The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old February 3rd, 2010, 01:56 AM
Larsie13
Gone

Nature: Modest

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBloodGnome View Post
Bleh. Still not working. I'll keep at it, just wish I knew what the problem was <.<
I just watched the video again, and noticed you set the codec in TileMolester to 8bpp planar. It should be 8bpp linear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyman View Post
Good tutorial it was great i will follow it when I can

But can you use this in your hacks here?
"This"? You mean the tutorial? If so, yes, that's what it's supposed to be used for.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:18 PM
Johto_legend
Smoochum

hey wat is the size of the grid u see during the game. you didnt give the actually size. like if the entire thing is 240x160 wat is the dimensions for inside the black box?
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:35 AM
mikocoon
error? who cares?

Nature: Quiet
how to expand picture frame?
Old February 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Larsie13
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johto_legend View Post
hey wat is the size of the grid u see during the game. you didnt give the actually size. like if the entire thing is 240x160 wat is the dimensions for inside the black box?
You mean the area where there cursor can move in-game? That's 224*120. The leftmost and rightmost 8 pixels can't be accessed, and 24 pixels from the top and 16 from the bottom. Anything in between can be accessed by the cursor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikocoon View Post
how to expand picture frame?
What do you mean by picture frame?
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:35 PM
mikocoon
error? who cares?

Nature: Quiet
in your tutorial you say this "NOTE: Before you save, make sure to expand the picture frame, so there's some room left next to the picture, and click there to deselect the image you just pasted" and i dont know how to expand it,so i need help
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Larsie13
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikocoon View Post
in your tutorial you say this "NOTE: Before you save, make sure to expand the picture frame, so there's some room left next to the picture, and click there to deselect the image you just pasted" and i dont know how to expand it,so i need help
You just drag the edge of the area with the image in it, like this:
Spoiler:
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Neutral12
The EV Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to Neutral12 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neutral12 Send a message via Yahoo to Neutral12
Uhh I tried doing this and things went completely wrong and I have no idea what I just did. I loaded my map on the ROM and it turned into this;

And what I want it to look like is this;

I think I did something wrong with the unLZ but i'm not exactly sure, so I came here for help.
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Mr.Silver
Say Hello To Nurse Barbra

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr.Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral12 View Post
Uhh I tried doing this and things went completely wrong and I have no idea what I just did. I loaded my map on the ROM and it turned into this;

And what I want it to look like is this;

I think I did something wrong with the unLZ but i'm not exactly sure, so I came here for help.
Lemme guess....you put the raw over the normal map?.....You put in the NEXT one after the map tiles.

Old February 7th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Neutral12
The EV Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Neutral12 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neutral12 Send a message via Yahoo to Neutral12
Does this mean I have to start all over again?
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Mr.Silver
Say Hello To Nurse Barbra

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mr.Silver
Quote:
Does this mean I have to start all over again?
As long as you have a backup, no you don't.But if you dont then yes you do...

Old February 7th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Neutral12
The EV Trainer

I do have a backup, so I guess I will try again.

Edit: Ok now i'm just completely lost on what i'm doing...

Edit2: This time I realize I used planar instead of linear. So now I changed it to linear and it currently looks like this;

So now it's starting to look more like the town, but yea... It's absolutely screwed up still. So now what is wrong with it?

Edit3: Now I realize I had too many tiles and it wasn't 8bpp. So now when I go to upload the Sphere file I get this;

Last edited by Neutral12; February 7th, 2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Larsie13
Gone

Quote:
Spoiler:
I do have a backup, so I guess I will try again.

Edit: Ok now i'm just completely lost on what i'm doing...

Edit2: This time I realize I used planar instead of linear. So now I changed it to linear and it currently looks like this;

So now it's starting to look more like the town, but yea... It's absolutely screwed up still. So now what is wrong with it?

Edit3: Now I realize I had too many tiles and it wasn't 8bpp. So now when I go to upload the Sphere file I get this;

Hmm, that's a bug in NTME. I don't know what could cause such a thing, so I think you should contact NTME's creator, D-Trogh, either via PM or VM, or here.
(Though I'm not sure if he'll respond; he hasn't been online this year.) I'm afraid I can't help you with this.

EDIT: 150 posts.
Old February 8th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Neutral12
The EV Trainer

Is there any kind of alternative to making the Tilemap?

Edit: This time I decided to make the Tilemap myself (literally hand drawn on NTME).

(Don't worry I noticed that patch of green in the bottom right corner, it was made into water after the screenshot)

Yet, I get another error. However this time it is closer to looking like a map;

Edit2: Ok now something really weird just happened. I checked my map in the emulator again and now it just changed pattern...

