The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

View Poll Results: A few questions about the camera (fill out after you try the newest beta)
I want the Freely-rotating mode in the game 65 44.52%
I want the Swing-and-lock mode in the game 13 8.90%
I want the Set-and-lock mode in the game 15 10.27%
Have only 1 viewpoint (like d/p, hg,ss) 58 39.73%
Allow vertical movement 15 10.27%
More vertical movement 6 4.11%
Less vertical movement 5 3.42%
No vertical movement 14 9.59%
Lower vertical angle (no movement) 6 4.11%
Higher vertical angle (no movement) 5 3.42%
More zoom 25 17.12%
No zoom 20 13.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 20th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Invokez
Formerly Known as SytheXP

Advertise here
Looks good, played the demo it was nice, Sprites need a little work IMO but besides that nice concept, ran fairly good.... I tried to catch the spearow trio looking forward to the next update.

Old March 14th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Pikamon2
Pikamon2

Nature: Calm
I wonder what the new demo's going to be like.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Pikamon2
Pikamon2

How is the update coming along Krazy_Meerkat. I can't wait until it's finished.
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Krazy_Meerkat
Rawr!

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Krazy_Meerkat
Hey guys, sorry, I've been very distracted with what's been happening in the world lately and my immediate affairs (job-related woes, heh) so the game has progressed no further..
I've got about another week of forklift training and then I'm free to concentrate on the new demo for a while. I would like to take this time to ask people if any of the text and cut-scenes in the game should be removed/reduced to make the game more enjoyable and increase the pace a little.
I've had a few people agree with me that it's coming off a bit text-heavy, so I'd like to ask people which parts they think are the least necessary, and what ideas they have to make certain scenes more interactive. If you have any ideas just post them here.
I've already come to the conclusion that some cut-scenes will have to have something random in them that makes it bearable to watch more than once. I had planned the npc's would do this (certain pokemon will populate the map and they will alternate randomly through the list of catchable pokemon in that zone(eg. if a pidgey has been in one zone too long, it will fly away and a spearow will fly in. Non-airborne pokemon will disappear into the tall-grass/water to be replaced))

Now to the storyline.. The vagueness of how accurately I will be following this might change if I'm not following the script nearly to the letter.. For example, you may have access to pokemon/moves that were unavailable to ash in the show at certain stages.. But I don't know if I should do that, because it gives a much deeper storyline having so much said. Remember that the show was a bit slow to start, but once it got going, there was very little said in some towns.. I'm also thinking about changing the layout of how you play, something like warnings stating that you will not be able to return to an area for a long time, "halo's" to represent the map square that (when stepped on) will trigger the next main quest (side-quests will have a different colour) to start. With the "halo" system, there are many other applications such as boss-battles, trades, shops, etc. which will give a colour-coded representation of activities to complete. What does everyone think?

Guy who tried to catch the spearow flock, you were just wasting your health lol.. I made an exception so that pokeballs will never catch that pokemon, same thing with the single spearow. I wanted an error message to come up before the pokeball was thrown, but I think I remember being in a rush and having a multitude of other things to worry about (certain cutscenes were being constructed, other errors, etc.).. Really it's a small issue, but I was wondering how many people would be sitting there throwing pokeballs at it wondering why nothing was happening. :p

Ok thanks for reading, don't forget to give me some feedback and help shape this game! Also, I've stumbled across something modern in the experimental department and have seen MGC posting recently, I'm becoming very excited with what I see. Anyone who might be able to help me dismantle the starter-kit (or at least take out the battle system) and port it to this new engine, please offer your assistance (I'm looking at you, advanced starter-kit users -.-)
But don't take my word, judge for yourself:

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
Old March 30th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Pikamon2
Pikamon2

It's alright that no progress has gone on the game because you've had more important things to do and think about. I can't wait for the next update thanks for posting.
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:10 PM
unavailableartist
Beginning Trainer

Hey, I love the idea for your game... a few issues though. And maybe a game play suggestion.

Some of the graphic scenes were more annoying than pretty. I.E. the Team Rocket intro. Suggest having the background fade when pikachu is retrieved and showing a pretty picture of them (their wanted poster) instead of the hot air scene. Also, i would some how hint that the Significant pokemon such as spearow and pidgey are non catchable.

