The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:12 PM
abnegation
adventure

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by →goon View Post
I agree with you for the most part here. I only disagree with the part about tiles. There is nothing wrong with the original tiles. Different tiles aren't going to make the difference between "modifying" and "hacking."

Personally, I see every bit of it as "hacking." Things like new maps and such are only considered "modifying" because it's so easy to open up a map editor and play around. But really, without that map editor, not so many people would be able to map at all. You'd have to have a fairly decent level of hex knowledge to create your own maps.
You missed my point. I feel there cant be one general side, like hacking or modding. But I think someone who, makes their own tiles, makes a whole new town with those tiles and uses it in the game, adds to the % of "hacking" in a ROM. At the end of the the day, both terms relate to each other. When hacking, you are doing both. Some elements however, include more hacking than they do modding and vice versa.
The more original you are, the more of a hack it is, and I'm leaving that to interpretation as it can be denied in some cases, but that was a generalisation.
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:03 AM
.Seth
.explorer.

Nature: Quiet
Well, when it comes down to it, hacking and modifying are essentially the same thing. Hacking is just used in more of a computer science/networking/illegal type sense. Modifying something is basically changing something. And, as a ROM Hacker, hacking means changing something within the game file, which is essentially modification of said game file. In my opinion, when it comes to our sense of the word, hacking and modifying are the same.
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:50 AM
abnegation
adventure

To be honest I do agree. Though if someone was to really nit pick at the words I would say that hacking is just a more in depth version of modding. Modifying seems to be some what of a weak word if you were to talk about ASM coding or something along those lines. But they are much the same of course! I'm not going to go quoting the dictionary, but on terms of hacking, I feel the more you change the ROM the more you hack. But modding and hacking are effectively the same and barely merit the arguement.
Old October 17th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnegation View Post
I feel the more you change the ROM the more you hack.
If nobody believes this girl I will rage.

And if anyone cares, I just pitched a big idea to HackMew. :(

Because the fact that it doesn't exist is a bit of a failure. Why doesn't this exist yet? I seriously cannot be the only one to think of it now.

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old October 17th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Sotomura View Post
If nobody believes this girl I will rage.

And if anyone cares, I just pitched a big idea to HackMew.

Because the fact that it doesn't exist is a bit of a failure. Why doesn't this exist yet? I seriously cannot be the only one to think of it now.
That's... That's... Just plain perfect!
I hope HackMew will accept the idea and maybe implement it into XSE.
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Quote:

This is great idea Hiroshi!
But I guess it'll make scripters more lazy xD

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:25 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
That's correct. You aren't the first to think of it. PKSV already has this (and a better version of it, in my opinion). However, I rarely use PKSV so I suppose having this feature ported to XSE would be helpful.

Brother of Vrai
Old October 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
yah pksv had this feature for a while now and theres a person and it shows his movement its quite nice you should check it out
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcolstyles View Post
That's correct. You aren't the first to think of it. PKSV already has this (and a better version of it, in my opinion). However, I rarely use PKSV so I suppose having this feature ported to XSE would be helpful.
After reading that I'm finding it hard to get whether you're trying to be scornful (particularly over pointing out that this is an existing feature) or not. ;x

That's Our Switch.
Pre-Service Teacher. Tech Guy. Web Designer. PokéCommunity Administrator. Wanderer. Novice Hockey Player. rijonAdventures Developer. #westjournal. Views are my own.
Old October 17th, 2009, 03:42 PM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
pksv has it and a better version than the one you are proposing
Old October 17th, 2009, 04:14 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Quote:
After reading that I'm finding it hard to get whether you're trying to be scornful (particularly over pointing out that this is an existing feature) or not. ;x
Yes, I was trying to be scornful, I suppose. In my defense, I didn't do it because I don't like your idea (quite the contrary, actually) but because I didn't like the passive-aggressive way in which you mentioned that you were the first to come up with the idea.
I still think it would be a nice feature though^^

Brother of Vrai
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Quote:
Originally Posted by narutoactor View Post
pksv has it and a better version than the one you are proposing
I should note that since you practically repeated said thing, I almost thought about marking that post as SPAM. (By the way, I haven't overlooked the amount of threads you've done that in either. Stop. Now.)

That's Our Switch.
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:45 AM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
I don't like the fact that it'll make us go lazy in scripting though...
Also, is it just for movements? No text/speeches and whatever?

So this proposed tool is for those who have difficulty to do movement scripts in their hacks?

I don't see it's importance though...
Old October 18th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Lazier? What are you going to sacrifice, honestly? (To be perfectly honest, making movements alone makes me lazy in regards to developing scripts.)

I mean, is there seriously convenience in remembering a movement code ("Ah! Move up is 11…") and typing it manually?
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x13
#raw 0x13
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0xFE

What if, say, you were starting a script from scratch?

Sure, it helps the younger people, but it's also something that means you don't need to bother remembering or pulling up other scripts just to find commands. Focus your time on making the script, rather than the other parts.

Though, I daresay implementing object-based scripting would be even cooler, but nobody seems to be delving through that realm.

