Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

View Poll Results: Would you use all 65535 pokemon slots if it became possible?
Yes, I would. 70 35.00%
No, take too long, and I only need a few. 85 42.50%
I am fine with standard pokemon. 36 18.00%
I do not care. 9 4.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 7th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Dragonmaster91
It's just common sense!

Nature: Adamant

Advertise here
The Main Project

This project is to find out how to hack glitch pokemon data.
Mostly to add D/P/P pokemon to Fire Red.

Obstacles

Currently, pokemon cries.

A bit of info on glitch pokemon

I guess a bit of explanation is in order for the people who are new, or do not know this.

The first and second generation used the hex FF to define how many pokemon there are.

In the first generation, they used 151 pokemon, which allowed for 105 glitch pokemon.

In the second generation, they still used FF, and used 251 pokemon. This allowed 5 glitch pokemon, one being a bad egg.

In the third and fourth generation, they used FFFF to determine the amount of pokemon they CAN make.

In the third generation, they used 386 pokemon, allowing for 65149 glitch pokemon to exist. 25 are the "Unknown" remnants, and one is hex 0000, which looks like all the others above hex 019C. There also are no hybrids, like in the fourth generation. Some of them crash your game as well. Also, if you add 109 pokemon, you could also have all the 4th gen pokemon. Hex 19C is the bad egg. It is named "-".

In the fourth generation, same hex FFFF, but 493 occupied slots, no "unknown" remnants. so 493 converted into hex is 01ED. Allowing 64545 Glitch pokemon. 64545? yes, the other 495 are hybrids.

Note: Glitch pokemon are pokemon indeed, but there is still the issue that these pokemon share most the same pointers! It saves data! So, that is an obastacle.

Amendment to note: Repoints have mostly already been made.

Hybrids

Starting at 8000 ending at 81ED. Most glitch pokemon crash your game, the hybrids are somewhat different. It depends on what system you are playing on. On a normal DS, the crashes when you catch one, because of the pokedex issue. The only way to obtain one on a normal DS is to use a mining museum code. On an emulator, You can catch one, and the pokedex data is empty, except for the entry data, which if you catch a hybrid bulbasaur, it appears as ?46 or something like that. Don't ever give a hybrid a nickname. The hybrids all have the same moveset, present, covet, and glitch. Glitch never has any accuracy. These hybrids also skip levels, like some of the third gen glitches.

The Question

So here is what I was thinking, if most the data could be found for the third gen glitch pokemon in a hex editor/memory viewer, couldn't it be possible to hack these pokemon into something the game recognizes and won't freeze on (because of the lack of data)?

The Theory

Here is a point where people are too reliant on tools, to add new pokemon, you would need to change the picture. Pokedit pro makes this very easy, but the fact is that it does not change the glitch pokemons sprite. To do this, you would need to

1. expand the rom (I am not sure if there will be enough room to even add new sprites to 300 of these).

2. Add the sprite to the game via hex editor(/unlz for those who can't find the hex).

3. Repoint all the data of that pokemons sprite.

4. Change that pokemons data, and pokedex data (using a hex editor).

Voila, you can have 65535 new pokemon (lol, game won't hold THAT
many). Thing is, we need to find out all this hex data. I know that a few people know some of the pokemons hex data, but probably not that much.

Others findings

I have searched this site thoroughly and found nothing, as well as the web. The only thing I have found was at Glitch City Laboratories, where they were looking but quit after a few because they mostly turned up the same results for all of the glitches (note: They only got up to 1 or 200 maybe 300 or 400). However, their reports did not have anything on what the Memory Viewer said about the locations,

Summarized: There can be up to 65535 pokemon in the 3rd gen, if you
1. expand the rom (I am not sure if there will be enough room to even add new sprites to 300 of these).

2. Add the sprite to the game via hex editor(/unlz for those who can't find the hex).

3. Repoint all the data of that pokemons sprite.

4. Change that pokemons data, and pokedex data (using a hex editor).

You could have many many many new pokemon. The theory above is just a theory, I have not tried this out. This is also why I have not put it into the documents and tutorials board too.

