Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase
Reload this Page [Demo] Pokemon Indigo League

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: A few questions about the camera (fill out after you try the newest beta)
I want the Freely-rotating mode in the game 72 45.86%
I want the Swing-and-lock mode in the game 14 8.92%
I want the Set-and-lock mode in the game 17 10.83%
Have only 1 viewpoint (like d/p, hg,ss) 62 39.49%
Allow vertical movement 17 10.83%
More vertical movement 7 4.46%
Less vertical movement 6 3.82%
No vertical movement 15 9.55%
Lower vertical angle (no movement) 8 5.10%
Higher vertical angle (no movement) 6 3.82%
More zoom 26 16.56%
No zoom 22 14.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 21st, 2010 (11:23 AM). Edited January 21st, 2010 by PatJamma.
♪I can hear my heart bell♪

Nature: Relaxed
YAY!!!!!!!! Im going to play this right away!!! I'll be sure to report any bugs!

EDIT: uhhh its very buggy. 1. the animated intro doesnt show up (blank screen) but can still be heard, 2. when you choose new game it show a maril which is a 2nd gen pokemon, 3. blank screen when what would be the sceen where ash is watching TV, and worst of all 4. it makes my computer very unresposnive when i played it. i can live with 1-3 but please make the game more stable
Old January 21st, 2010 (01:54 PM). Edited January 21st, 2010 by Ryu Serpntine.

I'm still in the beginning but I have had the problem of the videos not playing, though can hear them.
also when the videos are supposed to be playing you can still hear the game music.
In ash's house some of the walls can be walked through and his mom walks through them. His mom also walks at a super fast speed

Unlke PatJamm though, my computer is fine while the game is running.

Edit: new bug, if you lose aagainst the group of spearows when you go back the misty event doesn't play and you get a black screen
Edit2: After finishing the demo I haven't found any more bugs.
Old January 21st, 2010 (05:36 PM).
Rawr!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Krazy_Meerkat
Thanks for reporting those bugs, I was un-aware there was any problem with the videos, in fact I had to do a lot of work to get them playing anyway, I don't know what happened.. I am opposed to using videos anyway so they will most likely be replaced with cut-scenes or just removed.
PatJamma, I know maril's a 2nd gen pokemon but it doesn't really matter because it's not being used on any kanto maps (the Title screen and WTP also feature 2nd and 3rd gen pokemon). To me, this still represents the Pokemon series as a whole.
But it's good to hear what people like and don't like about it.
I can't really do anything about your PC, but I'm only running it with 2Gb of ram and an ex-government PC (so it's very old) and it works fine for me.

Ryu, thanks for your info. The hero's mom (at home) was only added as a last minute alteration and was un-tested. (Thanks for picking that up though). Which wall is she walking through? You should only be able to walk under the tops of walls, it is a technique that I have used in some games, it merely provides more floor space (the wall should show up on-top of the npcs/player).
I thought I'd fixed that spearow battle problem.. It should have reset the events.. Nevermind..
Anyway, I'm going to have to change a lot of stuff when I convert over to the new project so it will probably be easier to plan it this time.
I'm still having teething problems with the battle system but I'm sure it's going to come good in the end.

Pokemon Indigo League is a re-creation of the original Pokemon TV series in game form
Old January 21st, 2010 (06:11 PM).

It's the wall in front of the Kitchen, specifically the area of the wall with a TV Screen(I think that's what that is) on it.
Outside of the bugs I''m loving this. I find the WTP an especially interesting feature.
Old March 9th, 2010 (04:47 PM).
Rawr!

