The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Gaming Central

Notices

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:43 PM
Hikamaru
The Aqua Mouse Pokémon

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobatrulez20 View Post
Man, Mew's Green sprite looks horrible.

What is this?

This is so much better.
Mew sure looked creepy back then I have to say.

I do have to admit there's something weird about the 1st Gen Pikachu sprites, I almost thought it was Raichu at first!

At least the art got better over the years and make Pikachu "lose weight":

Crystal Supporter Hikamaru

"The fur on its body naturally repels water. It can stay dry, even when it plays in the water."

Marill

Old August 1st, 2013, 10:04 PM
Velvex the Øverlørd
The Apparition

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
I do have to admit there's something weird about the 1st Gen Pikachu sprites, I almost thought it was Raichu at first!

At least the art got better over the years and make Pikachu "lose weight":

Awh, what? You don't like the old Pikachu design? Chubby-Pikachu was awesome, a much more fitting look in my opinion. I'd love it if they brought back Chubbychu. That being said the 1st Gen sprites, specifically Green, were complete crap in general.
Old August 4th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Crobatrulez20
Ash x Serena please

Ummm, Honchkrow has a stupid shiny sprite.

You look badass.

But not when you're pink.
Old August 6th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Clawvile

They got the eyes wrong.
I remember it having eyes like this;
Generation I sprites don't make any sense

The legend of golurk: Pokeflute of time
Old August 7th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Gladius
the prophet

looks a lot like a Bellsprout. Generation I sprites still have that nostalgic good feel though.
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Crobatrulez20
Ash x Serena please

+ =

Yes, this was Hitmonchan's Green sprite.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:45 PM
AdrianD
Competitive Trainer

Nature: Serious
On my HG game yesterday. I caught the red gyarados and then the next magikarp i met was a shiny. It was my first wild caught shiny in a long time
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:03 PM
Major Ziggs
This'll be a blast!
Community Supporter Tier 4

I would just like to say that Relicanth has the damn sexiest shiny sprite out there.

The normal sprite for Relicanth is decent and the colours do suit him (especially with his concept), but the shiny sprite is beyond gorgeous. It's easily my favourite sprite out of all sprites so far (perhaps bordering close to Pachirisu...), I'm just hoping that won't change when it's in 3D for X&Y.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 06:07 AM
Miss Fortune
Fortune doesn't favor fools!

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to Miss Fortune
Shiny Relicanth is really breathtaking and is definitely one of the best shiny sprites out there. I just love any sprite that has that shade of blue and Relicanth is no exception.

I've always been quite fond of Gigalith's shiny sprite as well:

His original sprite is just OK, but the shiny version makes him into a beautiful Pokemon. The coloration is near perfect and the blue suits him really well. This is definitely my favorite shiny sprite from B&W and possibly of all time!

Old September 5th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Peitharchia
// and finite incantatem

Nature: Careful
Send a message via AIM to Peitharchia
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Golbat from Pokémon R/B/Y has gotta be one of the worst-looking sprites that they've ever made. Its eyes looks as if they're about to be vanished into thin air, and its face expression makes me think that it's in horrible pain. D:

I absolutely adore the shiny Umbreon sprite, by the way! The blue stripes look much better on it than the yellow stripes. Plus, it doesn't have the scary-looking red eyes anymore.

Old September 6th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Couriway
leaping through the woods
Community Supporter Tier 5

Nature: Jolly
I agree with above. Golbat's R/B/Y sprite is just... eugh. I'll definately say that it's sprites have improved over a few generations. However, there hasn't been much change in the recent generations. If only they gave it Crobat's colour scheme :3;

Also, a shiny Charizard is just gorgeous! It even looks more like a dragon. I have to say, they did a good job. If they gave it any other colour sheme, ...meh. I would prefer this one, haha; xD
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:43 PM
LiteSandwich
"Tutturu~♪"

Nature: Quiet

I loved the animation done on Pidgeots Emerald Sprite. The animation made it look like it was serious about winning a battle.
Old September 15th, 2013, 05:35 AM
charizard is best

Has anyone ever noticed how over the span of all the Pokemon Games for handhelds, it seems like Snorlax has just been trying to stand up? (Google if you need examples)
Old September 21st, 2013, 01:02 AM
Elaitenstile
Sea turtles, mate.

Yep. And I just think it might stand up for X&Y's models. From lying down flat to sitting in 4 Gens. He's quite the active guy!

I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.

Savvy?
#johnnydeppjacksparrow
Previously known as ★Hoenn★

Old September 21st, 2013, 01:18 AM
Hikamaru
The Aqua Mouse Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ★Hoenn★ View Post
Yep. And I just think it might stand up for X&Y's models. From lying down flat to sitting in 4 Gens. He's quite the active guy!
Snorlax was still shown sitting down when it was depicted in an X & Y trailer in the Pokemon-Amie segment. But still I'm hoping it stands up in battle, now that would be cool!

