Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General
Reload this Page Is Pokemon childish??

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.

Closed Thread

Old May 26th, 2009 (04:10 PM).
Knowledgable Pokemon Lover

All of my friends in school tease me because I'm a pokemon fanatic. They say it's for 5 year old's and that it has no value. I completely disagree. I have learned a lot from pokemon. But, what do all of you think? It's pokemon for kids or is it for all ages? And what value does it have? I just want to hear you thoughts!

My Dream Team

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55% of plepoe can.I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! fi yuo cna raed tihs, palce it in yuor siantugre

Friend Code (Diamond): 3695 6839 1909
Old May 26th, 2009 (04:22 PM).
..is cool!

Nature: Sassy
I think the Pokemon anime is childish, but the games are not. In todays society, you get picked on for anything other then default, so I'm picked on a lot for Pokemon/Anime too, but that's there problem and if they think it's for 5 year olds, they're missing out on the fun.

Old May 26th, 2009 (04:26 PM).
Am I kawaii know? Uguu~

Pokemon is generally aimed at children. So yeah, it is pretty childish. But that doesn't really matter. Who cares what's childish and what's not as long as it's fun.
Old May 26th, 2009 (04:41 PM).
~Chloe~

Nature: Quirky
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bewbs Send a message via Skype™ to bewbs
Pokemon is for all ages. =D

Old May 26th, 2009 (04:42 PM). Edited May 26th, 2009 by kingofjokers.
This is not a custom title!!!!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to kingofjokers
the show about kids on adventure yes the game about battling monsters that can kill you but still stay cute and battle to the death is more pg then it ever get even if there isn't blood plus the complex battling system in Pokemon is way to hard for a 5 year old to understand tell that to your friends
Old May 26th, 2009 (04:43 PM).
Banned

Quote originally posted by Wulf:
Pokemon is generally aimed at children. So yeah, it is pretty childish. But that doesn't really matter. Who cares what's childish and what's not as long as it's fun.
The truth. It's always been aimed at children but can be enjoyed by the general public Anyone who says PG-13 or anything like that is fooling themselves. Whether it be about the anime, TCG, the games, or any manga. Read please.
Old May 26th, 2009 (04:52 PM).
This is not a custom title!!!!

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to kingofjokers
Quote originally posted by Warped Reflection:
The truth. It's always been aimed at children but can be enjoyed by the general public Anyone who says PG-13 or anything like that is fooling themselves. Whether it be about the anime, TCG, the games, or any manga. Read please.
thats the point to fool their friend to try it and they might like it
Old May 26th, 2009 (04:58 PM).
Route 35, there I am.

Nature: Brave
Yes, yes it is.

Now stop denying it or at least stop bringing this up every few weeks.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - The Dungeon Master/Ragewar
Old May 26th, 2009 (08:18 PM).

aww well lets look at this i'm 19 and still love pokemon - still watch the show, collect the plushies, figures and cards. have every game ever made and all the movies i don't think its childish but there will always be people that think differently. i get teased sometimes but i just ignore it because to me its fun and thats all that matters. =)

♥ name: melly
♥ platinum friend code: 4769 4332 7511
♥ my breeding center thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=181729
Old May 26th, 2009 (08:32 PM).

Nature: Calm
Well here's the deal. It's aimed at children and that's thetruth. But that shouldn't stop you from liking something you enjoy. I mean if you like a type of music and your friends don't and tease you about it, does that mean you should stop listening to that music? Of course not, the truth of the matter is is that they're probably hiding something too. They probably like something that's considered embarrassing. Now there is a way tonot make pokemon childish. Read some fanfic. nost of it's FAR from childish because the writers bring pokemon to a more realistic and mature sense. Plus, where I'm from if a girl likes something that's considered childish(like pokemon) it's alright, but if a guys likes it he's practically shunned for life. So don't listen to them, as long asyou're having fun who really cares.
Old May 26th, 2009 (08:43 PM).
Go, Mah Giant Piplup!

I pretty much agree with what they mentioned. Yes, it is aimed for kids (especially the English dubbing, which I refuse to watch today, but loved as a child), but yes, it can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone.

Would you all like prime examples? My mother completed the Pokedex on Blue. I was more of a battler and I still am. I am a "full grown" lady and I still play Pokemon. Even if it's mostly played by guys that are still in school. XD If I enjoy the game, who cares about everyone else's opinion. They don't care about my opinion, so why should I care about their own? People are silly.

I just think most people like to stir stuff up or try to pass a 'solid belief' that Pokemon is for five-year olds.
(Playing: PKMN White)
Old May 26th, 2009 (08:47 PM).
Hoenn no you didn't...

Yeah, it's definitely aimed at a younger audience. But like many have said- who really cares? Yes its somewhat illogical, but it's fun and interesting. It can also be more complex when you get into team/deck building, IV's/EV's, prediction, and so on and so forth.

Quote:
I have learned a lot from pokemon. But, what do all of you think? It's pokemon for kids or is it for all ages? And what value does it have?
I think it is a good way to explore your creative side, and connect with your inner 8 year old- no matter what your age. Today's society puts so much emphasis on only conforming to the "normal" activities. (going to school, working, etc.) And because of this, I think alot of people have lost the art of just being. Pokemon is kinda pointless, but thats the point!

I have a friend who is a really good boxer. You know what he secretly loves? Dragon Ball Z. We all have our quirks. Embrace them.

/End speech lol.
Old May 26th, 2009 (10:39 PM).

