The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Technology & Internet

Notices

Technology & Internet The place to go for all things tech and internet. Share a funny YouTube video or meme, discover the latest useful apps, or just get some free tech support.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 27th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Amachi
(。・ω・)ノ゙ Hello, I am Amachi-chan~♪

Nature: Jolly
http://encarta.msn.com/guide_page_FAQ/FAQ.html
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...-this-year.ars

Microsoft is killing Encarta. It makes me sad. Encarta was a true friend back in the day, always supporting me during those long nights before an assignment was due, back before I had the internet. I learnt so much from it as well. Even MindMaze was a blast.

So many good times were had with Encarta. Now they'll never happen again.

Goodnight, sweet prince. I'll always love you.
Old June 27th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Bejesus
Trainer

Aww, i too remember the days of Encarta. True it has been made totally obsolete by the internet and in the last 5 years or so Wikipedia definitely. Wikipedia is grand and all but it really is just a mammoth wall of text, with pictures and sound clips thrown in which is all very well, and probably the best you can get due to it's nature as a wiki. I literaly have hardly touched Encarta in over 5 years but i can still imagine how visualy appealing it would be to read, with proper movie clips and all proffessional etc, just like a good textbook.

Totally inevatable, shame things couldn't be different.

my wifi code - 0473 5122 7791
Old June 27th, 2009, 03:03 PM
mewthree w/armor
The Stig - PC Site Admin

Nature: Hardy
Send a message via AIM to mewthree w/armor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mewthree w/armor
Good product, will miss it, though I have not used it in years. Very good resource in its day.

------------------
I came here as a and will always be one.
------------------
PC Family | Pair of Angela | Twin of Sammi | Chi Cousin of Midori Chi
------------------
Seafoam Island - PC Community Site - Pokemon International Forums - Seafoam Island Forums
Seafoam Island Oekaki - Seafoam Island Topsites - Join ShiningMisdreavus Chat!
Old June 28th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Archer
a.k.a: ethan.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
I last used the '06 edition. It was a great resource, especially considering I used to have limited net access.

Fun fact: a lot of schools and universities won't let you use Wikipedia.
Old June 28th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amachi View Post
http://encarta.msn.com/guide_page_FAQ/FAQ.html
http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...-this-year.ars

Microsoft is killing Encarta. It makes me sad. Encarta was a true friend back in the day, always supporting me during those long nights before an assignment was due, back before I had the internet. I learnt so much from it as well. Even MindMaze was a blast.
Aren't there, like, offline versions for that classic enjoyment? :(

I dunno, I always liked the whole idea of paper encyclopedias, though Encarta was useful especially with its Microsoft Word integration.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old June 28th, 2009, 07:49 AM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
I last used the '06 edition. It was a great resource, especially considering I used to have limited net access.

Fun fact: a lot of schools and universities won't let you use Wikipedia.
Good Wikipedia articles cite most all of their claims. You can just use the pages they cite for the most part. That's how I got around it in high school.

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Cherrim
the blossom pokémon

Nature: Relaxed
;_______; RIP ENCARTA. YOU GOT ME THROUGH SO MANY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PROJECTS. I will never forget you. (Okay I probably will but whenever I remember you I will wibble and miss you.)

But yeah, Encarta was my lifeline as a kid. I was too lazy to start projects early and take out library books and whatnot so I used Encarta 95 or something. It was such a godsend. I also adored the game that came with it (Mindmaze, I guess, though I'd never remember the name on my own XD) to the point where I memorized almost every possible question in it. I loved Encarta.

Too bad by high school, Google was so easy to use and then Wiki came along. :( Weren't allowed to use Wiki as a source but twocows has the right idea.

previously known as lightning.
tumblrtwitter

Old June 29th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Epsikon Sato
EARTH★BOUND

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via AIM to Epsikon Sato
Aw, come on! Encarta always helped me with my homework!
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Netto Azure
<<38th Generation Leaf Knight>>

Nature: Gentle
I remember using it back in '03

I actually had fun with the Globe and Map system before Google Earth came. XD

“Sun, are you really all right? Does it hurt? Do you need help? Are you sure?”

Old June 29th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Cassino
A TPC classic.

I've... never heard of this. Was it only marketed in the US?
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Gumball Watterson
"79% of stair accidents happen on stairs."
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
What the foo is encarta?

Aww... sounded nice :(. I could sure have had good use for it in this fiery hell time of school.
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:46 PM
twocows
Pretentious Intellectual Jerk
Community Supporter

Anyone complaining about how some places won't take Wikipedia may want to check out any of the list of online encyclopedias found, ironically, on Wikipedia. Hutchinson Encyclopedia looked the most promising, but it only has around 75 thousand articles.

In other news, I hated Encarta. I don't remember why, I just remember I hated it. I even used hard encyclopedias over it. Then came Wikipedia and my love affair with it. <3

PM me if you have computer troubles. I work in IT for a living and can probably solve your problems. My rate is $expensive/hr, but I'm still cheaper than Creep Squad and, unlike them, will actually get the job done or let you know if I can't.

Quote:
The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
- H. L. Mencken, unsourced

Quote:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."
- Isaac Asimov, Column in Newsweek (21 January 1980) [source]

NEW 40K MMOFPS YESSSSS
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Yuoaman
Legen- wait for it...
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
I've never used Encarta, never heard of it prior to about 83 seconds ago...

Suit Up!
Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

"pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

Haaave you read my LP?
Pokémon Quartz - The only one really worth reading.

What about my [Un]Abridged series?
Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter

83% of this signature is empty space.

-dary!
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links