Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design
Reload this Page Jαcκςση's Sprites~

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

View Poll Results: How are they?
Decent. 13 50.00%
Eh.. not so good. 1 3.85%
average. 12 46.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8th, 2009 (04:03 PM). Edited September 2nd, 2009 by Jαcκςση.

Nature: Jolly
Well, I'm relatively new to spriting, but I really want to get better. I've only made a few, but I think it's enough to get some decent critique.

Virus Pokemon (yes, I know the pose is aweful, it's looking right at you)

or
Cockroach Pokemon

and my progress on it >> (thanks to gparts again!)

Evo
(Thanks to gp_arts for all the awesome help on this one!)

Splices:

Original Trainer

Overworld of above.

Pitiful attempt at a tree tile, but hey, it's my first ever try at something like this. It's not in the right style, blah blah blah, ya, I know.

Simple grass to snow tile recolor. (credit to Kyledove for original)

Yeti (F):

(M):

Partly Scratched, partly Algamated Trainer Sprite:

little alien dood I guess?
|

grass starter for zirconium, Eukhay:

Don't be afraid to be harsh, I just want to get better.

Old May 8th, 2009 (04:16 PM).
Banned

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Fox♠
They're really nice concepts, like you've already said, the main issue with the virus is the pose, other than that it's not bad.

The Cockroach is pretty good, but the lower jaw is a bit fat and lopsided.

Keep up the good work though.
Old May 8th, 2009 (05:15 PM).
Oripoke
Gold Tier

Nature: Sassy
The virus has a nice design (it's a bacteriophage yes?), and the mechanics of it are good-- so what if it's not Pokemon-style? Plus, I assure you if you keep practicing, you'll remake it one day.

In fact, you've got a lot of potential. The only sprite you've got that's average or below is the trainer, who's just a frankenstein of the Rich boy (I think) and Palmer, with poorly-recolored hair and a not very intuitive design. But trainers are tough. xD; Keep spriting!
Old May 8th, 2009 (06:09 PM).

Quote originally posted by ZephyrPlusle:
The virus has a nice design (it's a bacteriophage yes?), and the mechanics of it are good-- so what if it's not Pokemon-style? Plus, I assure you if you keep practicing, you'll remake it one day.

In fact, you've got a lot of potential. The only sprite you've got that's average or below is the trainer, who's just a frankenstein of the Rich boy (I think) and Palmer, with poorly-recolored hair and a not very intuitive design. But trainers are tough. xD; Keep spriting!

Alright, thanks! Ya, its a bacteriophage. Ya, the trainer is palmer and Lucian, with a bit of editing from other trainers. Do you have a suggestion for the hair color? Like a trainer with brown hair that would be better?

And also, I edited the cockroach a bit.
Old May 9th, 2009 (06:05 PM).
Palmer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to solaries10 Send a message via Yahoo to solaries10
So, you too are an advocate of Spriting huh? That's interesting. I'm quite impressed with the fact that you'd rather make scratches, in lieu of fusions. That's a very interesting start. Just like you, I'm working on a spriting project in dire need of members, so I'm assuming that I could fetch a deal or two with you. Let's talk about that later though.
Old May 9th, 2009 (10:25 PM).
Birding Extraordinaire

Nature: Modest
The trainer does not appear to be original, more or less, it's just a fusion of a bunch of other trainers... you seemed to have lost some of the shading in the jacket and the pants though...

as for the virus fusion, that one can be easily fixed by turning the pose of the head a bit to the left. I actually like the virus... it's original, and something i've never seen before. The only other thing, besides the head, is the middle leg on the right side: It's longer than the others. It might appear better if it was shortened.

And the roach. I love the legs, and the style in which you made them. The padded knees look awesome. The color scheme is also nice here...
...but! you could probably make the jaw even gauter. Make it a bit less wide, and tall... bring it up towards the head a bit more, and bring the ends in more.
The wings also need a bit of help. They have a weird shading to them, where the light source is indefinite and discrete. Besides that, the angles of the wings seem funny. (His) right wing appears to be oppened, while the left one is more pushed against the body. I don't know if you did that on purpose, but a simple way to make the wings match in pose is to extend the left wing outwards more, and thinning the top side of it. Or else, round the top edge of the right wing and bring more near the body.

Just some ideas, take them sparingly... don't get discouraged, don't give up!

Keep Spriting!
Old May 9th, 2009 (11:07 PM).

