The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 24th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Mark975
AllStar Spriter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ryan4 View Post
This tutorial allowed me to import Lucario into the game successfully. I added the front and back sprites perfectly on my first try. My only question is: how do I import an icon seen in the PC and the current party menu?

Edit: Actually, I didn't do it perfectly. I wanted to fill up one of the "?" slots after Celebi, so I picked a random Pokemon sprite like you said to and did the Import and Write to ROM process; however, I ended up changing the image and palette of that random Pokemon sprite. HALP!!!
Can you tell me what number you did to add the palette cause mine stuffs up
Old October 25th, 2010, 03:48 PM
6ryan4
"Watch the power of aura!!!"

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark975 View Post
Can you tell me what number you did to add the palette cause mine stuffs up
Following the directions exactly will guarantee your success with the palette and image. It's really not that hard at all. However, there is the issue of a Pokemon sprite being altered that I talked about.
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Mark975
AllStar Spriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ryan4 View Post
Following the directions exactly will guarantee your success with the palette and image. It's really not that hard at all. However, there is the issue of a Pokemon sprite being altered that I talked about.
I did everything like putting the number as 64 in FSF for the palette but it doesnt work
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:11 AM
Twiddle
Stepping on the cracks

Nature: Naive
Seriously, thanks dude. It works to any image that i want to put in an hack.
Old December 16th, 2010, 09:51 AM
BlackCrow
Beginning Trainer

I followed the steps, but when I go into UNLZ and try to import the sprite, It says "Sprite is not indexed". Whats wrong?
Old December 19th, 2010, 07:56 AM
NInjaboyX
Ninja boy Marcus

Nature: Bold
I tried to put my new pokemon as a starter i put the pokemon in the ???????
right after celebi but it just froze...
does that mean that you can't put the new pokemon as starters?

Click here to level up my card!
Old December 19th, 2010, 10:47 PM
sicon3
Beginning Trainer

Thanks for the tutorial it really helped.
Old December 20th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Mark975
AllStar Spriter

Please help the palette doesnt work for me
Old December 25th, 2010, 05:52 AM
ScripterGold
A rookie Scripter

Nature: Modest
-Dark-
You were actually wrong, the first ???????? before bulbasaur is a placeholder error buffer glitch handler sort of thing of some importance, I heard on bulbapedia. So, bang goes your theory, -DARK-. :afro:
Old December 28th, 2010, 10:22 PM
toastier
da bomb. :)

Nature: Jolly
does this perhaps work with editing trainer's sprites? like if i wanted to change a bug catcher to look like misty, could i use the same/similar method? i know this doesn't have a whole lot to do with the tutorial, but i need help on changing trainer sprites, and this was the closest thing i could find. it looks like it would work...

Old December 30th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Rayce
Nooo0000OOB

Nature: Impish
Sorry if I'm saying something that no one else is having trouble with but when I go to download the 2nd and 3rd links I can't get them, Do you guys think that's just m computer or is something going on in that link?
Also is there any alternate programs I would be able to use the same way
Old January 12th, 2011, 04:37 PM
adamb241
Pokémon Raging Fury

I'm having similar issues that others are having. I followed all the steps perfectly (apparently not though), but when I try to insert my sprite into Un-LZ it says the sprits aren't indexed. I can insert the picture with out the infrared swap (background swapped). I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be helpful.

\-Pokémon Raging Fury-/
+A new project from Dark Steel Productions+
Old January 13th, 2011, 12:57 PM
ShaQuL
ShaQuL

Nature: Quiet
Thanks! Helped me alot! Really easy to follow too!
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:31 AM
tpravetz
... doesn't exist.

Nature: Careful
I honestly can't believe people are still reading this..

As for all the 'q's, I have no idea. I know nothing about this type of things. I just figured out a way to get it to work for me, but have no idea /why/ it works... Sorry. X_X
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:37 AM
ryan301192
Beginning Trainer

Hi, i followed your tutorial and everything seemed to work fine but when i go to the rom an try and view my new pokemon sprites i made the colours are distorted and the background colour is still the same ie i chose a light neon green like you but in the rom that is still there.
Where have i gone wrong and what do i need to do. Thanks
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:26 PM
phoenix897
Beginning Trainer

Thanks so much for the tute, but in YAPE, i can't make the new pokemon evolve into another new pokemon...plz help??
Fave Pokémons: Tyranitar + Scizor
Old March 18th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Complans
Trainer

Nature: Relaxed
I tried it in Ruby, and it restarts the ROM every time I 'see' the Pokemon.

