Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central
Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 9th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Guy
just a guy

Send a message via Skype™ to Guy

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiKaNoRoU View Post

Hey. For a moment I thought it was a different pokemon. This is one of the major sprite changes (and I gotta say it's pretty good, too).
Whoa, Linoone looks really awesome with it's new sprite. I thought it looked great before, but seeing this, I think I want another one in Black and White. n_n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow-Sasuke View Post
I'm going to talk about Sceptile now.

R/S/E:

D/P/P and HG/SS:

B/W:

From R/S/E to B/W, this is the worst sprite update in history. The R/S/E Sceptile is my favourite. D/P/Pt/HG/SS doesn't appeal to me because I don't like the pose. B/W, what happened here?
I prefer DPPt's sprite of Sceptile the best. Like Syd, I think the RSE lacks the creativity and character that DPPt gave it. Going with the crowd, I also say B&W made Sceptile look too skinny. Except, I like its new vibrant color. It gives it a more fierce look.

On a side note, I was browsing Arcanine last night, and I forgot how awesome it's Yellow sprite was. :]

Old October 9th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Thorns
Trainer

Is it me, or does Poliwag's left eye look bug-eyed or something? Each time I see it in HeartGold, it just bugs me.
Old October 9th, 2010, 03:55 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude

When I look at Bellossom's B/W sprite, I can't help but think that it's rickrolling me (because of the movements of its hands).

Old October 10th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Heart's Soul
Hey, look, I was gone.

I wish I could replace HGSS's sprites with BW ones. On my retail game. *sigh*

Where'd you find the sprites?
"No calendar today. Oh, that's a shame. What day is it today? It is no day. The calendar does not exist anymore. Today does not exist." - Professional Idiot
Old October 11th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Reshiram Man
Resident Peacekeeper

Nature: Modest
I found my black and white sprites on PokeJungle
West, on a plane bound west
I see her stretching out below
Land, blessed mother land
The place where I was born

Scars, she’s got her scars
Sometimes it starts to worry me
Cause lose, I don’t want to lose
Sight of who we are

From the mountains high
To the wave-crashed coast
There’s a way to find
Better days I know

It’s been a long hard ride
Got a ways to go
This is still the place
That we all call home
Old October 13th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Rainbow-Sasuke
300 Posts be the 15th?

Nature: Relaxed
< This. A chubby happy man. What more do you want?

< I like the stance on this one. I also like the the head thingy!
Team Black:

Currently Playing: Soul Silver, Blue, Dragon Ball: Advance Adventure(<3)

Currently Reading: Goosebumps: Say Cheese and Die! Join!

Last edited by Rainbow-Sasuke; October 19th, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
Balalaika
*Kicks a Quilava*

I personally think that Gen II had some of the best sprites; who's with me?
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:58 PM
Heart's Soul
Hey, look, I was gone.

Some were good, some were not. I prefer BW over GSC, but that's just me.
"No calendar today. Oh, that's a shame. What day is it today? It is no day. The calendar does not exist anymore. Today does not exist." - Professional Idiot
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
NiKaNoRoU
Dedicated to Thrace

Here's a list of sprites on B/W that dissapointed me:

Spoiler:

Head fail.

Something makes me feel like this isn't a Crobat.

Bad palette choice.

PLEASE OH PLEASE WHY DIDN'T YOU CHANGE IT

Lol.

Also, is anyone with me on the verdict saying that "too much black outline makes the sprites look 2-D"?
Like this:

Your knight from the plane of light
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:57 PM
Mickeycricky
Mickeycricky

Nature: Gentle
Quote:

Spoiler:

Head fail.

Bad palette choice.

Lol.

Also, is anyone with me on the verdict saying that "too much black outline makes the sprites look 2-D"?
Like this:
OMG Crobat grew feet!?!

Yea I agree, the black outline make them look flat -__-
Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

anyone else noticed that mostly all Hoenn's sprites have been changed? inb4pokemonR/S/E remake.

I don't really understand why they switched to the Black and White sprites for Mudkip and it's evolutions.. ):

HG/SS -

BW -

They were pretty perfect in HG/SS. I probably don't like the Swampert one because of the palette choice.
pair: Sheep
【=◈︿◈=】
Old October 23rd, 2010, 04:02 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Send a message via Yahoo to PlatinumDude Send a message via Skype™ to PlatinumDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
anyone else noticed that mostly all Hoenn's sprites have been changed? inb4pokemonR/S/E remake.

I don't really understand why they switched to the Black and White sprites for Mudkip and it's evolutions.. ):

HG/SS -

BW -

They were pretty perfect in HG/SS. I probably don't like the Swampert one because of the palette choice.
Now that you said it, Swampert's colors are darker compared to the older sprites. Swampert's B/W sprite is also the first of Swampert's sprites to be on all fours.

