The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #51    
Old July 2nd, 2009 (05:33 PM).
tpravetz
... doesn't exist.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a swirling vortex of impending doom
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_queen3 View Post
Hmm, have you triend shrinking it to 64*64 size?

Nice tutorial by the way mate, now I can have Minusle and all the real Pokemon up yo 3rd gen. :D
Thank you! I am glad to have been of service.
__________________
Join the Suro revolution |Win the war of Majasuroshia| Fight the Oppressors
Reply With Quote
  #52    
Old July 4th, 2009 (05:01 PM).
sky_queen3's Avatar
sky_queen3
Minusle Fangirl. ;)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpravetz View Post
Thank you! I am glad to have been of service.
Aww, you're welcome. I've added Minusle to Leaf Green, now I need to try and plonk it Sapphire for added realism. :D
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53    
Old July 6th, 2009 (12:26 AM).
tpravetz
... doesn't exist.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a swirling vortex of impending doom
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_queen3 View Post
Aww, you're welcome. I've added Minusle to Leaf Green, now I need to try and plonk it Sapphire for added realism. :D
What do you mean '...plonk it Sapphire...'
__________________
Join the Suro revolution |Win the war of Majasuroshia| Fight the Oppressors
Reply With Quote
  #54    
Old July 6th, 2009 (03:18 AM).
sky_queen3's Avatar
sky_queen3
Minusle Fangirl. ;)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpravetz View Post
What do you mean '...plonk it Sapphire...'
Put Minusle in Sapphire version. *Casue Plusle and Minun are Hoenn native Pokemon and FR/LG is Kanto region.* :D
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55    
Old July 6th, 2009 (04:05 AM).
tpravetz
... doesn't exist.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a swirling vortex of impending doom
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_queen3 View Post
Put Minusle in Sapphire version. *Casue Plusle and Minun are Hoenn native Pokemon and FR/LG is Kanto region.* :D
Ah. See, I don't know the regions... I just go with whatever I'm given...
__________________
Join the Suro revolution |Win the war of Majasuroshia| Fight the Oppressors
Reply With Quote
  #56    
Old July 6th, 2009 (04:15 AM).
sky_queen3's Avatar
sky_queen3
Minusle Fangirl. ;)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpravetz View Post
Ah. See, I don't know the regions... I just go with whatever I'm given...
That's cool. One question those, any idea how to change the little pokemon icons that are in your party?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57    
Old July 6th, 2009 (04:32 AM).
tpravetz
... doesn't exist.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a swirling vortex of impending doom
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_queen3 View Post
That's cool. One question those, any idea how to change the little pokemon icons that are in your party?
Well, in fact I do! You need to download IconEd. You can get it from WAH I think. Then load your ROM, go to which ever slot you put your Pokemon in, and edit.
__________________
Join the Suro revolution |Win the war of Majasuroshia| Fight the Oppressors
Reply With Quote
  #58    
Old July 6th, 2009 (04:47 AM).
sky_queen3's Avatar
sky_queen3
Minusle Fangirl. ;)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpravetz View Post
Well, in fact I do! You need to download IconEd. You can get it from WAH I think. Then load your ROM, go to which ever slot you put your Pokemon in, and edit.
Ah, I might already have that. :D Nice.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59    
Old July 6th, 2009 (07:25 AM).
Late's Avatar
Late
Pokémon Artist
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: "We all live in a Pokémon World!"
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
So, I can get it work. My Turtwig is in Route 1 as it should be but my menu text is messed up. When I push start lower bar is messed up it doesn't matter much but how can I fix it?
__________________

Please feed my Pokémon and warm my eggs.
Thanks for everyone who have clicked these, you've helped me a lot

Anyone has Club Nintendo codes that you don't need? I want those.
If you have one code for me I can trade you my Explorers of Sky code as I can't put it because I have registered already one. (Registered my brother's game and now I can't register mine...) Someone have same thing? PM me.
I know there's nobody who wishes to do this xD
I'm talking about Club Nintendo of Europe.
Reply With Quote
  #60    
Old July 6th, 2009 (07:36 AM).
tpravetz
... doesn't exist.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a swirling vortex of impending doom
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
That, I don't know. That happens to me as well.. In every hack I can remember, the start menu gets mucked up... I think that is just a hacking side effect...
__________________
Join the Suro revolution |Win the war of Majasuroshia| Fight the Oppressors
Reply With Quote
  #61    
Old July 8th, 2009 (03:56 AM).
bradiz13's Avatar
bradiz13
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Australia, Victoria
Age: 22
Gender:
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bradiz13
Nice tut. I will test it once my hack goes into the fursther stages.
__________________



CLICK ME I KNOW YOU WANT TO!!

