The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Advertise here

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 4th, 2011, 04:14 PM
The 100 Mega Shock
Donator Tier 3

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by An-san Rebelleon View Post
I really miss my brown Sneasel, which is why I play my Gold and Silver now and then. Brown Sneasel is awesome with its blue 'feather'.

There a reason Sneasel got a sprite recoloring for Crystal forward? Its shiny has stayed rather consistant. Not that the current Sneasel colors are bad, I just liked the brown.
There are many instances of sprites from the first few generations having inconsistencies with the official design.

The most likely explanation is that the sprite artists worked using reference sheets that used unfinalised designs, designs which would have changed slightly before the game was released. By the time they discovered these mistakes it would likely have been too late to correct them for the initial release of the game (Gold and Silver have a few sprites that were changed for the American release to correct errors).

This tends to happen sometimes when you've gotta draw a whole lotta sprites at once while the game could still be in radical development. If you ever play the original Sonic The Hedgehog, pay close attention to his sprite - in some frames the white stripe on his shoes is missing; it was only added to his design partway through the game's development.

And we've also seen several instances where the sprites in Pokémon have changed dramatically between prototypes and the final game - the three Sinnoh starter Pokémon have prototype back sprites that were drawn and shaded in the Generation III style, as well as similar backsprites of R/S Pokémon that seem to be indicative of a gradual change from the style of Gen III sprites to Gen IV ones.

Last edited by The 100 Mega Shock; October 4th, 2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:13 PM
DoctorFred
I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ

Nature: Calm
I'll do Rapidash just for the heck of it, since no one evaluated it thus far.

Spoiler:
Green - - Meh. cool pose, but the tail doesn't look like fire to me, nor do the flames around his feet, they look more like horns. Still, its very good compared to other Green sprites. 7/10

R/B - - Oh, nah, nah. They made the flames look more realistic, but now they messed up the pose. Plus its face just looks weird to me (too rounded, maybe?) 4/10

Yellow - - I don't really know about this one. His feet are in an awkward position and it looks like he's about to trip. Also i wanna point out the very weird coloring around his feet. idk if that's the shading or fire or what. Still, many improvements, they fixed the snout, made the fire look better, and it shows off rapidash's tendency to gallop a full speed. 8/10

Gold - - they gave him better coloring imo and made the flames very realistic now, but why is his head down? Is he trying to stab the player? Also, Is it just me or did his head just get way bigger? 6.5/10

Silver - - It looks like someone just kicked him in the butt. Why can't he just be doing a normal standing/running position? Still its cool how its standing on its hind legs, he looks pissed. 6.5/10

Crystal - - Oh man, he's getting ready to charge! Fixed all previous problems, most imporatntly, the giant head. But now the color looks slightly different. 9.5/10

R/S/E - - Weird Pose. What is going on with its legs? 5.5/10

FR/LG - Better. It actually looks like he's doing a normal run. 8/10

D/P - - My favorite sprite thus far. He now looks large and very majestic and is doing a normal pose, which he haven't seen in awhile. Everything is just right about it, no errors at all. Perfect, A-OK, accomplished, superb, unequaled, just keep it the way it is. 10/10

Platinum - I liked the D/P one better, but this one is okay. Why did they have to turn his body? And they made his flames too intense. 8.5/10

HG/SS - - Not a big fan of this one. They made is feet fatter, and there is something about tis face that irks me. Still, they made the flames look really cool. 9/10

B/W - - Basically the D/P sprite animated. I love how its flames move in the wind. 10/10
Old October 27th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Today, I am doing the Pokemon I chose as my starter way back when I was playing SoulSilver... CYNDAQUIL!

Gold: Good pose but the coloring just doesn't stack up with the more modern games. 6/10

Silver: Pose is worse than Gold. 4/10

Crystal: It's just the Gold sprite reversed and moving, not a fan of reverse-facing poses. 2/10

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen: Looks happy there! 7/10

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Pose is weird, not as bad as GSC possibly because of better coloring. 5/10

HeartGold/SoulSilver: Best of them all! Loved this sprite cos it has originality. 10/10

Black/White: Not as good pose as HGSS but the animation and coloring is good. 9.5/10

paired with AWsquared and Starry Windy
battle server | tumblr | twl | profile | supporter

on a leave of absence

Old October 30th, 2011, 05:35 PM
BraveVesperia
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Gentle
I'll do Seadra! :D

Red/Blue - The pose and coloring is OK 6/10

Yellow - Better than the previous one. 7/10

Gold/Silver - I hate the color and his pose makes him look a flying type. 5/10

Crystal - Her tail is a bit screwed but I like the animation. 7/10

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen - His true color came out YAY!! but the animation is wierd. 8/10

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - This is his best pose! 10/10

Heartgold/ Soulsilver - Why can't you look at me! 9/10

The same with Platinum but moving 10/10
Learn to be an amazing PIANIST within 5 weeks!
Impress your friends by mastering your GUITAR playing here!
Old October 30th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Today, I'm doing another popular Water-type Pokemon - Marill!

