The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old October 16th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Nature: Modest

Advertise here
Good tutorial, it's a big help for Ruby hackers (not me unforunately >.<)

Anyways, please post on the tutorial that the images must be inserted at an offset ending in 0,4,8 or C because they're LZ77 compressed and that's why some people's don't work.
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Zero Karma Loss
Beginning Trainer

You're right about NTME. I went ahead and redrew it in 8BPP and it loads just fine at the R/S World Map settings. I should note that I'm only getting one "Ptr found at 00XXXXXX. Changed." message per insertion in unLZ.

The map is still all over the place, but the colors are correct. For whatever reason it seems determined not to adjust to my Johto rendition and scatter itself across the original Hoenn outline instead.
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:57 AM
007manyo
"The Name's Bond..."

i have this pic:

but i dont know how to turn it into a tilemap...
help?

Click Mr. happy to go to my game, Questions With Holes!
d(^-^d)
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Larsie13
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokepal17 View Post
Good tutorial, it's a big help for Ruby hackers (not me unforunately >.<)

Anyways, please post on the tutorial that the images must be inserted at an offset ending in 0,4,8 or C because they're LZ77 compressed and that's why some people's don't work.
I totally forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me. I'll add it right away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Karma Loss View Post
You're right about NTME. I went ahead and redrew it in 8BPP and it loads just fine at the R/S World Map settings. I should note that I'm only getting one "Ptr found at 00XXXXXX. Changed." message per insertion in unLZ.

The map is still all over the place, but the colors are correct. For whatever reason it seems determined not to adjust to my Johto rendition and scatter itself across the original Hoenn outline instead.
Hmm... Just one message, you say? Did you, by any chance not make a backup before you reinserted the tileset/tilemap? (Or did make a backup, but didn't use it, and inserted the new tileset/tilemap over the previously inserted ones?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007manyo View Post
i have this pic:

but i dont know how to turn it into a tilemap...
help?
Well, first off, I see that your image is too big to fit on the GBA screen, which is 240x160 pixels. So unless you make the map smaller, it won't be shown in VBA completely. Second, I think you mean "tileset" instead of "tilemap". And third, check here for an easy way to make a tileset and tilemap out of an image. I'll add this to the first post, too.
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:25 PM
007manyo
"The Name's Bond..."

thanks!
the reason its that big is because i assumed your picture on the first post would fit on a GBA screen at 264x168, that is the size you made your picture, so i made mine that big to match your size. i'll fix it soon!

oh and by the way, i can't acess youtube due to internet filters.

d(^-^d)

Last edited by 007manyo; October 18th, 2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: extra message
Old October 19th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Larsie13
Gone

Well, the reason my map is that big, is because it has land at the bottom and right edge. If I would have made the map 240x160, and zoomed in on the map in the Pokénav, you could clearly see the sea cutting of the land. With this size, it looks like the land continues. That's the only reason. But you should never place towns and routes outside of the 240x160 border. In fact, in-game, the cursor can't even reach the outermost parts of the screen. The 8 left- and rightmost pixels are inaccessible, just like the 16 topmost, and the 24 bottom pixels. Keep that in mind when creating a map.
Old October 20th, 2009, 06:39 PM
007manyo
"The Name's Bond..."

aah. ok.
but i load my map just now and it goes all screwy...
no pics, my old IE7 doesn't support the popup for inserting pics...
anyway, i might have saved things in 4bpp (that is what i'm used to saving things in, i'm more a firered hacker than a R/S/E hacker.)instead of 8bpp.

d(^-^d)
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:19 AM
Larsie13
Gone

Yeah, that's one of the differences between FR/LG and R/S/E. That's why, when you switch to another ROM, you should make sure you know what differences there are compared to the old one. (Or at least most of 'em.)
Old November 4th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
I followed the tutorial, and after several attempts I finally got it right, but...

It doesn't change the map that displays in the PokeDex, it only changes the map that displays on the TownMap/PokeNav.
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Larsie13
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztecFire View Post
I followed the tutorial, and after several attempts I finally got it right, but...

It doesn't change the map that displays in the PokeDex, it only changes the map that displays on the TownMap/PokeNav.
Unfortunately, yes, that's true. I knew that already. The Pokédex worldmap is a different image, and as far as I know, it's in 4BPP, unlike the Pokénav / Fly worldmaps. But, so far, I haven't managed to change the Pokédex worldmap yet.
Old December 5th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

I think I figured out how to edit the PokeDex world map!

You know how in Emerald, the world map tileset number for Unlz is 245? Well, I found a second tileset resembling the worldmap! The second tileset number for Unlz is 328. I'll try editing it later to see if I'm correct.

EDIT: For some reason I found a 3rd map tileset at 330 (Unlz).

EDIT: I SUCCESSFULLY CHANGED THE POKEDEX MAP!!!

The only tools I had to use was UnlzGBA, and NTME. And no, that image is not fake. I just wanted to make a simple looking map just to see if it actually works.

EDIT: The Unlz number for the Pokedex tilemap is 328 (Emerald). I still don't know what the 330 tilemap is for. And yes, it's in 4BPP.