Spoiler:



Reply With Quote
  #62    
Old July 8th, 2009 (10:40 AM).
CarrieFan
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
this is a GREAT tutorial! very clear! i just had two problems witht he programs and i was wondering if you knew what to do about them.

first, when i try to open Poke Edit Pro, this message comes up:
"Component 'comdlg32.ocz' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"
i really don't knwo what that means, i was hoping you could help with that.

also, when i try importing my sprite onto unZL, it says it isnt indexed :s. have no clue what its talking about. if you could help me out id REALLY appreaciate it :D. thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #63    
Old July 8th, 2009 (10:46 AM).
tpravetz
... doesn't exist.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a swirling vortex of impending doom
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieFan View Post
this is a GREAT tutorial! very clear! i just had two problems witht he programs and i was wondering if you knew what to do about them.

first, when i try to open Poke Edit Pro, this message comes up:
"Component 'comdlg32.ocz' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"
i really don't knwo what that means, i was hoping you could help with that.

also, when i try importing my sprite onto unZL, it says it isnt indexed :s. have no clue what its talking about. if you could help me out id REALLY appreaciate it :D. thanks.
I'm glad you find this tutorial useful!

With the first error, I don't know what is wrong. I'd try to find a different place to download it...

And when you save your picture with InfranVeiw, does it ask you to choose the transparent colour? Because you don't want to. Deselect the button that says "Save transparent colour" in the little window that say "PNG/PNM/ICO save options."

Tell me if this is the problem. If not, I'll look into it.
__________________
Join the Suro revolution |Win the war of Majasuroshia| Fight the Oppressors
Reply With Quote
  #64    
Old July 8th, 2009 (01:14 PM).
CarrieFan
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Yeah i figured out the second problem:p. i was just being stupid, it was so obvioud.

but the Poke Edit Pro still ain't working. i also tried YAPE and tried getting it from several different websites but i still always get the same message:s. anyways, if you dont know thats fine, thanks anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #65    
Old July 9th, 2009 (02:29 AM).
-DarK-
Hold Your Colour
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieFan View Post
this is a GREAT tutorial! very clear! i just had two problems witht he programs and i was wondering if you knew what to do about them.

first, when i try to open Poke Edit Pro, this message comes up:
"Component 'comdlg32.ocz' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"
i really don't knwo what that means, i was hoping you could help with that.

also, when i try importing my sprite onto unZL, it says it isnt indexed :s. have no clue what its talking about. if you could help me out id REALLY appreaciate it :D. thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieFan View Post
Yeah i figured out the second problem:p. i was just being stupid, it was so obvioud.

but the Poke Edit Pro still ain't working. i also tried YAPE and tried getting it from several different websites but i still always get the same message:s. anyways, if you dont know thats fine, thanks anyways.
The answer to the first problem is simple: You don't have 'comdlg32.ocz'. Search the net and download it if you find it. I'm not sure where you must place it though, you might wanna search for that too. Google is your best friend.
Reply With Quote
  #66    
Old July 9th, 2009 (10:44 PM).
tpravetz
... doesn't exist.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a swirling vortex of impending doom
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DarK- View Post
The answer to the first problem is simple: You don't have 'comdlg32.ocz'. Search the net and download it if you find it. I'm not sure where you must place it though, you might wanna search for that too. Google is your best friend.
I'm not sure, but it seems to me like it should be placed in the 'sytem 32' file... But I'm not sure. Better look it up, because 'system 32' is one you really want to mess with...
__________________
Join the Suro revolution |Win the war of Majasuroshia| Fight the Oppressors
Reply With Quote
  #67    
Old July 11th, 2009 (05:10 PM). Edited July 11th, 2009 by saison.
saison's Avatar
saison
Black Knight of Dusk
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: I'm there.
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Hm, this seems to be a very well put together tutorial and it seems that it should work fine, but I guess I just have that bad luck >.>

I'm replacing Bulbasaur with Turtwig and I followed all of your steps, but when I go to choose him as one of my starter Pokemon... I'd show with Imageshack, but it's getting all weird on me right now : (

Anyways, that's what it looks like. Any idea why?
l l
--
\/
Attached Images
File Type: png Turtwig Messup.PNG‎ (346.6 KB, 60 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Reply With Quote
  #68    
Old July 11th, 2009 (10:18 PM).
Late's Avatar
Late
Pokémon Artist
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: "We all live in a Pokémon World!"
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
I had same problem about 4 days ago. My Turtwig messed up because I first made it and imported it into the game but I didn't like it so I fixed it a little and imported it again and it was messed up and it messed my game... So I just took a new rom to hack and I imported it only once and it works.