Quote originally posted by solaries10:
So, you too are an advocate of Spriting huh? That's interesting. I'm quite impressed with the fact that you'd rather make scratches, in lieu of fusions. That's a very interesting start. Just like you, I'm working on a spriting project in dire need of members, so I'm assuming that I could fetch a deal or two with you. Let's talk about that later though.
Haha, thanks. And ya sure, that might work.
Quote originally posted by gp_arts39:
The trainer does not appear to be original, more or less, it's just a fusion of a bunch of other trainers... you seemed to have lost some of the shading in the jacket and the pants though...
Ya, I didn't mean like... original as in scratched, just as in my own character.\

as for the virus fusion, that one can be easily fixed by turning the pose of the head a bit to the left. I actually like the virus... it's original, and something i've never seen before. The only other thing, besides the head, is the middle leg on the right side: It's longer than the others. It might appear better if it was shortened.
I actually thought about just trying to turn the head to see if it looked good, but wasn't sure. Now I might try it.

And the roach. I love the legs, and the style in which you made them. The padded knees look awesome. The color scheme is also nice here...
...but! you could probably make the jaw even gauter. Make it a bit less wide, and tall... bring it up towards the head a bit more, and bring the ends in more.
The wings also need a bit of help. They have a weird shading to them, where the light source is indefinite and discrete. Besides that, the angles of the wings seem funny. (His) right wing appears to be oppened, while the left one is more pushed against the body. I don't know if you did that on purpose, but a simple way to make the wings match in pose is to extend the left wing outwards more, and thinning the top side of it. Or else, round the top edge of the right wing and bring more near the body.
I'm not quite sure what you mean about the jaw.. like making it smaller? Ya, the wings were kinda just.. try to get them to look somewhat decent. I had no idea what I was doing. I'll definitely attempt this. Don't know how well it will go, but I'll try.
Just some ideas, take them sparingly... don't get discouraged, don't give up!

Keep Spriting!
Thanks a ton for this super detailed critique! It's reaaaally helpful :3

Old May 9th, 2009 (11:21 PM).
Birding Extraordinaire

Well, you're very welcome!

As for the jaw, pretty much yah...make it smaller. just bring the bottom more up, and tighten the ends a bit. that will make it skinnier, as well as more along the throat. i may or not work, but there's no harm in trying...

as for the wings... i know wings are a pain in the bottom... just try your best, play around with them, and eventually you'll figure em out!

And the trainer...gotcha!

Keep Spriting!
Old May 11th, 2009 (11:39 PM).

New update. Evo of the roach. Its a first draft, and its late. I'll revamp it later, but any critique would be awesome. One thing though, I am probably going to change its lower right wing.

Old May 11th, 2009 (11:47 PM).
You can't be a legend...

Send a message via Yahoo to crobatdeluxe
Good spriting work!!! Keep it up!

NORMAL RANK

Spoiler:
click 'em all! click 'em all!

Old May 12th, 2009 (04:48 PM).

Updated the evo. I think its much better. Its right antennae still sucks though.

Old May 12th, 2009 (06:14 PM). Edited May 12th, 2009 by mulch_ar.
What should I type here?

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mulch_ar
You're right, it looks cool! The pose made it much better, and the wings looks cool too. maybe you should make the antennae on the right a li'l bit more shapy (I see that the straight line's too long). Keep up the good work

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old May 12th, 2009 (07:40 PM).
Birding Extraordinaire

Quote originally posted by Jαcκςση:
Updated the evo. I think its much better. Its right antennae still sucks though.
Now, who are you kidding? This is great! I like this one best of all your sprites!

Granted, this does have a scizor look to it, nevertheless, it is still substancially different enough that it is quite original. I like the pose; the whole looking backwards thing is something not done very often. yet you pulled it off quite well. As for the anatomy, it all seems to make sence, even though the head is a bit small...but the small head looks great like that. I like the bladelike structure of the wings, it gives the fakemon a different dimension, and the claws give him a fighting type look.

As you said, the antenae are a bit awkward... i think maybe the farther back one is too strait along the back... definitely arch it a bit more! As for the shading, it needs a bit more in the wings and the body overall... there's not much depth being portrayed in the shading. The outlining also needs some coloration, especially along the top side of the head, and the where the light tones are.

This sprite has great anatomy and pose, as well as being pretty original. I give it a 7/10. It would have recieved an aditional point if the antenae was a bit more "natural flowing". The other two points were lost because of the lack of shading and outline toning. Fix those pointers up and you have an official pokemon company quality sprite here!

Great job, work it out, and most importantly...

Keep Spriting!
Old May 12th, 2009 (07:55 PM).

Quote originally posted by gp_arts39:
Now, who are you kidding? This is great! I like this one best of all your sprites!

Granted, this does have a scizor look to it, nevertheless, it is still substancially different enough that it is quite original. I like the pose; the whole looking backwards thing is something not done very often. yet you pulled it off quite well. As for the anatomy, it all seems to make sence, even though the head is a bit small...but the small head looks great like that. I like the bladelike structure of the wings, it gives the fakemon a different dimension, and the claws give him a fighting type look.