Help wanted!

thethethethe listed the offsets for Fire red, these can be used to explore a little more with those offsets. However, as I am still teaching my self hex, help is greatly wanted.

Other possible uses!

I wish this thread be used to figure this out. No one will ever get all 65535, but if we get a couple hundred, there are endless possibilities. Not too mention pokemon boxes, where the sprite will show up with the show pokebox command, or something like that (mostly for characters who are speaking). To do that, all you would have to do is change the sprite.

Crediting the hybrids

The D/P/P Hybrid pokemon, I did not find them, the proud people of Glitch city laboratories did.

Also, picture of a D/P/P hybrid. It is the one that I am using.

People to be credited for research:

Newo of Glitch City Laboratories -
Reason: Supplying encounter codes.
Extended Hacker pokeamp

All Glitch City Laboratories members -
Reason: Testing some glitch pokemon.

thethethethe of the PokeCommunity -
Reason: Supplying offsets, thereby making things MUCH easier.
Supplying a .ips and an ini file for pokeamp compatible with the ips.

Attachment added, pokeamp 1.5. I got a copy from Newo's signature.
I am not sure if I should have done that, but oh well.

Thinking...
Attached Files
File Type: zip exha1-5.zip‎ (44.6 KB, 230 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Last edited by Dragonmaster91; July 27th, 2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: adding important details
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:05 PM
thethethethe
Gym Leader

Admittedly, I am far too lazy to lend any help although I would be interested in the results even if I wouldn't take advantage of them.
But here's some pointers to get you started. You may need a few more like the icon table.
Pokemon Front Sprite Pointer Table - 0x2350AC
Pokemon Back Sprite Pointer Table - 0x23654C
Pokemon Front Palette Pointer Table - 0x23730C
Pokemon Back Palette Pointer Table - 0x2380CC
Pokemon Names - 0x245EE0
Hoenn Pokedex Order - 0x251CB8 (Don't ask WHy, I don't know)
National Pokedex Order - 0x251FEE
Base Stat Data - 0x254784
Moveset Data - 0x257494
Evolution Data - 0x259758
Moveset Pointer Table - 0x25D7B4
PokeDex Data - 0x44E850
Gone.
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Dragonmaster91
It's just common sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethethethe View Post
Admittedly, I am far too lazy to lend any help although I would be interested in the results even if I wouldn't take advantage of them.
But here's some pointers to get you started. You may need a few more like the icon table.
Pokemon Front Sprite Pointer Table - 0x2350AC
Pokemon Back Sprite Pointer Table - 0x23654C
Pokemon Front Palette Pointer Table - 0x23730C
Pokemon Back Palette Pointer Table - 0x2380CC
Pokemon Names - 0x245EE0
Hoenn Pokedex Order - 0x251CB8 (Don't ask WHy, I don't know)
National Pokedex Order - 0x251FEE
Base Stat Data - 0x254784
Moveset Data - 0x257494
Evolution Data - 0x259758
Moveset Pointer Table - 0x25D7B4
PokeDex Data - 0x44E850
Thank you. These will help very much, I will not let anyone down.

My research, besides finding out if glitch pokemon crash or not, begins now.

Help from anyone would be appreciated, seeing as there are A LOT of the glitch pokemon

*edit* I remembered Newo's signature had something that allowed you to check out some of the pokeglitches data. Not many though... Also, a glitches moves as it levels up can be different. One time, Hex CCCC or BBBB (note: one of the two would crash) always learned a different move if I trained it from a low level. Usually, a lot before level 10, a few before 20. Sometimes, it only learned 1 move.

Last edited by Dragonmaster91; July 7th, 2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Thrace
@tion

Mastermind_X once told me he was able to do this successfully. You might want to ask him.
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Dragonmaster91
It's just common sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrace View Post
Mastermind_X once told me he was able to do this successfully. You might want to ask him.
I will, thank you for letting me know. He could help.