Old October 24th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Amew
Red Mage

Send a message via Skype™ to Amew
When you look at it, it's kinda funny....

5th Gen Sprite for Nintales. Look familiar?

I do believe they based it on this. The...er...face avatar thing in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Consistency, perhaps?

Now with Wi-Fi!
The thing I'm second best at is Pokemon.
Old October 26th, 2010, 08:28 AM
560cool.
Probably back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amew View Post
When you look at it, it's kinda funny....

5th Gen Sprite for Nintales. Look familiar?

I do believe they based it on this. The...er...face avatar thing in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Consistency, perhaps?
This one kinda reminds me of the Exeggutor thing. It had the same sprites in both Yellow and Gold and the developers hardly even change his pose, and usually go back to old ones. Yeah, just lazy people at GF...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Now that you said it, Swampert's colors are darker compared to the older sprites. Swampert's B/W sprite is also the first of Swampert's sprites to be on all fours.
Actually, that's not on all four, he's just leaning in front. I think. I haven't seen him in game yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post

HG/SS -

BW -

Actually, they only pretty changed the lighting in the sprites to reflect the 3D and made Swampert lean. That's all.

Quote:

Spoiler:

Head fail.

Bad palette choice.

Lol.

Like this:
I totally agree.
And no, Muk looks 3D, mostly because of the lighting if the sprite. Take a look at his hand, see the color ?
And OMG, Crobat grew feet ! =_=
Well, okay. I'm here just to chat with people. Don't really care about signatures and stuff.

Old October 27th, 2010, 04:14 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 560cool. View Post
Actually, that's not on all four, he's just leaning in front. I think. I haven't seen him in game yet.
Really? It looks like it's on all fours to me.

Anyway, I find B/W's Salamence a huge improvement over the R/S/E and D/P/Pt Salamences:

B/W

R/S/E

D/P/Pt

Old October 28th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Yeah, I agree. I much prefe the colour scheme of Salamence in B/W. Also, I prefer the red wings to the orange ones, and the pose is good too!

Also, I guess they don't care/forgot about Gulpin, as I don't think it got a new sprite in B/W. :l

D/P/Pl/HG/SS:
B/W:

Pokémon Aureolin

Last edited by Superjub; October 28th, 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old October 30th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

I disagree about Swampert's HGSS sprite being better than BW. Its facial expression looks worried in HGSS and that bugged me. -_-

paired to crono
Old October 30th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

I really like Salamence's BW sprite. It looks more like the official artwork, which has a much better pose than the other sprites. I like the colouring too, it looks more like the Hg/Ss overworld Salamence, which is kickass...which is also more like sugimori's artwork.

The same goes for Swampert, as far as the pose goes...I mean, looking at its' previous sprites....is it honestly going to fire a Hydro Cannon whilst appearing to be sitting up, on two legs? It's not a Snorlax, ffs....But I think the colouring is fine.

I gotta admit, the ones where they stole the Gen IV sprites are pretty lazy....as is the fact that all of the previous 5 generation's pokemon have their Platinum pokedex entries too....but you gotta at least realise with Houndoom they chose the one with the best colouring.
Yes, Crobat and Sudowoodo do look really weird...

Also, I gotta say, I only really came on this thread to say something about Dragonite....although I only include Gen III/IV sprites, as I haven't played a Gen I/II game, and they look out of context on Bulbapedia.

RSE: Why the long, bent face? Looks like a horse viewed whilst drunk.....It also seems to look lazy...

FrLg: Better face...my second favourite Dragonite sprite, but it still looks iffy....

DPPt: What is with that pose? It doesn't look lazy like Gen III, but it's a weird pose, it looks like it's about to kidnap me with those arms...but it's Dragonite, and it looks too friendly to wish me harm.

HgSs: Slight hint of RSE nose....but looking back, all the noses look slightly off. Colouring is slightly different, but good. I like the pose, too, it makes it look active, whilst showing off most of his features. I also like the slightly different feet. Good job really, when one of my longest battles in-game will involve fighting 3 of them..

BW: Haven't played the game yet....but it doesn't bode well.

I don't know if people are normally so fussy about their sprites....but I love Dragonite, and I just wish he looked better in these games...

Oh, and another Gen III pokemon to finish off my post:

I personally think this is really, really good, although none of Rayquaza's sprites are bad (luckily he's lost the Gen III blue tongue), this has a hint of his official artwork, but he's leaning forwards ready to hit you with a Hyper Voice or Dragon Pulse, and looks pretty amazingly bad-ass tbh
Old October 30th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

I like the DPPT Dragonite best. :) <3

Now, I wanna take this time to discuss one of my favorite Pokemon ever. :3

DP:

Oooo!

