understand the view of the website owners. They need ads to be viewed since it is a method of income and that's always important. In fact, around a year ago, there was an incident where a German company took AdBlock Plus to court, claiming it was illegal to block ads that bring in money (here). The court ruled in favour of AdBlock, declaring that it is perfectly legal.

On the other hand, and this is what I support, the freedom to block ads should be a basic right, much in the same way that the laws that deal with spam (here). Besides, most ads that are thrown in your face are completely unrelated and rarely ever make you want to buy the product (at least, to me).
KetsuekiR is dead. He was the Disguiser.

"Are you sure KetsuekiR was the disguiser though?"

#ONEderground
The Underground's 1st Anniversary Collab

The Underground Memorandum Google?
Old 4 Weeks Ago (6:03 AM).
love live/Final Fantasy fan also maki is mine

i dont like ads what so ever especially when the computer i had when i was at a vo-tech school got hit with a nasty virus from an infected ad
Old 4 Weeks Ago (1:09 PM).
(=^ェ^=)

It should be no surprised to any average user that if some website offers a bad experience by hindering people from viewing content by stigmatizing them for their choice to block adverts, then I wouldn't visit them again when there are plenty of other sites that do the same thing for free.

Rather than waste your money on putting measures to block ad blockers, it may be better to just ask nicely for people to support you by allowing donations/ subscriptions when they visit your site. The Guardian does this well.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (7:05 AM).
Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Hack!

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Micael Alighieri
It depends of the degree they use the ads, it's not the same a site where you'll have four pop ups on your screen than a site that only have some inoffensive and inocuous advertisements. Also, if the site shows or offer protected content as their sole goal (like online streaming), they shouldn't be allowed to block the aplications.
John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that everyone who believes into Him shall by no means perish but have eternal life.

Acts 2:21
And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't too scared to admit it, then copy and paste this into your signature.

Jesus is Lord!
Old 2 Weeks Ago (7:54 PM).
I'll standing strong.
Crystal Tier

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Starry Windy
Even though I understand that sites needs ads to survive, that doesn't mean that they have to force anybody to disable the adblocker if anyone wants to have access to the site, considering that adblocks can be useful for me in case I don't want to see some spywares and viruses.

Besides of that, such policies could backfire if the ads inside it happens to contains spywares and whatnot, which causes more damage and makes users tend to staying away from the site even further. In fact, from some articles that I've read somewhere, I know a certain site that have suffered hard after putting no adblocker policy and have to close down months later...

PC | LV | MyAnimeList | My Pairs | PC Family | PC Blog | Adoption Center | Discord | #TeamTrivia
Old 1 Week Ago (6:03 AM).
Lucario Fan

Nature: Mild
I think blocking adblock is a bad thing, because if adblockers want to support the site, they'll disable adblock anyway (like I do on PC).
lucario fan| geek | I don't have a 3ds | #teamlitten | my blog
Reply Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links