Edit: I sent him a PM

Last edited by Dragonmaster91; July 7th, 2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:03 PM
sky_queen3
Minusle Fangirl. ;)

Nature: Naive
65535 Pokemon? Think of all the fakes we could create! :D
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Dragonmaster91
It's just common sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_queen3 View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of adding all the fourth generation pokemon, but that will be up to you.
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:43 PM
PlatniumPiano
You are now breathing manually

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_queen3 View Post
One can have too much of a good thing. With all this room, I would fear not an increase of fakemon, but a decrease in quality of fakemon. If somebody can create 65,535 decent looking pokemon that look original and fresh, PM me... I agree with the Dragonmaster's title idea. All the Pokemon from every game would be fine. Possibly a good amount of fakemon. I have not seen a Fakemon only hack (if there is, link?) that has gotten off of the ground, though Torzach shows more potential than the rest. 150 fakemon may be possible but 65 grand? Not gonna happen. At that point you would have to start importing anime characters and pets lol. Not to mention how much time that would take. Concept art, frontsprites, backsprites, cries, movesets, etc... It would be just too much.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Dragonmaster91
It's just common sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulJones View Post
One can have too much of a good thing. With all this room, I would fear not an increase of fakemon, but a decrease in quality of fakemon. If somebody can create 65,535 decent looking pokemon that look original and fresh, PM me... I agree with the Dragonmaster's title idea. All the Pokemon from every game would be fine. Possibly a good amount of fakemon. I have not seen a Fakemon only hack (if there is, link?) that has gotten off of the ground, though Torzach shows more potential than the rest. 150 fakemon may be possible but 65 grand? Not gonna happen. At that point you would have to start importing anime characters and pets lol. Not to mention how much time that would take. Concept art, frontsprites, backsprites, cries, movesets, etc... It would be just too much.
Agreed, and I don't think anyone has that much time on their hands.

Edit: Or that much space, even with a 32-bit rom.
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:10 PM
onyx79
Red Dead Revolver

Nature: Modest
so you're trying to say there are 65535 pokemons and all of them can be used?
sounds kinda cool,it would help in making a 3rd gen hack with all of the d\p pokemon in it,that means all of the 493 pokemons!
also you can insert the 5th gen when it comes out!
edit:I can help with the nobby job=editing the d\p pokemons names stats and everything that is not related to sprite hacking
my room base: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...5&postcount=64

Last edited by onyx79; July 7th, 2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Dragonmaster91
It's just common sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx79 View Post
so you're trying to say there are 65535 pokemons and all of them can be used?
sounds kinda cool,it would help in making a 3rd gen hack with all of the d\p pokemon in it,that means all of the 493 pokemons!
Thats if there is a fifth generation. I think Nintendo has really been milking it lately.

Not too mention though, when people learn more about the fourth generation data, you can hack those too!

Unrelated note: I do not know how some people figure out the hex data...
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Isn't 65535 kinda too much?
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:43 AM
sky_queen3
Minusle Fangirl. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmaster91 View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of adding all the fourth generation pokemon, but that will be up to you.
Ok... 65429 fakes then. :D There's 106 4th gen pokemon. Yeah it's a lot but having extra space in case one mucks up is good.
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:08 AM
cooley
///Keepin' it simple

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cooley Send a message via Skype™ to cooley
Quote:
Unrelated note: I do not know how some people figure out the hex data...
It depends what you're searching for

Say the cry on the Intro was a Pikachu, so you would search for 19, changing it each occurrence to see if that's the offset that you wanted.

But people also reverse engineer to find things out, like the scripting commands and such.
VBA is a great helper if you want to find something out

Old July 8th, 2009, 05:22 AM
KostK2Boss
Wonder Trade Addict

Nature: Quirky
WOW! It's not 1000, it's not 10,000, ut 65,000 pokemon! It's waayy too much to catch in a lifetime. It MIGHT be possible. It is definitely possilbe with the 25 former Unown (aka ??), because their offsets are known. Should you solve this mystery, use the 65,000 slots for something more than just fakemon, like character mugshots, or gender difference pokemon.
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Obviously people wouldn't use all 65535 spaces; that's just how many are possible :\
This is just to avoid being limited by that 386+25 Pokémon thing, and possibly a few others (mugshots, alternate forms, etc).