"The fur on its body naturally repels water. It can stay dry, even when it plays in the water."

Marill

Old September 21st, 2013, 01:55 AM
Logiedan
highly-functioning sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteSandwich View Post

I loved the animation done on Pidgeots Emerald Sprite. The animation made it look like it was serious about winning a battle.
I honestly think this is the most dynamic sprite animation out of all of them-- well I don't know all of them by memory but when I played through generations, this was the best I've ever seen. Sad to see these gone.
Old September 21st, 2013, 02:42 AM
Elaitenstile
Sea turtles, mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logiedan View Post
I honestly think this is the most dynamic sprite animation out of all of them-- well I don't know all of them by memory but when I played through generations, this was the best I've ever seen. Sad to see these gone.
I know. And in Emerald we couldn't get any Pidgey in the wild... Seems like a lot of wasted potential. I feel that the two-frame thing was really thought out in the older games. True, animations in BW are cool, but they don't show dynamic poses like this Pidgeot did.
Old September 21st, 2013, 04:33 AM
LiteSandwich
"Tutturu~♪"

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari10 View Post
Snorlax was still shown sitting down when it was depicted in an X & Y trailer in the Pokemon-Amie segment. But still I'm hoping it stands up in battle, now that would be cool!
I think Snorlax stood up in Stadium 2 when it did Punch moves.
Old September 21st, 2013, 04:37 AM
Elaitenstile
Sea turtles, mate.

Quote:
I think Snorlax stood up in Stadium 2 when it did Punch moves.
Yeah but... I really want a fully standing Snolax. That would be awesome.
Old September 21st, 2013, 05:01 AM
manutdrule
Not your cup of tea.

i am of the opinion that most sprite nowadays are conservative and uninspiring, they look shiny and pretty all but thats it. RGBY sprites have the oldschool pre-00s feel that you will never see againits fake but the cariculture-ish design gives the new pokemon an interesting take

Old September 21st, 2013, 05:10 AM
Hikamaru
The Aqua Mouse Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutdrule View Post
i am of the opinion that most sprite nowadays are conservative and uninspiring, they look shiny and pretty all but thats it. RGBY sprites have the oldschool pre-00s feel that you will never see again
Spoiler:
its fake but the cariculture-ish design gives the new pokemon an interesting take
I wrapped a spoiler tag around the image because it's quite big, but yeah I came across that piece of art once on DeviantArt I think. That person must be a really talented artist if they were able to make 1st Gen-style sprites of all the non-1st Gen Pokemon. Looking back on the past generation sprites, I do say these would look weird and off-model in comparison to today's sprites, and the 3D models we'll be getting in X and Y.

Quote:

Yeah I loved how awesome that animation was, it was sad that some sprites in that game had such cool poses or animations yet the Pokemon in question couldn't be obtained without aid of a link cable or some form of trading.

Marill

Old September 28th, 2013, 04:30 AM
yungdialysis
shoutout to britney spears

Okay so i got this idea i wanted to discuss with you.

What if they could make every sprite original? With that i mean for example that bulbasaurs spots are different in every sprite or that one scyther has a little bit of a lighter green than the other one. So that you would bond more with your pokemon and you have your'e own original pokemon. It looks just a little annoying when someone has the same pokemon they look like exact copies of each other, and i'm a game programmer myself and i know it's not very difficult to randomify how the sprite will look like. I hope this will happen in the future. By the way, this is no complain to the sprites but it's just an idea what (i think) would make the pokemon games more fun.

What do you think? Throw your opinion or whatever you have to say down below.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
[/sig-reason]

Last edited by yungdialysis; September 28th, 2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old September 28th, 2013, 01:48 PM
EXO時代
엑소녀시대

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to EXO時代
That would have been too much works and I figures it might make the internal battery dies off fast; But who knows with the technology getting better and better?

It would be cool to have different-looking-same-species, still, I will stick with same ones since I don't think we will have time to ogle at each other's Pokemon during a fight.

Personally, I also think it will reduce the chance of the Pokemon's value in trading as some people might not like the colour/ pattern etc.

Girls' Generation & EXO
WE ARE ONE! 짱!
| x Friendcode x |
Old September 28th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Flushed
down the drain.

Nature: Careful
They're doing a better job of this with like Flabebe, and the one dog-grooming Pokemon that I can't remember. And Spinda already is like this. I'd be all for it, but as mentioned, complications can arise that could be more of a hassle than it's worth.
Old September 28th, 2013, 10:20 PM
Ari Niko
Sincerity

Nature: Bold
That'd be great! Personally I think it kinda would make Spinda worthless, but that's a worthy sacrifice if all other Pokémon could be unique!

Nice idea
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links