Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games
Reload this Page Pokemon Eternity - Realtime Battles, future MMO

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old January 3rd, 2010 (04:32 AM).
Eternity Staff

Quote originally posted by SEED-00:
awesome game
by the way, im a spriter, if you happened to need spriters. just pm me.

you can see some of my sprite works at this link
(just copy this link to your webpage)(i cant put links because i dont have 15 or more post)

s967.photobucket.com/home/seed-01

those sprites are r/s/e style.
characters are from the anime and manga

note: no one can use those sprites unless given permission by me. im saving those for a pokemon game project
Thk you for support ! we already have spriterS but if we need help, we'll contact you.

Quote originally posted by Suger:
Thanks for answering my question so quickly.

Just an idea for eggs if you're doing time, maby you could have something like;
when you have an eggm in your party after a certain number of seconds it will hatch (e.g. eevee takes 6400 steps so maby 6400 second in your party?)

Or maybe if you go with steps, each time your sprite 'steps' it will get closer to hatching,
Or possibly every time you go over a grid square?

I dunno, just wording my ideas. But of course if you have a better or more practical way to hatch them go for it!

Also about the mapper thing; you want people to make dungeons, towns, scenes or what? I'm a little confused...

Thanks for tolerating a noob's questioning '
this is an mmo ... 6400 s is really short

Well for the map contest, you do what you want how you want where you want (for example someone just post a map with real material on our forum, i don't really like that, but you do what you want).

You can map a dungeon if you want DO WHAT YOU WANT :D

for example someone do that (otos, it is forbidden to rip):
Spoiler:

Old January 3rd, 2010 (06:56 AM).
Lolwut

this is an mmo ... 6400 s is really short ^^

Well for the map contest, you do what you want how you want where you want (for example someone just post a map with real material on our forum, i don't really like that, but you do what you want).

You can map a dungeon if you want ^^ DO WHAT YOU WANT :D

for example someone do that (otos, it is forbidden to rip):
Spoiler:

[/QUOTE]

106 Minutes continuous game play for an Eevee to hatch isn't that much. Maybe we could have it so you need to play for 106 minutes and step 6400 times.
Old January 3rd, 2010 (10:57 AM).
Coder for Pokemon Eternity

Send a message via AIM to Spira
Thanks for answering my question so quickly.

Just an idea for eggs if you're doing time, maby you could have something like;
when you have an eggm in your party after a certain number of seconds it will hatch (e.g. eevee takes 6400 steps so maby 6400 second in your party?)

Or maybe if you go with steps, each time your sprite 'steps' it will get closer to hatching,
Or possibly every time you go over a grid square?

I dunno, just wording my ideas. But of course if you have a better or more practical way to hatch them go for it!

Also about the mapper thing; you want people to make dungeons, towns, scenes or what? I'm a little confused...

Thanks for tolerating a noob's questioning '
Time may be too easy as you just AFK and could hatch an egg. Steps may be too little since it's fairly easy to just walk in circles. Like I said we'll have to think of some better way this will work.

Quote originally posted by SEED-00:
awesome game
by the way, im a spriter, if you happened to need spriters. just pm me.

you can see some of my sprite works at this link
(just copy this link to your webpage)(i cant put links because i dont have 15 or more post)

s967.photobucket.com/home/seed-01

those sprites are r/s/e style.
characters are from the anime and manga

note: no one can use those sprites unless given permission by me. im saving those for a pokemon game project
Nice work. Most of the sprites will be from D/P/P if you have any experience with those that'd be awesome. LMK.
Old January 3rd, 2010 (02:12 PM).
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

How about counting the number of battles you have? It's said that Pokémon Eggs hatch if they're around active pokémon, which is why you get your Togepi in Gold/Silver. Perhaps Eggs can hatch after you've defeated 200 pokémon while it was in your party (or some other number). Depositing an Egg lowers that count by, say, 50, much like happiness lowers (or it lowers by 5 for every hour it's not in your party).
Old January 3rd, 2010 (04:43 PM).
I Love C++

Step system will gradually slow down your server, since you have to send the info every step you take, unless you have high bandwidth, it will gradually mess you up. and also since computers have a limited memory, storing the steps of all the players can take a big chunk of memory (since python does not have a limit on the integer length, it just increases the ram usage as it goes up) Or you can just send it everytime they exit the map and check if its higher and only start the counter when an egg is present.
Old January 4th, 2010 (07:44 PM).
Legendary Pokemon of Sweets

Nature: Quiet
Quote originally posted by lusidea:
106 Minutes continuous game play for an Eevee to hatch isn't that much. Maybe we could have it so you need to play for 106 minutes and step 6400 times.
That might work.

Another question; Eventually, maby after the full release or something, are you planning on doing Shinies? It's ok if you don't know, I'm just a little curious.

Someday my curiosity will get me in a lot of trouble >>

Click below for the ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything!

Spoiler:

Click below for God's final message to his creation!
Spoiler:
We're Sorry for the Inconvinience

Spoiler:
I am annoyed to announce that Life Bites, especially if your dog is named Life.