Anyway, to stay on-topic, this is actually pretty interesting (even for a non-hacker like myself). Thanks to thethethethe's offsets, I think I could create a patch for the stats (base stats, moves, Pokédex entries etc) of the D/P Pokémon. I don't know how the sprites are compressed, so I can't do that (at least, not using a script)... Same goes for cries. If anyone cared to explain how the LZ77 algorithm works in GBA games, or how the Pokémon cries are stored, I could give those a go too... But isn't there still an issue with the game not processing more than 386 Pokémon? For example, the national dex order could theoretically go on infinitely, so there's got to be some code somewhere telling it to stop at 386. Until someone figures this out (anyone already done it), these 65535 slots are useless
I wouldn't use it myself, since I prefer RPG Maker. But it would probably come in useful to all the hackers here.

(by the way, I've been messing with automating a couple of things; in the past half an hour, I've decapitalized all the Pokémon, move, and ability names. Inserting the stats of the D/P Pokémon shouldn't be much harder)
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Dragonmaster91
It's just common sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wichu View Post
Obviously people wouldn't use all 65535 spaces; that's just how many are possible :\
^ This. And as someone had said, you can use extras in case you screw them up... When this is all said and done, I am going to add all the D/P/P pokemon and release a rom base. That should save a lot of time for others, and I only have to do it once!

There is another issue though, I think I hit in my first post. All of these pokemon have the same sprite, and name. A simple repoint of the sprite could fix this. As for the name, I do not think they all share the same pointer for the name. If they do, I do not know if repointing the name will work...

I have to hurry and teach myself hex. I will be right back!
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

The Pokémon names are stored directly after each other; there is only one pointer to the name list. I've successfully repointed the name list by replacing all pointers to 0x245EE0. So I don't think you need to do anything special with that. Sprites shouldn't be hard to repoint.

Anyway, looking through the sprite pointer table, it seems that slots 412 to 439 are used up by the egg and remaining Unown sprites... So I guess any actual 4th gen Pokémon would have to start at 440 (unless you want them to have the sprites of an egg and Unowns ).

I was going to add all the D/P Pokémon's stats; it would only take me about half an hour.
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Dragonmaster91
It's just common sense!

Quote:
The Pokémon names are stored directly after each other; there is only one pointer to the name list. I've successfully repointed the name list by replacing all pointers to 0x245EE0. So I don't think you need to do anything special with that. Sprites shouldn't be hard to repoint.

Anyway, looking through the sprite pointer table, it seems that slots 412 to 439 are used up by the egg and remaining Unown sprites... So I guess any actual 4th gen Pokémon would have to start at 440 (unless you want them to have the sprites of an egg and Unowns :P).

I was going to add all the D/P Pokémon's stats; it would only take me about half an hour.
Well, you must know what you are doing... If there are 65535 pokemon slots, I don't think 440 will affect D/P/P pokemon much, do you? :)

So, this is actually going to be simple...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KostK2Boss View Post
WOW! It's not 1000, it's not 10,000, ut 65,000 pokemon! It's waayy too much to catch in a lifetime. It MIGHT be possible. It is definitely possilbe with the 25 former Unown (aka ??), because their offsets are known. Should you solve this mystery, use the 65,000 slots for something more than just fakemon, like character mugshots, or gender difference pokemon.
Good point. When this is done, not only can we add new pokes, we could create new pokemon forms!