I'm going to release a public beta of the map engine soon and there will be a poll so I need you all to vote. The poll relates to 4-directional or 8-directional buildings. First I should explain about the map engine, I think I would be crucified for calling it "3d" but it does emulate a 3rd-person "camera-view" using MGC's excellent mode7 in a unique way.
There's 360 degrees of rotation and about 80 degrees of vertical angle using the keys "wasd", you can zoom in and out with "q" and "e". The engine supports animated tiles (which is mainly good for water tiles, but it does make the flowers look better too)
Now back to the 4/8-dir buildings.. It looks much smoother with 4 directional buildings because at any vertical angle they look pretty good, but the iso sprites needed for 8-directional buildings don't look right at low vertical angles.. I'm trying one last sprite from scratch to match an angle that centers in the best range to display at all angles, if it doesn't work then I will just use boring 4-direcional sprites for buildings, but hey, the building can face 4 ways too so towns can look very different from other games. On the other hand, if it works out, then the game will look much better and have 2x more depth, but it will take me about 6 or 7x as long to sprite all those horrible iso sprites.
New iso sprites I've already made include an iso-ledge and 2 iso-fences.. Yay it's all coming together. :D
I don't want to talk up the battle system because it's not really a priority until the map engine can prove it's worth, but I have tested that it's working with the engine and made some major alterations to test it's potential.
It is an ABS, no less than the great Mr. Mo's ABS, and if you recall it had npc vs npc combat which will play a major part in this battle system. I don't want to give too much away because I haven't even started a lot of the things I've planned for this battle system, but I will tell you that it's realtime (I felt the pauses involved with turn-based would be far too painful) and that you will not control the Pokemon, they will fight for themselves using a pre-determined set of rules set by the player a.k.a. "Gambits". Ok now I've said too much, the gambit system isn't anywhere near finished yet..
Some more news, your party Pokemon will follow you around the maps and every pokemon is planned to be shown as an overworld sprite. The pokemon in your PC will be limited by the amount of npc's you can fit in Oak's ranch, and you will see them there..
I know I may have a lot on my plate but dw, it's a big plate.
The beta will give me a chance to see how fast the engine runs for all of you, and also show off the 8-dir sprites in a whole new way as well as my camera and movement scripts for mode7.
I'm still very flustered atm so I do little bits and pieces when I can, but it will all calm down soon enough.
I'll upload some screens and probably do the poll if you wanna check back later.

Pokemon Indigo League is a re-creation of the original Pokemon TV series in game form
Old March 9th, 2010 (06:03 PM).
nom nom nom

Glad to see you're still working on it! Game looks really quite solid and unique. I'd be careful not to mix and match too many graphics from separate generations though. Otherwise, keep up the great work!
Old March 11th, 2010 (09:19 PM).
Pokemon MAULER

Nature: Docile
Send a message via AIM to assasinn
The game is a little laggy. Then again, my computer's slow.
Well anyways, PLEASE READ THIS! You or someone you know has probably had this problem of Infinite Zubat Syndrome. IZS is mostly encountered at caves at nights. IZS is a much bigger problem for those who cannot afford repels. Symptoms include rage, super rage, diarrhea, and random FFUUUUUUs. If you care then please help spread awareness of this plague
Old March 12th, 2010 (12:49 AM). Edited March 12th, 2010 by Klofkac.
He's back!

Glitch: I chose Bulbasau, but in Pokémon Center Joy said "Looks like pikachu."

Edit: Then I got Pikachu!?
Edit2: Jessie and James talked again about bulbasaur... And I battled with bulbasaur... You really should fix those center events!

I want to help you, but I'm too busy now. I haven't even time for Mithirl now.

I AM BACK!
Old March 14th, 2010 (03:51 PM).
PokéTect

The demo was good, short, but good. When this is finished though it'll be great :D
Old March 24th, 2010 (01:51 AM). Edited March 24th, 2010 by Krazy_Meerkat.
Rawr!

As promised, the public beta is being released.. This is not a normal thing for me to do, but Misty4Life has not been active in months leaving me with no beta tester and no-one to keep me inspired, so I'm releasing this beta for you all to comment on. This is not a chance to copy ideas or just indulge yourselves with fun and entertainment, it is a public test of the map engine. If you download this, I need you to tell me anything you can about it; your thoughts, how fast/slow it runs on your PC (please also try to give processing speeds and HD capacity if you know how), camera angle limitations, etc. Keep it constructive, if you don't like something, give me an example of what you think would be better.