And in FireRed, when I see it, the game makes a weird sound and freezes..
Old April 9th, 2011, 07:09 PM
ziprider255
Master of All Time and Space

Nature: Calm
For some reason, YAPE won't let me edit the Pokedex entry of a new Pokemon I'm trying to add in on a blank space. How do I fix this?
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Janj

My MEWTHREE is messed up, I replaced QWILFISH's data.
Also in unLZ.gba, I replaced sprite 00 with MEWTHREE's sprite, is that the problem?
oi56.tinypic.com/2cx6rdh.jpg
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:52 AM
sazandora11
Beginning Trainer

Mine doesn't work... It just freezes with a blank box! Any suggestions?
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
@ above - OKAY.
@sazandora11 - Reread the tutorial. (:
@janj - yes, that is a problem.
@ziprider - Repoint the text. But honestly, it's kind of pointless b/c the pokedex doesn't work for new pokemon ATM.
@complans - you're doing it wrong.
That's as far up as I'm willing to look. X)

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old June 21st, 2011, 09:58 AM
EdensElite
No0b, but getting there.

Nature: Bold
How do you edit the over world sprite for it, like when its in the Pokemon menu? and these are usually animated so do you need a gif or separate frames? Some please help :L
Old November 24th, 2011, 02:51 PM
ShadowGrey
Graphix Master

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix897 View Post
Thanks so much for the tute, but in YAPE, i can't make the new pokemon evolve into another new pokemon...plz help??
Are you following the directions? Simple question I know but it's often the cause for peoples mishaps, misreading or missing a small part of the tutorial. Open your rom and selct the pokemon you want to evolve, next head straight to other stats / evolutions, click the box on the right called 'add', next simply click the drop down list to select the pokemon you want it to evolve into. then you have to select evolution type, here is where most people go wrong, as the default is breeding and so your pokemon will not evolve unless you change this, there are many options, stone, level etc. im guessing its level you want, next just change the level at which you want the evolution to take place. I suggest a low level to begin with to test whether the evolution works (which it should if youve follwed all the directions) then simply changed it to the desired level later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdensElite View Post
How do you edit the over world sprite for it, like when its in the Pokemon menu? and these are usually animated so do you need a gif or separate frames? Some please help :L
You have 2 options when editing a pokemons mini sprite, for a long time all you could use was pokepic, which is a useful tool in itself, however the program wasnt designed for firered etc.
What i would recomend now is Wichu's advance series kit, it provides three tools that let you edit a pokemons sprite really easily, its position on the screen and its mini sprite, the tools can be found under, emulation, toolbox, advance series. however your rom must be a US base for these tools to work as ini do not exhist for other countries, i believe there may be a german ini but what use is that?

IMPORTANT - WHY IS YOUR IMAGE NOT INDEXED?
So many people, especially recently have been asking why, when they follow the steps perfectly, their image is not indexed when they attempt to import it into unLZ. This is because you have a later version of the program paint that does not work with this method. This is because the Paint program that came with windows XP and the like will keep an images palette the same as whatever was opened in it, no matter how you edit the image. However, later versions (In an attempt to be more useful) Do not have this feature, as it is seen as a draw back that will limit your colour choosing capabilities, so, when you copy your first image back over the indexed image, you are essentially leaving yourself with a perfect replica of what you began with, ie, not an indexed image. The only way that I see to remedy this, is to download and install an earlier version of Paint. Though there may be other ways, I have not found them yet.

- The other, and probably more simple option is to reverse the background and the black colours manually using the left/right click rubber and pipette method, before inserting them into Irfan View, this way way you swap these colours they will change to be the correct way round and you will not have to open the file in paint after, remember though to not select the background colour as transparent, doing so prevents this method from working. The only slight problem with this technique is that your sprite may have one or two small imperfections. To avoid this load your sprite into Irfan View, decrease colour depth, then open in paint, address any imperfections with colours chosen from the image, then continue with swapping the colours etc. Hope this helps.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=267674

Last edited by ShadowGrey; November 24th, 2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:26 PM
ShadowSpriter
KCAT HAX Spriter!

Nature: Naughty
hey everyone! please please please could you help me?? im the one who does all the sprites and stuff for pokemon shadow grey but we cant get unlzgba to work, we can put in the palette and everything, and the pictures we use are properly indexed. we looked at loads of tutorials but none of them have an answer, we can do all the stuff with fsf and offsets but when we put in the sprite and click write to rom it doesnt stay on the rom and doesnt tell me why.
please help! thanx x

Old November 30th, 2011, 04:26 PM
EpicPie998
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Docile
Why doesnt the FSF link work for me?
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links