The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Banjora Marxvile
Oui Oui Si Si Ja Ja Da Da

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Robo View Post
New topic :3
Just need a quick opinion guys
Me and harry (Manipulation) have been arguing on about tiles
He wants to use the standard FR tiles with a bit of ruby in them
But I want to use the new tiles we have already
Anywho I just wanted a few opinions to prove harry wrong on tiles.
thanks~
I gotta say, Firered, but t depends really on whose tiles. But overall, I'd agree with Harry, as FR tiles are seriously underrated.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
Numb for pretentious pain
As he spins the wheel
There's no loss nor no gain...

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
Like Campari and Champagne
I'm on the rocks
Please tell me, What Is My Name?

Old October 22nd, 2009, 12:12 PM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
It all depends if the new tiles look nice. I like originality.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 04:54 AM
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
I guess new tiles are better... since FR ones look boring if ya played FR/LG many times before

By the way is it only me or Scrapbox section has more and more poor hacks and some threads which can't even be consider as hacks?

Anime List | PSN Trophy List

Last edited by Satoshi Ookami; October 23rd, 2009 at 04:59 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Tropical Sunlight
I have another discussion:

If you have Fakemon, what moves & stats do you give them?
Strong? Overpowered? Weak? The catch rate? I wanna know!
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:20 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Well it depends on the fakemon.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
TB Pro
Old-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorful Summer View Post
I have another discussion:

If you have Fakemon, what moves & stats do you give them?
Strong? Overpowered? Weak? The catch rate? I wanna know!
Usually I find a Pokemon that seems similar and model everything off of them.

Ok, I'll elaborate more. (: I model the stats off of said Pokemon by choosing *my idea* of said Fakemon's high stats. Sometimes a little adjustment is needed for certain Fakemon, but I keep it as close to a real Pokemon's stats as possible. The moveset is fairly based off the same Pokemon. Though I usually just use the levels, but that is still modeling, no? I'll usually open up all the moves of the Pokemon's type(via Serebii), as well as look at (in this case)Samson's thread for the moves he has set. Not all Fakemon have this liberty, but the process would be similar. I then lightly model the actual moves and what level it learns them on the same Pokemon. I use the model Pokemon's catch rate.

Last edited by TB Pro; October 23rd, 2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
Blaziquaza

Nature: Jolly
Hm,usually it'll be a Legendary.I usually then give it suitable moves and a catch rate.

And I'm about to break
I need a little room to breathe...

Steam IGN: Hybrid Theory
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
for fakemon I am only going to add like 25 so they will be rare and unique and special better than the average pokemon
Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
Lady Berlitz
Cinnamon ♪

Nature: Adamant
For the FireRed/LeafGreen tiles discussion; Personal preference, I would choose the FR/LG tiles with some changed palettes here and there and maybe a few extra custom tiles. I mean, there's nothing wrong with completely changed tiles, but I personally think that FR/LG tiles are more solid, and usually the finished product of changed tiles is not as good.

For the Fakemon stats discussion: like Jesse said, I would model my new Fakemon to an old Pokémon.
██_______██
_█▲▲▲▲▲▲▲█_
_█████████_
_██_____██_
Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
For the Fakemon, I'd just make them like Pokemon...if they're a legendary, then legendary, if they're a common, then weak.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Nature: Modest
I don't do fakemon but if I did I would overwrite Pokemon that are practiaclly the same (legendary status, stats etc.).

So practically what Jesse said.

