Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design
Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
sam_sdc
Beginning Trainer

Advertise here
I understand that you are trying to reduce clutter in the forum by creating a thread for recolors and fusions in the pixel art section, but I do not believe that a single thread is the best way to do this; I believe a sub-board would work better. First of all, many people do not look at the stickied threads when they first visit a particular board. Thus, you will still get the frequent recolor and fusion threads that you seek to avoid. However, you don't see rom hacks in the pixel art section. This is because people know to at least read the title of the board in which they are posting. Therefore, if you instead created a separate board for recolors and fusions, the number of threads relating to it in the pixel art section would be reduced much more effectively. In addition, I'm sure that you understand that, if a particular thread has a large number of pages, as the recolor and fusion thread will have, few people actually read through the entire thread. This means that the works of those who post their sprite on this thread will only be seen and critiqued by the few people who bother to read the entire thread, as well as give feedback on every person's sprites - virtually no one. If a sub-board is created instead, each user will still be allowed to have their own thread. And so, any user wishing to see or provide feedback on someone else's sprites will be able to do so without going through extensive effort, which would allow more people to do so. Consequently, the users posting their sprites would improve at a faster rate, allowing them to go from simple things, like recolors and fusions, to more difficult things, like scratching and fakemon. Overall, it is detrimental to the pixel art section of the forum to restrict the posting of individual recolor and fusion threads, and a sub-board would serve your intended purpose more effectively. Thank you for your time, and I hope to see action taken on this issue, or, at the very least, a reply to this post.

HeartGold Version: FC 0689-7623-9981 (Heart)

Hacks I Support
Spoiler:

Old May 4th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Gary, the Magic Fairy
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sdc View Post
I understand that you are trying to reduce clutter in the forum by creating a thread for recolors and fusions in the pixel art section, but I do not believe that a single thread is the best way to do this; I believe a sub-board would work better. First of all, many people do not look at the stickied threads when they first visit a particular board. Thus, you will still get the frequent recolor and fusion threads that you seek to avoid.
Everyone who comes here is required to read the rules, so that really doesn't matter. If they can't be bothered to read the rules, then they shouldn't post. And if they do post anyway, their thread will be closed.

Quote:
However, you don't see rom hacks in the pixel art section. This is because people know to at least read the title of the board in which they are posting. Therefore, if you instead created a separate board for recolors and fusions, the number of threads relating to it in the pixel art section would be reduced much more effectively. In addition, I'm sure that you understand that, if a particular thread has a large number of pages, as the recolor and fusion thread will have, few people actually read through the entire thread. This means that the works of those who post their sprite on this thread will only be seen and critiqued by the few people who bother to read the entire thread, as well as give feedback on every person's sprites - virtually no one.
... I think that's the whole point. If they want to be a well-known spriter, and have their work praised, they have to work for it. They can't stick with fusions and recolors. They have to try something harder. They have to learn to do more.

Anywhoo, I think this thread was a great idea.

Just dropped by to throw these in here:

..mostly for future reference, since I have a habit of losing my sprites and stuff if I don't post them somewhere.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Crimson Stardust
Anime Addiction

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Stardust Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Crimson Stardust
I will repost new pokemon fusion i just made..
they are just basic fusion...
so rate them and tell me your opinions and tell me how i can improved{Ignore The Poll}
Raichu+zubat+Suicune+Electivire{Raichune}
Voltorb+Pinsir{Pintorb}

Weville+Darkrai{Weakrai}

Bayleef+Lapras+Dragonite+Typhlosion+Herracross{Baypras}
Bayleef+Gyarados+Typhlosion+herracross{Gayldreef}
i noe i have posted this before but i want more people to rate them..lol
anyway im a biginner in spriting..so go easy on commenting

Old May 5th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Fox♠

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Fox♠
Quote:
allowing them to go from simple things, like recolors and fusions, to more difficult things, like scratching and fakemon. .
I'm not quoting most of what you said because I feel it's the same really dragged out point. I did quote this however because it is a tried and failed method. 7/10 Pixel artists here who keep getting praised for simple recolours and fusions never, ever move away from them, it's a fact.

They don't warrant their own sub forum either, this thread is sufficient enough.
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails

I agree Fox. I'm still kind of that way but soon enough I'll have my own thread with scratch sprites.
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Fox♠

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Fox♠
I'm not 100% sure on Amachi's stance over this, but if you have a showcase that's hugely varied (good deal of scratches, maybe a few revamps, some heavy edits) then i don't mind if you have a few fusions there for show, but i am talking like the odd one or two which you think really make the mark, and like I said, only in a showcase with an existing variety of work in it.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Froslass_Maniac
Take this banana and throw it away!