I have already Turtwig and Grotle, I messed up with Torterra (first it got black Torterra, then I tried to fix it and my game was messed up again). So, I'm going to put Torterra to my game (again..).
__________________

Please feed my Pokémon and warm my eggs.
Thanks for everyone who have clicked these, you've helped me a lot

Anyone has Club Nintendo codes that you don't need? I want those.
If you have one code for me I can trade you my Explorers of Sky code as I can't put it because I have registered already one. (Registered my brother's game and now I can't register mine...) Someone have same thing? PM me.
I know there's nobody who wishes to do this xD
I'm talking about Club Nintendo of Europe.
Reply With Quote
  #69    
Old July 12th, 2009 (01:14 AM).
-DarK-
Hold Your Colour
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
Quote:
Originally Posted by saison View Post
Hm, this seems to be a very well put together tutorial and it seems that it should work fine, but I guess I just have that bad luck >.>

I'm replacing Bulbasaur with Turtwig and I followed all of your steps, but when I go to choose him as one of my starter Pokemon... I'd show with Imageshack, but it's getting all weird on me right now : (

Anyways, that's what it looks like. Any idea why?
l l
--
\/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late View Post
I had same problem about 4 days ago. My Turtwig messed up because I first made it and imported it into the game but I didn't like it so I fixed it a little and imported it again and it was messed up and it messed my game... So I just took a new rom to hack and I imported it only once and it works.

I have already Turtwig and Grotle, I messed up with Torterra (first it got black Torterra, then I tried to fix it and my game was messed up again). So, I'm going to put Torterra to my game (again..).
The sprites you are trying to import could be too big. Import the new sprite somewhere where you have free space (i.e. 0x800000 or above), and use Poke Edit Pro to change the offset to that one.
Reply With Quote
  #70    
Old July 12th, 2009 (03:05 AM).
0m3GA ARS3NAL's Avatar
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...
Community Supporter Tier 1
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Superjail Penitentiary
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpravetz View Post
I'm not sure, but it seems to me like it should be placed in the 'sytem 32' file... But I'm not sure. Better look it up, because 'system 32' is one you really want to mess with...
Yes, any files you get, error files at best, can be placed in either System32, OR the folder where the program is.
__________________
>Boot Jailbot
>Pass *****
.
.
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Age: 18
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Reply With Quote
  #71    
Old July 12th, 2009 (11:46 AM). Edited July 12th, 2009 by saison.
saison's Avatar
saison
Black Knight of Dusk
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: I'm there.
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DarK- View Post
The sprites you are trying to import could be too big. Import the new sprite somewhere where you have free space (i.e. 0x800000 or above), and use Poke Edit Pro to change the offset to that one.
Okay, so should I check the ROM with a hex editor to look for free space? Because I don't exactly understand how the FSF is supposed to find free space, or if it even DOES find it.

Edit: Okay, I found out that the free space starts at 00734820.
__________________
~It wasn't fate. Just the turn of a card.~
~Pokemon White FC: 0948-1520-8911~
Reply With Quote
  #72    
Old July 12th, 2009 (06:37 PM).
0m3GA ARS3NAL's Avatar
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...
Community Supporter Tier 1
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Superjail Penitentiary
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by saison View Post
Okay, so should I check the ROM with a hex editor to look for free space? Because I don't exactly understand how the FSF is supposed to find free space, or if it even DOES find it.

Edit: Okay, I found out that the free space starts at 00734820.
Yes, that is free space...
But just to clarify, FSF DOES find free space.
You just gotta tell it to find a large amount to find a good dynamic offset...
In any case, that offset should be free, but just to be sure, why not start at 0x740000.
I usually say start at 0x800000, since it is the absolute safest spot to start but this shouldn't change much...
__________________
>Boot Jailbot
>Pass *****
.
.
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Age: 18
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Reply With Quote
  #73    
Old July 12th, 2009 (06:53 PM).
saison's Avatar
saison
Black Knight of Dusk
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: I'm there.
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Okay, to be COMPLETELY safe. How far away from the first completely empty offset would I have to go to not accidentally overwrite the image's space that I will be importing?

I understand that one block of space is for the image, and the other is for it's palette, so as an estimate, how far from one offset would I have to go to be completely sure that the next offset I will use is going to be empty?

If it helps, the size of the image I'm using is 604kb.
__________________
~It wasn't fate. Just the turn of a card.~
~Pokemon White FC: 0948-1520-8911~
Reply With Quote
  #74    
Old July 12th, 2009 (07:11 PM).
0m3GA ARS3NAL's Avatar
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...
Community Supporter Tier 1
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Superjail Penitentiary
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by saison View Post
Okay, to be COMPLETELY safe. How far away from the first completely empty offset would I have to go to not accidentally overwrite the image's space that I will be importing?

I understand that one block of space is for the image, and the other is for it's palette, so as an estimate, how far from one offset would I have to go to be completely sure that the next offset I will use is going to be empty?

If it helps, the size of the image I'm using is 604kb.
Well, try inserting where I told you, but make a backup first, then go in, check if it was inserted or not, find the end of it, and you'll know.
__________________
>Boot Jailbot
>Pass *****
.
.
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Age: 18
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Reply With Quote
  #75    
Old July 13th, 2009 (08:13 PM).
DarKnighT_0_9's Avatar
DarKnighT_0_9
Togepi
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Olivine City, Johto
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Thanks alot this really helped me. I have one question though. Everything worked great except in game the background color is still there and nothing i do makes it go away. i did everything exectly how you said to but the background color won't go away. If you know how to fix this please help. Thank you in advance. If someone has already asked this I didn't see, and plus I'm new here.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 12:20 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.