As you said, the antenae are a bit awkward... i think maybe the farther back one is too strait along the back... definitely arch it a bit more! As for the shading, it needs a bit more in the wings and the body overall... there's not much depth being portrayed in the shading. The outlining also needs some coloration, especially along the top side of the head, and the where the light tones are.

This sprite has great anatomy and pose, as well as being pretty original. I give it a 7/10. It would have recieved an aditional point if the antenae was a bit more "natural flowing". The other two points were lost because of the lack of shading and outline toning. Fix those pointers up and you have an official pokemon company quality sprite here!

Great job, work it out, and most importantly...

Keep Spriting!
Haha, thanks! By outline toning, do you mean it should be lighter? And yeah, I'm having some serious issues with shading. I'll definitely try the antennae thing.

Oh, and I probably should have said this before, b/c this probably makes me half as good, but All of these sprites are done with concept art. I don't know if that's like not "legal" or "fair" or something...

Example:
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/608/roaches.jpg

Sorry if this makes me like bad or something b/c they aren't completely scratch...

Old May 12th, 2009 (08:02 PM).
Birding Extraordinaire

did you draw those?

well, anyhow, if you sprited these, they are still great!

All my sprites come from pictures that i drew. Milodos went through five or six different looks before arriving to what it is now. There's nothing wrong with turning your concepts, or someone elses' for that matter into sprites.

Anyways, maybe make the outline more of a brown instead of a black. that's what i meant.

Keep Spriting!
Old May 12th, 2009 (08:07 PM). Edited May 13th, 2009 by Jαcκςση.

Oh, okay. That's good. And no, I wish I had those drawing skills. I drew my virus (that's why it's such a bad pose). I guy named ramengaiden drew the rest. He's one of the concept artists for the game I'm working on.

And I'll try the colored thing.

Is that sorta what you meant? I made the outline on head and arms dark brown.. or lighter?

Old May 13th, 2009 (05:17 PM).

Voila. Should be the final version. I <3 it.

Old May 14th, 2009 (11:59 AM).
Kariyai.
CS

Wow I love your sprites, and the trainer (both overworld and sprite) is excellent! Have you made any for hacks?
art by Churaka
Old May 14th, 2009 (12:19 PM).
Jigglypuff~<333

Nature: Hardy
They are all very good pixels +'_'+
The only problem i see is the shading, and lines.
The lineart should be lighter in some areas, rather then just one color.
As for the shading doesnt really give a pokemon type of feeling, i recomend examining some pokemon pixel art if your trying for the pokemon spirit look. T:

FC: 0559 4118 8743

Old May 14th, 2009 (12:27 PM).
Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
Silver Tier

Nature: Adamant
Woh! Now, put that same sort of patience (and use the same advice) into that Virus thing... Your OW, looks like a bad re-shade of Palmer, trying putting some 'zest' into his design by adding in more colors.
Old May 14th, 2009 (02:28 PM).

Quote originally posted by SwiftSign:
Wow I love your sprites, and the trainer (both overworld and sprite) is excellent! Have you made any for hacks?
Yes, I am currently working on a game (not hack) called Zirconium. (Link in sig). Thanks!

Quote originally posted by Andcetera:
They are all very good pixels +'_'+
The only problem i see is the shading, and lines.
The lineart should be lighter in some areas, rather then just one color.
As for the shading doesnt really give a pokemon type of feeling, i recomend examining some pokemon pixel art if your trying for the pokemon spirit look. T:
Yeah, I'm not very good at shading. I think I did the out line okay on the roaches, but not on the rest. Thanks for the critique!

Quote originally posted by GFA:
Woh! Now, put that same sort of patience (and use the same advice) into that Virus thing... Your OW, looks like a bad re-shade of Palmer, trying putting some 'zest' into his design by adding in more colors.
Yeah, I do plan on redoing the virus when I gain some confidence. At this point, I can't really sprite well unless I have a drawing in the pose it's supposed to be. Eventually, I'll turn the head on the virus and touch it up. Also, the trainer is just splice of a bunch of trainers. Not very good, I might add.

Old May 14th, 2009 (10:24 PM).
Bagel

Send a message via AIM to Anti Hero
I like the trainer ^ ^ and the overworld sprites. I also like the pokemon you constructed. 9/10
Old May 14th, 2009 (10:36 PM).

I like the trainer aswell, also find the overworld sprite pretty amazing
Old May 16th, 2009 (12:40 AM).

My pitiful attempt at a tree tile.. ;_;

Old May 16th, 2009 (01:27 AM).
Haz ya seen my hack?

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to Haz
Pitiful? It looks great! Although the shading looks a tgad dark at the bottom. Maybe lighten it up a bit?

Fanfiction.net: Ha-Za-A

Credits to Galukxy for this awesome banner
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links