I have tested big maps but I don't think the whole world map would run very fast on many PC's.. Especially when I start filling the map with events. The game will definitely be made up of different maps, but I have considered making large-ish maps and transferring the player before the edge of the map is reached (like how GTA buffers the map gradually as you move through it).. I'll do some testing but I don't want too many load-pauses either so we'll see what happens...

I exhausted myself trying to make those iso sprites work so I've decided to forget about 8-directional buildings until a master spriter comes along..
You should download the beta and see for yourself, there is a 4-directional building and some plain vertical houses for comparison.
The hero from fr/lg is an example of what characters look like with 8-directions compared to Prof. Oak's 4-directional sprite.

Yeah so this is what I mean by "pseudo 3d",
Normally, mode7 is used as a static camera point to give the game some "3d" aspect (like in pokemon d/p)..
What I've done is give a "3rd-person" perspective by allowing rotation of the camera around the player. I also added custom movement to follow the camera angle (if you hold forward and rotate the camera, you will always walk in the direction of the camera (this is not recommended however, as it causes massive lag to run both of those tasks, try it and find out))

Oh before I go, I finally decided to use d/p style gfx.. I saw a lovely representation of pallet using d/p tiles combined with fr/lg buildings.. My hatred of d/p tiles was credited mostly to their ugly buildings so I'm a little suprised myself how nice it looks. I know a guy just said about mixing different gfx lol, I can't help it sorry..
I had originally mapped the entire kanto region in one map and was slowly re-mapping it to work with the engine but I lost the entire thing sadly, it would have been a pleasant suprise for everyone but didn't serve any real purpose to the game because I have my own maps to represent events in the anime..
Another thing, real quick sorry, I have been having re-considerations about the whole flow of the game.. I'm kind of over the long cut-scenes and exact transcriptions from the series.. I want there to be much more gameplay and minimal text (because I know most people just skip it).. I won't change my focus though, I want to have as many anime events as possible and keep in line with the concept of having an individual experience you can alter and change.. It will take some time and thought before I can start going over everything and shortening it without removing too much original anime content.. A guy already said that there was too many cut-scenes and not enough actual gameplay, I'll see what can be done about that!

Forgot to say, control the camera with the keyboard keys "wsad" and the zoom with "q" and "e"
Ok, here it is, the beta download link:
http://massmirror.com/c7ac09bfa4e7baba117f8f20ae1c6416.html < 6mb yay :D
Don't forget what I said and make a post if you try it out, I know where you live

Old March 24th, 2010 (03:07 AM).

hey, can you upload it in another website? i can't seem to download it.

Pokémon Flint Forums!
Old March 24th, 2010 (04:15 AM).
Rawr!

The link should be fixed now :)

Old March 24th, 2010 (04:57 AM).
Master of Palettes
Crystal Tier

Downloaded demo...
The title screen is the xp standard, so is the menu. I was very surprised when I started it:

It makes no sense, half the time you're the head, the other the feet. You can't go in any buildings or talk to anyone. No lagg btw. Why did you release it?

Demo Beta out Now!

Old March 24th, 2010 (02:25 PM).
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
Quote originally posted by Peeky Chew:
Downloaded demo...
The title screen is the xp standard, so is the menu. I was very surprised when I started it:

It makes no sense, half the time you're the head, the other the feet. You can't go in any buildings or talk to anyone. No lagg btw. Why did you release it?
Uh why does the lab look like its gonna crush the professor... It looks like its about to fall over, I'd fix your graphics...
Old March 24th, 2010 (04:02 PM).
Rawr!

Ok that's great that you had no lag, it's only a small map.. Did you try moving while using the camera/zoom functions? (I forgot to say, wsadqe are the keyboard controls for the camera if you didn't read already)
Yeah I know when you tilt the camera to the lowest angle, it looks as if everything is leaning foward.. I've been thinking of a creative solution to this problem, might try some things later..
Thanks so much for commenting guys

The link is fixed again! Uploaded the wrong one before, sorry..

