Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Pixel Art
Notices

Pixel Art For your creative works that focus on every individual pixel. Share (but not steal) your works with others to suit many purposes.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 24th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Chesu
Boss Carrot

Nature: Relaxed

Advertise here
This thread is one year old today, and I'd just like everyone to know... I really am making more tutorials! Honest! The next two tutorials in the works are Trainer Backsprites and Establishing Shots; if there's a tutorial that you would like to see which isn't listed in purple at the bottom of the first post, let me know in a VM!

Updated 11/07/10.
Old April 24th, 2010, 06:23 PM
nmorr
Takin a brake. -_-

Nature: Jolly
I can't wait for the next turtorial!
This signature has been disabled.
Spoiler tags in Signatures are not allowed
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old April 25th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Cyberglass
the stuff Porygon are made of

Thanks for the great tutorial, Chesu! I've been sitting on some fakemon ideas for a while, and now I feel confident that I can bring them to life.

Here is my first "good" sprite:
Sauraxe, Dark/Steel
Mostly from scratch, except for the arms.
What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: png Sauraxe sprite 2.png‎ (2.7 KB, 426 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old April 25th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Pokemonforeva
Beginning Trainer

One thing I don't see there is like a scratch sprite tutorial for like D P Plt HG SS Sprites.

When you said Overworld did u mean both DP FR LG Style or what?
Old April 26th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemonforeva View Post
One thing I don't see there is like a scratch sprite tutorial for like D P Plt HG SS Sprites.

When you said Overworld did u mean both DP FR LG Style or what?
You can use his tutorials for 4th gen sprites, you just need to remember that the limit is 80x80 for regular sprites instead of 64x64. And in his overworld tutorial he showed you with D/P/Pt, Fr/Lg and R/S/E for a large part of the tutorial.
Old April 26th, 2010, 10:45 PM
itistheriz
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberglass View Post
Thanks for the great tutorial, Chesu! I've been sitting on some fakemon ideas for a while, and now I feel confident that I can bring them to life.

Here is my first "good" sprite:
Sauraxe, Dark/Steel
Mostly from scratch, except for the arms.
What do you think?
I like it.
I do think the black portion of the tail needs some highlights though. You have plenty of gray colors already, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Old May 17th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Swinoob
... [I am not a talker].

Well, it's not all that bad, really, especially for a first try. The only two problems I can really see are: A. His pose doesn't really look right. His legs are facing towards the front, but the rest of his body from the waist up is facing to the left. This looks very unnatural. Try to replicate the pose of your sprites in the mirror if it helps. If it looks or feels unnatural, then you should probably change your sprite accordingly; and B. The entire outline of his right arm is completely unshaded. Even though the light source is hardly hitting him there, it would at least look better if you got rid of that black outline.
I know I don't seem like one to mentor you on your spriting skills, but trust me, I've been doing it for a long time.
Why does everybody hate Joey? There are far more annoying people out there, like Liz the Picknicker ["Listen, listen! My Nidoran Female is so pretty... and... giggle... so awesome... yes... OMG I'm so sorry I just waisted half your day! See Ya!"] and Irwin the Juggler ["Hearing about your escapades rocks my soul. It sure does!"].
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:05 PM
nmorr
Takin a brake. -_-

Here's my first few pokemon I sprited after this turtorial.

They're in my pokemon game so don't steal them,

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Swinoob
... [I am not a talker].

No offense, nmorr, but I can't really tell what that sprite of yours is meant to look like. I guess it sort of looks like a new Rotom Forme. I'm not saying it's bad, though, I'm just curious as to what it might be based off of.
Why does everybody hate Joey? There are far more annoying people out there, like Liz the Picknicker ["Listen, listen! My Nidoran Female is so pretty... and... giggle... so awesome... yes... OMG I'm so sorry I just waisted half your day! See Ya!"] and Irwin the Juggler ["Hearing about your escapades rocks my soul. It sure does!"].
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Chesu
Boss Carrot

I like the colors on the second one, but like Swinoob, I can't really tell what it's supposed to be...

Updated 11/07/10.
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:40 AM
nmorr
Takin a brake. -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinoob View Post
No offense, nmorr, but I can't really tell what that sprite of yours is meant to look like. I guess it sort of looks like a new Rotom Forme. I'm not saying it's bad, though, I'm just curious as to what it might be based off of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesu View Post
I like the colors on the second one, but like Swinoob, I can't really tell what it's supposed to be...
It's a custom pokemon of mine, it's not supposed to look like a pokemon that already exsists.