Old January 5th, 2010 (08:08 AM).
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
Quote originally posted by Maruno:
How about counting the number of battles you have? It's said that Pokémon Eggs hatch if they're around active pokémon, which is why you get your Togepi in Gold/Silver. Perhaps Eggs can hatch after you've defeated 200 pokémon while it was in your party (or some other number). Depositing an Egg lowers that count by, say, 50, much like happiness lowers (or it lowers by 5 for every hour it's not in your party).
Happiness doesn't lower if you put a Pokémon in the PC... If this system is used, it shouldn't affect eggs, either.
Old January 5th, 2010 (08:20 AM).
Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote originally posted by Wichu:
Happiness doesn't lower if you put a Pokémon in the PC... If this system is used, it shouldn't affect eggs, either.
I didn't say "happiness for Eggs". I was just trying to think of more factors that would affect hatching time than just "kill X opponents" that would make some vague sense in the Pokéverse.

How about lowering hatching time by 20 kills if you wrap the Egg in a blanket? Implement it much like held items, except Eggs can only "hold" blankets/hatching units (as I believe the anime shows), and there are several different kinds to choose from:
  • Ones the change (usually lower) the number of kills required before hatching.
  • Ones that change (usually raise) the happiness of the hatched pokémon.
  • Ones that teach the hatched pokémon a particular move.
  • Ones that change the stats/nature of the hatched pokémon.
  • Combinations of the above.
And depositing your Pikachu in Yellow makes it unhappy.
Old January 5th, 2010 (08:29 AM). Edited January 5th, 2010 by Lusidea.
Lolwut

That might work.

Another question; Eventually, maby after the full release or something, are you planning on doing Shinies? It's ok if you don't know, I'm just a little curious.

Someday my curiosity will get me in a lot of trouble >>
Yes, staff members will probably have shinies at the start of the game, but there will eventually be shinies released, as long as someone recolours all the sprites.

Quote originally posted by Maruno:
I didn't say "happiness for Eggs". I was just trying to think of more factors that would affect hatching time than just "kill X opponents" that would make some vague sense in the Pokéverse.

How about lowering hatching time by 20 kills if you wrap the Egg in a blanket? Implement it much like held items, except Eggs can only "hold" blankets/hatching units (as I believe the anime shows), and there are several different kinds to choose from:
  • Ones the change (usually lower) the number of kills required before hatching.
  • Ones that change (usually raise) the happiness of the hatched pokémon.
  • Ones that teach the hatched pokémon a particular move.
  • Ones that change the stats/nature of the hatched pokémon.
  • Combinations of the above.
And depositing your Pikachu in Yellow makes it unhappy.
This is actually a really good idea.
Old January 5th, 2010 (08:22 PM).
Legendary Pokemon of Sweets

Nature: Quiet
I can help with re-colouring sprites if you want. I also should have a shiny ponyta sheet lying around in my pictures folder...

As for things like 'wrapping eggs in blankets' to make them hatch faster. It's an interesting idea, and it would work too!
It would be awesome if features like that could be put into the fina version.

Click below for the ultimate answer to Life, the Universe and Everything!

Spoiler:

Click below for God's final message to his creation!
Spoiler:
We're Sorry for the Inconvinience

Spoiler:
I am annoyed to announce that Life Bites, especially if your dog is named Life.

Old January 5th, 2010 (08:26 PM).
I Love C++

Will you have a dedicated server (like the high end ones, with high bandwidth) or just run it off your home pc?
Old January 6th, 2010 (04:44 AM). Edited January 6th, 2010 by Lén.
Eternity Staff

OH NOES I HAZ BEEN CENSORED

Old January 6th, 2010 (06:44 AM).
I <3 MyBB for this option!

That's the greatest Pokemon game I ever seen ! XD

Maybe I start in mapping contest, but my mapping sux a bit
Tell me, don't want other help?

Examples:

- item databases, descriptions
- monster attacks/stats
- NPC's
- in-game player supporter (ex. on beta server)
- quest writing or scripting

or some easy to code client/server things (coz I know you are more skilled, lol)
Old January 6th, 2010 (07:11 AM).
Lolwut

Quote originally posted by Szulerski:

Maybe I start in mapping contest, but my mapping sux a bit :P

Examples:

- monster attacks/stats
- NPC's

or some easy to code client/server things (coz I know you are more skilled, lol)
I'm busy writing a storyline, could you write a Mission as an example of your work?
Old January 6th, 2010 (09:08 AM).
Eternity Staff

Maybe I start in mapping contest, but my mapping sux a bit

Examples:

- monster attacks/stats
- NPC's

- already done
- already done
- spira's coding npc system
- not required, all the admins will be online for the beta :lol:
- well ... lusidea as answered you

Old January 6th, 2010 (09:27 AM).
I Love C++

Quote originally posted by Lén:
Not working on client <-> server system ...

client <-> server <-> DB

Server is an admin I guess, and DB is hosted somwehere on the internet (with high bandwith).
So server and DB are different servers? I dont think thats a good Idea since that needs more bandwidth and the extra step to transfer the data from the server to the DB server is redundant. Just make the server do all the DB work. Its the most effecient way since theres only need for it to transfer the data once over teh internet, unless you are trying to pull off a multi game server like the highend games, but I doubt you have the money to do it and maintaine it
Old January 6th, 2010 (10:17 AM). Edited January 6th, 2010 by Lén.
Eternity Staff

Old January 6th, 2010 (10:43 AM). Edited January 6th, 2010 by davidthefat.
I Love C++

Quote originally posted by Lén:
Well ... Admins are the servers ... and the database is a host on internet ...

the advantage is that every players will be on the same database, so if they are on different servers, they can play together !