Alright, let's see here...

I am 19, a college student who is just finishing up his first year.

The other day I was talking with a friend of mine who is going to be my roommate next year. Somehow we got on the subject of favorite TV shows as we were children, and I mentioned Pokémon. This of course led into a conversation about Pokémon in general, and when I mentioned that the games were good ways to pass the time, he told me that his mother sometimes plays the games and challenged me to a Pokémon battle next year when we're rooming together.

So, I would say that, yes, Pokémon is aimed more at younger children than it is at adults...but that doesn't mean that it's not something adults can enjoy. There are actually a lot of people my age or older that either still play the games or have fond memories of playing it; I'd bet that if I did a survey of the kids on my college campus, probably about 75% of them would either still play them or have fun reminiscing about them.

I do believe, however, that that phenomenon isn't going to last. Pokémon is still big nowadays, but it's not as dominant as it used to be. When it first came out and the people my age were growing up, Pokémon was the biggest thing around, and none of its competitors were even close. I'd compare its popularity around that age group to the popularity of the Beatles during the British Invasion--there were a few holdouts, but practically everyone was into Pokémon to some degree. Pokémon cards were even banned at my elementary school because they were distracting the students. I could be wrong, but I don't see it as being as much of a force right now as it was when it first came out, and I think that it will probably lose some of its staying power because of it (i.e. there are fewer people getting into it now to begin with, and fewer of them are likely to stick with it).
Old May 26th, 2009 (10:52 PM).
-
Silver Tier

Nature: Bold
They probably play it themselves, :D
Or are a bit bored with their own life, and decide to take it out on yours, eitherway...
Sure, the anime is a little childish, but with IV, EV training.. not every child can understand that.
So, sure, there are elements of pokemon that are childish, but it's not only for children, loads of adults play it.
Old May 26th, 2009 (11:20 PM).

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to Pachireecko
Animation = Childish
Games = FUN FOR ALL!!!
Old May 26th, 2009 (11:26 PM).
Sinnoh and hoenn champion

pokemon isnt just for kids, ive got an 18 year old cousin and he still likes pokemon a bit, hes got loads of card. well at my school i admit ive got pokemon ruby and diamond and im not teased, but the anime is a bit childish these days
Old May 26th, 2009 (11:56 PM).
Onward to Music!!!

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ♣Gawain♣ Send a message via Yahoo to ♣Gawain♣
It depends on how you perceive it. If other people say it's childish to you then you received those comments, yes it's childish.

But to me, it's not childish.

VM Δ PMPairsDeviantArtPlaying...ClubsTheme
Old May 27th, 2009 (01:18 AM).

The games are designed to be played by people of all ages. I'd say nerdy but not childish
Old May 27th, 2009 (01:24 AM).

Nature: Hasty
The Anime looks a bit kiddy , but the game is not , you wont Expect a Child to know about EVs and IVs . Im actually into Competitive Battling more than the anime >.>

Old May 27th, 2009 (01:38 AM).
Crystal Tier

Nature: Timid
Unfortunately for me, there's no explaining EVs and whatnot to my friends, so i must keep my Pokemon-liking side a secret. Sure, the occasional time when we talk about what games we have, i end up saying Pokemon [something], but say that i never play it. They say ''Oh yeah, those games were brilliant!'' but still, they wouldn't accept me.
To a certain extent, a couple of years ago, i was their punch bag for sarcasm, etc. Somehow, unexplainably, the managed to make out that i watched Pokemon (which, strangly enough, i didn't. This was also before they knew i had the games). They'd completely humiliate me for something that they'd made up themselves. So if I proved them right by now admitting to liking Pokemon, i'd be shunned for the rest of my life (in the area, anyways). So, i believe that Pokemon is not childish, but i still can't admit to it.
*sad*.

This one's called 'Blue', and it's very Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old May 27th, 2009 (02:42 AM).
The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
Crystal Tier

I think the anime is aimed at children, but it seems it is aimed for all ages but people can't see by some of the things in it. I personally really like it and still watch. And the games are for everyone, it is a strategy game that requires thought. And its just fun. Pokemon is the best!

Old May 27th, 2009 (03:11 AM).
Sevipers number one fan

none of my friends know i like pokemon and they never will pokemon is my secret shame plus it aint childish anyone can like it i know adults that like pokemon still
Old May 27th, 2009 (03:39 AM).
[♠]♦]♣]♥]

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to Monochrome
Pssh... Is **** fighting childish to you? I think not!

(All credit for the art goes to various artists of DeviantArt, not mine I just thought they were all so epic)
Old May 27th, 2009 (03:47 AM).
:D

Nature: Docile
Hm. Well, I like the games, but the anime is plain stupid. To be honest, people tease me at school for liking it, but they're not teasing me so much now, becuase they're more mature now.
Old May 27th, 2009 (06:56 AM).
el su bosillo <3
Gold Tier

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to .inLOVE Send a message via Skype™ to .inLOVE
This is a subject that comes up often, and should really be understood a bit better.

Pokemon is labeled as "childish" because it involves children traveling around and little creatures as their companions. Well, that certainly could be called childish. But there are 40 year olds out there who love Pokemon and are not "nerds" or "childish" at all. As you said in the first post, Pokemon can actually teach people a lot, no matter what their age. It can teach friendship, loyalty, and responsibility. People who label it as "childish" are the real losers because they cannot understand the full potential of "some anime series".

→ You will be the only one I will ever love
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)