Last edited by Neutral12; February 8th, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Chaos Rush
im sexy and i know it

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
stuff
Make sure under "Preset Sizes" select, "Emerald WM".

The Chaos Emerald ROM Base (it's gonna take awhile)

DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource NOW COMPLETED
Custom Sugimori-style Pokémon Sprite Resource IN PROGRESS

Non-Pokémon hacks I support:
Sonic Classic Heroes
Sonic 3 Complete
Old February 8th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Neutral12
The EV Trainer

Ok so now it works, but NOW I'm having size issues (Basically i can't reach all my cities within the limits. Now I want to know the following;

How big should my map be?
How do I know where the GBAs limit is on my image?
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Larsie13
Gone

Quote:
Ok so now it works, but NOW I'm having size issues (Basically i can't reach all my cities within the limits. Now I want to know the following;

How big should my map be?
How do I know where the GBA's limit is on my image?
Your map should be 240x160 pixels, usually, because that's the GBA's screen's size. Except if there's land at the bottom or right, then you should increase the size a little for the map to not have sea after the edge if you zoom in in the PokéNav. Either make an edge, or let the land continue for 24 pixels to the right, and 8 down. (It can suddenly end, it doesn't matter, because anything bigger than 264x168 will not be seen on screen, ever.)

If you want to know what area the cursor can get to, check the first post. It's the second image in the first spoiler.

And no, there's no other way to make the map than to use a tilemap.
Old February 9th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Neutral12
The EV Trainer

I finally got it working! Thanks for all the help.
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Shiny Quagsire
どないやねん, ヤドン

Nature: Jolly
Ok, I completly followed the tutorial, and something went wrong. It's a complete jumble. It looked similar to neutral12's thing. It changes and it's messed up.
Old February 26th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Larsie13
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny quagsire View Post
Ok, I completly followed the tutorial, and something went wrong. It's a complete jumble. It looked similar to neutral12's thing. It changes and it's messed up.
Well, I can't tell exactly what the problem is without any more info. Did you use Chaos Rush's tip? (It's five posts up.) If you did, and it still doesn't work as it should, post again with some more info, preferably a screenshot or something.
Old February 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Shiny Quagsire
どないやねん, ヤドン

Yes, I did, only for the ruby worldmap. I think it might be that it isnt repointing after I fixed the tilemap. (I had it 1 tile too wide).

EDIT:
I opened my backup, and reinserted the tilemap and tileset. Still has problems. I also used the same pointers you used.

Last edited by Shiny Quagsire; February 26th, 2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:21 AM
Larsie13
Gone

Could you show me a screenshot of NTME, TileMolester and VBA? Makes it easier for me to identify the problem.
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Shiny Quagsire
どないやねん, ヤドン

Quote:
Your map should be 240x160 pixels, usually, because that's the GBA's screen's size. Except if there's land at the bottom or right, then you should increase the size a little for the map to not have sea after the edge if you zoom in in the PokéNav. Either make an edge, or let the land continue for 24 pixels to the right, and 8 down. (It can suddenly end, it doesn't matter, because anything bigger than 264x168 will not be seen on screen, ever.)
I didn't do that so maybe that the problem.

Anyways, I decided to use Firered for my hack. I guess it's just more easier to use for me. Sorry for your trouble.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:44 AM
Potatoman1287
Beginning Trainer

Could someone explain to me the offsets? I don't exactly understand what offset I'm supposed to be putting in to get the two 'Ptr change' messages. I've only gotten one and sometimes no messages when I rewrite.
Old May 8th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Larsie13
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoman1287 View Post
Could someone explain to me the offsets? I don't exactly understand what offset I'm supposed to be putting in to get the two 'Ptr change' messages. I've only gotten one and sometimes no messages when I rewrite.
If you don't know what offset to choose, there's a tool just for that purpose. Go to HackMew's Toolbox and download Free Space Finder (FSF).
Be sure to select "search from offset" and type 800000 in the box in Ruby or Sapphire, or E00000 if you're using Emerald.
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Potatoman1287
Beginning Trainer

Alright. When I wrote over the rom, I now saw the two messages each time. Only problem is the game can't run anymore. VBA is popping up with with an error saying it can't read the image. I'm assuming I wrote over the wrong image or something. I can't really tell what the world map image is supposed to look like. I jumped to 245 (I am using Emerald) and shifted up and down about 20 but nothing looks remotely like the worldmap or bearing any hint to one. Can you screenshot what sort of image I'm supposed to look for?

Edit: Now it's inserted but the colors are off. The colors should be like your map's colors. i196 (dot) photobucket (dot) com/albums/aa58/darkpidgeot/mapdiscolor (dot) png

Last edited by Potatoman1287; May 9th, 2010 at 09:04 AM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here