Plat/HGSS:

Oooo!

BW:

OOOO!

SO MUCH CHANGE. OH MY GOD. SO DIFFERENT. SO APPEALING. Even though it's a little Pokemon, there are plenty more poses they could have put the lil guy in. :|

I'm not going to bother posting other forms, lol.

paired to crono
Old October 30th, 2010, 02:31 PM
ManhattanTheStarr
eeeeyup

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
Really? It looks like it's on all fours to me.

Anyway, I find B/W's Salamence a huge improvement over the R/S/E and D/P/Pt Salamences:

B/W

R/S/E

D/P/Pt
Ewww! Sorry, but Salamence's R/S/E sprite was HIDEOUS. Its legs were so bulky, and its color palette wasn't any better... D:
Its B/W sprite is BEAUTIFUL, though. I love the dark red wings and other spots that were previously orange. :3

But has anyone else noticed how most of the Hoenn Pokemon's B/W sprites have very dull colors? I'm not saying that in a bad way, though. It makes them look WAY better. <3
Old October 30th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Rainbow-Sasuke
300 Posts be the 15th?

A list of unappealling B/W sprites:
Spoiler:
One word and one word only. Beak.
Nose. Nuff said.
The position of the arms is appauling!(I can't spell lol)
Same!
Again, the position of the arms sucks!
Team Black:

Currently Playing: Soul Silver, Blue, Dragon Ball: Advance Adventure(<3)

Currently Reading: Goosebumps: Say Cheese and Die! Join!
Old October 30th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Thorns
Trainer

Vileplume Sprite Discussion:

Red/Blue:
- Looks very flat since the flower seems overhead but Vileplume is looking straight in front of it. The flower also looks a lot skinnier than it should be. It's arms seem a bit too skinny and long, but the feet seem correct. Ad for a limited palette to work with, Vileplume's colors are grear, especially it's flower. The expression on it's face seems a little odd, with the huge smile.

3.5/10

Yellow:
- Pretty good for a sprite from the early games. The arms are a lot better than R/B, but now the feet seem a little too big. The position and size of the flower is also fixed so it fits on top of it's head and doesn't look incorrect. The limited palette also works great as the red still manages to keep Vileplume looking good, even though Vileplume is meant to be blue. The expression also looks a lot more normal.

5.5/10

Red/Green:
- ABSOLUTELY HIDEOUS. The only thing that this sprite has is it's color palette, but note that the R/B has the exact same colors. Not only are the arms annd legs way bigger than normal, the flower looks like it just got nibbled on, with all the petals in different shapes, plus it's once again in a very bad position on it's head, looking like it's in front of it's head rather than on top. It's smiles is too curved. Overall horrible.

1/10

Gold/Crystal:
- With a bigger palette to work with, Vileplume's colors are a major improvement. They used the two main colors, red and blue. The colors manage to compliment each other. The position of it seems like it's surfing, which looks very odd. The arms and legs are both correctly sized, though the position of the legs seem a little over spaced. The flower seems in correct position since it's leaning on it's side.

6/10

Silver:
- Same colors as G/C. The size of the arms and legs are also the same, only the legs are in better positioning. The fact that Vileplume is holding the flower on it's head is actually a plus since this backs up the fact that the flower is actually big and had hold to up, taken from it's R/B Pokedex. The exprression on it's head seems a little odd since the mouth is smaller than normal, in an oval-like shape.

6.5/10

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald:
- Now we finally move into the sprites with an unlimited palette. Sadly, the colors seems a little brighter than normal. The arms, legs and flower do look a lot more normal with them both in perfect sizing, thought the flower would look a lot better if it wasn't leaning so much in front. It also compliments Vileplume holding it's head flower like the Silver sprite since the Pokedex states the flower's heavy. And the fact that it's holding up one of it's feet adds more personality to it. It's expression is also normal looking.

8/10

FireRed/LeafGreen:
- Now with better colors, here's my favorite sprite for Vileplume. The colors are now darker and more natural for Vileplume. The flower actually looks great since it's a lot more on top of it's head instead of leaning. Though it is't holding the flower, you can just tell by looking at it that it's pretty heavy. The shading underneath the flower looks very realistic too. Overall great sprite.

9/10

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum:
- A very disappointing sprite. It seems like the sprite is trying to display how heavy the flower on it's head is, but it only makes it look foolish. The one plus though is that we get a better view of it's head flower. The sad expression is very unnormal for Vileplume as all of the other sprites show it with a smile. The arms and legs are in good size, but the legs look a little over spaced. And it's left arms a little smaller than it's right arm. The colors are very similar to FR/LG, only a little bit lighter, which I can work with.