Old June 10th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Negative-Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmorr View Post
It's a custom pokemon of mine, it's not supposed to look like a pokemon that already exsists.
he means what item or animal is the sprite based off of.
it looks kinda like a flaming geodude with straight arms
Old June 11th, 2010, 12:04 PM
nmorr
Takin a brake. -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negative-Zero View Post
he means what item or animal is the sprite based off of.
it looks kinda like a flaming geodude with straight arms
Oh, I think I undersand. I made it from scratch, using colours of Charazards Tail sprite. The flame. I probably could have used a base, but where's the fun with that?!

Old June 11th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Cyberglass
the stuff Porygon are made of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmorr View Post
Oh, I think I undersand. I made it from scratch, using colours of Charazards Tail sprite. The flame. I probably could have used a base, but where's the fun with that?!
I don't think that's what they were asking, either. What is it supposed to BE? i.e. is the first one based on an egg beater, or is it holding loops of fire? And what is the thing in the middle of the wheel of fire in the third image based off of; what are its physical characteristics, that is, where is its face, etc. Right now I can't even tell if the first two are supposed to be the same as the last three...
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:42 PM
nmorr
Takin a brake. -_-

Okay, based on my pokedex definition for them, the first one is a guardian pokemon for Moltres. The 2nd set is a Motor, you know for cars?

(EXTRA INFO) I started off drawing a pikachu and failing when I made that pokemon. I scribbled it out, flipped over the page, and I saw the image of Blazmotor, the 2nd pokemon there. I just drew Blaznom, the 1st, as a random evolution.

I hope what I said was right...

Old June 13th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Chibi Robo
of the entire epoch!

Chesu's Pixel art tutorial isnt very specific when it comes to spriting hair so I made a full out new pokemon ow tut. Should help quite a few people with hair for ows.

(Tutorial is in attachments)
Attached Files
File Type: rar Ow tut.rar‎ (4.4 KB, 47 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Pair: Vrai
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:25 PM
wobbuffett
USELESS Pokemon

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to wobbuffett
Wow, that was really helpful I have now made a sprite for my little Fakemon

(I'm attempting to fill a whole dex, only it's really not gonna happen xD)

But I made a shiny too! I would post them but I cba to put them on photobucket etc.

Anyway, the point was, thanks for the tutorial, I am very much obliged.
"Two words come to mind, and those words are PAR-TAY!"
"WOBB!"

ポケットモンスタすごいですね!

Inter vitam et mortem semper affectus est.
Inter deum et diabolum semper musica est.
Between life and death there is always emotion.
Between God and the Devil there is always music.

Quote:
Youngster? How rude! Call me Shorts Boy!

Feed Me!
Current Challenge; Nuzlocke Challenge - Pokemon Pearl

Stand And Deliver...
Spoiler:
To Adam and the Ants.
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:38 AM
scientic
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Calm
Thank you so much for creating this tutorial, you've helped me so much with my spriting!
Old June 28th, 2010, 02:05 PM
PrinceBlackheart
Taking Revenge on Dusknior

Nature: Sassy
Wow the tutorial is extremely helpful!Thx!!!
Really, just complete offers.It's very easy.Not a scam!!!
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Dan5
Beginning Trainer

i am still confused about shading. what if you're using a sprite for nds?
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:38 PM
FreedomFighter011
Kit Kat

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via Yahoo to FreedomFighter011
Oh my gosh. I have to say these are the most epic tutorials I've ever seen ever. I can't wait to see more from you!

Visit my Art Corner to see sprites like the ones in my sig.
Katie's PokePet

Herugaa the level 54 Houndoom!
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:58 AM
ShinyManic!
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quirky
Great Tutorial! Especially for a Noob and totally unartistic like me!

Just wondering whether you'd be able to extend the Overworld tutorial for the main character to include the FLY/biking sprites?
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Symbiosis
Community Supporter

Nice tut.Hope there is more to come.

Windows 8.1 64 Bit | 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4940MX processor (Quad Core, 8MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.4GHz) | 32GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz | 1TB SSD Quad Play RAID 0 (4x256GB SSD SATA 6Gb/s) | Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M graphics with 16GB total (2x 8GB) GDDR5 - NVIDIA SLI® Enabled

☆Current Pre Ordered Games: Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare Atlas Pro Edition-PS4-11/3/2014-$119.99 | WWE 2K15 Hukkamania Edition-PS4-11/18/2014-$99.99 | GTA V-PS4-11/18/2014-$59.99 | Pokemon Alpha Sapphire & Pokemon Omega Ruby-Nintendo 3DS-11/21/2014-$39.99 Each | Battlefield Hardline Deluxe Edition-PS4-3/31/2015 - $69.99

Old August 5th, 2010, 06:14 PM
richmix
The black trainer

Nature: Calm
Very Very Very good tutorial!! Im gunna go make my own sprites!!!
~Richmix
Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one.
John Lennon

Join Lone Star productions!!!
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=230758
Our Hack:

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here