I wouldn't use the extra slots unless I really had to use them, simply because changing 25 pointers that lead to the same thing isn't very interesting. (I'd still do it because I'm stubborn ¬_¬)
Old October 24th, 2009, 12:12 AM
The Prince of Sweet Sorrow
The Sorrow is Sweet, as is the Fruit!
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to The Prince of Sweet Sorrow
I've always wanted Pokemon Battles to last longer. If you have a Ho-oh (and you're battling with the same level), you use its Sacred Fire attack, and the battle ends before it even started.
So, i would give the fakemon +defence. And i would make the weak Pokemon easier to catch, and the legendaries very difficult to catch.
I would/will make the ultimate Pokemon, an unbeatable legendary for Nirvana.
Old October 25th, 2009, 09:03 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manipulation View Post
Aren't we all using ROM bases? It's called Pokémon FireRed/Emerald/Ruby etc.
Pretty goood point. And I agree, indeed. What people call "ROM Bases" should actually be "Hack ROM Bases".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
And when can we expect the new way to be released?
Sooner than you might think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manipulation View Post
Well, for me it's first release is a minimum of two gyms. Then I'd like to see five, then eight and finally the finished article. So, I'm in-between medium and long intervals ;P
I think the minimum length is somehow subjective. I'm going to have "only" one gym in my first beta, though that doesn't mean there won't be put enough effort, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathWish View Post
I have another topic. Tell me your opinion, hacking pokemon games is actually hacking or modding?
A friend of mine was bugging me syaing that we're not hacking pokemon games, we're modding them. I don't know if thats true, but i wanted soem opinions.
For most of the people here, he's pretty damn right. Some people said "hacking" and "modifying" is the same. So wrong... They're not interchangeable. Hacking is all about reverse-engineering and discovery. Once everything is broken into little pieces, you can really understand what the game does under the hood. And the more you learn, the more you will realize you have to teach yourself to understand some things to a deeper level. Needless to say if you just keep expecting people to answer your questions, you won't ever be a true hacker, in the actual meaning of the term. Being a hacker requires desire to learn, and patience, among other skills. There's nothing wrong about pre-made tools. At least, there's nothing wrong if you're not totally clueless what gets changed. But if you just use tools, then you're not a hacker. Hackers do make tools sometimes, and they do use them. They are usually better than a plain hex editor for editing known data. But without a hacker that discovered where the data were and their structures, the tools would not exist in first place. Remember: hacking is research, modifying is just what comes after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcolstyles View Post
That's correct. You aren't the first to think of it. PKSV already has this (and a better version of it, in my opinion). However, I rarely use PKSV so I suppose having this feature ported to XSE would be helpful.
Yeah. I am the first one to think of it, I suppose XD
It was like in... summer 2007 LOL

Quote:
I'd say use stock FR tiles but that's just my opinion. It's hard to say whether one set of tiles is better than another because it's a matter of opinion. I just prefer the professional look of the standard tiles.
I like the standard FR/LG tiles. They're nicer that the ones found in R/S/E. But, bringing another related topic: do you people like mixing original FR/LG tiles with totally different-styled tiles (e.g. D/P/Pt/HG/SS)? I dislike that. It's ruins the tileset IMHO. I think all the tiles (pretty much like the original games) should be all in the same style for better homogeneity and a more pleasant look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Caterpie View Post
Nintendo's just too good with these things. Their palettes are just awesome.
Yes and no. I think they could have made them better, though the default FR/LG ones are somewhat decent.
Old October 25th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Spherical Ice
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Spherical Ice
Pointless-Topic-Time:

Do you people edit the transparency of the Movement Permissions on A-Map. If so, what is yours on right now? Mine is on 0.65.
Old October 25th, 2009, 09:22 AM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
Pointless-Topic-Time:

Do you people edit the transparency of the Movement Permissions on A-Map. If so, what is yours on right now? Mine is on 0.65.

Egh, I should, but I usually don't. Now that the topic has come up, I think I'm gonna optimize my A-Map..XD

I'd would like to start another topic.

Hacks are coming up nowadays, having little to no things edited. Other people use rom bases that are commonly known. So, how should one take in perspective of a hack? Should people think of a hack based on the storyline and the background put behind a hack, along with scripts? Or base a rating of a hack on the material edited and the skill of it being edited, such as ow's, maps, tiles, or anyhting that rerpresents it graphically, also along with the scripts?

Last edited by BlitŻ; October 25th, 2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Aljam
Pierce the heavens
Community Supporter Tier 4

I think the storyline is the key. Something compelling and fresh. The story sets the tone of the hack. Without the storyline you have a hack like pokemon pikachu, where they spent like 20 minutes on editing all of the sprites to pikachus.
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:26 PM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljam View Post
I think the storyline is the key. Something compelling and fresh. The story sets the tone of the hack. Without the storyline you have a hack like pokemon pikachu, where they spent like 20 minutes on editing all of the sprites to pikachus.

True, that's one reason why I started this...agh, finally someone who takes my perspective.

But isn't it an added bonus if you have the graphical appearance updated? I mean it's your idea,why not customize the visual image you give the person?
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Aljam
Pierce the heavens
Community Supporter Tier 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan King View Post
True, that's one reason why I started this...agh, finally someone who takes my perspective.