Gold: Nice pose, although not as good as later generations. 5/10

Silver: Cute but not very colorful. 4/10

Crystal: One of the very few Crystal sprites that doesn't recycle the Gold pose. 5/10

R/S/FR/LG/E: Nice pose but the colors only get better! 7/10

Diamond/Pearl: Way too light and uncreative pose. 4/10

Platinum: This is where Marill starts to get better in appearance. 9/10

HeartGold/SoulSilver: Best Marill sprite ever, well done Game Freak designers! 10/10

Black/White: It's the HG/SS sprite recycled but now it's actually moving! 10/10

on a leave of absence

Old October 31st, 2011, 10:26 AM
Jak
@ dark eco

Nature: Timid
Okay everyone, the thread is called sprite discussion not sprite "let's post all this Pokemon's sprite for +1 post count". I'm not going to make rules for this thread or anything, but can we please cut back on the posting sprites, giving a caption/quick run down, then leaving? Like, at least say something about what other people have pointed out about other sprites.

If you need an example of how this thread used to work when it was fun: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...=185180&page=4

Please and thank you guys. Now, to get a few things started...

Who's THAT Pokemon!? ._.

This is really Togekiss watching Doduo take a dump. It's not really a Hitmonchan...

Blood will have blood.
paired to klippy, mr. downstairs, and elheroeoscuro
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:37 AM
AquaticWartortle
Teh Best Wartortle

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
Okay everyone, the thread is called sprite discussion not sprite "let's post all this Pokemon's sprite for +1 post count". I'm not going to make rules for this thread or anything, but can we please cut back on the posting sprites, giving a caption/quick run down, then leaving? Like, at least say something about what other people have pointed out about other sprites.

If you need an example of how this thread used to work when it was fun: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthr...=185180&page=4

Please and thank you guys. Now, to get a few things started...

Who's THAT Pokemon!? ._.

This is really Togekiss watching Doduo take a dump. It's not really a Hitmonchan...
So does it mean that we can still do the Pokemon sprite evolution things but just not as much?

Credits: XxXRy0MaEcHiZenXxX
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:41 AM
Jak
@ dark eco

You can still do them, yes, but if you look at the three posts before my last one, that's all people are doing. They're not even discussing, and I'd like this thread to be for discussing, not just "post sprites, get +1 post count, go off" and rinse and repeat. So yes, they can still be posted, but if you're going to post them, try to add in stuff about the last one that was posted to make your post at least have a purpose other than just posting sprites. Like I said, look at the earlier pages of the thread and you'll see what I mean.

Blood will have blood.
Old October 31st, 2011, 07:41 PM
Ciax
Ledian Used Starlight!

Nature: Sassy
Bit of stretching before the battle
BATTER UP!
Am I being seduced?
Truly one of the worst genration 1 sprite ever

Also im guessing that green back sprite was a scyther........ I think
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:03 PM
DoctorFred
I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciax View Post

That definitely was a scyther, and that Rhydon sprite looks pretty normal to me.

Creepy.

Ahh, time to take a long, nice stretch. Oops, i think i cracked a bone. Seriously, the neck chord thing on the back of it, looks way too long. Compare it to b/w:

See how tiny it is there?

It's a chain. He's eating his own shell, and the shell is eating him! reminds me of how my dog eats his tail.

It looks anemic.

If you look at it really quick, it looks like Dragonite. I actually thought it was Dragonite at first, until i noticed the flame on its tail. ಠ_ಠ
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM
Jak
@ dark eco

Yeah, the back sprite was Scyther. I thought it was Rhydon at first. (Yeah, I know. Green Rhydon lol.)

lmao OMG. "I got this guys. Stand back."

The RB Charizard looks like he's trying to hoard something all to himself, even though there's nothing there for him to hide. Still though. :( And I love Mewtwo's BW sprite/animation. <3

Blood will have blood.
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Sector

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Someone please explain this to me.

Why in the love of ass does Kakuna have claws? Was GameFreak planning on making him vicious? Yeah, it looks kind of cool, but I never expected a cocoon to have retractable claws and come at me like Wolverine.

I was about to say something about Kakuna as I was reading each posts. I think they were trying to make Kakuna look cool readying to hatch Beedrill.