Also I found that your game was laggy, in "outside" map in particular with "tilt". Inside a building I had no lag whatsoever. Also a little more automatic with the dialogue, I searched a little for something that wasn't there in the scene where pikachu was brought to the operating room.

Over all, I c your game as great, possibly much more engaging than the original pokemon games (possibly because it follows a story). I got everything to work too, the videos worked (A little smaller than the actual game screen, but it worked just fine voice and all).....

Thumps-up!! hope my crit helps you fix on specific issues.
Old March 31st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Pikamon2
Pikamon2

I agree with unavaliableartist except for the bit about the hot air balloon I liked it but I do agree it was long but it fits the story more and gives it more build up.
Old March 31st, 2011, 04:34 PM
unavailableartist
Beginning Trainer

I loved the scene too but I hate the balloon its ugly.
I was thinking instead of the whole warrent scene and hot air balloon scene. Just let it all b about ash and the pikachu and the Med center. And right when ash gets his pikachu....
Jessie: "Go ekans"
James: "koffing! Smog attack"
Pokemon sprites appear koffing does his smog attack.
The background turns black nd a black & white warrant picture of team rocket appear!
James: "ugh! I hate this picture"
Jessie: "at least they took a picture of the real you!"
Meowth:" shut-up and steal the Pokemon so I can b top cat"
Picture gets scratched by meowth and it disappears then show All the sprites at the pokecenter.
James: "Ow! we know meoth!"
Jessie: "prepare for trouble.."
James: "and make it double"
And ETC.
and everytime they go to introduce themselves later on... meowth interrupts them with "yeah, yeah let's fight already"
What do u think?
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Pikamon2
Pikamon2

I like the idea it would make it more funnier the other idea I had was that you could have them say it everytime and a cut scene comes up ( like in the anime) but after they did it the first time in the Pokemon Center you could skip the rest after that if you didn't want to listen to the same thing over and over again and your idea "yeah, yeah lets fight already" could come up when you select skip. What do you think?

Last edited by Pikamon2; April 9th, 2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: I put "yeah, yeah lets skip to the fight" when I was meant to put "yeah, yeah lets fight already"
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:27 PM
vikerness
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomackze View Post
BTW I dled it and it says I don't have RGSS102E.dll... what is that?
:O
I have the same problem. Can you explain it? I really want to play this demo but i could'nt.
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Pikamon2
Pikamon2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikerness View Post
:O
I have the same problem. Can you explain it? I really want to play this demo but i could'nt.
Have you downloaded the RGSS player which you can search in cnet download section and type in:
RPG Maker XP (or whatever operating system you have)
Then select the top option then download it install it and then uninstall it and it should still work but you must uninstall it with only windows uninstaller because you want to leave the file behind that makes your game work if that doesn't work I'll tell you another way.

Last edited by Pikamon2; April 14th, 2011 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Forgot to add other details.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
Littlered
The Red One

Nature: Adamant
Hello, I just finished the demo

I'd first like to say I really have high hopes for this game especially cause you are taking concepts from the anime and putting it into a game that anyone could enjoy. Although I think there should be a way to have seperate save files if you ever decide to go through with who your character turns out to be. I like how the maps were much bigger and are actually based on the anime, it was a great idea actually.

Onto other things. I think there should be a change in the very first who's that pokemon. To match the story and time, we only know that 150 known species exist. Gabit doesnt come until gen 4 so I think it should be changed to something more simple like Pidgey. Even if you arent doing the same who's that pokemon directly from the anime, it should always show a pokemon that you have just encountered OR a pokemon you are to soon encounter, ive noticed the anime does that in some cases. ALSO I think it would make more sense to remove the fisherman that teaches you how to catch a pokemon in Pallet town. Instead I think that whenever you get to scripting the Viridian Forest and the Caterpie event, if you dont succeed catching Caterpie, Misty should say something to you to get the player on track.

By the way, I'd actuallybe interested on some side quests for you or even help script. Im in the middle of re-watching the anime series and wouldn't have a problem just perhaps scripting the scenes and whatever people say. Im in the middle of creating my own pokemon game which has been anounced on other topics and im still learning. So I would only be able to just type lines and stuff, I wouldn't have a chance doing the variables and eventd and such, I have someone else in my staff do it for me
Old May 3rd, 2011, 03:27 AM
emilin_rose
Togepi

Send a message via Yahoo to emilin_rose
I have found a bug.