6/10

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
- Better than D/P/Pt, but still somewhat bad. They seem to keep the same colors as before, but they do horrible with it's lighting. It looks like it's wearing a sweater. It also seems to be standing on it's toes if you compare it to it's other sprites. Besides that, there isn't much other differences between it and D/P/Pt. Overall normal looking.

7.5/10

Black/White:
- With darker colors once again, this has to be my second favorite sprite. Though it still has the "sweater lighting", they make it up with the colors for it's head flower. The flower seems very vibrant and realistic to the eye. It really compliments Vileplume's total sprite. And they have the shading underneath it perfect to look like it's providing shade for it's upper face. The arms and legs are good sized, though once again, it's left arm seems smaller than it's right. Overall, best flower design yet.
8/10
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:50 PM
PlatinumDude
Nyeh?
Community Supporter

I can't believe I haven't talked about Gallade here yet...

Its sprites are actually cool:

D/P, Platinum and B/W respectively.

I like the positioning of its arms in the Platinum sprite.

Old November 2nd, 2010, 03:37 AM
Rucario
Madam you see before you stand

Nature: Bold
I honestly found that the best sprites were from R/B/Y because of the originality. I really like the HG/SS sprites as well because of the animations and just that they were new. The D/P/Pt sprites were okay, but they weren't the best. I saw the B/W sprites and I've noticed that they look kind of... pixelated for some reason. The FR/LG sprites were pretty amazing for their time as well. I remember when R/S/E came out and everybody was so amazed because of the sprites. And who wouldn't be? They were pretty good after we saw the G/S/C sprites. The G/S/C sprites were amazing because they were animated and I remember all of my friends were so excited to see the animations because it was new.

Old November 2nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
Thorns
Trainer

Gloom Sprite Discussion:
Red/Blue:
- Not a good sprite at all. The sprite is missing an orange hair-like petal. The flower on it's head also seems a little small and flat. The limited color palette didn't help Gloom at all as the colors aren't at all part of Gloom's official colors. The worst feature on this sprite is the white lips as it makes it look like the drool is all over it's lips and not just dripping from them. The facial expression seems a little overboard. The legs seem a little small. Finally, the pollen is an unnessicary addition to the sprite.

Yellow:
- Very good sprite for Gloom. Though the main problem is the red hue, the whole sprite seems accurate and precise. All body parts are in perfect size, and none are missing either. The facial expression seems completely normal for a Gloom. They didn't use any pollen effects which is a definite plus.

8/10

Red/Green:
- Worst sprite for Gloom. Not only is every possible feature of Gloom either too slim or small. It seems like the resized the R/Band made it taller and skinnier, most importantly it's flower, body and it's hair-like petals. They even overdid the pollen effect MORE than before. Not to mention it's horrible color scheme. Basically it's a bad sprite.

Gold/Crystal:
- The colors of Gloom are very good for a limited palette. The colors go very well together and are close to that of Gloom's official colors. The lips also get an improvement, being seperate from it's actual drool. They brought back the pollen effect, which in my opinion, doesn't make the sprite better in any way. The arms and legs are in precise sizing. The only downside would be the fact that it's flower in petals look more as one body part when they should be two seperate parts. Overall, not bad for a sprite.

7/10

Silver:
- Not a very good sprite in terms of positioning. The fact that it looks like it's falling makes it look silly since Gloom's flower shouldn't even be heavy. Besides that, everything else is exactly like the Gold sprite.

6/10

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald:
- Being Gloom's first sprite with an unlimited palette, it didn't disappoint at all. All the colors seem precise and the figure seems correct overall. The only thing I find odd about it is that Gloom's sticking up it's right foot. It's not so high that it looks like it's falling, but wierd enough for question. Nothing really special about it, which does make it somewhat dull.

6.5/10

FireRed/LeafGreen:
- Very excellent color palette, like it's evolution, Vileplume. The colors seem to be perfect for Gloom as all the colors seem to be darkened compared to it's previous sprite colors. We also get to see Gloom in a new pose that doesn't make it look foolish. What I like best is that Gloom's face looks somewhat three dimensional as it's in a comepletely new angle. Overall, my favorite.

8.5/10

Diamond/Pearl/Black/White:
- Overall, Gloom's expression brigns out the entire sprite. The colors, position and overall size proportions are very good. The hair-like petals seem a tad bit too long. Not bad, but not good.

6/10

HeartGold/SoulSilver:
- A very interesting angle of Gloom. With gloom looking up make sit seem more it's size. Everything seem about right, but also very dull like most of it's other sprites.

7/10
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here