The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
JerisEnigma1337
Rocket Recruited Trainer

Advertise here
Okay, I have one MAJOR error... Still!
I followed all the steps exactly in Emerald and put my new mon in the slot after Celebi AKA 252.
THAT sprite is normally 2 questions marks... And when I add the new monster, my sprite doesn't show up, just the ??'s!
It added the sprite in properly and everything works ie no glitches, corruption or lag etc... My sprites just aren't appearing! And yes, I did do the PokeEdit step to change the offset to mine T_T
Any suggestions??? I think I'm having the same error as willj016 was, but no luck correcting it...

---
Supporter of:

Old November 12th, 2009, 02:20 PM
mubi9
Beginning Trainer

I cant click on define custom colour. HELP!
Old November 17th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Loveless Angel
Beginning Trainer

Hey um i tried this on my ruby i made a sprite of sora from kingdom hearts CoM and i replaced torchic for it and when i was selecting my starter i clicked torchic and the colors on the screen inverted and froze

What happened i did it like you said

And then i tried it on fire red same sprite but on charezard this time and this time i start the game but when i leave my house the music skips and the game crashes

Last edited by Loveless Angel; November 17th, 2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Mr. Frog
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Quirky
It sounds like you've used an image that's too big (dimensions, like length and with)
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:24 PM
triplexh18
call me Oscizor

Nature: Calm
Can i have some help with this i'm trying to put Lopunny in my Emerald

I did all the steps this tutorial said and i used the slot after Celebi

I decreased the image size to 64x64 i did everything but once i tried encountering it the game froze before it even showed the sprite

so far i only did the front sprite i have added no animations or any other sprites just the front

i didn't add any other pokemon as this is my first attempt so far and it has also corrupted my Emerald save(thank goodness for back ups)

can someone help me with this because Lopunny(probably Garchomp too) is the only Pokemon i plan on adding to the game
Old November 21st, 2009, 11:52 AM
jjboy22
Beginning Trainer

im sorry but this really confused me
Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:10 PM
rokrdude
POKEMON : SINNOH QUEST CREATOR

Thanks for the tutorial but

Is there any easy way to edit pokemon icons other than using iconed ?
I have been able to change sprites but no luck with icons!!!

Can anyone provide a link to guide or video how to change icons??
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:51 PM
locoroco
Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to locoroco
i put the sprite and everything but when it appears the pokemon is in a box of a different color to the back ground i need help
Old December 6th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokrdude View Post
Thanks for the tutorial but

Is there any easy way to edit pokemon icons other than using iconed ?
I have been able to change sprites but no luck with icons!!!

Can anyone provide a link to guide or video how to change icons??
Check the link in my sig :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoroco View Post
i put the sprite and everything but when it appears the pokemon is in a box of a different color to the back ground i need help
The transparent colour must be the first colour in the palette. So if the Pokémon has a pink background, the first colour in the palette must be pink.

The tutorial is a bit outdated with Advanced Series out, though. tpravetz, if you're still maintaining this, you should probably add a section on using A-Series rather than IconED and UnLZ-GBA.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:24 AM
lavenderbolt
Trainer

Send a message via Yahoo to lavenderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplexh18 View Post
Can i have some help with this i'm trying to put Lopunny in my Emerald

I did all the steps this tutorial said and i used the slot after Celebi

I decreased the image size to 64x64 i did everything but once i tried encountering it the game froze before it even showed the sprite

so far i only did the front sprite i have added no animations or any other sprites just the front

i didn't add any other pokemon as this is my first attempt so far and it has also corrupted my Emerald save(thank goodness for back ups)

can someone help me with this because Lopunny(probably Garchomp too) is the only Pokemon i plan on adding to the game
no, sorry about this, but if you want to add any new pokemon to emerald, you will need 64x128 image, 2 frames of one pokemon since emerald has animation
like this: http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/x...rontsprite.png

Last edited by lavenderbolt; January 2nd, 2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 05:06 PM
Toxicroak
Mustard

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Toxicroak
When i import my sprite it says its not indexed : /

- Serperior - Giovanni - Bluno - The Fist - Don - Turok -
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:13 PM
lavenderbolt
Trainer

Send a message via Yahoo to lavenderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicroak View Post
When i import my sprite it says its not indexed : /
so index it, use infanview, follow steps that the author of this thread has guided
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
Or use Advanced Pokémon Sprite Editor instead. It's faster and easier to use than unLZ-GBA (and doesn't require indexed sprites).
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:05 AM
qwertyuiop1234567890
Hacker

