Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Reload this Page [Tutorial] Basic Messages in Pokescript

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old 4 Weeks Ago (04:42 AM). Edited 4 Weeks Ago by Spherical Ice.

Hey everyone, Retro here! Here's a tutorial on how to script basic messages using Pokescript in Fire Red.

Old 4 Weeks Ago (06:11 AM).
deez nuts!!!1!!!1!!!1!!
Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Please don't encourage people to use Pokescript; use XSE.

god damn it danny, another hack?
Old 4 Weeks Ago (06:24 AM).
Rikura Intensifies

Nature: Brave
To be honest pokescript is a very outdated and archaic script compiler, actually exist XSE, SEA, PKSV and Red Alien, and are much more better than pokescript, but thanks for trying to make a scripting videotutorial c:
Old 4 Weeks Ago (07:52 PM).

Really, instead of commenting on the quality of the tutorial, you guys are trashing poke script and saying my hacking methods are inferior because you prefer other programs... Thanks guys
Old 4 Weeks Ago (08:08 PM).
the better journalist
Crystal Tier

Nature: Impish
Quote originally posted by RetroGamingTactics:
Really, instead of commenting on the quality of the tutorial, you guys are trashing poke script and saying my hacking methods are inferior because you prefer other programs... Thanks guys
That's not really the issue here. Pokescript was written in a time when people were still figuring out how scripting worked so there are a number of commands that are either missing or incorrect, and the compiler is buggy. Now neither XSE nor PKSV are perfect, but they represent a significant step forward compared to Pokescript in terms of both usability and safety.
Old 4 Weeks Ago (08:52 PM).
fun in the sun
Platinum Tier

The only real problem is that the tutorial is using outdated software that is buggy. It's therefore prone to errors and glitches that would otherwise be fixed with other scripting programs. That's why it's being criticized so much.

To put this into comparison, it's like telling people to use Windows XP when Windows 10 is clearly superior. It's both supported by the community and is much more recent and works better in general. There's exactly 0 reasons to use Windows XP at this point (Unless it's a VM that you won't use regularly for 16-bit applications), such that there's basically 0 reasons to use Pokescript anymore, plus, it's over 8 years old and hasn't been updated in almost as long! Trust me, I made this mistake too.

voler avec moi
Old 4 Weeks Ago (09:25 PM).
Rikura Intensifies

That doesn't make sense, it is as if I make a tutorial of how to insert tiles with UNLZ, or how insert overworlds with Tile Molester, the life is in constant evolution, the technology evolves, and also the Romhacking methods and tutorials evolves, isn't necesary make tutorials with outdated, harder and buggy methods, you can contribute with other type of useful tutorials, but the pokescript method aren't good in this times.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)