Old March 24th, 2010 (06:32 PM).
Game Developer

Nature: Relaxed
I think a fixed camera angle with this pseudo 3D look would work very well.
And maybe for dramatic effect, move the camera for events and "cut-scenes".

ZENFORMS: Protectors: A 2D RPG for iPhone
Click the banner to view site about ZENFORMS!

http://www.calisprojects.com/
Like our facebook page and show your support!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Calis-Projects/326374858787
Old March 24th, 2010 (10:48 PM).
Rawr!

Hmmm.. That's an interesting idea..
Thanks Neo, but is the ability to control the camera really a negative feature? I know there are some wierd angles that don't look that great, but it lines up pretty well most of the time..
I could have the camera swing and lock into place at these good angles if it's a better idea.. I thought people would want the freedom to move the camera in small increments..
If the camera was to swing and lock, what would you recommend? 4 viewpoints (nsew), 8 viewpoints (n,ne,e,se,s,sw,w,nw)? Should I keep the vertical angle at say, 60 degrees or so, or allow about 20 degrees of play?
Anyone else have ideas how it should be used?

Old March 25th, 2010 (01:03 AM).
C++ Developer Extraordinaire

Nature: Bold
The swing & lock at N-S-E-W Sounds like a good idea, and it should be easier to create graphics for 4 viewpoints rather than 8
Old April 4th, 2010 (04:52 AM).
Amateur ash

How exactly do i play the Demo im use to the vba and just patching the rom but im not sure how to even get it started please help?
Old April 9th, 2010 (04:23 AM).
The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via ICQ to Konekodemon Send a message via AIM to Konekodemon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Konekodemon Send a message via Yahoo to Konekodemon Send a message via Skype™ to Konekodemon
Here's a cool, idea whenever Team Rocket does there motto make it animated, like what you did with those few things at the beginning.

Please check out my InuYasha fanfiction and tell me what you think.
Sign up for Vizzard to play free Retro Games online: http://www.vizzed.com/boards/profile.php?id=231549&ref=61528
Get a Free PS3, this is no joke: http://www.YourPS34free.com/index.php?ref=5580831
Old April 12th, 2010 (12:06 AM).
Rawr!

Konekodemon, do you mean show it as a video or with pictures.? Because the video clips didn't work for quite a few people..
There's a poll now to help me decide how the engine should be modified.. Vote away please, and feel free to offer any suggestions for other options.
Also, 29 downloads and 6 posters :o at least vote in the poll, come on >:(

Old April 12th, 2010 (09:23 AM). Edited April 12th, 2010 by Biggar.
Catcher of all 493 Pokémon

Nature: Naughty
I am really planning to play this game, so keep up the good work!

Just one silly questiuon: how do I play the demo? I downloaded it and unpacked it, but when I open GAME.exe, it gives a pop-up which sais there is some file missing. Do I need to download another programm to play it?

I got it running, and I really liked it, but as other people have already noticed: the movies aren't shown. Also, I think it would be good if you wouldn't hear the bgmusic during movies.

Would it be possible to include a fullscreen mode?

Pokémon Asphar Supporter
Pokémon Indigo League Supporter
Old April 13th, 2010 (02:02 PM).
Pokemon MAULER

Nature: Docile
Send a message via AIM to assasinn
/the anime, only play through
Well anyways, PLEASE READ THIS! You or someone you know has probably had this problem of Infinite Zubat Syndrome. IZS is mostly encountered at caves at nights. IZS is a much bigger problem for those who cannot afford repels. Symptoms include rage, super rage, diarrhea, and random FFUUUUUUs. If you care then please help spread awareness of this plague
Old April 14th, 2010 (02:20 PM).

Is there going to be a version for mac?
Old April 18th, 2010 (09:50 AM).
Pikachu...

just wondering, u said u have got to episode 3, 3 months ago and havent shown anything of the episode, so i was wondering if u needed some help?
im an ok spriter, mapper and scripter so if u need help just ask.
btw, i've got coursework to do at the moment but will be able to help a the end of may if u need it
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)