• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

A Beginner's guide to inserting d/p sprites into a gba rom(No need to outline)

Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2019
PLEASE DO NOT STEAL THIS.

This is a tutorial to insert sprites larger than 64x64 in a gba rom without you having to outline(so boring). This tutorial also works for backsprites.

Things you will need:

unlz-gba(hacked)(get it from hackmew's thread)
microsoft paint(comes with windows xp or vista)
a rom of your choice.(get it somewhere)
freespace finder(get it from hackmew's thread)
irfanview(just google it)

Stage 1(Spriting)

1. Open up the sprite u are inserting with paint. I will use torterra.
1-1.jpg

2. Fill the background with a color not used by the sprite. I will use blue.
1-2.jpg

3. Now goto Image>Stretch/Skew. Put both the circled values to 80 if u are using a d/p sprite or anything else if u are using some other sprite.
1-3.jpg

4. Save it. Now minimize paint and open up that picture in irfanview. Then go to Image>Decrease color depth. Select 16 Colors (4 BPP). The image will look a little messed up after this. Don't panic!
1-4.jpg

5. Now goto Image>Pallete>Edit Pallete. Find your background color there. Also open up a notepad or get something to write with. Write down the Value:RGB for the background color and the first color(in the left corner).
1-5.jpg

6. Now exchange those two colors. Double click the background color and put in the value of the first color.
1-6a.jpg

Double click the first color and put in the value of the background color.
1-6b.jpg

7. The image will look messed up again(and don't panic again).Now save the file from irfanview using a different name than the paint file. Close irfanview and the notepad.
1-7.jpg

8. Goto the minimized paint file press Ctrl+A(to select it) and press Ctrl+C(to copy it). ALso open up the irfanview file you just closed using paint.
1-8.jpg

9. Now press Ctrl+V(to paste it) in the messsed up picture.
it should look like this...
1-9.jpg

10.Save it and now u can delete the old picture but make sure you keep the new one.

Stage 2(Inserting)

1. Now,open up unlz-gba(hacked) and open your gba rom with it. Goto a picture you you want to replace. I will replace venusaur. Get the numbers for pokemons somewhere else. In firered the pokemon pictures start at 669.
2-1.jpg

2. Click import and select the file that you didn't delete.
2-2.jpg

3. Click write to rom.
2-3.jpg

4. Make sure "Expot Image" and "Auto Abort if new data is bigger" are checked and press ok. Uh-oh! It didn't work. Note the compressed size.
2-4.jpg

5. Now is the time for you to open up your free space finder. Open up your rom with it. Select "Search from the beginning of the ROM". In the right bottom corner in a box called "HEX", put in the Compressed Size i told you to note. You will have noticed that a number has appeared above that box in a box called "Dec". Copy the number in the Dec box to the "Needed Bytes" box. Note the numbers/letters(HEX Number) that appeared.
2-5.jpg

6. Go back to unLz-GBA(hacked). and click on write to rom again. This time also select the "Automatically Fix Pointer" box. In the box that says "Image Offset: put in the number I told you to note. Also don't forget the two zeros before the number.
2-6.jpg

7. Click ok and it should say something like this...
2-7.jpg

8. Almost done. Now click on write to rom again. But this time make sure you have only checked "Export Pallete" and ""Auto Abort if new data is bigger". Click ok.
2-8.jpg

9.Now you are done. Open up your rom and check it out. Here's mine.
2-9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

nemesish

Azure Trainer
Years
Finally a good way to do this.
Specially the indexing thing, since I have seen the replace-new-with-old-sprite-after-indexing thingy on only ONE tut apart of this.

Thank you

Years
  • Seen Apr 21, 2013
how or where can i find at what number pokemon pictures start at ruby?
great tutorial btw.

Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2019
yeah to change the backsprite its the same way but just make sure you go to previous pal and you don't need to export pallete if you have already put in the front sprite. oh ya i got the irfan view idea from u red yoshi

Years
  • Seen Apr 21, 2013
The same way as this, except you index the back sprite and search for the back sprite in unLZ-Gba and then replace it

Hey, i followed your steps and they've worked fine and i've been able to import some, but when i import weaville it never aborts. Does it work with Weaville?

RedYoshi

Wah! Yoshi!
Years
Hey, i followed your steps and they've worked fine and i've been able to import some, but when i import weaville it never aborts. Does it work with Weaville?

What do you mean by never aborts? Its only supposed to abort if the Sprite is too big and such.

RedYoshi

Wah! Yoshi!
Years
how can you insert the trainer sprites? cuz i tried it and it said image not indexed

It's pretty much the same thing as Pokemon Sprites except you don't need a back sprite for trainer sprites. The sprite you are inserting is not indexed, thus you cannot import it into the rom.

RedYoshi

Wah! Yoshi!
Years
Last edited:

madarawolf

Espada Cuarta
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2023
How would you insert all the forms of arceus? I looked at pokemon with diferent forms and they were just put on one picture. so I did that, I took a picture with all the forms on it, and when I tried to insert unlz-gba just closed.

RedYoshi

Wah! Yoshi!
Years
How would you insert all the forms of arceus? I looked at pokemon with diferent forms and they were just put on one picture. so I did that, I took a picture with all the forms on it, and when I tried to insert unlz-gba just closed.

Certain Pokemon are like that, such as the Unown. To insert all forms of Arceus you would have to use up the 25 empty slots or Overwrite some of the other Pokemon and edit the evolution.

Example : Use Fire Stone on Arceus = Fire Type Arceus and to revert Arceus back to "Normal" Arceus use something like a Moon Stone

SidDays

Professional Lurker
Years
Thank you! It works very well, but I believe the finished sprite still needs some cleaning. I did this with a Gallade sprite and used a violet background, but when I finished Gallade had a slightly violet border. Anyway it's not really evident in game, so it works.

madarawolf

Espada Cuarta
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2023
Thanks, I had thought of that but I prefered not ot do it like that. Oh, well I guess thats just what I'll have to do.

Back