Nature: Quiet
The crystal looks flat on it's head.. if you did some shading there..
Is this a fuse of devamps cause the shading quality is so bad. Further more i can see there was default white in it. (you probably moved it on the blue zone) You should've made the default white a bit darker white (but still looking white)

It seems the bottom has default black spaces. I don't know it belongs to the shading or the outlines. As shading you shouldn't use default black. If it's outline then it's to bold. If i look at the sprite's middle i see various red dots making it unnatural straight.

Same critic as with the bottom is the sprite before for the horn. This guy has some weird black dots on it's body. The fins have default black outline. And the fin in the front is all closed with outline. The flame in it's neck looks flat and the tail too. The tail looks like it belong to a sprite hidden behind your sprite

Same critic as with the bottom is the sprite before for the horn. Also the flame again. The fin of it is cut off the scene same with the belly. The head doesn't fit the color of the whole body and has some weird lighting.

Last edited by Lilith; March 31st, 2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old May 10th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Froslass_Maniac

mmhhh galeon has an unnatural straight line.. o-O
further its nicely done

ah well maybe if you scrachted the legs of that zapdos/togekiss mix backwards
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:15 AM
mulch_ar
What should I type here?

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mulch_ar
Okay so lemme get this straight, so I can't post any fusions or recolors even if it's hard (More than three pokemons) and I have scratched sprite in my thread? I still kinda not understand
This signature has been disabled.
Spoilers aren\'t allowed in signatures.
Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:25 AM
blaster911
reincarnation of matt

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulch_ar View Post
Okay so lemme get this straight, so I can't post any fusions or recolors even if it's hard (More than three pokemons) and I have scratched sprite in my thread? I still kinda not understand
they are trying to keep it all in here but if you make a thread with everything you can probably keep your recolours and fussions there but even hard fussions are considered fusions try using scratch parts on pokemon that might pass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXIWGP37ORc
watch to see romantic final fantasy character squall
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Missingno.7-4468
The Kazuka Party is for curry!

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Missingno.7-4468
Here's a sprite that took me forever and a day to complete. It is supposed to be Deku Link, here is the picture I sorts based it on: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13...8/DekuLink.jpg
Pokemon used:
Machop's body and hands
Alakazam's head, arms, and color
Tropius's Bananas(hair) and chest(skirt)
Victreebel's leaf(hat)
Mr. Mimes legs

Ok, so I couldn't get the hat to be extremely long, but other than that I think it's pretty good.
Attached Images
File Type: png Deku Link.png‎ (1.5 KB, 617 views) (Save to Dropbox)

^ This one is 500 px long for sure

Last edited by Missingno.7-4468; May 13th, 2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Seadiga
Art is a bang, hm!

SInce most of my sprites are in my thread, i'll just post the ones that are nOT in my thread.

If I'm supposed to put ALL Fuisons/Recolours on here, please tell me and I'll update it

Why can't you be happy,Like Twrappy the
Trapinch!
Diamond FC
Platinum FC
HeartGold FC
Dragonites are Awesome, don't you agree?

Rival: Vorteld the Hounchkrow
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Destiny
All the lights in the sky...

Nature: Lonely
OK.Maybye I Can't Shade Well But Take A Look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Girantwiga.jpg‎ (4.6 KB, 598 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: gif Flame Mew.gif‎ (1.2 KB, 594 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: gif Jho-oh.gif‎ (2.9 KB, 598 views) (Save to Dropbox)
White 2 FC- 4556-8077-2137
3DS FC: 4854-6421-4741
Be sure to add me and let me know so I can add you back!
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Conan Edogawa
One Truth Prevails

Conway With the recolors there is no need for reshading. Just pick a palette and match the shades. They aren't bad but mews tail needs some work.
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:34 AM
SytheXP
Net Labs/UG Founder

Nature: Calm
recolors in my opinion are pointless unless they are revamps or devamps. However I love fusions b/c if 2 people fuse the same 2 pkmn theres still no telling wht youll get. And some of them look really great. I like a lot of the work in here. I may post some later. Atm Im working on loads of sprites so I can open my own sprite thread. Atm my current project is completing my Wes overworlds that I started long ago. (Working on the fishing and biking sprites atm......Biking sprite is annoying cause Its 100% custom). But after thats done Ima post all my fusions/Customs/Tilesets/Fakemon/ETC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageangel View Post
I will repost new pokemon fusion i just made..
they are just basic fusion...
so rate them and tell me your opinions and tell me how i can improved{Ignore The Poll}
Raichu+zubat+Suicune+Electivire{Raichune}
Voltorb+Pinsir{Pintorb}