Last edited by Dragonmaster91; July 8th, 2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:54 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
So, this is actually going to be simple...
I don't want to bring your hopes down, but it's not going to. Think about evolutions, for example. GBA games can have up to 5 of them. D/P/P can have up to 7 of them (Eevee, indeed). ASM hacking is required a lot for a successful expansion. No matter if they are 494 or 65536. Once you can get them work, adding more is pretty easy.
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

By the way, thanks to this document and some of my own research, I've figured out the full format of the Pokémon data at 0x254784.
The first two ?? bytes are the EVs gained for defeating the Pokémon, in the format 00 00 SpD SpA Spd Def Atk HP (two bits per stat).
The next ?? byte is the base happiness of the Pokémon.
The next ?? byte is the amount of Exp. needed to reach level 100, or growth rate (0: 1000000, 1: 600000, 2: 1640000, 3: 1059860, 4: 800000, 5: 1250000).
The next ?? byte is used to determine whether the Pokémon is asymmetrical (notice how some Pokémon don't have their sprite flipped in the summary?), and its colour. The first bit is 0 if the Pokémon is symmetrical, and 1 if it is not. The rest is used for its colour (0: Red, 1: Blue, 2: Yellow, 3: Green, 4: Black, 5: Brown, 6: Purple, 7: Gray, 8: White, 9: Pink).
The final two ?? bytes are always 0, and don't seem to serve a useful role.
So yeah, anyone planning to hex edit the new Pokémon should use that document along with these notes, since I doubt any tools will work for any added Pokémon.

If someone experienced with ASM can actually get this to work, then I'd gladly contribute by adding the D/P Pokémon data to the ROM (not just this, but the moves, dex data etc as well, once I figure out how they're stored in the ROM).

EDIT: I think that the egg group info in the document may be wrong, but I don't have time to check it. The missing group is 'fairy', by the way.

Last edited by Wichu; July 8th, 2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:21 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
By the way, thanks to this document and some of my own research, I've figured out the full format of the Pokémon data at 0x254784.
The first two ?? bytes are the EVs gained for defeating the Pokémon, in the format 00 00 SpD SpA Spd Def Atk HP (two bits per stat).
The next ?? byte is the amount of Exp. needed to reach level 100, or growth rate (0: 1000000, 1: 600000, 2: 1640000, 3: 1059860, 4: 800000, 5: 1250000).
The next ?? byte is used to determine whether the Pokémon is asymmetrical (notice how some Pokémon don't have their sprite flipped in the summary?), and its colour. The first bit is 0 if the Pokémon is symmetrical, and 1 if it is not. The rest is used for its colour (0: Red, 1: Blue, 2: Yellow, 3: Green, 4: Black, 5: Brown, 6: Purple, 7: Gray, 8: White, 9: Pink).
So yeah, anyone planning to hex edit the new Pokémon should use that document along with these notes, since I doubt any tools will work for any added Pokémon.

If someone experienced with ASM can actually get this to work, then I'd gladly contribute by adding the D/P Pokémon data to the ROM (not just this, but the moves, dex data etc as well, once I figure out how they're stored in the ROM).

EDIT: I think that the egg group info in the document may be wrong, but I don't have time to check it. The missing group is 'fairy', by the way.
Bulbapedia helps:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...ure_in_the_GBA
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx79 View Post
With 5th gen... I guess that brings more free space to be used xD
So something like 262143
ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack. | Previous Sign 2 | Previous Sign

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Dragonmaster91
It's just common sense!

I have been waiting for your response. Hang on people. Video of bad egg being uploaded. No point in the bad egg, I know, but it begins the glitch hex. So, I think it may be somewhat useful.

Imagine fighting with an egg that has an actual summary and has attacks.

Edit: Troubles uploading. Trying to get it up still.
Edit 2:
Quote:

That was EXTREMELY useful. Thank you.

Now we know we can change some of the data around...

Screw it, the videos are messing up on me. I am going in.

EDIT EDIT EDIT***: Gave up on the video, recording screwed up on me.

Last edited by Dragonmaster91; August 7th, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Juan
Brazilian with a bad English

I am making a tool for this.
Besides the cited offsets, need repointer the poke cries, the learned TM/HM, EGG Moves, MoveTutors, icons, the animations(Emerald), etc.
And many of these data have several pointers.

About evolutions, as HackMew said, with ASM it is possible to increase the maximum amount of evolutions.

If someone wants to collaborate on something, send message. ^^

Sorry for my bad english, i'm Brasilian and i used the Google Translator.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here