But isn't it an added bonus if you have the graphical appearance updated? I mean it's your idea,why not customize the visual image you give the person?
Yes of course you should do that! But only after you have developed your story. For example my hack, Emerald Thunder, suffered because I thought about the graphics first.( I wasn't really planning on it to become a hack) But I developed a story and it pulled me through further. I just need to expand on the story further. And after watching Power Rangers RPM and other things, I am starting to get a pretty good story down and more ideas (which is good, because i didn't have any ideas for ages) As I said before, and I will say it again, storyline is the key!
Old October 25th, 2009, 05:56 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackMew View Post
For most of the people here, he's pretty damn right. Some people said "hacking" and "modifying" is the same. So wrong... They're not interchangeable. Hacking is all about reverse-engineering and discovery. Once everything is broken into little pieces, you can really understand what the game does under the hood. And the more you learn, the more you will realize you have to teach yourself to understand some things to a deeper level. Needless to say if you just keep expecting people to answer your questions, you won't ever be a true hacker, in the actual meaning of the term. Being a hacker requires desire to learn, and patience, among other skills. There's nothing wrong about pre-made tools. At least, there's nothing wrong if you're not totally clueless what gets changed. But if you just use tools, then you're not a hacker. Hackers do make tools sometimes, and they do use them. They are usually better than a plain hex editor for editing known data. But without a hacker that discovered where the data were and their structures, the tools would not exist in first place. Remember: hacking is research, modifying is just what comes after.
This is a perfect summary of the exact same idea brought up in the document in my signature. I only wish more people would read it (and your abridged version).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
Pointless-Topic-Time:

omg me 2!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan King View Post
EHacks are coming up nowadays, having little to no things edited. Other people use rom bases that are commonly known. So, how should one take in perspective of a hack? Should people think of a hack based on the storyline and the background put behind a hack, along with scripts? Or base a rating of a hack on the material edited and the skill of it being edited, such as ow's, maps, tiles, or anyhting that rerpresents it graphically, also along with the scripts?
For me, what matters most is playability. I'm not talking about the mapping style; I'm saying that the best hacks, in my opinion, are the ones that I enjoy playing the most. I mean, isn't that what we're striving for anyways? These games are a form of entertainment so the one that is the most entertaining should therefore be the best. For this reason, Ruby Destiny: Rescue Rangers is my favorite hack of all time, hands down. destinedjagold did a fabulous job of making the characters come to life (which is, quite honestly, a very difficult task for a simple GBA game) and as I was playing through, I didn't want to stop. I can barely stand playing through most hacks these days, not because of poor quality but because I simply don't enjoy them. But with Rescue Rangers, I just kept coming back for more and that's what makes it such a great hack.

Brother of Vrai
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
Quote:
For me, what matters most is playability. I'm not talking about the mapping style; I'm saying that the best hacks, in my opinion, are the ones that I enjoy playing the most. I mean, isn't that what we're striving for anyways? These games are a form of entertainment so the one that is the most entertaining should therefore be the best. For this reason, Ruby Destiny: Rescue Rangers is my favorite hack of all time, hands down. destinedjagold did a fabulous job of making the characters come to life (which is, quite honestly, a very difficult task for a simple GBA game) and as I was playing through, I didn't want to stop. I can barely stand playing through most hacks these days, not because of poor quality but because I simply don't enjoy them. But with Rescue Rangers, I just kept coming back for more and that's what makes it such a great hack.
I agree with colcolstyles here.

Who cares about great maps or great storyline when the game isn't enjoyable? I mean, isn't the point of a game to play it and have fun? If you're not doing that...what's the point of playing at all? It's just wasting time if you're not getting enjoyment of some sort out of it.

btw, styles, can you send me an IPS for Rescue Rangers? I can't find a working one.
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

How many of you actually make new Gyms with new tiles and everything?
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Banjora Marxvile

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O Turquoise View Post
I haven't yet, that is something I've been meaning to do.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
As he spins the wheel

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
I'm on the rocks

Old October 30th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Tropical Sunlight
The Faltine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

I haven't yet, that is something I've been meaning to do.
Good. Because I'm tired of all those old FR gym tiles.

And I hate (<-pardon, excuse me for the unnecessary expression) it when somebody uses a cave tileset in a Gym. I mean, come on.
Old October 30th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Banjora Marxvile

Quote:
Good. Because I'm tired of all those old FR gym tiles.

And I hate (<-pardon, excuse me for the unnecessary expression) it when somebody uses a cave tileset in a Gym. I mean, come on.
I have seen that.

No worries for FR tiles in my projects. I hack Ruby, but still gonna change the gym at some point.

Man of Steel
He harbors no shame
Got cut a raw deal
But he holds no blame
Gone and forgot to feel
As he spins the wheel

Nerves o
f Steel
He must remain
Even if it kills
To remember my name
A view to a thrill
I'm on the rocks

Old October 30th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Quote:
I did for the old Infernal Legend, but now I'm going Fire Red style.

Sponsored Links