I agree with most, Exeggutor ESPECIALLY Golbat were the two most ridiculous Sprites I had ever seen. I released them the moment they evolved and completed the Pokedex. I couldn't stand the look of those two.. Gastly looked awesome though.
Old December 7th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Adventure
thief . of . light

Nature: Naive
Quote:

The RB Charizard looks like he's trying to hoard something all to himself, even though there's nothing there for him to hide. Still though. :( And I love Mewtwo's BW sprite/animation. <3

I never liked that sprite of Mewtwo. I think he looked better when he was a bit fatter and shorter, like in Gold. He has a boring pose in B/W.

Pokémon aren't supposed to be thin :D bring back fat Pikachu<3
Old December 7th, 2011, 01:43 PM
The 100 Mega Shock
Donator Tier 3

The tiny sprites made for ridiculous proportions. It's only natural the as the quality of the art and sprites improved that they would become leaner and more naturally proportioned.

They finally fixed Mewtwo's giant head in HG/SS, but the D/P sprite proved easier to animate.
Old December 10th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Ciax
Ledian Used Starlight!

Has anyone noticed the difference in Bellossom's colouring from the 2nd generation

Also I love Bellossom's moving B/W sprite. It seems like it's dancing and it's so cute.
Old December 11th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Superjub
Pokémon Aureolin
Community Supporter

Quote:
Has anyone noticed the difference in Bellossom's colouring from the 2nd generation

Also I love Bellossom's moving B/W sprite. It seems like it's dancing and it's so cute.
Probably one of the most fitting animations I've seen. I'm a bit bias though, because I love Bellossom anyway. =3=

Also, I see the Hitmons were mentioned earlier. While I prefer Hitmonchan and Hitmontop to Hitmonlee, I really like its Crystal animation.

Pokémon Aureolin

Old December 11th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Ciax
Ledian Used Starlight!

That animation really suits Hitmonlee. He is also my least favourite hitmon but thats off topic.

Most of the Crystal sprites have great animations and are considered by some to be the best sprites around.
Here are a few of my favourite
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:59 PM
The 100 Mega Shock
Donator Tier 3

The quality of the original G/S sprites are fine, and probably represent the point where their artists had the best balance of working at the limits of hardware and still making dynamic and well-made sprites (as opposed to Gen III's awful shading, Gen IV's blandness and Gen V's dreadful animation) - but the animated variants in Crystal leave something to be desired.

Lest we forget the massive error in this one.
Old December 13th, 2011, 05:39 PM
miju-kun
soaring

Nature: Hasty
Just look at Jynx's animation from Crystal

Don't you think it is so cute? SHAKE YER BOOTEH!

This is the opposite of cute:

In my opinion; I think this sprite has a cool animation, despite it being from Emerald:

♖ no one ever wondered ♖
Old December 18th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Klave
Beginning Trainer

Jolteon's HGSS sprite is terrible, it makes me shudder.
Old December 18th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Hikamaru
pseudologia fantastica
Community Supporter

Look at Gothitelle moving, like she's dancing!

Leavanny's sprites is cool too, according to Marriland he says Leavanny is bowing to him.

Cofagrigus is sure to give you a surprise!

Swanna spreads its wings!

Elgyem and Beheeyem - What's with the floating?

on a leave of absence

Old December 20th, 2011, 01:52 PM
The 100 Mega Shock
Donator Tier 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
This is my least favourite thing about B/W sprites. The animation is so badly choreographed in so many of them that they should have never tried in the first place. I wish I was exaggerating when I talk about how amateurish some of these animated sprites look.

My personal favourite for nonsensical animation and a boring lack of movement. My apologies if there's a man working at Game Freak who can actually move his neck independently of his shoulders like that, but you should probably see a doctor.

Last edited by The 100 Mega Shock; December 20th, 2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old December 24th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Pyrax
World Class Baka

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post

Elgyem and Beheeyem - What's with the floating?
I'm certain that they're floating using telekinesis, they are Psychic types, after all.
"The moment man devoured the fruit of knowledge, he sealed his fate… Entrusting his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope. Yet, the arcana is the means by which all is revealed. Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end. It matters not who you are… Death awaits you" - Nyx
Old January 1st, 2012, 06:25 AM
miltankRancher
Mega Ampharos is the one.

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via Yahoo to miltankRancher
and they are aliens of course.

I hate how pixelized the sprites are for BW. But, that's given since it's pretty hard spriting a moving sprite without any negativities.

I am a Roleplayer

...and I am PROUD of it.
Lanistae Jacet [Lies of a Trainer]
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:20 AM
Yoshikkko

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Bit of stretching before the battle
BATTER UP!
Am I being seduced?

Well that Rhyhorn is definitely not one of the worst and I kind of like it actually. And I do find that I like the old sprites better than the newer ones.
And I just goootta love this Jynx green sprite
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here