Every servers will host as many players as they can ...
I have
Up: 200kB/s to 400kB/s
Down: 750kB/s to 2MB/s

Kami has done calculus (or spira I don't know) and she told me that:
1 kB/s ~= 1 Player

To keep the game playing I will, for example, host at max 200 players ...

You will say that I will have to dial with the DB too, yeah, so why 200 players are good ? because when i'm at 200kB/s it's between 7pm to 9pm ... and at this time i'm can't host so ... it will work.

Then, kami as already had this discussion with some friends of her and they have concluded that it was the best things to do according to what we are looking for.

EDIT: there will be 2 DB I think ... English/French .... and who knows maybe more in the future :lol:
But do you have enough money to accomplish this? thats roughly 6 servers minimum, 1 for DB english and another for french, 2 french game servers and 2 english game servers, that 6 in total

to save costs, just have 2 servers, 1 french and 1 english, each with its own DB
Old January 6th, 2010 (10:53 AM). Edited January 6th, 2010 by Lén.
Eternity Staff

Old January 6th, 2010 (11:55 AM).
Eternity's Chief

Len wasn't really clear about the subject.
It will be one or more dedicated server.
Please do not ask about those kind of stuff anymore, like money, because it's not really your buiseness.
Old January 6th, 2010 (12:24 PM). Edited January 15th, 2010 by Lusidea.
Lolwut

Competition closed due to incorrect information
Old January 6th, 2010 (12:37 PM).
I Love C++

I was just trying to be helpful, honestly it looks great, but if they cant pull off the right configurations of server client infrastructure, it will fail miserably since thats the main part of MMOs
Old January 6th, 2010 (12:46 PM).
I <3 MyBB for this option!

Quote:
could you write a Mission as an example of your work?
I don't know are you expecting something like this lusidea
Mission is a simple quest not affecting your main rpg storyline right? So that's mine try:

(*1)When you visit Pokemon Center you heard two local villagers conversation.
They were talking about strange incidents during last days - small robberies in Eternity Town.
Gold monets, valueable watches, shining earrings, necklaces are missing.
Police is looking for a robber, but you want to gather some information by your own.
(*2)You are going to talk to town NPCs (ex. pokemon center healer, shops npc etc.) to
investigate this incident.
(*3)When you are talking with Shop NPC, he's mention about latest rumors -
poor Fisherman, who is living in a coast is forcing his kids to stole food and jewelry
from town people. NPC is sure that Fisherman's kids are behind robberies, because they're poor and his father is a stranger.
(*4)You are going to investigate more and visit Fisherman house.
(*5)When you are in house, you can't believe that old fisherman and his 5 sons live in dirty place like this.
But even in this situation he was smiling and gave you some tea and talk about village and his past.
(*6)You are leaving house in good mood, there is no chance that nice person like fisherman
may force his kids to stealing.
Someone is chasing you - that's fisherman youngest son.
He is talking about horrible thing - only reminder about his dead Granpa - 'Grandpa Watch'(quest item, yay!) was stolen last night!
(*7) He is asking for your help. When you accept (you can also decline quest!), he is talking about strange
footprints in mud behind his house(house is on coast), you are looking at this footprints but can't recognise it.
Sea water wash them out a bit.
(*8)Accoring to footprints you are heading to forest (nice to have some big dungeon to spend some time and gain exp xD)
(*9)In deeper part of forest you see some devastated blueberry bushes and fruit trees.
(*10)When you follow this path you find a place where all jewelery and stolen food is lying. You also found 'Grandpa Watch'.
But there is no sight of thief.
Suddenly a big Lickitung is appearing from bush, slam you in fury (by his big tongue) and ran from his hideout.
(*11)Now you are chasing Lickitung through the forest (this part of map only obtainable through quest!)
(*12)Finally you caught Lickitung by taking shortcut and jump from clif on him.
(*13)Fight begin - when you fail Lickitung dissappear.
(*14)After beating and catching Lickitung to Pokeball you are heading back to Eternity Town.
(*15)First you are heading to Fisherman house, and talk to his youngest son in reward you get fishing accessories.(special rod or lure maybe?)
Next you are heading to Police Officer, told him about all of this and about place with stolen things.

You have quest Pokemon - Lickitung ! XD
(and fishing accessories!)

Maybe this isn't a great adventure but I was trying XD
I know there are some grammar mistakes ;/

Posted to public so anyone can comment it, lol
Old January 6th, 2010 (01:18 PM).
Eternity Staff

Maybe this isn't a great adventure but I was trying XD
Are you kidding ? How did you create such an Epic quest with a watch stolen :D
I love it !

Old January 6th, 2010 (02:56 PM).