That's Our Switch.
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:30 AM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I didn't say to remember every single movement command.
When I script, I just open a notepad and then open the movement commands I saved in notepad a few years ago.
Also, why script movements like...
Code:
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x13
#raw 0x13
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0xFE
when you can...
Code:
#raw 0x11 0x11 0x11 0x11 0x11
#raw 0x13 0x13 0x11 0x11 0xFE
...?

But well, not everyone are alike. I don't get tired of writing movements. In fact, I find it fun, since I love analyzing stuff.
Maybe it's my analyzing methods that made me conclude that your suggested tool's useless... :\
I wanna apologize for that.

Now I see the point of your tool, yet I think I'll still be sticking with my method of scripting.
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:18 AM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

You dont have to memorise them I made a list in the note section of xse
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

The tool would help a lot of people, and it may inspire those who find scripting movement events hard to start doing them. If this tool did come around, it would help new scripters immensely, perhaps even making better scripts in newer hacks, but then again, it could create lazy people, who would make bad, poorly thought out hacks.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old October 18th, 2009, 07:15 AM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
The tool would help a lot of people, and it may inspire those who find scripting movement events hard to start doing them. If this tool did come around, it would help new scripters immensely, perhaps even making better scripts in newer hacks, but then again, it could create lazy people, who would make bad, poorly thought out hacks.
I think that the tool is a great idea, but what happens when even the lowest of all noobs in the nub world can create a hack? It's going to be even worse that when over the summer, tons of hacks poured into the scrapbox and progressing hacks, but none ever made it into the showcase.

So I think it could be a great thing to have, but it would also reduce the confusion of rom hacking, which is why i like it so much '. It's just when thing I can say that my friends haven't done .

So in the end, I think that the creation of this tool will make Rom Hacking less as a obstacle to be overcame, and just be something that you can learn quickly, and then apply your imagination..
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:20 AM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
Also, why script movements like...
Code:
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x13
#raw 0x13
#raw 0x11
#raw 0x11
#raw 0xFE
when you can...
Code:
#raw 0x11 0x11 0x11 0x11 0x11
#raw 0x13 0x13 0x11 0x11 0xFE
...?
Well, his way is more organized and helps when you want to quickly count how many movements there are. For me, at least, it's easier to count them all vertically as opposed to when they're all on one row. Overall, it's just a lot neater and more efficient, though that might not be the case for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan King View Post
It's going to be even worse that when over the summer, tons of hacks poured into the scrapbox and progressing hacks, but none ever made it into the showcase.
Um, I haven't been around very long compared to a lot of people on these forums but hasn't that always been the case? There always have been and always will be swarms of hacks that most likely aren't destined for the Hacks Showcase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narutoactor View Post
You dont have to memorise them I made a list in the note section of xse
Hm, that's not a bad idea. I had previously used the notes section as a reference for the Person Event No.'s that I plan on using in the script that I'm currently writing but I haven't been using it as much lately now that I've discovered the '#define' preprocessing directive.

Brother of Vrai
Old October 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Chibi Robo
of the entire epoch!

Nature: Jolly
New topic :3
Just need a quick opinion guys
Me and harry (Manipulation) have been arguing on about tiles
He wants to use the standard FR tiles with a bit of ruby in them
But I want to use the new tiles we have already
Anywho I just wanted a few opinions to prove harry wrong on tiles.
thanks~
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Hiroshi Sotomura

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
But well, not everyone are alike. I don't get tired of writing movements. In fact, I find it fun, since I love analyzing stuff.
You still miss the point. The task of writing the codes outright is what I'm on about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Robo View Post
thanks~
This solely depends on whether your tiles look like a molten piece of crap, or they actually look good. D;

That's Our Switch.
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Nature: Modest
Quote:
thanks~
Fire Red FTW
Yay for Harry!

Quote:
You still miss the point. The task of writing the codes outright is what I'm on about.

This solely depends on whether your tiles look like a molten piece of crap, or they actually look good. D;
Okay Hiroshi, as much as I support your idea, I doubt HackMew will use it because he will probably say that you can make a .rbh file for movements e.g.

#define STEP_UP_FAST 0x1E

So, as much as I love your idea, I highly doubt it could be in XSE, although I'm wishing he will put it in XSE. (yet I still wouldn't use it because I'm stubborn ¬_¬)
Old October 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Quote:
thanks~
I'd say use stock FR tiles but that's just my opinion. It's hard to say whether one set of tiles is better than another because it's a matter of opinion. I just prefer the professional look of the standard tiles.

Brother of Vrai
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Quote:
thanks~
FR with a bit of Ruby.

Nintendo's just too good with these things. Their palettes are just awesome.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
hi sir tomato my password is syvniti's Avatar
hi sir tomato my password is syvniti
gggggggggggggggggg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan King View Post
I think that the tool is a great idea, but what happens when even the lowest of all noobs in the nub world can create a hack? It's going to be even worse that when over the summer, tons of hacks poured into the scrapbox and progressing hacks, but none ever made it into the showcase.

So I think it could be a great thing to have, but it would also reduce the confusion of rom hacking, which is why i like it so much '. It's just when thing I can say that my friends haven't done .

So in the end, I think that the creation of this tool will make Rom Hacking less as a obstacle to be overcame, and just be something that you can learn quickly, and then apply your imagination..
the lowest of all noobs in the nub world can alraddy create a hack. That happent years ago. I like the movement tool, just as an add-in to XSE.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here