Nature: Quiet
I had an issue... I tried to replace Bulbasaur with a pokemon, if I chose that one as my starter from oak's table, all the people sprites dissapear and the game freezes. If I choose squirtle and rival gets 'bulbasaur' this happens:

anybody know how in the world I did this? (or how to fix it?)
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:16 PM
Hacker225
Beginning Trainer

Poke Edit Pro won't work for me. When i try to open it it says Component 'comdlg32.ocx' or one of it's dependacies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:08 PM
passededge
Beginning Trainer

I followed the steps exactly as they were, but when I try to write it to the rom it says the image isn't indexed. At that point I can open it in infranview and decrease the color again to 16 (this would be the second time). at that point I can import and write it, but then in the game the image is messed up..help..?
Old January 23rd, 2010, 07:05 AM
Costar
Beginning Trainer

This tutorial is great, thank you!
But I have a question: How do you change a Pokemon icon? You know, those in the Pokemon team screen. I can edit Pokemon main image and backsprite just fine, but I don't know how to edit the icon. Is the method similar? As in, have to search for the icon in Unlzgba and edit it?
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Toxicroak
Mustard

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Toxicroak
When i look at my pokemon's sprite in the game it crashes?

- Serperior - Giovanni - Bluno - The Fist - Don - Turok -
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
@Toxicroak, look up at Wichu's signature, and follow the link to his tool thread, they are the best for hacking sprites and Icons.
I've got a theory, and if I'm honest I haven't read through the thread, so if this has been said/mentioned already just let me know (politely, thank you ). Those 25 "empty" slots surely have something to do with the Unown? That'd be why they have its cry? Could.. Gah, I had a whole elaboration planned out in my head, but it's gone essentially what I'm asking is, could they have something to do with the Unown? I'm hacking Emerald, and I would like to know from other people who have successfully inserted Pokemon over the "empty" slots in Emerald? Has it been tested- ie, open up a map, set the Wild Pokemon to a Unown and one of the newly inserted Pokemon, and see if multiple Unown forms still appear? [/babble]

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old May 13th, 2010, 12:23 AM
joostd66
Beginning Trainer

When I try to Import my image it says 'Error: Image Not Indexed' what can I do about it?:\
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:12 PM
FireFox
Dialga Fangirl

Nature: Timid
Send a message via AIM to FireFox Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FireFox Send a message via Yahoo to FireFox
This guide goes well, until I get to steps 8 and 9.

I copy the old sprite over to the Irfanview one and when I save, it un-indexes. Why is this happening? :/
Old September 15th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to Haz
Best tutorial ever! Thanks, you made my day with this :D

Fanfiction.net: Ha-Za-A

Credits to Galukxy for this awesome banner
Old September 20th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Bela
Pokémon Rose Creator
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by giradialkia View Post
@Toxicroak, look up at Wichu's signature, and follow the link to his tool thread, they are the best for hacking sprites and Icons.
I've got a theory, and if I'm honest I haven't read through the thread, so if this has been said/mentioned already just let me know (politely, thank you ). Those 25 "empty" slots surely have something to do with the Unown? That'd be why they have its cry? Could.. Gah, I had a whole elaboration planned out in my head, but it's gone essentially what I'm asking is, could they have something to do with the Unown? I'm hacking Emerald, and I would like to know from other people who have successfully inserted Pokemon over the "empty" slots in Emerald? Has it been tested- ie, open up a map, set the Wild Pokemon to a Unown and one of the newly inserted Pokemon, and see if multiple Unown forms still appear? [/babble]
This has been bothering me for some time as well. However, considering there's 28 different Unown forms, it wouldn't seem that it would be the case. Somebody should look into this!

And secondly, the issue of cries themselves. I too have had the issue of inserting cries into Fire Red to no avail--I want to know if somebody has successfully inserted cries into their English Fire Red, specifically by changing the pointer for one of the ? Pokemon between Celebi and Treecko. Has anyone been able to do that? If so I would love to hear from you =)

Last edited by Bela; February 24th, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old September 29th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Mark975
AllStar Spriter

Nature: Brave
i dont get the pallete part please help me everything works but my sprite turns black.
Old October 24th, 2010, 06:25 PM
6ryan4
"Watch the power of aura!!!"

Nature: Quirky
This tutorial allowed me to import Lucario into the game successfully. I added the front and back sprites perfectly on my first try. My only question is: how do I import an icon seen in the PC and the current party menu?

Edit: Actually, I didn't do it perfectly. I wanted to fill up one of the "?" slots after Celebi, so I picked a random Pokemon sprite like you said to and did the Import and Write to ROM process; however, I ended up changing the image and palette of that random Pokemon sprite. HALP!!!

Last edited by 6ryan4; October 24th, 2010 at 06:55 PM.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here