After recieving pikachu Ash(Crimson in my game) will not run, no matter how hard i press the z button. I haven't messed with the controls at all, and it was doing it before.

Also, there are several houses that you cannot enter, but can walk into the door tile for, which is a little odd.

Also also, several of your menu frames, the last 2 at least, and it looks like it with the others as well after 28 mess up your menu a bit.

Also also also, you may want to replace "Ash" in the dialogue boxes with the player's entered name, kind of like with Gary("Uldic") in mine, he calls himself Uldic Oak.

Also also also also, after losing to wild spearows(i tried to catch the first spearow but it wouldn't stay in the ball), pikachu stops following me.

Last edited by emilin_rose; May 3rd, 2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Pikamon2
Pikamon2

I found one bug when I got defeated by Meowth of Team Rocket and you go back to your home after seeing it for a few seconds Meowth appeared again and I had to battle him and Pikachu was back to full health again when I defeated him it went back to normal and the game ended.
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:27 PM
davel777
Beginning Trainer

Umm Guys, I clicked the download link and then it just go to the site and nothing happens... and no download button.. could you guys have pics where's the download link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikamon2 View Post
Hi. I played both of your demo's and there really good. I've been following you for some time and decided to sign up. I liked the freely rotate option and the cut scenes in your first demo. Thanks.
Where Did you get the download link?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.

Last edited by davel777; May 14th, 2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old May 15th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Pikamon2
Pikamon2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel777 View Post
Umm Guys, I clicked the download link and then it just go to the site and nothing happens... and no download button.. could you guys have pics where's the download link?

Where Did you get the download link?
You can find two links to the same file on the first comment of page 6.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 06:08 PM
DK114
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
I have a sinking feeling that I'm an idiot, but I get this random error "rgss102e.dll not found"
Im sorry if Im polluting your thread but this is the first pokemon game that is not a hack that i got from this site.

EDIT: I feel like a bigger idiot for not reading a couple of posts infront of me where the answer to my problem was posted, sorry guys.

Last edited by DK114; May 23rd, 2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Pikamon2
Pikamon2

I'm not sure what the error is you'll have to wait until someone who knows replies.
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:30 PM
DarkDoom3000
Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Wow, the "who's that pokemon" thing is a very good idea. Really does a good job at making it feel like the anime.
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:39 PM
SMA_H
The Dark Victini in Disguise

Nature: Quirky
I really, really am gonna like this (when it is done). The eight-way movement and following pikachu look awesome! (Goes off to play the demo...)
Typhlosaur: To denounce the evils of truth and love,
MissingNo.:To extend our wrath to the stars above,
Typhlosaur: The Fiery Destrover, I'm Typhlosaur!
MissingNo.:And the Ultimate ThunderGlitch, I'm MissingNo.!
DarkVictini:The Cloned Shadow, I'm Dark Victini! And now...
All:We invite all to gather under the name of Team Genetic!!!
I, The DARK VICTINI, support:

(I made ^this^ banner myself! )
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Pikamon2
Pikamon2

I can't wait for the next update I wonder what new features and the next episodes it will go up to.
Old June 21st, 2011, 06:50 AM
JalordaSerpent
Run, you clever boy...
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
Great game! I LOVE the 8-way direction!
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:05 AM
Pharetra
MOM GET THE CAMERA

I don't really like the 8-way movement, I think it isn't Pokémon-ish :p
Also, there are quite the amount of tile-errors on your maps, I'd double check them.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:11 PM
Pikamon2
Pikamon2

Would you be able to add some of banned episodes as well (Not including Electric Solider Porygon because it gave 100's of kids epilepsy/fits/seizures in Japan when it was aired here's a link to the news:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%..._from_rotation) because I think it will make it different because not many people outside of Japan have seen banned episodes.

Last edited by Pikamon2; July 3rd, 2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old July 31st, 2011, 02:32 PM
Pikamon2
Pikamon2

Does anyone have any suggestions on what the next update is going to be episode wise (for example how many more episodes are going to be).

Last edited by Pikamon2; August 1st, 2011 at 02:01 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here