Weville+Darkrai{Weakrai}

Bayleef+Lapras+Dragonite+Typhlosion+Herracross{Baypras}
Bayleef+Gyarados+Typhlosion+herracross{Gayldreef}
i noe i have posted this before but i want more people to rate them..lol
anyway im a biginner in spriting..so go easy on commenting
You said go easy so I will try, No promises though. Ill let you know you have potential to be a great spriter one day. However IMO meaning it may just be my tastes and preferances as everyone is a little different, I think its mainly in your colors/shading/smoothing. By smothing I mean taking the sharper edges of the sprite maybe adding a pixel or removing one. By shading I mean you need at least a pallete of 4+ colors. Its wise to get your colors beforehand. Choose colors that go well together start with the lightest and gradually get darker. I personally use approxamately 10 colors 5 variations of one color and 5 of another (Like I said Palletes are very helpful). As for colors choose something that looks good together. If you think the colors are off change them. Get a colorwheel pic, save it on your compy and refer to it when in doubt. Also learn loads of MS tricks as they often help speed up the sprite making process. Also GIMP is a free image editing program, Downloadable of the internet. I use it to make GIF animated images and to make my backgrounds transparent. Transparent backgrounds make things look a little better when posting them online. Also ALWAYS and I repeat ALWAYS save as .png format. This prevents color loss and various other complications. Basically makes the sprite nice and viewable. Overall your sprites are ok. They need a little work but you will get there I assure you.
My Threads:
Phantom Dusk Plot and Story: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...23#post4678023

My Sprite Thread:http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=179083

Phantom Dusk is back in production with loads of modifications. Will be updating soon! -2012

I Support:

Last edited by SytheXP; May 16th, 2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old May 16th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Missingno.7-4468

I edited my Deku Link sprite, C+C are appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png Deku Link.png‎ (1.4 KB, 583 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Old May 16th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Alpha King
Man's Best Friend
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to Alpha King

I call it Elewoodo!

Recolours:

Old May 16th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Missingno.7-4468

The first one burns my eyes because it is in .jpg

The other three are really good though! (Well, there are only recolors...)

Old May 16th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Camyre
Guess who?

Nature: Naive
Send a message via AIM to Camyre
Quote:
The first one burns my eyes because it is in .jpg
O_o Shouldn't they all be "burning your eyes"? They're all saved in JPEG. The first one has other problems, like the bump in its side from copy-pasting the lightning bolts. The others, like Missingno said, are just recolors. There aren't too many problems with them.
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Missingno.7-4468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camyre View Post
O_o Shouldn't they all be "burning your eyes"? They're all saved in JPEG. The first one has other problems, like the bump in its side from copy-pasting the lightning bolts. The others, like Missingno said, are just recolors. There aren't too many problems with them.
Sorry about that, I was focusing on the fusion(simply because it's more than a recolor).

Anyway, I edited my Deku Link again, and just like before, C+C is appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: png Deku Link.png‎ (1.4 KB, 697 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Old May 17th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Froslass_Maniac

Mostly scrachted

Yanbeega
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Destiny
All the lights in the sky...

Nature: Lonely
Well, Out Of Boredom, This Morning(Damn Rain) I Made Another Fakemon

Espeon And Houndoom
Attached Images
File Type: gif Houndeon.gif‎ (1.3 KB, 572 views) (Save to Dropbox)
White 2 FC- 4556-8077-2137
3DS FC: 4854-6421-4741
Be sure to add me and let me know so I can add you back!
Old May 17th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Alpha King
Man's Best Friend
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to Alpha King
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froslass_Maniac View Post

Mostly scrachted

Yanbeega

I like it the arms motion are really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaysloking123 View Post
Well, Out Of Boredom, This Morning(Damn Rain) I Made Another Fakemon

Espeon And Houndoom

Lol, pretty cool. What's with the white spots though?

2 more I made in PNG file! Happy?!

Last edited by Alpha King; May 17th, 2009 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Froslass_Maniac

and another splice
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Missingno.7-4468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froslass_Maniac View Post

and another splice
Holy cow!
That thing is scary!

...But anyway, it looks pretty good. The "ears" look a little to...wiggly though.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here