This is what I did:
1. Open up Unlz, go to 328, 256 Color mode, exported the tileset.
2. Open up Paint, and then pasted my tileset into it (and since Unlz indexes the exported file, the colors are correct)
3. With NTME, make a tilemap with your indexed tileset, save as .raw
4. Back to Unlz, import the new tileset: http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2637/newtilemap.png
(You don't have to find a new offset, only if it's too big).
5. Click 'Next', now do Load Raw, and select the tilemap you made with NTME. I put in a free offset just in case.
6. Now with VBA, go to your Pokedex, select any random Pokemon, and look at it's "AREA". This is what it should look like: http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7843/finallyj.png

Last edited by Chaos Rush; December 5th, 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Larsie13
Gone

Thanks, and good job! I had found that second tileset myself, but when I changed it, the Pokédex worldmap in-game didn't change, for some reason...
Anyway, I'll add that to the first post.
Old December 16th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Sky

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to 12345
Make sure with your your unLZ number.
search about 238, but for many reason, the number is not true for the edited rom, so you need to find it, here is a sign:
pokedextilesetworldmap ==>pokedextilemapworldmap (raw) ==> another tileset==>another tile map==>pokenavi call bag.
and raw file is 4bpp. So I thinks you have to make a new tile map but the locations must same as the old one. (normal world map)
And note don't write with new offset, it may make your rom has bugs.

And here is the palete offset:
61d140 and 61d160
That mean you have 32 color for the worldmap (I think you should use under 30 color)
U can use hex editor or APE to edit. Don't stick compressed L77.... when use APE.

Favorite Pokemon Game: GBA-Emerald, DS-Platinum, Dungeon-Red/Blue, Ranger - Guardian Signs

Last edited by 12345; December 16th, 2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old December 17th, 2009, 02:27 AM
TypeiroZySopy
Beginning Trainer

Send a message via ICQ to TypeiroZySopy
to correct something, you can use this toi hide a exe or any other file, but it will not be as straight forward to get the file back out of the jpeg. there are a lot of tools to hide any type of data in a jpeg so search around this one just is easy lol. just look up stegnography or however the **** u spell itelchupathingy
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:10 PM
raidenx2008
Beggining Hacker

good tut, it helps me very much, but....i`ll like to know how to change the "HOENN" to anything else...(changing the map name)
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Larsie13
Gone

You mean the "HOENN MAP FULL VIEW" thing from here?

That's an image. Can't change it with A-Text. You'll have to use unLZ.GBA for that. There are plenty unLZ tutorials in the Documents & Tutorials section.
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:44 PM
Johto_legend
Smoochum

this is a great tutorial. but like i seen above, does this application work with the looks of the cities in the new versions like D/P/P or even HG/SS?
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Larsie13
Gone

It should, yes. As a matter of fact, I can't imagine it not working. Because even though D/P/Pt/HG/SS have given the townmaps a new look, in fact, they still use the same layout as the GBA games do. You just have to change the palettes.
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM
foullump
Rom Hacking Guru

Nature: Calm
Thank you. This is the most comprehensive tutorial out there. The only thing is I work with fire red. But given my skill level I can surely work around that! xD I'm going to follow this guide and see what I can do with it in fire red. I'll let you know how it turns out next week.
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Johto_legend
Smoochum

Thx for the response. but by any chance is it possible to make the part of the map shown more of a square then a rectangle. using like scripts of anything?
Old January 30th, 2010, 01:36 PM
ElBurrito
Trainer of Shadows

I cant seem tp figure out how to get it to work. i made the tileset and map but when i insert them into the rom the map looks all glitchy.
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:55 PM
EvilBloodGnome
Beginning Trainer

Yeah, I'm having some problems with this too. Seems awfully popular to, eh?

Here's a video up with me doing it step-by-step so someone can tell me at which point I'm shooting myself in the foot :]

http(colon)//www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=ONEI1MsgVbQ

I followed the instructions to my understanding, but still failures. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: png NewMap.png‎ (17.8 KB, 17 views) (Save to Dropbox)
File Type: png NewMapTile.png‎ (16.7 KB, 9 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by EvilBloodGnome; January 31st, 2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Adding map and tile files
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:15 PM
Larsie13
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBloodGnome View Post
Yeah, I'm having some problems with this too. Seems awfully popular to, eh?

Here's a video up with me doing it step-by-step so someone can tell me at which point I'm shooting myself in the foot :]

http(colon)//www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=ONEI1MsgVbQ

I followed the instructions to my understanding, but still failures. Any ideas?
This problem seems familiar. I've solved this problem once before. You put the tileset and tilemap 1 byte apart. You should at least keep them 0x1000 bytes apart, just to be safe. So, 0xDF0000 and 0xDF1000, for instance. (I should probably put that in the first post...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johto_legend View Post
Thx for the response. but by any chance is it possible to make the part of the map shown more of a square then a rectangle. using like scripts of anything?
You could just make a square map, and add 1 black tile to the tilemap, and fill the edges of the map with that, but then you would still be able to move the cursor there. If you don't want that to be possible, then you would have to use ASM to change where the cursor could go. (Don't ask me how.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBurrito View Post
I cant seem tp figure out how to get it to work. i made the tileset and map but when i insert them into the rom the map looks all glitchy.
Would it by any chance be the same problem EvilBloodGnome has?
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:15 PM
EvilBloodGnome
Beginning Trainer

Bleh. Still not working. I'll keep at it, just wish I knew what the problem was <.<
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:51 PM
limeyman
limeyman

Nature: Hardy
Good tutorial it was great i will follow it when I can

But can you use this in your hacks here?

Im currently on:
Warhammer- online karak-norn limess
4story- UK server 1 limeyman012
Evony server 4- limeyman Nafta1LB
Cabal online- dont know my name on it yet

Pokemon games I am on:
Emerald:
Torchic lvl 5

http://sites.google.com/site/limeymanshacks/home my hacks homepage

Theres no sense crying over every mistake you must keep on trying til you run out of cake.

Last edited by limeyman; February 1st, 2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here