Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Computers & Technology
Reload this Page Mozilla 3.5 Beta 4

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Computers & Technology The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Old April 28th, 2009 (07:03 AM). Edited April 28th, 2009 by Mitchman.
Mitchman
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Hasty
Enjoy!
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html
Changes?
* This beta is now available in 70 languages - get your local version.
* Improved tools for controlling your private data, including a Private Browsing Mode.
* Better performance and stability with the new TraceMonkey JavaScript engine.
* The ability to provide Location Aware Browsing using web standards for geolocation.
* Support for native JSON, and web worker threads.
* Improvements to the Gecko layout engine, including speculative parsing for faster content rendering.
* Support for new web technologies such as: HTML5 and elements,
downloadable fonts and other new CSS properties, JavaScript query selectors, HTML5 offline data
storage for applications, and SVG transforms.

There is no 3.1 as well this basically took over. Another thing I noticed is that with the tab bar it no longer stays on one page and opens a tab bar when you open a new one. It stays open all the time with a new tab button. Love it. Or I just never noticed it in my firefox settings XD
Edit:
So then the new tab button is surely new as I never saw it but the tab bar is only an option when it comes to being open all the time. And man this thing feels faster then regular old Mozilla 3.
Also note when you clear all data after using firefox they added some options. Auo login cookies and your memory cache all gets wiped out aftwerwards. Oh and for Winamp users the toolbar is not suggested and uh that is it. Did I forget something? Oh yeah add-ons and themes get deleted with the clear all data option. Otherwise its excellent not too different from 3 but you can tell the difference.
Old April 28th, 2009 (09:49 AM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
You can select which parts of your private data get deleted; you don't need to select the options you don't like. That's true in the older betas, as well.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old April 28th, 2009 (10:38 AM).
Mitchman
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Hasty
Yeah but this time you can also delete completely cookies and cache and it will stay. If you don't customize what you delete completely every time you close it and all it is like you never used it at all.
Old April 28th, 2009 (11:06 AM).
Chuck̄
\

Nature: Modest
I'll give it a go, who knows it may make me replace Camino with it.
Old April 28th, 2009 (02:35 PM).
GunSaberSeraph
Durandal of the Devic Era

Nature: Calm
I like this new beta, but sadly my Super Mario Brothers theme doesn't work with it anymore. Also, how do I access Cache deletion.
Old April 28th, 2009 (05:17 PM).
Gummy
by fire be P U R G E D
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Naughty
It will be difficult to get by without CoolPreviews and Foxkeh Theme, but I'm liking this new Firfox. I can notice the speed.

Monotype Fire Challenge
Old April 28th, 2009 (06:54 PM).
Zet
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
I swear firefox has always allowed you to choose what parts of your browsing data you want deleted
Old April 28th, 2009 (11:48 PM).
Gerri Shin
  

I must say, after messing with it, I'm fairly impressed. the only things that keep me from using it as my main are the fact that when I use the back and forward buttons it won't reload the page automatically (hence it reverts to a cached version >:[) and the fact that the only way to reduce the toolbars and free up some more screen real estate for the actual web content is to make the tab bar hide when there's only one tab open. (But you lose that immediately when you open a new tab. ¬_¬).
so for now I'll quietly replace camino with it but continue to use Safari 4 Public Beta as my main browser.
(though I will admit I've made it the default on the PowerBook G4 I inherited because it makes good use of the lower memory footprint as well as using the multitouch gestures is out of the question anyway, so it works out good for Tiger use)
Old April 29th, 2009 (12:38 AM).
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Nature: Lax
Quote originally posted by Gerri Shin:
I must say, after messing with it, I'm fairly impressed. the only things that keep me from using it as my main are the fact that when I use the back and forward buttons it won't reload the page automatically (hence it reverts to a cached version >:[) and the fact that the only way to reduce the toolbars and free up some more screen real estate for the actual web content is to make the tab bar hide when there's only one tab open. (But you lose that immediately when you open a new tab. ¬_¬).
so for now I'll quietly replace camino with it but continue to use Safari 4 Public Beta as my main browser.
(though I will admit I've made it the default on the PowerBook G4 I inherited because it makes good use of the lower memory footprint as well as using the multitouch gestures is out of the question anyway, so it works out good for Tiger use)
To force refresh on back or forward:
Type "about:config" in the URL bar. Look for the entry called "browser.cache.check_doc_frequency" and set it to "1" to force pages to refresh.

To clear up more room on the screen:
Browse the compact themes on the website. If you like the Safari 4 beta, I recommend Whitehart; in my opinion, it has a pretty similar look and feel.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H. L. Mencken, unsourced

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]
Old April 30th, 2009 (09:48 PM).
Archer
a.k.a: ethan.
Community Supporter

I've been using the previous betas as my main browser, although if this works with all of my addons, I think I'll stick with it.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links